Start by marking “The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)

The Whisper of Glocken

(The Minnipins #2)

A second Minnipins novel with a new group of unlikely heroes.
Hardcover, First Edition, 248 pages
Published 1965 by Harcourt, Brace & World, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Whisper of Glocken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Whisper of Glocken

Start your review of The Whisper of Glocken (The Minnipins, #2)
Maryam

یادتان باشد در تلخی خوبی هست و در خوبی تلخی_۴۳
تنها جایی که می‌توانم گم و گور شوم توی ذهنم‌ است_۹۸
ماهی بزرگ ماهی کوچک را وسط خمیازه قورت میدهد_۱۱۴
مردن زمزمه‌ی موسیقی است_۱۴۰
یک قهرمان دیده نمی‌شود چون قهرمانان در قلب و فکر زاده می‌شوند و یک قهرمان وقتی که باید دوید محکم سر جایش می‌ایستد، و وقتی که ترجیح می‌دهد ریشه بدواند، فرار می‌کند. یک قهرمان تسلیم نمی‌شود، حتی وقتی همه‌چیز از دست رفته باشد_۱۹۶

description
Maggie
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
Clever and sweet sequel to 'The Gammage Cup'. Very good book for children, in particular, but older persons will enjoy it too. ...more
Marilyn
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ultimate Reading Challenge 2017. A book you loved as a child.

This is the sequel to The Gammage Cup which was my #1 favorite book as a child. The 5 heroes from that book are in this one as well. However, they have decided there will be 5 new heroes to save the Minnipins this time. The river that runs through this valley has flooded the lower most village and as Minnipins rush to evacuate that village and move up river, they discover the flood has already reached the next village. Now residents of
Michael Fitzgerald
May 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Much the same as the first installment. An all-new cast goes on an adventure and succeeds in the face of incredible odds. Some more philosophizing, this time on how to help others. Not sure why anyone needs this book after the first. The original five characters appear, but we learn nothing new about them. Illustrations by Gobbato are not nearly as good as the Blegvad ones.
Ry Herman
Jun 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
While this is a bit too similar to The Gammage Cup in content, at least it retains much of the charm of the first book, and the important message that even weird, irritating, and annoying people can be heroes -- and in fact, most heroes are probably exactly that.
Qt
Dec 07, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sort of a companion to "Gammage Cup," this isn't really a sequel, but a new adventure set in the same land. I thought it had all the things that made the first one fun for me, and felt that it was just as well written. ...more
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun adventure with the Minnipins in the Land Between The Mountains with more at stake: http://readingandwritingandmoviesohmy... ...more
Janet
The second written of the three books in Kendall's Minnipin series. When the Watercress River floods, five new heroes must leave the valley to discover the cause.

There were some great adventures, and Kendall did a good job depicting the conflicts of three species with different lifestyles - the Diggers, the Minnipins, and the Hulks. The plot meandered around a bit too long, and the characters of the heroes were not as clearly defined as in the other books - I kept forgetting whose point of view
Just Chrissy
Oct 25, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't ever read this book even if you loved The Gammage Cup. This one has nothing of what the first book so great. The heroes of the first one are minor characters in this one and the new heroes are just a bunch of zeroes. ...more
Bryn (Plus Others)
Really enjoyable classic children's family, although not as good as the first one in terms of the female characters. It is only a loose sequel; the characters from the previous book make an appearance but the focus is on the adventures of five New Heroes. ...more
Yasser Kazemi
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p_a
Nostalgic
Isa Mehregan
Oct 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
به جرئت یکی از بهترین کتاب های ماجراجویی و هیجانی است.
زبان شیوای کرول کندال بسیار ستودنی است.
Child960801
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
I read this out loud to Emmet and we both really liked it. A favourite from my childhood. Five new heroes set out to find out why the Watercress river is flooding.
Helen Roberts
Aug 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love this book, have had this book since I don't remember when, I can read it over and over again ...more
Mark
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another of the most memorable books from my childhood.
Deborah O'Carroll
For anyone who knows about The Gammage Cup… this is its sequel. It’s about a new set of Minipin heroes who have to set out to save The Land Between the Mountains. I didn’t love it as much as The Gammage Cup, but of course, there are few books I do… At any rate, it’s quite different but also just really awesome and I just LOVE this book. The characters are so fun and the adventures are original and you won’t see them coming. And the whole Glocken Whisper thing… I just… I love. <3

Hear the whisper
Bridget Lane
The Whisper of Glocken is the sequel to Carol Kendall's beloved (to me) book, The Gammage Cup. In this novel, a new cast of characters journeys to save Slipper-on-the-Water from a massive flood.

While this sequel is still full of the quirky Minnipin atmosphere most of us love, I found it to be largely a disappointment. The characters are not as lovable and I found the plot much more dull and predictable. Worth a read but not as much fun as the first book.
Roxana
Dec 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I adored The Gammage Cup as a child, read it until the cover fell off, then was incredibly excited, several years after first reading The Gammage Cup, to find there was a sequel! ...unfortunately, The Whisper of Glocken was unbearably bad, I cried out my disappointment, and had to go re-read the first another dozen times to get the taste of #2 out of my head.
meelad
Jul 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great intimate book, really funny at times. I used to watch a miniseries based on the book when I was a kid, consisting of still pictures and narration of parts of the book, really opened up the world of the fantasy to me... though I liked The Gammage Cup a little better
Tracy
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This second book about the small folk of the Valley Between the Mountains is even better than the first. A new set of heroes are formed by circumstances and a somewhat reluctant willingness to do what they can to save their home.
Shilo Quetchenbach
A fabulous sequel - manages to have all new characters and all new problems and yet be just as engaging as the first!
Barb in Maryland
Not up to The Gammage Cup, but still a very good sequel.
Brynna
This is, like many sequels, not quite as good as the first one. The Gammage Cup is better, I think, but I also enjoyed the new characters in this one and the glimpses of the old ones.
Janemariehunt
It was a little slow to get into, but I enjoyed once I did.
nobody

• The Prestige
  • The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue
  • The Last Story of Mina Lee
  • America's Snake: The Rise and Fall of the Timber Rattlesnake
  • Nabokov's Favorite Word Is Mauve: What the Numbers Reveal About the Classics, Bestsellers, and Our Own Writing
  • Preacher, Can You Hear Us Listening?
  • Back to Paul Revere! (Travelers Through Time, #2)
  • The Forgotten Door
  • Marune: Alastor 933
  • Lassie Come-Home
  • Kavik the Wolf Dog
  • Trullion: Alastor 2262
Carol Seeger "Siggy" Kendall was an American writer of children's books. She has received the Newbery Honor, Ohioana award, Parents choice award, and the Mythopoeic Society Aslan award. ...more

The Minnipins (2 books)
  • The Gammage Cup (The Minnipins, #1)