Start by marking “Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes, #2)

Ex-Patriots (Ex-Heroes #2)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  7,141 Ratings  ·  461 Reviews
The second novel in Peter Clines' bestselling Ex series.

It's been two years since the plague of ex-humans decimated mankind. Two years since the superheroes St. George, Cerberus, Zzzap, and Stealth gathered Los Angeles's survivors behind the walls of their fortress, the Mount.

Since then, the heroes have been fighting to give the Mount's citizens hope, and something like a
Published September 4th 2011 by Crown Publishing Group (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Ex-Patriots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ex-Patriots

Paul O'Neill
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A comic book-esque slobberknocker!

The story picks up two years on from the events of the previous book, as the US army arrives at the superheroes base, the Mount. The story centres on the mysterious Project Krypton, which I can’t really talk about in any way for fear of spoiling the story.

The previous book, Ex-Heroes was a little too zombie-riffic in my view. This book still features zombies, but does so in a much better and original way.

To me, this is the closest you can get to a great novel
Andre
Apr 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whenever you have an issue with a tiny aspect of something you read or watch, there often comes a fear that the follow-up book/movie/whatever will spend more time on that aspect and, therefore, infuriate you. This was the case with my reading Ex-Patriots. In my review of the first book, Ex-Heroes, I noted that the racial dynamics of the characters were bothersome. There was so much time spent introducing readers to the heroes that this wasn’t a really big issue. This time around, however, I coul ...more
Eric
(Does anyone remember Happy Feet?) Ramone: Let me tell something to you.

Because of the length of the audiobook and the fact that I need sleep somewhere during the night to do the annoying things in my day like work I had time to put down some of my thoughts. At the time I was seriously considering dropping down to at least 4 stars due to my feelings on having such a predictable plot. Cliche some would call it. There were even moments when lines from the book that had quoted movies were about how
Ash Wednesday
Oct 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Awesome Things and Zombies
4 STARS

On the heels of reading Red Rising... So. Much. Testosterone. In one week. Has anyone seen my ovaries? I think I misplaced them somewhere and spontaneously grew balls and maybe a beard while reading these two books.
“An ex latched onto his wrist and tried to bury its teeth in his bicep. He flexed and cracked its jaw, then swung his elbow up to send it sprawling. Another one fell onto his back and he shrugged it off.”

How to Hero. Step One: Flex.

Also, did you see the quote on this boo
Neil
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just like the first book this was excellent. zombies superheroes supervillains what's not to like.
Robin (Bridge Four)
Ex-heroes was survivors against each other and zombies. Ex-Patriots is superheroes with super soldiers and the left over government. Now, I don’t know about you but the one thing that I have learned, from every zombie movie ever, is in a zombacalypse never trust the United States Government. But, let’s see how that works out for our superhereos.

“The real supervillians wear business suits and paisley ties with full Windsor knots.”

This has a great blend again of a story told in the past and the
✰☽✰RaeleighReads✰☾✰
For this and other reviews, visit RaeleighReads.

The saga, and misogyny, continue. Le sigh.

In Ex-Patriots, we pick up our hero vs. zombie story two years from when we ended Ex-Heroes. The heroes are holding down The Mount in L.A., but they soon discover they are not the only survivors in The States when they encounter a drone while on a supply run. And you know what drones mean…military.

I’m disappointed in how disappointing this series is turning out to be. The action scenes are a little boring a
Jakedecock
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
I read this to my husband, it was a fun read. An eerie thought, how the sound of hundreds or more clacking teeth would be a nightmare for the ears. It would be awful I imagine, since they have constant numerous zombies at the gates doing this nonstop.

The superheroes are very cool, they are unique in their abilities. We liked Zzzap the most, he has an awesome power and the funniest lines. What's not to love about an ultra super hero with a witty sense of humor?

Ex-Heroes is the 1st, and Ex-Commun
Andrea McDowell
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up at p. 160.

Clines is trying so, so hard to make characters that are Diverse and Representative, but in so doing is only highlighting his own internal biases all the more.

So we have Stealth, Female Character #1, incredibly beautiful, sick of being objectified--so she spends all of her time in a mask not using her real name because she's sick of men just falling in love with her all over the place. Yeah. OK. Do you know an incredibly beautiful woman in real life who is sick of being obj
David
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Zombies, superheroes, super-soldiers
This is definitely popcorn entertainment. Superheroes + zombies: it's a novelized comic book, and it reads like one. I thought the first book (Ex-Heroes) was pretty cheesy and mediocre if enjoyable. The second book is also cheesy, maybe just a notch above mediocre. Clines's writing has improved in this sequel, and it particularly shows in the plotting. Instead of a dumb boss fight with a predictable conclusion at the end, there are several fairly clever (if very much conforming to standard super ...more
Heather Faville
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ex-Patriots by Peter Clines was calling my name after having just finished reading Ex-Heroes and, boy howdy, did it deliver. Packed with every bit as much action as it's predecessor, Ex-Patriots introduces us to the Unbreakables, a group of super soldiers led by Freedom a true American patriot, Dr Sorensen, the doctor who figured out how to create the super soldiers and Mr. Smith, the man who is behind the notion of having super soldiers. There are other new characters, including a new Hero and, ...more
Thomas Taylor
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
ExPatriots is a sequel to the book ExHeroes, which I loved, and previously reviewed accordingly. The book is about some very realistically written super heroes (and the few thousand normal people they protect) trying to manage after the zombie apocalypse in Hollywood. They come into contact with some US military agents, and fun ensues.

The first book focused more on the survivors in LA, and surviving in general. This 2nd book is more about an adventure at a military base in Arizona where strange
Patti
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Won in a Goodreads Giveaway.

Wow. Just. Wow.

You know how in a lot of movie franchises, the sequel is better than the original? That's the case here. This was better than Ex-Heroes. And makes me jones for Ex-Communication.

The superheros are still super, still trying to save what they can. Then they meet up with a military group led by John Smith. Things go wild real quick.

What I loved was that the sentient zombies were explained in a manner than makes sense. It wasn't a demon, like the last zombie
T.L. Barrett
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The perfect superhero book. My son and I are addicted to this series. This sequel is even better than the original. The Valiant St. George, Cerebus, Zzap, and Stealth are all back. With great characterization and suspensful plotting, Clines tells the story of the Los Angeles Superheroes as they make contact with a military base outside of Yuma. The zombie-apocalyptic action is all still here along with fiendishly clever villains and supersoldiers to boot. This series needs so badly to get screen ...more
Jacques
Jul 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The story was clever and I always love a good twist or two near the end. Peter Clines does a great job of merging the superhero and zombie genres, and the characters are colorful, flawed and well-developed. This book satisfied my inner-geek and I can't wait to start the next installment.
Jasper
Sep 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2013/09/ex-patriots.html

Ex-Patriots is the second book in the Ex-Heroes series written by Peter Clines. The first book in the series, Ex-Heroes, introduced us to quite some cool stuff. The first being superheroes, the second being zombies and not to forget chock-full of action! In Ex-Heroes, Peter Clines had created a interesting view upon both genres and his envisioned superheroes weren't cliche at all, he gave each one of them a bit of twi
C.T. Phipps
Apr 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superheroes, zombies
Despite my desire to get this in audio-book, I got caught up in so much that I had to wait until I could get it in Kindle form. I only finished it about a half-hour ago and I am now ready to give my thoughts on the work. I'll try and avoid spoiling anything more than you would normally get from the back cover and instead talk about what I enjoyed and felt could be improved.

For those who like their reviews short and sweet, here's the short version: Ex-Patriots is a worthy sequel to Ex-Heroes an
Mihir
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Review originally over at Fantasy Book Critic

ANALYSIS: After reading Peter Clines excellent debut Ex-Heroes, I was very excited to see where he would take the characters and the world he had written about, in the next book. As is the case with most successful debuts, the sequels come up high anticipation and therein lies the quandary for the author as to come with a story which will resonate with the readers and give them something from the previous book and also at the same time head the char
Patrick D'Orazio
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Those who have read Ex-Heroes know the scoop from the first book. Peter Clines has created a world with his own flavor of superheroes, led by The Dragon (St. George), Zzzap, Stealth, and Cerberus, who reside in "The Mount", a barricaded movie studio in L.A. They live there protecting the bulk of survivors in the city from Ex's, aka zombies that have taken over the world. I felt that the author created a wonderful and highly detailed group of heroes and villains, using the writing technique of go ...more
Tenoko1
I really love this series, so far. This is book two in the "Ex-heroes" series. I know I read one review about it that gave the book a low star rating and the entire review ranted about the racism in the book, and how it was worse than the first book. There isn't any. Some people just like to find reasons to complain or get offended for no reason.

I really enjoyed this book. It opens up to a celebration that had you proud of both the heroes and the people of The Mount, that they have survived and
Jason Edwards
Full disclosure: I forgot I had read Ex-Heroes, the first novel in the Ex- series, until I was informed that someone had “liked” my review of it. So I went back and re-read what I had written, and thought to myself “I should read the next book if I liked it so much.” I was waiting for the library to send my several reserves anyway, so why not: did the on-line thing, and started in.

Not much in the way of praise, I know, but that’s what you get with books that are sequels and genre fiction to boot
Richard Guion
Sep 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to review this as an audiobook, I listened to it and never cracked open the Kindle. The audiobook production is 5 stars, and it has 5 narrators taking on various male / female characters. Some notable ones: a British scientist, a super-powered soldier named Freedom (the accent / delivery alone of this character is worthy of an award), a Latino named Hector with a very unique super power (which helped him steal cars). Very enjoyable and time will fly by while driving or doing chores listen ...more
Veronica
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I loved this book. Loved every single moment of reading it. It picks up roughly eight or nine months after the ending of the first book, Ex-Heroes, and just like that book the story is laid out in chapters labeled "THEN" and "NOW". We meet some new characters and the action and tension just keep building. I hated having to put the book down to go to work or to sleep because I just HAD to know what happened next. The plot twists caught me completely by surprise...again. I have no idea if an ...more
Bad Cookie
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who love superheroes and zombies
I really enjoyed reading this and I look forward to reading other books in the series. I wish my local library carried books by Peter Clines, especially from the Ex-Heroes series. I really want to read Ex-Communication. Luckily, there's a little thing called interlibrary loan and my sister has requested it for me. I would have requested it myself, but the thing about interlibrary loans is you tend to not be able to renew and more importantly your request might be denied. I was trying to avoid po ...more
Michael Stockinger
I must point out that I only began enjoying comic-book like stories as an adult. With that being said, I loved this book. Like the first, it brought out in me that inner comic-book kid that should have been. I spent many sleepy nights reading this book on the edge of my seat. In the morning I excitedly talked about it to my humored girlfriend. "Yes baby, you're dating a 12-year-old boy in a 29-year-old's body."
Mhikka
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Like its predecessor, ExPatriots was also amazing. This one had more action though. More than fifty percent of the book was action packed. The whole book actually was action packed. It was fast paced and gripping- there aren't any wasted pages in this book.

Could have had more Stealth/St.George arc into it. Haha. But that's just me.
Shannon Luchies
Another sorta... OK book. Super heroes meet super soldiers, with various acts of villainy in the background. Not a bad story, but not much character development and such.

Minor pet peeve: there really is NOT much effort at all going in to make the 'heroes' powers and such make sense. Not a deal breaker, but annoying.
Annie
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-read-faves
I hope #3 comes out soon, this is a completely entertaining series...different and original...I loved the narration and I highly recommend! and the bonus story was really good too!

Damn Military was all shady in this one...ugh I totally forgot about that...My heroes won though!! love this series!!!!
R. Andrew Lamonica
Not bad. I kind of liked the first book better, despite the fact that this one got better ratings on Goodreads. I think the novelty of mixing the superhero and zombie-apocalypse genres might have worn off so I was forced to judge this book on its story and characters. But, I'll probably keep reading these. They are both geeky and escapist without being to relentlessly-happy.
  • Confessions of a D-List Supervillain (D-List Supervillain, #1)
  • Survivors (Morningstar Strain #3)
  • The Undead Situation (Undead, #1)
  • Villains Inc. (Wearing the Cape #2)
  • Tooth and Nail
  • Hissers
  • Crusade (Eden #2)
  • Origin to Exile (Day by Day Armageddon, #1-2 Omnibus)
  • The End Has Come and Gone (Zombie Fallout, #4)
  • Warbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #3)
  • This Dark Earth
  • The Horizon (Arisen, #6)
  • San Diego 2014: The Last Stand of the California Browncoats (Newsflesh Trilogy, #0.75)
  • Shambling With the Stars (Living With the Dead, #2.5)
  • Devil's Cape
  • Last Rites (Dying to Live, #3)
Peter Clines is the author of the genre-blending -14- and the Ex-Heroes series.

He grew up in the Stephen King fallout zone of Maine and--inspired by comic books, Star Wars, and Saturday morning cartoons--started writing at the age of eight with his first epic novel, Lizard Men From The Center of The Earth(unreleased).

He made his first writing sale at age seventeen to a local newspaper, and a
More about Peter Clines...

Ex-Heroes (5 books)
  • Ex-Heroes (Ex-Heroes, #1)
  • Ex-Communication (Ex-Heroes, #3)
  • Ex-Purgatory (Ex-Heroes, #4)
  • Ex-Isle (Ex-Heroes, #5)

“Must you always speak with so many pop culture references?"
"I must, yes, but no one's making pop culture anymore, so I'm starting to feel dated. I haven't seen a new movie in two years. And you know what else I just realized?"
The doctor stared at him.
"I'm never going to find out what the hell was going on with Lost. I mean, was it just sheer coincidence their plane crashed on the island or was it this Jacob guy pulling the strings all along? And how did most of them end up back in the 1970s with the Dharma people?”
4 likes
“I’m never going to find out what the hell was going on with Lost. I mean, was it just sheer coincidence their plane crashed on the island or was it this Jacob guy pulling the strings all along? And how did most of them end up back in the 1970s with the Dharma people?” 3 likes