Start by marking “Dragon Blade (War of the Blades, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Blade (War of the Blades, #2)

Read Book

Dragon Blade

(War of the Blades #2)

Swords forged by dragon magic. Ancient rivalries flaring into all-out war. Dragon Riders caught up in a clash of hidden powers. A world hangs in the balance.

Dragon Blade, the second book in J.D. Hallowell’s War of the Blades, is the epic conclusion to the story begun in Dragon Fate.

Delno Okonan, his draconic bond-mate, Geneva, and their allies among the Dragons and Riders
Published December 22nd 2012 by Smithcraft Press

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Blade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon Blade

A.L. Butcher
An excellent follow-up to Dragon Fate this continues the adventures of Delno and his friends as they seek to thwart machinations which will lead to war and tyranny.

I liked the battle scenes and the final boss fight and there was interesting twists with the un-bonded dragons. The wars and battles were dealt with in a believable and not overly gratuituous way. The ending and politics were dealt with well.

I am not sure if it was the author's intention but I found a distinct environmental message
Joan Johnson
Jan 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Happy Ending to a Good Book

Although I would like to see another book set in this world created by Hallowell, it would be only my self indulgence, not necessary to the story. I recommend these two books to anyone interested in a fantasy adventure that is a smooth reading enjoyable experience. I do hope the author continues to write as I am anxious to repeat such a great ride.
Lynda Bester
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Scott
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-reviews
Dragon Blade by J.D. Hallowell is the conclusion to the War of the Blades series. The world created by Hallowell continues to be enriched in the second novel, with a lot more information being revealed about the wild dragons.

There are some mild surprises that occur in this book with some of the established characters from Dragon Fate. Nothing that really had me shocked, but some little twists that I enjoyed. There are also a lot more characters involved in this book so the focus pulls back a bi
Ch'kara SilverWolf
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Once again, J.D. Hallowell has written a wonderful book. I love the journey as the quest begins to further unfold. It brings action, adventure and romance, all the things that make great reading.

This is the continued journey of Delno and Geneva as they bring together more riders and unbonded dragons in order to fight against the evil Warrick.

If you like great dragon stories along the lines of Anne McCaffrey, then J.D. Hallowell is right up there.

I am impatiently awaiting book three.

Chris Bullock
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was the second book in the series, and I found it more settled and mature than the first. A very interesting and entertaining story about dragons and their riders. Well thought out and full of intrigue and plenty of action.
A very moral story aimed primarily at Young Adults, but entertaining for any age.
This is well worth a read.
Jamie
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Delno and his dragon have a wonderful dynamic and I love how the story progresses and you learn more about how he relates to other dragon riders and humans out there. The descriptions of the characters and the scenery are great! I really loved both of the books in this series and recommend them to anyone that likes fantasy novels featuring dragons. You won't be disappointed!
Karen
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am so glad I read this second book in the series, right after the first. I love the dragon lore that is presented in this series.
Kelly
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have been having a really difficult time deciding how to rate this book. I think, if this were not a sequel, I would have rated it a three. However, because it is a sequel, I am going to go into it with the attitude that anyone who is looking to read this sequel has already read the first and so they are familiar with the author's writing style. There were a lot of things I loved about Dragon Blade, and several things that I didn't like as much.

To start with, let's cover what I loved. We see s
Tomas K.
Jan 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
As with the previous one, 4,5*.
There's not so much I can say without spoilers that the book's description does, but as with the first one, it was nice and quick read that I really enjoyed. Delno once again proved that his experience with war, combined with the insight gained from the dragons, is quite strong combination, more so when he gets a mage to help him as well.
Even though he's forced to slight detour as his homeland is under attack and requires Nat's healing skills, it eventually finds h
Beth Anz
Oct 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The second book expands the narrative of Delno and his dragon as they lead the riders against a growing threat in the community. We get to learn more about the dragon riders and their place in a fantasy medieval society. I loved the scholarly aspects of this and the previous book, sharing with us the intricacies of magic and politics. The story feels like a real war chronicle from a solider in the field. I would like to read more stories from this universe.
Justin
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book, not as good as the first book in my opinion. The story was much better in this book but was kind of plain to end. Characters were not as enjoyable as the first book but still better than most books I have read. Was a good ending for the series nothing spectacular as I would have hoped after the first book but still very much worth reading. You cant go wrong in reading this series, its a easy reader and fun. Hope the world is expanded on in some point in the future.
Thomas Maher
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even more sad then book 1

It very sad for what happens to the dragons and still wish there was more connection and love between female dragon and there bond mate. Also wish the times they been together weren't like only few seconds. It seems this book only evolved around war and using everything for war which is just sad.
Johan
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dragons
Hell Yeah!! What an awesome book and a sequel for this duology. Could not believe the way the characters handled themselves and enjoyed learning so much more and how Corolan had a hand in everything that happened in that world

Hopefully we learn more about the expansion of the human, elves and dragons into the new lands in a standalone book or series

Peace out
The Literary Connoisseur
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dragon Blade, the sequel to Dragon Fate by J.D. Hallowell, was just as amazing as I expected. I'm going to miss Delno and Geneva so much... I'll just have to read them all over again!

John Piper
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Absolutely amazing book!! I love the world JD has created and look forward to more!!
Liam
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Excellent & fun book/series, but the characters (especially Geneva) weren't as loveable as the first book!
Cr Rider
Solid story

Good tale of dragons, soldiers, political change and family. Delno Okonan, dragon leader unites bonded and unbonded dragons, elves and soldiers against the evil dragon Rider, Warrick, beastmen and others to prevent the creation of a despotic society. Delhi's girlfriend, Rita, for some reason was quite irritating and made it difficult for me to accept her character. World-building was superficial and there were editing errors, but overall the story was a good one.
Charles Edwards
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great !

Very well written. I enjoyed reading this book it was just as good as the first and worth the time to read it.
Shadallark
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was a good continuation from the first book in the series. There were some great new developments and plenty of good characters added. The main thing that stopped me from giving this four stars was the treatment of the female characters. There are basically three female characters in the story (first book and this one) and they are all introduced as being extremely strong willed, capable, competent characters; then they basically disappear from the story except to be mentioned as someone's ...more
Chris Robison
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
The whole series had an interesting premise, but it got painfully slow in parts. Everything was way over explained. Conversation topics in the book went on forever. I got to the point where I was skipping whole sections just to move things along.
Nancy
Jul 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed it. Has certainly diverged from the McCaffrey-esque original, the characters are well developed, the story is good.
John
Kalim Dalwai
Jul 02, 2014
Cody Elyko
Sep 12, 2015
  • The Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles (The Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles, #1)
  • Tempus (Thieves' World)
  • Red Gone Bad
  • The Five Elements (The Alchemancer #1)
  • Cave of the Kobolds
  • Thread Slivers
  • Spectacular Tales
  • The Reader of Acheron
  • The Valley of Decision
  • Sight And Sound (The Longsword Chronicles, #3)
  • High Moor
  • Oblivion's Forge
  • Devil on a Sparrow's Wing (Viridis, #2)
  • The IX  (The IX #1)
  • Kings in Hell (Heroes in Hell, #4)
  • Dead Religion
I'm a 60-ish father and husband who is fortunate enough to have lived an interesting and active life. I've had two fantasy series, the War of the Blades and The Legion of Riders, published, and I have several other fantasy and SF projects in the works. I like to keep many irons in the fire at once, so my work experiences include such diverse occupations as automotive mechanic, cowboy, photographer ...more

War of the Blades (3 books)
  • Dragon Fate (War of the Blades, #1)
  • Dragon Justice