Start by marking “The Queen's Rivals” as Want to Read:
The Queen's Rivals

The Queen's Rivals

Their ambitions were ordinary, but they were born too close to the throne...

As cousins of history's most tempestuous queens, Ladies Jane, Katherine, and Mary Grey were born in an age when all of London lived beneath the Tower's menacing shadow. Tyrannized by Bloody Mary and the Virgin Queen, the sisters feared love was unthinkable —and the scaffold all but unavoidable...

Ra
Published June 25th 2013 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Queen's Rivals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Queen's Rivals

Erin
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Find this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

To be a member of the Tudor court was to accept a life that coexisted with the specter of death. For some, it was a necessary evil, worth the privileges of rank, but for others, social status was a burden, a shadow they'd just as well live without. This is the world that comes brilliantly to life beneath Brandy Purdy's pen in The Queen's Rivals.

Now I've read fictional accounts of Jane Grey before, but none of them come close
Dorina Danila
Un roman de ficțiune istorică nerecomandat fanilor Philippei Gregory. Am scris mai multe pe bloghttps://dorinadanila.com/2018/08/24/r...
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
This was an insanely fun historical novel, a salacious and tawdry look at some of the lesser known Tudor relatives, in the vein of Phillipa Gregory. Following the three Grey Sisters -- Jane (The Nine Days' Queen), Katherine, and Mary -- Purdy's story is sympathetic toward the women who find themselves pawns by blood, marriage, or choice.

Mary narrates the story of her family and the tragic ends her sisters faced. Almost like a fairy tale, each sister embodies a vice or virtue: Jane is brilliant,
Michelle Miller (True Book Addict)
Although I know of Jane Grey's story, her lineage and the circumstances surrounding her execution, I did not know a lot about her family. I certainly did not know that one of her sisters was a dwarf, or that her mother was so very cruel. Now I realize that this is historical 'fiction' and, not having read extensively about Jane Grey, I can't say how historically accurate this book is. However, Purdy has written a great book giving us not only the story of Jane Grey, but a glimpse of the lives th ...more
The Lit Bitch
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Purdy has a very descriptive writing style which I fell in love with! Reading her descriptions of the food, castles, clothes….everything was like seeing it and touching it up close and personal!

It did take me a little bit to get used to Purdy’s writing style though. For me it seemed a little long and dramatic….flowery if you will. Once I got used to it, I was able to become more engaged in the story but it did take a little getting used to at first.

If you are a fan of Phillipa Gregory, you will
Heather
The heroine of this novel is Mary Grey, the youngest sister of Lady Jane Grey. For most of the novel, Mary is about 8 or 9 years old, but has the wisdom and maturity of an adult. She's much wiser and more mature than either of her two older sisters, Jane in particular.

Like the other Brandy Purdy novel I've read, The Boleyn Wife, The Queen's Rivals is full of silly moments and baffling artistic decisions. Also, like The Boleyn Wife, there are moments that are genuinely compelling. There were mome
Donie Nelson
Jul 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Did not finish the entire book; quit after about 75 pages. Writing is lively, erotic & compelling, but unfortunately I knew too much about the subject matter to ignore the liberties taken with history. I plan to read more from this writer on subjects less known to me.
Fictional account of: Jane, Katherine & Mary Grey
Amber
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Most everyone is aware of Lady Jane Grey who usurped the English throne after King Edward VI’s death and before Queen Mary I’s reign. Not everyone is aware of her two younger sisters, Katherine and Mary. In this latest historical fiction book by Brandy Purdy, the author explores the tight bond between the three unfortunate sisters through fictional accounts of their mostly happy early childhood and their early teen years which saw them grow up much too quickly and take on very adult burdens.

I al
Chelsey Wolford
Apr 15, 2013 rated it liked it
This book tells the story of the Grey sisters – Jane, Katherine, and Mary – whom I did not know that much about until after reading. Of course, I did know more about Jane than Katherine and Mary. This story is told from Mary’s perspective because she is the youngest sister and lives the longest. Mary isn’t as attractive or well-liked as her sisters and I loved Purdy’s take on her as a character. This story follows the three sisters up to Jane’s wedding and their lives as royals along with their ...more
Kathleen Kelly
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Queen's Rivals tells the tragic fictional story of the Grey sisters, as told in the voice of Mary Grey. The sisters were very close to each other, their mother Lady Frances Brandon was too worried about appearances and the royal court to pay a lot of attention to her daughters, unless she profited from them. Their father on the other hand was very indulgent if not a little flighty and preoccupied with 'sweets'.
Lady Jane Grey along with her husband and father were executed for what was calle
Andrea Guy
There are certain authors I know will always delight me when it comes to the Tudor Period. One of those authors is Brandy Purdy.

In this Tudor novel we are treated to the lives of the Grey sisters, Katherine, Jane and Mary.

Everyone knows of Jane...who was the 9 day Queen. She's written about quite a bit in historical fiction. What surprised me was that the voice of the story was the younger sister, Mary, who I didn't really know much about until reading this book.

Like all books in the Tudor perio
Patty
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This novel tells the tale of the three Grey sisters; Jane, Mary and Kate. I was quite familiar with Jane's story of course, but not so familiar with her sisters'. It starts from their girlhood and progresses through their tragic ends. It's narrated by Mary - the last of the three to die.

The girls came to their adulthood in dangerous times carrying a dangerous heritage; they were next in line to the throne after Henry VIII's offspring and were therefore used as rallying points for those opposed t
Sharon Chance
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Told from the viewpoint of Lady Mary Grey, the youngest Grey sister, this story is a fascinating look at the political machinations that went on during the Tudor era of England's history. The Grey sisters were just girls who longed for simple lives, but who were caught up as pawns in the race to secure the throne in the uneasy time after the death of King Henry VIII.

I loved the intricate descriptions that author Brandy Purdy used in this story - the details of the foods, the clothes, the jewels
Mar 18, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This book....I couldn't get into it. It's one of the most selfish portrayals of the Grey sisters-filled with horrible fluffy prose and excessive descriptions. It's almost like she tried to pad out a story to make a novel. But that was unnecessary, there's so much factual details to tell. I was lost very early on and found myself sickened by how she charecterized Jane and Katherine Grey. Jane age had bordering on cruelty and Katherine she had so stupidly vapid that I found myself want to suffocat ...more
Jane
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely book

This book is a true tear jerker. The differences in the sisters and their fates was a riveting read. I am not sure of the actual historical significance of the sisters (other than Jane of course), but the telling of their story was an interesting one. The author did a wonderful job on the voice of the little known (to me at least) main character.
Makayla Osipenko
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this! The writing style is clear, but with very beautiful imagery that really captures the time period. The characters were overall very interesting and I wasn't bored once during my journey with this book.
Edna Rankine
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consanguinity

The story of three sisters born and raised in the web of fertility and succession politics, prevalent in the English court during the tenuous reign of the Tudors. A continuous struggle of survival...
Jani Brooks
Jun 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Well written and interesting novel of the Grey sisters - Jane, Katherine, and Mary. Told by Mary, readers are taken through the days leading up to Jane's marriage to Guildford Dudley and the deadly decisions made after Edward's death. Katherine and Mary have their own heartbreak too.
Trina Kubicki
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Children don't talk like that...
Maria
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I often read the kind of tudor fiction that paints Elizabeth I as a victim, books like this actually make her quite unlikeable.
Heather Domin
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Full review posted here: http://teacake421.livejournal.com/129... Summary: I liked it.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Enjoyable, wild, fresh look at life the life of the three Grey sisters.

Review to come 7/17 for the blog tour!
Kelly A.
Review coming soon. I just felt creeped out the entire time while reading this.
Sara Smith
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book about 3 sisters: the beautiful one, the brainy one and the beastly one who are in line to be queen. An interesting story told from the beastly one's perspective.
Apples
Jen_k02
Jan 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 05, 2015 07:38AM

• Roses Have Thorns: A Novel of Elizabeth I (Ladies in Waiting, #3)
  • The Forgotten Queen (Tudor Court #4)
  • Queen Elizabeth's Daughter: A Novel of Elizabeth I
  • I, Jane (In the Court of Henry VIII, #4)
  • Blood Between Queens (Thornleigh, #5)
  • Venus in Winter
  • Thwarted Queen (Thwarted Queen Book 3)
  • The King's Damsel (Secrets of the Tudor Court, #5)
  • Queen of Bedlam (Georgian Queens, #1)
  • My Lady Viper (Tales From the Tudor Court #1)
  • Bessie Blount: Mistress to Henry VIII
  • Coronation of Glory: The Story of Lady Jane Grey
  • The Tudor Conspiracy (The Spymaster Chronicles, #2)
  • Godiva
  • Lady Jane Grey: Nine Days Queen
  • The King Must Die (The Isabella Books, #2)
  • Three Maids for a Crown