Start by marking “Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors” as Want to Read:
Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors

Start Here: Read Your Way Into 25 Amazing Authors

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  286 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
There are so many fantastic authors and great books out there that sometimes it’s hard to know where to begin. Start Here solves that problem; it tells you how to read your way into 25 amazing authors from a wide range of genres--from classics to contemporary fiction to comics.

Each chapter presents an author, explains why you might want to try them, and lays out a 3- or 4-
Published December 20th 2012 by Book Riot, Inc (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Start Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Start Here

Kat
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kat's Review

I started this guide thinking that it contained short passages or partial chapters from each author's most famous piece of work, designed to give the reader a taste of what the author brings to the table. Instead, the book reads more like a series of book recommendations one would receive from a good friend who is passionate about a particular author. The recommendations are personal, and written in a tone that makes one feel as though they are learning something not only about the a
Tom Gromak
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My tendency is to read the same types of books, again and again. It's not that I'm unaware of the existence of other genres. I know that there are a host of wonderful authors just waiting to be discovered, and a zillion "best book" lists out there. I want to be in the know, and to broaden my literary horizons. It's just that I don't want to slog through mountains of information to find the good stuff - I need guidance.

This book fulfilled my need perfectly. It sticks to twenty-five stellar author
Nayantara
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The Must Have Reading Guide

As a Book Riot fan, when they posted about this book, I IMMEDIATELY went on to amazon and bought it. The site is always full of great stuff for book lovers so I knew it would be absolutely stupid of me not to buy the book!

This is a very useful book to those who don't read that much and for people who are avid readers! As the title indicates, it's a starting point to reading book from different genres. I love the authors they've picked because while these authors are we
Melissa
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good road-map for readers looking to get into authors' work. The chapters are all short, the reading lists as well (usually no more than 3 or 4 books leading from an accessible work to one that is considered a "magnum opus"). Tone varies between writer but most have a wonderfully earnest tone - they are each writing about beloved authors and the enthusaism shows.

I asked Rebecca why Toni Morrison wasn't included (since I was expecting a chapter from her on one of her favorite authors) - apparen
James
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was fun. It was like reading a lot of quick-hitter reviews, with solid arguments defending the order of the choices. As with any reviews, I wouldn't fall lock-step with virtually anyone in terms of where to start, but I did find the suggestions interesting. When this idea first came up on Book Riot, I started the Charles Dickens chain, and it was a good idea.

Most of the authors that I've already read, I have begun with the magnum opus, because I love giant books. But when I recommend books
Ginger
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-on-books
I originally only gave this "book" 3 stars, but I'm amending that. It's certainly not the most riveting read of all time (even for a junkie of books-on-books, as I am), but I find myself referring to both "Start Here" volumns ALL THE TIME.

Whenever I've enjoyed an author, I check Book Riot to see what else they recommend from the author.

Useful, quick read. I hope they continue to publish more of these guides.
Vicki Gibson
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent introduction to a variety of notable authors. This little book not only suggests the authors, but more importantly, the order in which you should read their work. For instance, if you want to try my favorite author, Gabriel García Márquez, don't start with One Hundred Years of Solitude! Start with his novella Memories of My Melancholy Whores, progress to Love in the Time of Cholera which is "a typical love story told in an atypical way", and then tackle One Hundred Years of Solitude ...more
Justice
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’d Recommend to: Basically everyone in my fictional and non-fictional universes

My Review:
Well done, Book Riot. I’ve seen a handful of organizations put out products, and this is the first one I’ve purchased that is just a brilliant representation of the community. This isn’t a rehash of content already on the site with a few “new” bits thrown in (though Book Riot did have some cool “author pathways” posts leading up to this). You’ve got authors writing about authors, and you can feel the love.
Melissa
Jan 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
The lovely people at Book Riot put this gem together to help readers navigate their way through the work of 25 authors.

There are a few authors on the list that I have already read all of the mentioned books. That list includes; Jane Austen, Ray Bradbury, Charles Dickens, E.M. Forster, and Edgar Allan Poe. I think that with each of these authors the suggested books are a great snapshot of their work.

There are other authors that I have read almost all of the work mentioned, like Ernest Hemingway
Margaret
Jan 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Book Riot's Start Here series is fun to read both because of the promise of book recommendations (because having more books to read is always a positive thing) as well as figuring out whether or not some of the Rioter's recommendations match with yours for a particular author (because if they cover your favorite author the reviewer better agree with you as to what books are the best!).

The reading pathways vary greatly between which blogger is writing the chapter, from straight up reading sequen
  • Stop What You're Doing and Read This!
  • Book Lust to Go: Recommended Reading for Travelers, Vagabonds, and Dreamers
  • Read This Next: 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read
  • The Book Lovers' Companion: What to Read Next
  • Is Heathcliff a Murderer?: Great Puzzles in Nineteenth-Century Fiction
  • The New Lifetime Reading Plan: The Classic Guide to World Literature, Revised and Expanded
  • 501 Great Writers: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of Literature
  • Madame Bovary's Ovaries: A Darwinian Look at Literature
  • My Ideal Bookshelf
  • 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
  • Read This!: Handpicked Favorites from America's Indie Bookstores
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • Buried in Books: A Reader's Anthology
  • The Horologicon: A Day's Jaunt Through the Lost Words of the English Language
  • Off the Beaten Page: The Best Trips for Lit Lovers, Book Clubs, and Girls on Getaways
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • Hothouse: The Art of Survival and the Survival of Art at America's Most Celebrated Publishing House, Farrar, Straus, and Giroux
  • Are Women People? a Book of Rhymes for Suffrage Times