Start by marking “50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People” as Want to Read:
50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People

50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People

Today we are living longer than ever before, and a few of us can expect to live to 100 or more. But many people feel that they will inevitably suffer the diseases of old age in their final years. Pharmaceutical companies have spent billions of dollars trying to find a cure for the "diseases of aging"—they may have found ways to stem some of the symptoms, but they have yet ...more
Published December 21st 2005 by Da Capo Lifelong Books (first published December 20th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People

Start your review of 50 Secrets of the World's Longest Living People
Inggita
Aug 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who started to feel old
Shelves: living
it's not that we haven't been told to eat all our edamame, but having all these tips on living healthy takes on a different meaning when it's told through the story of these peoples and their lifestyles (live long, chase women, and die painlessly). one key thing: the focus is on living healthily not merely living longer (Greek tragedy: mortal Tithonius granted eternal life but not eternal youth... imagine being old and senile forever!)
deleted d
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I couldn't find a kindle version so I went ahead and read reviews of the book, trying as best I can to take notes and learn.

Very interesting, fascinating I might add, this book is worth its weight in gold if you actually implement it's advice.

Here's some notes I've taken:
- Diet: tons of veggies*, 80% full*, virgin olive oil, handful buts+seeds, glass red wine, lots of water, garlic, green tea*, fast once a week, organic, grass fed
- lifestlye: 2 close friends, relax, meditate, exercise/walk daily
Coen
This book began my quest for finding out the healthiest lifestyle imaginable. It led me to raw foods which I later came to realize was my passion in life. I found this book in the bargain section of the local Barnes and Noble and I bought it because I thought it would be an interesting read and that I could perhaps implement some of the tips the book suggested for long life. Why not, huh? But as I read I found a pattern which led me to research more and more and that eventually led me to Dr. Ann ...more
Robb Geweniger
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Good enough. Doesn't really offer any information not already available in other places, but discusses how people in a number of places tend to live much longer than the average inhabitant of this planet. Also offers a handful of recipes to help someone develop a 'food' lifestyle that might keep them around a little longer. Very readable. Sometimes very interesting.
Molly
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it
I think this book can really motivate you to eat better. That said, it is a bit repetitive and also too self-asured. I have to admit I haven't read all the footnotes, so maybe the studies are there, but I feel it really lacks a strong scientific foundation. Regardless, it is hard to argue with the basic principles & it has had me eating a lot better since I picked it up. ...more
Suzi
Jan 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009
This was a fantastic book! I've made a lot of changes physically -what I eat - and mentally - how I view food and especially the food that is in our Standard American Diet (SAD). It's a very interesting read and great resource. Plus, it has some recipes at the end I am eager to try.
Kirsti Call
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a fabulous book!!! I've read many health related books, but this one actually motivated me to start a new healthy regime in my family (once we have a kitchen again, that is). Not only is this book fascinating, but it also gives practical useful information on how to become a healthier, happier person.
Andrea
Mar 24, 2011 marked it as to-read
Kirsti says it's fabulous, therefore, I must read it!
Becca
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Very motivating.
Joe
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
comes down to eat veggies and excercise
Robin Ripley
Aug 02, 2009 rated it liked it
No real surprises in this book. But it was okay to pick up as a reminder of good habits.
Jessie
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Moral of the story: eat right, exercise, and reduce stress. The book highlights five locations and their stories are the same so the message was consistent but lackluster pages.
May Deng
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book because I was curious about the things that help people live longer. I have already read a book on Okinawa and how there are many centenarians in Okinawa. They consider 65 years to be really young. Many people are quite healthy in Okinawa, if they are not eating the Standard American Diet. They eat a lot of vegetables, get adequate exercise that does not involve going to a gym, and also, are not stressed. They are much more relaxed and calm kind of people. Okinawans w ...more
Mariia
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Super boring, most of the advice is pretty common: eat more vegetables, etc. The book contains fear mongering around GMO and inorganic foods, which is unscientific and upholds juice cleanses which are pointless.
Marie
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: baby-boomers
"Don't overeat. Don't drink much tea or coffee."

"Exercise regularly."

"Drink plenty of water."

"Explore aerobic exercise - anything that makes you out of breath."

Andre
Jan 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
Google the subject and save your money
Jasmine Smith
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a great reminder that the foods you eat are one of the main factors to quality of life! Interesting and informative read.
Beth Anne Anne
Apr 14, 2015 rated it liked it
There is some interesting information in this book, and the author does draw some correlations among the five longest lived people's. That's why I purchased the book. But it's not really 50 of their secrets. It's a handful of their secrets and a few dozen items the author throws in there that don't really correlate with the people. And some recommendations that seemed incorrect or at least debatable (e.g., Saturated fat is evil! Well maybe not...Etc). Decent book, just not what I expected.
Choral
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In general terms the book is good, it does provide easily digestible information. I did put it down after several times I came across some information that is simply a perpetuated myth or reference to a study that is heavily criticised. However ratio of bad info to good info is not too bad. It certainly could be a good starting point for many folks who want to find out about nutrition.
Ed Ball
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-and-dieting
Some good information about eating healthy foods. Lots of good recipes if you have an interest in Japanese food.
Kim
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Reminds you of healthy eating habits. A little repetitive at times but overall I thought it was in informative book with good ideas for food choices.
Cheryl
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Quite interesting and good tips on eating and doing things to make yourself feel better and live better. Some are common sense but some new tips and a reinforcer on what to do and what not to do.
Annmarie (Annie) Kostyk
Jun 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book noting all of the longevity secrets around the world. Lots of recipes to get your creative juices flowing. Super easy to read with scientific facts, but in layperson's terms.
Jacquie M
Nov 24, 2016
Joanne
Feb 28, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• My Ishmael (Ishmael, #3)
  • The Story of B (Ishmael, #2)
  • Tales of Adam
  • Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up
  • Growing and Using Stevia: The Sweet Leaf from Garden to Table with 35 Recipes
  • The Bad Seed (The Bad Seed, #1)
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
  • The Joy of Minimalism: A Beginner's Guide to Happiness with Less
  • Mitosis (The Reckoners, #1.5)
  • Soulful Simplicity: How Living with Less Can Lead to So Much More
  • The Grim Grotto (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #11)
  • The Vile Village (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #7)
  • The End (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #13)
  • The Slippery Slope (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #10)
  • The Carnivorous Carnival (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #9)
  • The Hostile Hospital (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #8)
  • The Penultimate Peril (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #12)
  • The Ersatz Elevator (A Series of Unfortunate Events, #6)