Jump to ratings and reviews

Toppling Pedestals

The thought that there was something better out there took Tristan away…then pride almost broke his heart.

Tristan, Samuel and Casey had been friends since grade one. When Casey—the doctor’s son—goes off to university, Samuel and Tristan are left behind in their small hometown. Samuel comes from a poor background and has no money for school. He takes a job in the hardware store that Tristan’s parents own.

Tristan decides to work at the store for a year before joining Casey at school. He’s expected to run the store eventually but wants to explore what’s out there first. Breaking away from the town means breaking Samuel’s heart.

When tragedy brings Tristan home again, will pride stand in the way of letting Samuel know how he feels?

Reader Advisory: This story has been previously released as part of the Sins of Winter anthology by Total-E-Bound Publishing

60 pages, ebook

First published December 1, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

D.J. Manly

241 books263 followers
I write not only for my own pleasure, but for the pleasure of my readers. I can’t remember a time in my life when I haven’t written and told stories. When I’m not writing, I’m dreaming about writing, doing something wild and adventurous, or trying to make the world a better and more open minded place to live in. I adore beautiful men, and I know I’m not alone in this! Eroticism between consenting adults, in all its many forms is the icing on the cake of life!

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (7%)
1 star
1 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews
Profile Image for Arthur.
783 reviews89 followers
January 15, 2013
Tristan, Sam and Casey were best friends since elementary school in a small town. Casey was a rich kid, Tristan was a middle-class kid whose parents owned a hardware store, and Sam was of lower-class kid whose father was in jail and mother worked as a janitor.

When Casey left town for college, Tristan and Sam became an item. Sam worked at Tristan's family store, together with Tristan. But Tristan wanted more and didn't want to be trapped at his hometown at young age. So he joined Casey going to school, leaving Sam heart-broken. He stayed there even after Casey flunked the school and went back home.

When Tristan's father died, he finally went home and decided to stay. He also wanted to start over his relationship with Sam. Only to find out Sam already had a new boyfriend...

This is a nice story, but a bit too angsty for me (although it's nowhere close to Amy Lane's brand.) Plenty of unrequited loves. It may work better if it's longer book. Still, the dynamic among the three friends is interesting.

Is this a menage book?
Profile Image for Michi Rosa.
299 reviews11 followers
January 20, 2013
This is a simple love story. But the characters are so amazing and Tristan's feelings are so exposed and easy to feel that while reading it I sudenly felt a tear drop down my face without even realizing I was crying!

I think it's amazing when a simple book can make you feel that your own heart is being ripped out of your chest when a character's heart is breaking.

Love it.
Profile Image for Lena Grey.
1,544 reviews22 followers
February 13, 2016
Tristan, in 'Toppling Pedestals' by D.J. Manly, is like many young people, who can't wait to get away from home. He feels smothered by his present life, but doesn't have the maturity to see that the people he loves, are worth more than anything he can find anywhere else. Tristan is in love with his best friend, Sam but is too proud to admit it. After all, Sam is a part of the life that Tristan thinks he's outgrown. Tristan won't let anything, including his feelings for Sam, interfere with his desire to leave. So, out of pure selfishness, he leaves Sam behind and brokenhearted.

While apart, however, he begins to miss Sam and starts second guessing his decision. Only when tragedy strikes, does Tristan reassess his priorities. He realizes how much he loves Sam. Tristan swallows his pride and humbly begs for Sam's forgiveness, hoping that it's not too late. He now knows that he can only be happy if he and Sam are together.

If you appreciate a moving, poignant love story reminding us appreciate our blessings and not take what we have for granted, then you will love this story. Thanks, D.J., for this amazing story and your remarkable insight.NOTE: This book was provided by Pride Publishing for the purpose of a review on Rainbow Book Reviews.
Profile Image for Lidia.
2,317 reviews23 followers
February 19, 2013
Who know Manly , knows how beautiful and amazing are the stories that him writes, for who not know still , Toppling Pedestals is a good and moving book to start:love, friendship, smart and cute guys...I forgot, there is a lot of hot sex.
Displaying 1 - 5 of 5 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.