Start by marking “Money, A Love Story: Untangling Your Finances, Creating the Life You Really Want, and Living Your Purpose” as Want to Read:

Having a good relationship with money is tough—whether you have millions in the bank or just a few bucks to your name. Why? Because just like any other relationship, your life with money has its ups and downs, its twists and turns, its breakups and makeups. And just like other relationships, living happily with money really comes down to love. In fact, love is such an ...more
Published September 3rd 2013 by Hay House, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Money, A Love Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Money, A Love Story

Megan
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book is hard to rate. I was ready to love it. I opened myself to it. I did the first several exercises with soul and with gusto. If I had rated it one chapter in, I probably would have given it four or five stars. Then things got strange. The author started to lose me when she began talking about finding more money in what you already have and advised consigning some of those "designer outfits you have in your closet". What? I totally forgot to have any designer outfits in my closet to be a ...more
Jessica
Aug 26, 2013 rated it it was ok
There were a few unique ideas in here. What really stuck with me was just the info I heard from an author in an interview, which is that you should spend your money in line with your values. I took this to mean that, for example, as long as you are out of debt and spending responsibly in most areas you shouldn't feel bad if you enjoy going to Whole Foods and choosing organic produce because this is spending in line with your values. Worth thinking about.

In general, I didn't take a whole lot else
Allie Mullin
Jun 05, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: money
I could not finish this book.

The idea of positively reframing expenses is great, but not original. My own debt is from paying for school and medical bills, so I could not relate to her "saga" of escaping 20K of credit card debt on frivolous things.

Northrup is not very aware of her privilege, and selling this "I'm just like you and I got out of debt!" schtick reinforces her ignorance of what struggles people actually go through when faced with true poverty (choosing which utility bill to buy, spe
Marie Poulin
Sep 26, 2013 rated it liked it
There was some good advice here... a lot of it I had encountered before in other books/workshops, though there were certainly some good reminders and suggestions.
I do enjoy Kate's blog and writing, but I did find it hard to relate to her money story. I know that she earned her money via Network marketing, and seemed to put in a lot of work to make it happen... so given that she has always earned a lot of money, it was hard to sympathize with her Money Story of getting into 20k in debt. The fact
Kate
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book is ok. The tips she gives on adjusting one's attitude about finances are helpful - i.e. referring to bills as "IBARS" - Invoices for Benefits Already Received. The reframing of having to pay your cell phone bill to getting another month of easy access to connect with and talk to friends, family, and business colleagues is helpful.

I also toiled with her priviledge, which she does too. In one case, it's actually rather legitimizing that even though she has all the wealth in the world and
Amber Magnolia Hill
Jan 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Kate Northrup has successfully used her privileged upbringing, her mother's fame and connections, and her obvious explorations into how to best market herself as an expert to gain a huge audience in a short period of time in order to try and recruit them into her network marketing (multi-level marketing or MLM) pyramid scheme.

I read the book. I did the exercises. I watched her videos. I signed up for her email list. I wanted to learn more about, and change my relationship to, money. And then I
Lorilin
Oct 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: financial, arc
I wanted to like this book. Like the author, I, too, love reading financial advice books. Your Money or Your Life, The Millionaire Next Door, and The Total Money Makeover have all helped me get out of debt, build an emergency fund, and contribute monthly to my IRA. I have a much better handle on my money now than I did five years ago, and yet I still enjoy a good book about finances--and especially a good financial come-back story.

Unfortunately, Money, A Love Story fell flat to me. It isn't that
Deana
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I'm actually pretty happy with our financial situation at the moment, but I figure it can never hurt to learn more and make further improvements. This book was rated highly somewhere (I forget where exactly, didn't note it here like I usually do) and looked cute, so it's been on my TBR for a while. When it fit a challenge, I picked it up from the library.

But as you can see from my 2 star rating, I wasn't particularly impressed. Which is kind of interesting, because I seem to be the first person
GONZA
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
There are some great and easy tips to learn how to manage money in this book, too bad that some of them take for granted that money is there ;) or even just a job, or a more or less fix salary ....

Ci sono ottimi e facili suggerimenti per imparare a gestire i soldi in questo libro, peccato che alcuni prevedano che a monte i soldi ci siano, o anche solo un lavoro, o uno stipendio piú o meno fisso....

THANKS TO NETGALLEY AND HAY HOUSE FOR THE PREVIEW!
Andy Nieradko
Sep 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've read fifty times my weight in self-help books, but Kate Northrup's "Money A Love Story" takes the cake as the one I had the most resistance to. I don't think I'm unique in the sense that money is a hot button, uncomfortable, emotional issue for me. It brings up a lot of fear and pain. I'd rather discuss my sex life with my mom, than discuss financial matters. That said, this book was a real eye opener for me. The author has been there, and done that when it comes to debt and overspending. T ...more
Logan Hughes
Sep 14, 2014 rated it did not like it
** SKIMMED/DIDN'T FINISH ALERT ** My review should be taken with a grain of salt, because I didn't finish the book. This should probably not count toward my yearly books goal.

Personal finance advice cribbed from other books mixed with self-helpy feelings exploration and new-agey magical-thinking type spiritualism (think "The Secret").

My theory is that this is a clever sales rep recruiting document by the health supplement direct marketing company the author works for. She mentions it just frequ
Michelle
Dec 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
I have to preface that I'm a financial planner and have read a lot of money books over the years. I can't say that I thought her story would be relatable to many and I felt like she kept rehashing the same lessons over and over again.

I did get a few insights from the exercises, but would recommend Overcoming Underearning if you're looking to move forward fast. This particular book is very elementary and is suitable for beginners.
Emma
Sep 09, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: abandoned-books
I wanted to like this book/save loads of money/be better with money but I couldn't get past the second chapter. I found it painful.

It's about a woman who was $20,000 in credit card debt while paying no rent living in a flat her mum owned who escaped said debt by flogging savings advice and becoming a speaker.
Sonya
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book on positive thinking over your money....a bit of a lead in to her MLM business...overall ok. I pushed thru.
Maranda Carvell
Feb 21, 2015 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book, but I struggled to find any value in it whatsoever. Northrup is so privileged, she is completely clueless about what real life is like for most people. Her story of racking up consumer debt despite a good income and then paying it off by shopping less isn't terribly inspiring or helpful. I appreciated her attitude towards money but there is very little in the way of practical information here (check your bank balance, know how much your bills are) and some of her advi ...more
Eva
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
I must admit I loved the honesty of author where she shares openly her personal money issues and getting into and out of debt. BUT overall I find this book a little immature. Why? For it carries so much the mindset I developed in my late teens and carried throughout my 20s - while I was doing financially fine, most of the time at least, I cannot say I felt happy or fulfilled in money matters. I wanted to be independent. I wanted to have my freedom and my money. Looking back, it sounds really cod ...more
Kitty
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Here is the deal about this book, it's hard to take it seriously after the intro. The author admits in her first chapter to being a spoiled rich kid, who once out on her own, managed to rack of $20,000 of credit card debt while hypocritically traveling around the US telling other people how to manage money. That was her low point in life, she was still making tons of money throughout this time (6 figures), and was running a business by riding the coattails of her mother.
Her attempt to make you
Tristesse
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
There is the typical financial advice here but it comes at you through the filter of naming your values and spending in alignment with them. I particularly like the section on True Financial Freedom because obviously that sounds great to me.

I committed to reading this book and doing the exercises like a course and in this way benefit from the advise. So let's see if I am financially free in a few years shall we!
Jenny Karlsson
Jan 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. However, I had just finished Overcoming Underearning by Barbara Stanny and many of Northrup's concepts weren't new. That doesn't mean the concepts weren't good though but Stanny's book SAS equally great. This book is filled with lots of great exercises. I'll admit that I didn't do most of them though. This kind of book I want to re-read and then do the exercises. Goal for 2015? Yes.
Sina
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it provided lots of advises on how to appreciate and love money. The author discuss about how we earn money, how we value our money, and ourself. Also, the author shares practical ways of how to handling our finances. If you are looking for a new way to look at money I recommend this book to you.
Karen
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
I'm abandoning this halfway through. I simply can't tolerate Northrup's patronizing tone or her implications that all women are bad with money and only interested in clothes. Some of the exercises here are valuable, but I found myself rolling my eyes way too often while reading this.
Sarah Young
May 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
While I really wanted to like this book based on reviews from friends, the content felt light - and the story felt a bit superficial and hard to relate to. That said, there are a few good tips, and the book is an incredibly quick read.

Rose Grass
Aug 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A summary would be nice

It's not that she doesn't have some good advice, but it mostly seems like she just wants to hear herself talk. Over all your time is better spent on another prosperity or financial book.
Natasha Elliot
Oct 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
I simply couldn't finish this book - nothing new here and I couldn't relate...
Emma Inwood
Mar 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get past one of the very first chapters, in which she tells us her money story with the idea that we will identify with it.

Nope. Her story did not resonate with me, and I felt like she was less qualified to be writing a book like this.

Here's what you need to know before buying this book. She grew up very privileged and spends most of the chapter telling you about her many privileges in life - the child of two successful doctors, nice vacations, never having to worry about money, ever.
Debashri
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's a lovely combination of LOA and very practical money management information. Ultimately, managing money is about being aware of your financial situation, budgeting, saving, finding extra or alternative sources of money and maintaining responsibility as a regular practise.

The difficult part is having the nerve and the sense to take a look at what you're spending and where money is coming from. I like this book because it has a very positive spin on facing your financial fears head on.

It ask
Sheryl Garratt
Jun 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Badly written rehash of basic financial advice with undigested dollops of self-help books and away- with-the-fairies wu-Wu spirituality. Skimmed much of it, found little of use at all. Perhaps if you too have racked up a big credit card debt buying designer clothes, are addicted to personal development seminars, and you are struggling to escape from the shadow of a wealthy, best-selling author mom, you might identify with this. If not, there are far better money books out there (Ramit Sethi, for ...more
Stephanie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
This book is just one big humble brag and MLM pitch. It is a very quick read (under 24 hours here), but I wish I hadn't even bothered. I kept reading thinking something would come of it, but alas, nothing. I don't even NEED the financial advice. I really was thinking there would be some content on being a freelancer or working from home. Instead it was as fluffy and sales-y as her blog.

Don't even bother. Trust me there are at least a million better finance books on the market. Someone who encour
Michelle Cornish
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book two or three years ago and it sat on my shelves ever since. I'm not sure why. I guess I didn't want to be reminded of my money story. I'm sure glad I finally read it! This is one of the few books I've read that talks about our emotional connection with money and how to heal past money beliefs in order to become financially free. There are tons of great practical tips regarding earning more, paying down debt, and finding a career/life path you love. I highly rcommend this bo ...more
Valerie Gangas
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really powerful book on finding prosperity from the inside out. It will help you shift your thinking when it comes to money. And if you want to change your reality, you must change your thoughts. When you begin taking steps towards your desires, the universe will meet you more than halfway. But it must start with you. This book will get you moving in the right direction. Hooray for financial consciousness as an act of self-love🙌🏽
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Overcoming Underearning: A Five-Step Plan to a Richer Life
  • Reveal: A Sacred Manual for Getting Spiritually Naked
  • The Fire Starter Sessions: A Soulful + Practical Guide to Creating Success on Your Own Terms
  • The Energy of Money: A Spiritual Guide to Financial and Personal Fulfillment
  • Double Double: How to Double Your Revenue & Profit in 3 Years or Less
  • Lucky Bitch: A Guide for Exceptional Women to Create Outrageous Success
  • May Cause Miracles: A 40-Day Guidebook of Subtle Shifts for Radical Change and Unlimited Happiness
  • Shiny Objects: Why We Spend Money We Don't Have in Search of Happiness We Can't Buy
  • Busting Loose from the Money Game: Mind-Blowing Strategies for Changing the Rules of a Game You Can't Win
  • A Witch's World of Magick: Expanding Your Practice with Techniques & Traditions from Diverse Cultures
  • All the Money in the World: What the Happiest People Know about Getting and Spending
  • Angels of Abundance: Heaven's 11 Messages to Help You Manifest Support, Supply and Every Form of Abundance
  • Red Hot and Holy: A Heretic's Love Story
  • Mind Over Medicine: Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself
  • Self-Promotion for Introverts: The Quiet Guide to Getting Ahead
  • The Tapping Solution: A Revolutionary System for Stress-Free Living
  • Worthy: Boost Your Self-Worth to Grow Your Net Worth
  • Be Your Own Shaman
“Somewhere along the way we've gotten the message that the more we struggle and the more we suffer, the more valuable we will become and the more successful we'll eventually be. And so we overwork ourselves, overschedule ourselves, and become "busier than thou" because we think there's some sort of prize on the other side of the pain we cause ourselves. And you know what? There's no prize. All you get from suffering is more suffering.” 2 likes
“our power in any moment lies in our ability to get into agreement with what’s happening—to fall in love with your story. The more we push up against something, the more we find it wrong, and the more we wish it were different, the more powerless we are to create the reality that we desire. Conversely,” 2 likes