Start by marking “Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets: A Real-Life Scottish Fairy Tale” as Want to Read:
Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets: A Real-Life Scottish Fairy Tale

Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets: A Real-Life Scottish Fairy Tale

In this inspiring, delightful memoir, a young woman decides to escape the daily grind and turn her “what if” fantasy into a reality, only to find work—and a man—she loves in one fell swoop, all in a secondhand bookstore in a quaint Scottish town.

Jessica Fox was living in Hollywood, an ambitious 26-year-old film-maker with a high-stress job at NASA. Working late one night,
Published August 27th 2013 by Atria Books/Marble Arch Press (first published April 10th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets

Autumn
Sep 30, 2013 rated it did not like it
Changed my review to one star. If I could rate it zero stars, I probably would. "Euan/Shaun" made a point of commenting on my review, and I take it back, he's not only passive-aggressive, but bat-shit crazy to boot. I see he's since deleted some of his more asinine and quite frankly, RUDE comments (perhaps he realized that when you put yourself in the public eye, people are going to comment?) But here's a synopsis of the remaining comments. (I've since blocked him because as much fun as getting ...more
Moon
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In this book Jessica leaves the states (and her job at NASA) for a wonderful romantic fairy tale of a life in Scotland, living in a used bookstore. Wow... I would love that! It leads you into a wonderfully written romance, that is funny and a just a joy to read! It really made me want to visit Scotland, and renewed my dream of owning a used bookstore.

Really good book!

photo tumblr_ltpdnise5d1qligumo1_400_large.gif

I was really lucky to have won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway! Aren't I lucky?
Shelly
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Shelly by: Jen Campbell
I cam across Jessica's story from The Bookshop Book by Jen Campbell
Talking of the BookTown Wigtown in Scotland, she makes a reference to Jessica and mentions that it's another story in Three Things you Need to Know About Rockets.
I was intrigued and off I went on an enchanting story.

Because that's what this book is, enchanting.
The story of a young, accomplished women, having a thought and going for it. So very few of us have the courage to follow our dreams but she did.
It reminded me of reading
Ally
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book. The idea of leaving everything behind and starting a new life in a remote, small town in Scotland...sounds lovely and romantic. However, I found the protagonist (Jessica) to be completely insufferable. Being that this is essentially a romance story, you should want Jessica and the love interest (Euan) to live happily ever after. But, I found myself rooting for Euan...to see how selfish, demanding, and insecure she really was, and to realize that all of her emot ...more
Shelley Carr
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Rebecca (StayingUpTillMorning)

Overall a short but enjoyable travel memoir. I generally enjoy these types of books and find them particularly inspiring when the author does something a bit different.

Jessica Fox certainly does something a bit different. She leaves her life in Hollywood, and her work with NASA, to live in a small Scottish town. She volunteers in a book shop. She reflects on her life. All great.

So why only a 3/5 rating? Well I didn't like Jessica's writing style. Both her dialogue and what happens throughout the
Morgan
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
I came for the bookstore and Scotland and the descriptions there of were , to be fair, lovely as was the narrative style.... I did not, however, come for the Scottish version of He’s Just Not That Into You ( look, I realize he clearly cared but “fairy tale” or even “love story” it was not) sorry.
Marti
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
The quirky path that is taken.

Three Things You Need to Know About Rockets by Jessica Fox is a new book being published in July. It is a memoir about Jessica as she chooses a new path in her life. She left a job at NASA in California and moved all the way to Scotland to a used bookstore and found love. Sometimes you need to find a new path, especially when new visions surround you.

Memoirs are books that are written as a narrative containing personal observations. They are intended to be true and
Jessica (booneybear)
It takes a special kind of person to pack up a life and move across the country. I for one am not that kind of person, I crave routine and just moving to a town 15 miles away from my birthplace was more than traumatic enough for me. I envy someone that has the guts to move across the world (and especially for a guy).

Jessica Fox has the kind of spirit and life that makes for good storytelling (unlife my safe and predictable life). Unfortunately, I could not really relate to her because of the fa
Kari Burk
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessica Fox deserves an 'A' for her effort in creating this book. This would probably be a 'goodread' for someone like my niece, a young woman in her early twenties getting ready to go to Europe for education and adventure. I enjoyed the author's link/reference to Joseph Campbell, specifically 'The Hero's Journey' and how Herman Melville would show himself to her at key points in her own journey. Her use of 'relative' quotes from author's books within the bookstore in her book at the beginning o ...more
Sue
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Jan
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this book after I had met the author who welcomed me and my husband to The Open Book, a co-op/airbnb opportunity in Wigtown, Scotland. Jessica is now the development director of the Wigtown Book Festival, and her book provided a wonderful background to the people and places that we were experiencing in the moment. I really liked the book, especially the theme of following your dreams no matter how far-fetched they might seem. It's the only way to see if you can make them come true.
Kinda ruined this book for myself by doing research and finding the real "Euan" - after that all the hoards of women after him and the romantic image sort of fell flat.I hear he's from the Bernard Black school of book shop owners so not really buying the portrait paid here.. Authoress is really pretty.. guess there mustn't have been much to choose from in Wigtown..
Jackie
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A perfect book to read during stress-free moments of the holiday season. I loved her writing style and found the quotations that began each chapter to be thoughtful. I will be recommending this book to anyone who enjoys armchair travel, has had romantic feelings for Scotland and was raised on a healthy diet of fairy tales and Disney movies.
Hamsini
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Make no mistake, this book is a memoir of a love story. There are references to books everywhere of course but the bookshop seems a bit beside the point. It meanders quite a bit, but I guess that's sort of the overall theme as well. I read this book because I saw it being described as '84, Charing cross' on email. It isn't but has its moments.
Tess
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This started out as a four star read, but the further into it I got, the less I liked it. I feel guilty about putting a rating like this on someone's real life, but meh, I'll get over it. This book was a slog.
Debbie
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This story is very enjoyable. I liked the way it unraveled. It's nothing earth-shattering, or terrible deep, but that's why it's so entertaining a read.
Emily
Jun 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Perhaps it's wrong to leave negative reviews of a memoir, certainly there is a degree of bravery in sharing your life like this, but my god this was an exasperating read. I hope that what was on the pages was an unfaltering representation of the reality because this was a book about a whiny immature woman who opens with such stunts as leaving all her furniture on the street for people to take when she moves from Boston to L.A (I could tell from this she was a spoiled rich girl long before she ad ...more
Simon MacKintosh
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I have never read a romance story before so my words may be unduly harsh out of ignorance. But here goes.
This seems to be a story about a woman who overthinks everything. She is constantly trying to take control of her life and failing. Having read this book just after reading The Girl on the Train, I am left wondering if that's just the way some women think. I felt it distracted from the basic story and left too many unexplained issues.
But my big problem with this book was its portrayal of Scot
Karen.s
Nov 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Every dream of leaving it all and following your heart? Of jump starting a new life in a new land? Of finding your dream man? Jessica Fox did it. Fed up with her job and a sense of restlessness burning through her, she decides to volunteer for a few weeks in a small bookshop in the Borders area of Scotland, near the sea as she saw in a dream. When she gets there and discovers the owner of the shop with whom she has been corresponding is not a sweet old 80 year old gentleman but a tall, handsome ...more
Megan
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a wonderful memoir and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

It's hard for me to resist books that center around travel, bookish quirks, Bookstores, romance and humor which were all included in this book and so much more. I was rooting for Jessica to truly have her dreams come through and then some. Euan is endearing and romantic in his own way though his dithering nearly backfired.

I loved that Jessica mentioned having a muse who was an author and describing the ways she would get her creativit
Becki
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found this true story, about a girl from Boston who visits the tiny town of Wigtown, Scotland, to work in a used book store, when I was a girl from Boston, visiting Wigtown, Scotland, and working in a used book store.

I was visiting Wigtown, volunteering for a week to run The Open Book, and staying in the flat above it. This book was in the flat, because The Open Book and the flat belonged to Jessica Fox, the author.

I didn't have a parallel experience to the one in this book, but it was a gre
Emmie
Jul 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a memoir written by Jessica who turned her life around when she decided to take a breather from her work as a story writer for NASA and making films and begin a stint working at a bookshop half way across the world in Scotland. Having read 'A Diary of a Bookseller' written by the owner of 'The Bookshop' where Jessica worked at, this memoir gives a different yet personal perspective of not just Scotland through a foreigner's eyes but also her relationship with the book shop owner himself. ...more
Kirsty Keddie
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
For anyone who knows the Wigtown bookshop and Galloway or has read Shaun’s book this is certainly an interesting book to read to see his girlfriend’s (now an ex)side of the story. The book is rather badly written and cringe worthy in places but she was only in her 20s when she wrote it and the mix of egotism and lack of self-confidence that comes with that life phase shines through. Some parts of the book are startlingly honest and leave clear markers which she may or may not have been aware of ...more
T
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was more interested in Jessica's work projects and life experiences than the relationship. What an intriguing film producer's career. I was curious to see what happens if an American visits the UK for over 6 months within one year.
This book accompanies The Diary of a Bookseller, her boyfriend's book.
3.5
Lynsey Sweales
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of my all time favourite reads. I couldn’t put thus book down and ended up reading it all night!
Jill Pfuetze Schmidt
Interesting to read (most of) this while also reading The Diary of a Bookseller. For the writer of the latter is the subject of the former!
Canterpoint
Aug 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed this. Light fun reading about bookstores and Scotland, whats not to love.
Suzanna
A charming read, with far too many typographical errors for something not self published.
Hmy
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Well she's determined to let us know that she once worked for NASA, why else choose such an incongruous title?
I truly recommend this book! 1 5 Aug 20, 2014 02:17PM
  • The Bookshop That Floated Away
  • Sojourn: The Wildlands (Rayn Mirago Saga #1)
  • Kappa Theta Dead
  • Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey
  • Gawky: Tales of an Extra Long Awkward Phase
  • The Sketchbook Challenge: Techniques, Prompts, and Inspiration for Achieving Your Creative Goals
  • The New Crewel: Exquisite Designs in Contemporary Embroidery
  • Crochet Stitches Visual Encyclopedia: 300 Stitch Patterns, Edgings, and More
  • Paperboy: An Enchanting True Story of a Belfast Paperboy Coming to Terms with the Troubles
  • Adventures in the Rocky Mountains
  • For You Mom, Finally
  • Faith and Betrayal: A Pioneer Woman's Passage in the American West
  • A Field Guide to Fabric Design: Design, Print & Sell Your Own Fabric; Traditional & Digital Techniques; For Quilting, Home Dec & Apparel
  • The River Way Home: The Adventures of the Cowboy, the Indian, and the Amazon Queen
  • Mrs. Jack: A Biography of Isabella Stewart Gardner
  • J.K. Rowling: A Bibliography 1997-2013
  • Crochet Saved My Life: The Mental and Physical Health Benefits of Crochet
  • Baltimore's Mansion: A Memoir
“I felt like I was losing some imaginary battle over the forces of fate and love.” 0 likes