Start by marking “Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family” as Want to Read:
Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family

Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  725 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Do you feel that your family is not what it used to be, or what it has the potential to be? Do you worry that the parenting decisions you're making today may be scarring your child for life? Do you sometimes feel you are in a tug-of-war with the world over who will shape your child's values and beliefs?With Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Fam ...more
Published January 29th 2013 by Free Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Family First, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family First

Henrik
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those wanting easily read, yet fairly erudite, books on raising children; those liking Dr. Phil
SEPTEMBER 2015: Still a good book doing what it aims at doing.

AUGUST 2011: Now that our daughter is two years old I thought I'd better re-read this again, as she is now at the age where it is relevant;-) Will be interesting if I think the same this time around.

2008:
By the end of the year we're going to have a child, so I thought I better start learning something... I am barely halfway into the book, but so far, so good. Yes, it is fairly light reading--but sometimes that's a good thing;-) Light
Jaime
Aug 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What a schmuck (me--for even picking this book up for free). It's clearly written to capitalize on his new notoriety and is largely repetitive soapboxing of arrogance interspersed with DUH! common sense. Some narrow-sighted 'quizes' are also included. He had a couple of points that were good reminders for me, but I should've read them from a parenting book whose philosophy I'm behind. Suck it, Dr. Phil.
Penelope
Nov 29, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
yes I admit I read Dr.Phil books.
Tamara Minawi
حقاإنه من الكتب الملهمة التي لا أستطيع إلا أن أقول بأنه من الكتب التي سأعيد قراءتها ان شالله ..مع أني قرأت الكثير في هذا المجال وكنت قد صرفت النظر عن متابعة القراءة فيه ..إلا أن عنوان الكتاب ومقدمة الكاتب أشعرتني أن فيه شيئا مميزا وجديدا نوعا ما .. وبالفعل لم يخب ظني فالكتاب يحمل في طياته الكثير من النصائح والدروس والعبر المهمة والقيمة لكل مربي .. وأهم ما يميز هذا الكتاب عن غيره الاختبارات السيكلوجية والنفسية لمحاولة دراسة نفسية المربي قبل أن يشرع في تقويم اسلوبه التربوي .. !

يتحدث الكتاب عن الأس
Sep 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Phil words things the way I wish I could, know what I mean? On his show, he knows just how to read two people barking at each other and just how to help them. It's unrealistic to assume every guest swallows his 30-second life-changing advice at the very end and walks away hugging relatives and chasing butterflies, but I still like hearing him out.

So listening to this audio book was helpful. Family first. Amen to that. I particularly was intrigued by his references to his own childhood and,
Allison Fetch
Apr 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
It really did take me a year and a half to finish this one...I wish I'd stuck with it because the tools he describes in the second half of the book are true gems. I have seen every episode of Dr Phil ever filmed, I think, and this book was very much like a distillment of his family advice, but with a lot of workbook activities added in. Invaluable info in my opinion, especially if dealing with difficult family dynamics but also useful even if things are rolling along pretty well. He asks you to ...more
Aasim Waheed
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Phil's logic makes good sense to me. In all of his books I've read, I didn't see anything that was difficult to implement, or for which logic was complex. For me this book was an easy read since nothing came as a surprise to me, only as good ideas or in some cases good reminders.

The book says "Family" First but actually it talks mostly about relationship of parents with kids. If you have any difficulties with your kids, or even if you dont, this book can be a good help.

My rating: 9/10
Lindsey
Oct 11, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a huge Dr. Phil fan so I was skeptical in reading this. It was a good, light read with some key points in there you can take to heart. I do like the interactive assessments he has that allow you to find your parenting style and the personality type of your child/children. It is nice when you can personalize his suggestions for your family based on those. He has some good reflection questions that allow you to evaluate your parenting skills and set goals for changes you might wish to make ...more
GardenSinger
There was definitely some good info in here for parenting your everyday child and managing a family.

However, much of the advice/strategies were not applicable to our situation...a child diagnosed with ADHD will not respond/change based on these data. It did help me to study our child and our parenting styles and begin to analyze our own particular needs as a family.
Tiffany Buckendahl
Lots of exersizes & assessment solutions for specific problems & the steps you need to take. How we as parents are our childrens models & the fact that most of us are failing at this. Mostly the book has a lot of good sound advice, some I did disagree with. Like for example if the parents are neat the child will be too.
Oznasia
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Dr Phil tells you how to raise a phenomenal family. And guess what? It's not going to be easy. If you are committed, you can do it. Even if your family is in a mess right now he tells you how to set it straight. But I have to wonder how many are prepared to put in the necessary work.

Read this book before you decide to have a family. If it doesn't put you off then go ahead.
Cindy
Dec 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've learned a lot about being flexible with my parenting style. I think alot of the book had common sense advice but still great reminders. I especially liked the last two chapters on focusing on what qualities are most important to you in your family.
Bobbie Grob
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a big fan of Dr. Phil and his straightforward advice. This book offers a lot of useful information and, while the tips and advice did not really pertain to my family, reading this book made me feel that I already have a phenomenal family.
Rita Boissonneault
This is not the first time I have read this one. I love dr. phil and agree with him on most everything. Lots of work involved in this book if you do it correctly but I think we could all work on ourselves.
Stephanie
Mar 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got a lot of good ideas from this book, things to try in my family and to try to improve myself. Good reading, if you like Dr Phil's style. I even highlighted parts that I want to really work on, remember and put into practice, and now I am going to do a quick-reference notebook or something :)
Thewritingmommy
Aug 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
liked the ideas presented but some of them are more ideals than practical ideas. still, i think if all parents wold read it, at least they would have more tools for parenting and maybe we would have a generation of children who grow up more balanced and socially adept.
jennifer
Do not discount this book just becuase it is written by Dr. Phil. I personaly think his show has gone to pot and that he has fallen the way of dumb talk shows that I refuse to watch --that said I agree with lots in his book. He has some good ideas for help with raising your kids.
Tina
Jun 12, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have had this book for a while but didn't start reading it diligently until recently. Watching Fast Times at Ridgemont High with my mommy eyes while folding load after load of laundry was alarming. I decided I need to start yesterday if I don't want my kids to turn out like those characters!
Janet Crandell
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chocked full of ideas and things to think about when becoming a parent Every couple should read this and discuss what kind of family they want when they have their first child. Really liked this book.
Sherry
May 27, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006-2010
Practical and yet over the top the way that only Dr. Phil can be. Many helpful insights - even if you don't have a "problem" child or "dysfunctional" family. I found this book to be a positive learning experience and look forward to applying the methods to my family.
Christina
Jul 18, 2008 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I got almost halfway through this book but then I started reading something else and got away from it. Now it's been too long so I've taken it off my currently reading list and put it back on my to-read list and then I'm going to start over at some point.
Richard Kravitz
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Dr. Phil's books, they are inspiring and so matter of fact. I tried to do more with this book, introducing it to my wife, trying to do the exercises with her, but she just wasn't into it, so nothing happened.

I thought it was a good book!
Apr 13, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Why is this man so popular? He says nothing of substance. The only reason I read this book is because Border's gave it to me free during a premotional period. Who am I to look a free book in the face?
Amanda
Jul 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this was really helpful for me to understand how and why my children respond the way they do to my style of parenting... now if I could just get better at parenting them the way that is best for them.
Pants
Jan 19, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I kinda like Dr. Phil. He's practical. I don't always agree with how he says things. "You gotta chase that skunk into the hole, ride the dog in and chase your grandma!" What? Ok, so he didn't really say that, but that stuff is there. I liked the book.
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
So i had a hard time reading this book... I have heard a lot of failures for the author in his personal life....and really believe in practicing what you preach...so low rating...i think the content probably ok...just didn't feel like it was original either...similar to love and logic methodology.
Dee
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how I felt about this book. There is some good advice in there, obviously, but I think I'm not the self-help type of person. It was motivating at the time, though I can't really remember anything about the book almost two years later except that Dr. Phil quoted the Blackeyed Peas...
Melissa
Sep 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good basic fundamental information for families raising kids.
Maria
Sep 17, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is really good....It talks about the type of parent you are and your child is and the type of approach to take when disciplining.
Tbone
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is great for parents. as parents there is no great instruction manual but this book comes close.
  • Growing Up Again: Parenting Ourselves, Parenting Our Children
  • The 7 Worst Things Good Parents Do
  • Raising a Thinking Child: Help Your Young Child to Resolve Everyday Conflicts and Get Along with Others
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life
  • How Could You Do That?!: The Abdication of Character, Courage, and Conscience
  • We Love Each Other, but... Simple Secrets to Strengthen Your Relationship and Make Love Last
  • Supernanny: How to Get the Best From Your Children
  • Women's Reality: An Emerging Female System in a White Male Society
  • Say Goodbye to Whining, Complaining, and Bad Attitudes... in You and Your Kids
  • Being Adopted: The Lifelong Search for Self
  • Behavior Modification: What It Is and How to Do It
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas For Everyday Discipline
  • Children Are from Heaven: Positive Parenting Skills for Raising Cooperative, Confident, and Compassionate Children
  • The First National Bank of Dad: The Best Way to Teach Kids About Money
  • Inside My Heart: Choosing to Live with Passion and Purpose
  • The Optimistic Child
  • Life Strategies For Teens (Life Strategies Series)
  • Hide or Seek
20333
Phillip Calvin McGraw, best known as Dr. Phil, is an American television personality, psychologist and author who is the host of the psychology themed television show Dr. Phil. He gained celebrity status following appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show.
More about Phillip C. McGraw...

“I ask you to go back and read them over again, and this time answer them keeping in mind that you are writing your children’s future with your answers.” 0 likes