Start by marking “Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong” as Want to Read:
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  3,283 ratings  ·  227 reviews
From award-winning journalist David Walsh, the definitive account of the author’s twelve-year quest to uncover and make known the truth about Lance Armstrong’s long history of performance-enhancing drug use, which ultimately led to the cyclist’s being stripped of his seven Tour de France titles.

The story of Lance Armstrong—the cyclist who recovered from testicular cancer a
Published January 29th 2013 by Atria Books (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Deadly Sins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Deadly Sins

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong
Catherine Howard
(3.5 stars, Kindle)

Having not known what a peloton was a few months ago (and having never watched a minute's worth of cycling before the Olympics), the Lance Armstrong doping scandal has had me on a bit of a Tour de France/professional cycling book binge of late, and SEVEN DEADLY SINS by David Walsh, one of two Irish journalists (the other being Paul Kimmage) who refused to buy the Armstrong fairytale, is my latest.

The problem with this book is that, while fascinating, its writing was obviously
Bob Mayer
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Finally. The crazy man has been exposed. He's not just crazy, he destroyed people's lives. I did a blog post about six months ago suggesting Lance Armstrong wasn't exactly a saint and got savaged so badly in the comments section, I withdrew the blog.

It would be just bad if he only affected himself. But he hurt many people. He accused people of things that weren't true while lying through his teeth.

What is interesting is Walsh's motivation for getting started on Lance-- his own personal trauma an
Stephen Huntley
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it
Infuriating book. I was keen on it, given the positive reviews, but the first time I tried to wade through it I managed to page 115 and gave up. I felt it had been mis-sold; rather than a revelatory investigative piece on Armstrong it was a yawn-fest of an autobiography on a weak and untalented writer who clearly saw himself as some campaigning vigilante super-hero who was far superior in ability, ethics, personality and clean-living than any other journalist alive. Having just read the superb T ...more
Marykay Pogar
Jun 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Really hard to follow and given to sudden,inappropriately inserted moments of snark. Not worth reading unless you'd rather know more about why David Walsh is the bravest, most fearless sportswriter ever than how Lance Armstrong's doping was finally exposed.
Jack
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport, non-fiction
David Walsh at his angry best. He brings up to date his tale of the vendetta waged against himself and Paul Kimmage by Armstrong until their vindication in 2012. A very honest account of an extraordinary investigation, giving full recognition to all those who did not believe the Armstrong myth that suckered so many people.

This would be a five star review but for two things.

First, it lacks an index which is a major no-no for a non-fiction book.

Second, Walsh has a much better book on the same su
Nichiless Dey
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cycling
David Walsh's Sisyphus has finally emerged victorious over his eternal struggle with the boulder - half man, half media - named Lance Armstrong. Beautifully written, shocking, occasionally heartbreaking, often resulting in the 'ah, of course, now that makes sense' sigh, and a vindication, indeed beacon of hope, to all real journalists eking a living out there in the nether world that professional sport has become. Ask the questions that demand asking, without fear. Cycling is a truly great sport ...more
John Martin
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The media needs people like David Walsh to keep the bastards honest. Lance Armstrong did not just commit sports biggest fraud, he used spin, lies, charm and marshmallow-soft people in the media and officialdom to destroy people. The whole episode was sickening. Walsh was like a dog with a bone, frustrated by a legal system that worked against him, but refusing to be muzzled and refusing to give up his bone. He only had to think back to the words of his late young son for inspiration. His son dar ...more
Alaina
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
The obvious first: this book needs more editing. It has extensive grammar problems, including missing commas and tense shifts, that make it somewhat hard to read. That, combined with the slow start, almost made me give up. I'm glad I stuck with it though. The story picks up after the first few chapters, and once I was involved in the story the grammar didn't bother me as much.

As someone who became interested in cycling primarily because of Lance, I was shocked reading this book to realize how mu
Georgia
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: biographical
This is definitely not what it seems. I was expecting a Lance Armstrong biography-style book with focus on doping and his outrageous behavior. Unfortunately, it's more of an autobiography of the journalist author and poorly written. I gave up after 250 pages because I saw no improvement unfortunately.
Luana
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Professional cycling has always exercised an "omerta" and it has played a significant role in the endurance of a drug culture. But more than a code of silence is at work here and it is not coincidental that the Sicilian word has become so associated with the peloton, because when a rider breaks the code, he can expect a mafia-like response."

Questo libro ruota attorno alla ricostruzione di una, se non della, frode sportiva più clamorosa della storia. David Walsh è un giornalista irlandese, grand
Rishi Prakash
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It takes a LOT to stand against a very popular and successful sports star at the peak of stardom. The author and the journalist-David Walsh- did that against all odds and finally came on top when the scandal was discovered after almost 10 long years where Lance Armstrong went on to win 7 consecutive Tour-de-France and re-wrote all the records of professional cycling world.

David Walsh lived and breathed the Lance Armstrong story for years--years when he reported (into a headwind!) facts that few
Ramon van Dam
An interesting take on the hunt for Lance Armstrong, but it could have been a lot better. On several occasions this feels more like an autobiography by Walsh about himself and that's just not as interesting as the subject that the title promises us to be the main focus.

It is worth it as an in-depth explanation of all the tricks that Lance and his close associates used to cheat his way to the top though. I am a very big fan of the sport of cycling and doping is unfortunately a very big part of it
Dave
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reading this book I wondered aloud at quite how this story was kept secret for as long as it was. Growing up I was blissfully unaware of all that was going on to do with Lance Armstrong and reading it from this new perspective was both freeing and judging in equal measure. This book once again reminds me of the undoubted value and power in journalism and how some choose to use it to retain the orders while other like David Walsh use it to reveal that the Emperor is indeed wearing no clothes. Tha ...more
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
The subject got 4 stars.
The writing got 3 stars for clumsiness.
I always knew he had done a bad thing.
I always knew what the bad thing was.
I didn’t know what a bad man he was and how many people he coerced, threatened, and downright damaged along the way.
He truly was cruel.
What really bothered me most was the fact that he really never paid for his crimes when others did.
Roger
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
David Walsh, or the "little Troll" as he was referred to by Lance Armstrong, has written quite a bit on both Armstrong and doping in sport - famously, he co-authored L.A. Confidentiel, which in 2004 laid out the doping case against Armstrong pretty much as has been admitted by him early this year (after both the authors and sources of that book suffered legal harassment from Armstrong for years).

Seven Deadly Sins is a more personal work by Walsh, and is the story of his journey to prove that Arm
Rachel72
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fic, sport
This was really interesting, and Walsh is an engaging writer. It's not just an account of a couple of journalists' determination to expose doping in sport, but a sobering illustration of the power of the popular image of some sporting heroes. I knew little about what led to Armstrong's eventual exposure other than what had been reported in the mainstream media here, nor did I have any appreciation of how much courage it took for those who did speak out in the face of serious obstacles. At times ...more
Gumble's Yard
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Surprisingly good and original read despite all the source material being covered so many times over.

Particularly insightful and honest about areas such as: the timing of Armstrong's first tour win coming after the death of Walsh's son and Walsh and Kimmage taking a principled but unpopular stand against Michelle Smith; Walsh's obsession with Armstrong which causes even Paul Kimmage to eventually challenge it and a which sometimes reveals itself in amusing incidents such as when they launch a d
Alan Hamilton
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book and a truly rivetting read, even if you know nothing about cycling.
It presents the author's lengthy pursuit of Armstrong in fine, very readable detail and confirms Armstrong as a cheat and a liar long before the US Doping Agency case. It describes the lengths that powerful people go to to suppress the truth and how easy it is for lawyers to silence the 'trolls'.....especially in the UK.
It normally takes me a few weeks to read a book, but I got through this one in a coupl
Rob
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
A bit of a disappointment. David Walsh has a point when he claims sports journalists are often 'fans with a typewriter'. There definitely is a need for a more critical approach.

Walsh is a critical investigator, but unfortunately he retains the style of a sports writer. Rather unstructured, elaborate and heroic prose. In this case the hero is Walsh himself.

Walsh only sings one theme, and has filled at least three books with it.

Not the ultimate book on modern cycling, that would be Tyler Hamilton
Ankur Maniar
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book written in a witty style by a journalist who was good enough not to loose his senses for thirteen years while the Lance Armstrong saga unfolded. David Walsh comes across as a genuine sports lover and especially a die hard cycling fan.. The investigation and the perseverance shown by him is extremely commendable. He is quite candid about his personal life during this time and shows us how a journalist with integrity has to work against all odds. Your impressions about Lance Armst ...more
Fran
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
David Walsh's fascinating account into one of the biggest sporting frauds ever is never anything less than fascinating. Lance Armstrong whose biography I devoured long ago will forever be a source of disappointment but after reading this, which details all the bullying, the lies and his horrible attitude towards fellow riders and the press, I realise that I got off very lightly. David Walsh who was always mocked for not believing deserves eternal credit for sticking to his guns and my thanks go ...more
Katherine Coble
Jun 15, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I bought this ($17.99 on Kindle! Steep...too steep) because it's the source material for the Lance Armstrong biopic due later this year (2015).
I was expecting a tense nail-biter of a story, something along the lines of _All The President's Men_. Instead I got tedious autobiographical details about Walsh. I don't need to know about his dinner out with a cyclist. I don't care about how he wheedled expenses out of the publications he wrote for. I decided I was done when he brings his tragically-ki
Steph
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nbhs, read-2016
An entertaining read, following Walsh's investigative journey into Lance Armstrong's Tour de France success. I felt I was in trusted hands with David Walsh's journalism background and found myself at different times amused and appalled. I want to give this book to everyone who thinks that just because athletes pass their drugs tests that means they're not cheating.

After finishing the book I went and checked out Armstrong's twitter profile. I was pretty sickened to see that he still has "7 X TdF
Jen Welch
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Excellent investigative journalism and written in an engaging way. The structure fell over a bit though. It had the feeling of being rushed to publish Owen the story broke and that the well written parts were a rehash of his previous book. It still paints a picture of how rife doping was and the extent of the lies that had to be told. It is great that the author pursued the truth to a point, although it seems his obsession was almost to the point of stalking.
Sandie
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, cycling
The hardest rock to swallow is not that Lance doped, but that he was so immoral and aggressive in trying to prevent others from sharing their truth. Did that part of him come from wanting to win or was it there all along? He left a lot of bodies in his wake- I hope that if he ever has regrets of what he has done to the sport of cycling, he was also consider what he has done to the others that loved the sport as he did.
Nov 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Couldn't put this down. Very compelling story on a number of levels and reveals a little of what it is like to be a sports journalist. Some of the writing could be tightened up, but this is a mix between the author's very personal story and the Lance Armstrong story.
Dustin
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
A tough book to get through, not because of the material but just boring bordering narcissism by the author. Only picked it up after I heard an upcoming movie was being made of it. Think I will stick to the book writing styles of Daniel Coyle and leave the newspaper reads to David Walsh.
Tracey Redmond
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The rise and fall of Lance Armstrong. Whats not to love! If you love cycling books (warts and all!) this ones for you.
Robert
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One if best sports books ever read. Reading it after event and story came out how did he ever get away with it!!
Journalism at its best
James
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three quarters of this was a heartfelt, personal account of how a journalist came to be a persona non grata in cycling, with a great balance of factual detachment and personal emotion with developed characters. The last part was disappointing, and Walsh didn't make it clear if this was because he was no longer so intertwined with the sport or whether he just wasn't as passionate about it, and was anticlimactic.

The striking thing about the story was that, assuming Walsh's depiction of his article
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Racing Through the Dark
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • Rough Ride: Behind the Wheel with a Pro Cyclist
  • Slaying the Badger: LeMond, Hinault and the Greatest Ever Tour de France
  • Domestique: The Real-life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro
  • Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong
  • Pro Cycling on $10 a Day: From Fat Kid to Euro Pro
  • Wheelmen: Lance Armstrong, the Tour de France, and the Greatest Sports Conspiracy Ever
  • The Tour According to G: My Journey to the Yellow Jersey