Start by marking “The Legend of Ellie Quin (Ellie Quin, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Ellie Quin (Ellie Quin, #1)

The Legend of Ellie Quin

(Ellie Quin #1)

THE LEGEND OF ELLIE QUIN: (Book1)

She was a very normal girl. Wanted what anyone in her situation would - to escape the dull life of a dusty colonial farm for the bright neon lights of the city.

What she didn't realise was that urge to escape was programmed into her. That she was some mad man's bio-weapon. That she was destined to change mankind forever...

...and that there w
Published December 23rd 2012 by Grrr Books

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Ellie Quin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Ellie Quin

Emily Ross
Original Read 2016

Short, snappy and intriquing. I can't quite believe that Ellie is twenty as she doesn't act twenty years old, more like a teenager, but thats only a minor criticism.
I can't wait to read book 2!!! :-)

Reread 2017

Having come to Ellie Quin from Time Riders, I was expecting something relatively similar. Well, it wasn't. Scarrow's writing remains brilliant and I find myself invested in Ellie's future. I wanted for her to get to New Haven and to succeed in New Haven.
I love the way th
Katja Weinert
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ellie Quin was unlike anything I'd expected. The writing is different from the Time Riders series, which is a thrilling time travel adventure series. Ellie's world is a little madcap; if you love sci-fi TV shows then I'd describe Ellie Quin as being less StarTrek and more Farscape.

The Pros: Love the crazy fashions, the weird plants and the whole background to the terra-forming of planets and the enhancement of the human population to fit in with different climates and planetary conditions. I'm r
Kate
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent beginning to a new YA SF series by one of my favourite authors. I just wish it were longer...

Nicky
Jan 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good and it kept my interest. I will read the next one when the kindle book is on offer, part one was a lot cheaper. Also I enjoy reading Alex Scarrow.
Lynn Williams
Dec 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review can be found here:
Or here:
I just recently finished reading The Legend of Ellie Quin by Alex Scarrow and I thoroughly enjoyed it. This is only a fairly short novel but it had a lovely simplicity to the story telling that just made me fall into the story and frankly I confess it was difficult to put down once started. Okay, this is clearly, admittedly, only the beginning and we find out only a little snippet but it was really entertaining nonethele
Abigail
Very disappointing. I was so confident I was going to love this book because I adore the TimeRiders series and I'm baffled by the fact Alex Scarrow could go from TimeRiders to this.

The Legend of Ellie Quin is about a farm girl running away from home and heading to the big city, New Haven. This takes place a thousand years into the future and on another planet. Ellie also turns out to be some mad man's bio-weapon, though not much explained about this.

Like I said, I was so confident I was going t
Lara
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction

Ellie Quin is a girl growing up on a remote farm on a remote planet. Her dream is to get to the city and, ultimately, to leave the planet and explore the universe.

To see through a viewing bay, your whole world and everything you have ever known and to watch it gradually disappear and become simply a glowing disc, eventually a mere pin-prick

I really loved the world (or, in this case, universe). It was well-built and I'd love to see more of this universe and its planets.

I also liked Ellie. She is
Tom Loock
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, sf, young-adult
I read it this Young-Adult-SF-adventure in one evening, enjoyed it and bought volume 2 straight away to continue reading, (big) BUT ...
... The Legend of Ellie Quin is not a novel, novella or even a short story, but simply the opening chapter of a novel, that promises (did I hear someone say 'threatens'?) to be pretty long and worth reading.

The part covered in this first instalment gives the reader the background for the main character, short hints at a possible opponent and the opening scene
Robin Carter
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Alex scarrow best known for his TimeRiders (Book 1) series, and also for his adult thrillers A Thousand Suns, The Candle Man, Last LightAfterlightOctober Skies. The one thing that Alex has been consistent with is his great characters.
Each person is brought to life very quickly, with a very honest human quality, never given an ability or set of circumstances that the every day person could not deal with.
Its this approach that makes all his books grab you from the first page to the last.
Ellie Quin
Luula
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ellie Quin was a shortish story introducing us into the world of Ellie and setting the scene for future books in the series.
Ellie is a young girl who thought she was ordinary. Turns out she was wrong.
She's spent all of her life on a farm, farming oxygen to be sold at prices which are dipping desperately. All her life she has dreamed of nothing more than escaping the farm, and travelling to New Haven, the major city of the planet she's on. After discussing plans with that standard boy she has a c
Carl V.
Jan 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Nineteen year-old Ellie Quin spends her days planting tubweeds on an oxygen farm anxious for the day that she can escape rural life and move to the domed city of New Haven. The normal longings of an adolescent girl prove to be anything but normal in this gene-enhanced future. The day arrives and Ellie puts her plans into motion, unaware that she and her small agricultural planet are on a collision course with forces that could unravel the entire course of humanity, with Ellie being the key to th ...more
Christine Blachford
I waited until after I'd finished the TimeRiders series before diving into a new series from Alex Scarrow, but they aren't really comparable. The first book in the Ellie Quinn series introduces the central character - a girl stuck on a boring planet, hoping for more from life - and the situation - that there is something special about her to the point that people are starting to hunt her down.

The writing style is very similar, bursts of action interspersed with young adult soul-searching, but fo
Matt Brown
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy reading young adult sci-fi, great for reading on the train.

My only complaint with this book was that it seemed to be over before it had begun when the story was only just kicking off, even for the first book in a series!

There isn't much novel or unique about the (futuristic) world the novel is set in, but the setup is done well and I'm looking forward to seeing where the story goes from here.

Reading time: 1 hour, 39 mins (for 232 'pages', seriously short, glad I got this via Kindle Lending
Louise
Aug 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm really disappointed by this book. It had the potential to be a fantastic story but ends before anything significant actually happens and forcing you to read the next book to find out. I would have enjoyed it more and would have been more likely to read the next one if we had been taken a little further into Ellie's story. I couldn't help feeling it was awful drawn out for the little progression the story made.
Bookiemonster
The book is a masterpiece, starts off slow, but pulls you in, and in one minute, you pore over the page with curiosity, and the other, with intrigue. Once, with heart stomping action and the other, with empathical understanding.

Ellie Quin as a character herself never fails to be herself. She never strays from her original self. Her determination always shines through, even though she thinks herself to be weak.

Alex Scarrow is a mastermind of the future, a must read!
Patryk
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Short, and simple to read. Not impressed by the style, with the interspersed Wikipedia-style articles and, particularly, the inane comments posted on them, but it's not too distracting. Feels poorly edited, with some purposefully creative spelling, but also some clear mistakes. As long as you don't expect a masterpiece, it's ok. Short enough that, if you don't like it, you don't have to read the rest of the series.
Francesca
Jan 15, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5/5

This short book is enjoyable and well written, a quick and lighthearted read.

There’s nothing wrong with the book, which is good, but neither Ellie, the main character, nor the plot itself captured my imagination that much.
As I said, it’s fine, but nothing more or exceptionally impressive.
Donna Wilkins
This is an excellent book. It seemed short as it did not take long to read but it was brilliant. The book follows Ellie who is a interesting person who wants more from life than farming. The characters are warm and real and the description of the planet's and world's just mesmerising. Looking forward to reading the next book so much.
Debs Taylor
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Original and creative page-turner. An interesting futuristic novel that has elements of thriller to it. I will definitely read the others in the series as I want to know what the mystery is. I really like the contemporary connection with the omnipedia entry and user comments.
Clare Jones
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fregging awesome!
Megan
Big fat DNF
Gemma Walton
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eager to find out what is so special about Ellie and what this series is about. I don't feel like I've found out much in this first book, so how come I'm so eager to read on?!
Heather
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Great book but too short.
Bette Dick
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this series - pure escapism!!
Mat Soole
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Drool in greatest sense! Love this author and love this series, looking forward to the next part of Ellie's journey!
Cherie
Jul 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars
Great world building but not much in the way of plot. I'm sure this was just a set-up, though, for the rest of the series. I'll continue reading.
Adiaze
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Rather a short book, but it sets up the story for the trilogy. I just wish that first book can be more ... complete. Looks like i have to read the trilogy to have a more better review.
Edward Drew
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great world-building. Read it in one day!
Ørjan Hoyd H. Vøllestad
Nov 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
exciting start..
Junaid Baldick
Aug 22, 2016
  • Bell, Book, and Murder
  • Flashback (Saskia Brandt, #2)
  • Lillian's Story: One Womans Journey through the 20th Century
  • Fenton's Winter
  • Kaylen's Rising (Tomes of Taria, Book #1)
  • Tempus (Thieves' World)
  • UnEarthed (UnEarthed, #1)
  • 11:59
  • I'm in Heaven
  • Ocean Child
  • The Echo (The Anomaly Quartet, #2)
  • Hull's Landing
  • Alone
  • The Geomancer's Compass
  • Devoured
  • Cinema Lumière
  • Saving Mars (Saving Mars, #1)
  • The Blemished Series: Complete Boxed Set
I live a nomadic existence with my wife Frances, and son Jacob. For now we're living in Norwich. I spent the first 10 years out of college in the music business chasing record deals and the next 12 years in the computer games business as a graphic artist and eventually a games designer. For those of you who like their computer games, here's some of the titles I've worked on:
Waterworld, Evolva, The

Ellie Quin (5 books)
  • The World According to Ellie Quin (Ellie Quin, #2)
  • Beneath the Neon Sky (Ellie Quin, #3)
  • Ellie Quin in Wonderland (Ellie Quin, #4)
  • Ellie Quin Girl Reborn (Ellie Quin, #5)