Start by marking “Murder in the Smokies (Bitterwood P.D. #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder in the Smokies (Bitterwood P.D. #1)

Murder in the Smokies (Bitterwood P.D. #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
A Cold Case Brought Him Home…

When Sutton Calhoun shook the dust of Bitterwood, Tennessee, off his boots, he never thought he'd return. But now he's back to investigate an unsolved murder and has teamed up with police detective Ivy Hawkins—the only part of the Smoky Mountain hamlet worth remembering.

A Steamy Reunion Would Keep Him There

Ivy is a hometown girl and well aware
Published May 21st 2013 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in the Smokies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in the Smokies

Renee Entress from Renee Entress's Blog
I recommend this book.
As always I enjoyed this book by Paula. Have yet to be disappointed by Paula as she adds plenty of drama, passion, and romance. She captures the small town feel and you really feel as if the characters in her books are real. Look forward to the next book in this series.

I can't wait for the next book in the Bitterwood P.D. series. The book is due out in July 2013 “The Smoky Mountain Mist” featuring Seth Hammond’s story.

Ivy Hawkins a Bitterwood P.D. detective is currently in
Susan
Good book. Sutton has been sent back to Bitterwood by his boss at Cooper Security to investigate an unsolved murder. He meets up with his old friend Ivy Hawkins, who is now a police detective working on a string of unsolved murders. She thinks the murders are connected though her boss does not agree. When Sutton agrees with her they team up to find out who and why.

Sutton couldn't wait to leave Bitterwood when he was younger. His father was a con man who tried to get him involved. Sutton wanted n
Jen_C
Very short time period covered. Would have liked to see our H and h actually spend a bit more time together away from the investigation. Especially since Sutton had not been in love with Ivy when they were teenagers. She liked him but he thought of them as just friends. Two kisses and 1 dance later He was in love. The ending is also a cliff hangerish and rushed. Hopefully I get more answers in the next book. Excited to read Seth and Rachel's story.
Clare O'Beara
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: america-crime
Bitterwood, Tennessee has seen four abductions and murders, and the warped mind behind these actions is still at large. Local police detective Ivy Hawkins meets returned security man Sutton Calhoun at the latest crime scene. Sutton's been asked to investigate last month's murder as a PI but the police don't have to give him any access. Not alone that, but Ivy recalls him from school as being too popular with the girls.

The local departments are not so well resourced as a big city but everyone kno
Amy "the book-bat"
I read this to fulfill the Romantic Suspense requirement for the 2013 Eclecic Reader Challenge.

This book is from the Harlequin Intrigue imprint and the first of the "Bitterwood P.D." series. It read more like a cozy mystery than the typical romance novel. Ivy is a detective with the Bitterwood, Tennessee police department and she is investigating a series of murders. She believes the murders are related, but her boss refuses to call in the TBI because he refuses to see the connections between th
Leslie
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoying this series and getting acquainted with the characters I've read about in The Gates! So happy to hear about their lives, how they got together with the ones that have gotten away! Enjoyed seeing Sutton forgive his dad, See Sutton save Ivy and getting to tell Ivy he'll be back and being introduced to Seth, his love for Cleve, and his reformed ways! Thought I would like gates series better but this one is different and think they run a close tie with the Cooper series!!
Marjorie
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Ivy Hawkins, now a police detective for the Bitterwood Police Department, has always loved Sutton Calhoun. Sutton Calhoun, now in a security job after leaving the army, comes to Bitterwood to investigate a murder for a client. He and Ivy had been best friends while growing up. Now that friendship brings on the heat while investigating a serial killer.

Fast paced and believable story of two people finding each other while investigating brutal murders.
Nancy Reynolds
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book - but felt it was a bit choppy at times. However, I thought the characters were definitely believable - and will have to pick up the next in the series as this one left us with some unanswered questions. I think it was a good start to a new series by this author - but working off some of her older books. Love the way they interconnect.
Mina Khan
May 29, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice little mystery read set in a small town -- with characters who are all interconnected and into each other's business. This is the first book of a trilogy and it intrigued me enough to read on down the line.
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book! I can't wait to read book two in the series!
Harlequin Books
"First-class dialogue, a twisted plot and characters who will snare readers' attention make Graves' latest a hit." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars
Miniseries: Bitterwood P.D.
Category: Suspense
Mary Pitre
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Love the new series. Can't wait for Books 2 & 3 to be published. Love the romance and the suspense of the mystery.
Liz Mckernan
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Finally finishing up the offshoot of books in a series I was reading, this was a great book.
Kathym
I love this authors writing and who doesn't want to curl up with a cup of tea and a quick read harlequin. Enjoy!
Theresa Hurley
Feb 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this series. It just pulls you in and makes you want to read the rest of the set!
David Vanness
Jul 11, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
"Larger Print" edition paperback.
Sonja Kruitwagen
Theresa Hurley
Feb 16, 2015
Maureen Hubley
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Glad I was able to find he 1st book in the series-having read #2 already I can't wait for #3.
Catherine
Oct 07, 2016
Connie
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I was raised in Alabama, so I know we Southerners don't hide our crazy people—we showcase them. Eccentric people make for the best stories, and we Southerners do love our stories. The need to tell stories has been a driving force in my life from childhood.

As a girl, my favorite books were mysteries and romances. When I realized there were books that featured both romance and mystery, I knew I'd fo
More about Paula Graves...

Bitterwood P.D. (6 books)
  • The Smoky Mountain Mist (Bitterwood P.D. #2)
  • Smoky Ridge Curse (Bitterwood P.D. #3)
  • Blood on Copperhead Trail (Bitterwood P.D. #4)
  • The Secret of Cherokee Cove
  • The Legend of Smuggler's Cave (Bitterwood P.D. #6)