Start by marking “Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity” as Want to Read:
Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity

Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  17 reviews
When BIC, manufacturer of disposable ballpoint pens, wanted to grow, it looked for an idea beyond introducing new sizes and ink colors. Someone suggested lighters.

With an idea that seemed crazy at first, that bright executive, instead of seeing BIC as a pen company—a business in the PEN “box”—figured out that there was growth to be found in the DISPOSABLE “box.
Published September 10th 2013 by Random House (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking in New Boxes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking in New Boxes

I received this book via the Goodreads First Reads program.

I liked how this book showed that you should embrace the right ideas. It also shows that it's a wonderful idea to explore your surroundings - see what's out there that could inspire you.

All in all, a great book!
Wayne McCoy
'Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity' by Luc de Brabandere and Alan Iny is one of the better, more focused books I've read on business creativity. Instead of talking in broad, vague concepts, it gets to practical matters right away.

The usual thinking for creativity is to think outside the box, but doing that is harder than it sounds. It's better to recognize the boxes that we find ourselves in. The constraints we assume or place on our businesses, and then find new boxe
For years we have been told, “Think outside the box”. According to Luc De Brabandere and Alan Iny, strategic consultants at The Boston Consulting Group, there is one fundamental flaw in thinking in this manner: It is difficult! So, in their new book Thinking In New Boxes, the duo teach you five essential steps to spark the next big idea.

“You can’t even think without boxes, so don’t even try.”

You need to use a range of existing mental models to simplify things. Your mind relies on pre-existing
Your company makes buggy whips. It has always made buggy whips. Sales have been flat for the past several quarters. As CEO, what, if anything, are you going to do about it?

First of all, doubt everything about your company (but not to the point of paralysis). Put everything about your company, and your view of the market, under the microscope. Don't assume that anything about your company will stay the same in the future. Next, you need to look around and consider your options. It's normal to kee
Alex Devero
It’s exceedingly difficult to see beyond our own limited perspective. But we’ll have to if we want to think creatively. To stimulate creative thinking, we must constantly challenge our worldview – the “boxes” that encapsulate what we believe to be possible – and apply methods that keep our subconscious from sabotaging us.
Very insightful book that forces a reader (or a listener ;-) ) to start thinking… differently. The main premise of the book is an idea that human thinking is compartmentalized, but to start thinking differently, we need not to “get out of the box,” but rather define different boxes where the new concepts can find home.
Taylor Ellwood
In this book, the authors throw out the cliche of thinking outside the box and argue that we are always thinking in boxes but that we can choose what boxes we think in and can move from box to box to enhance our creative and problem solving skills. The authors also map out a process and use case studies to demonstrate how the process works.I particularly enjoyed their approach to using scenarios to help a business get out of its own way. I think this book is a must for business owners and busine ...more
Disclaimer: I received this book as part of the Goodreads Giveaway.

This book is written professionally and in a way that the average person can understand. The authors define the words they use often in a way that makes sense and the examples provided for their theories and explanations are very understandable. The examples provided are both hypothetical and real world, and as such are very helpful in explaining the steps that are required to do what is outlined in the book.

I liked how it manag
Fascinating look at how to re-think your company, what it really does, what it could be doing and how to re-energize all of that. Details of how to do this but also plenty of real and made up examples.
some nice thoughts about new ways of thinking but not all that practical for selling purposes.
Julien Steel
Great book on innovation and creativity.
I absolutely agree with the premise of the book. People have so many companies. Just because things have always been thought of in one way, doesn't mean that it is the right way, the best way or the only way.

Sticking to old ways of thinking is the death of progress. Rethink everything. Everything.

I did find the book to be more of a "how-to" rather than an overarching book of insights. If you are like looking to redefine a business or an approach, I encourage you not to take the box you are in at
Katie Rodemich
I won the book in a goodreads giveaway and if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have gotten the chance to read it. Reading , Thinking in New Boxes was both inspirational and practical. It was comprehensive, step-by-step guide to sharpening one’s wits in order to harness creativity in the workplace. Definitely a book I recommend!!
This book is amazing, It went in depth explanation of how to approach your problems, opportunities and people around you. It is not just a great business book but a book to guide your decisions in life overall. The facts supported the idea quite well and an easy read. This a pure gem, every person's must read. LOVED it!!
Shaymaa A.
كتاب عادي على أحسن تقدير. لم أشعر بالاستفادة؛ فالخطوات المذكور نظرية وغير واضحة تمامًا من الناحية التطبيقية، وبالتالي يصعب توحيدها على مختلف أنواع الأعمال التجارية. الكتاب في معظمه نماذج لقصص نجاح وفشل مؤسسات عريقة، وهذا الجزء كان جيد من رأيي لكنه لا يصب في موضوع الكتاب.
Very good and super-interesting description of the five steps to be more creative and think in ways you never have thought before. Is a very interesting books for black belts and leaders, because it gives plenty of ideas for brain activities and development exercises.
Visionlee Browning
Jul 08, 2013 Visionlee Browning marked it as to-read
:) I won this book . Excited to start reading it when ever it comes.
Niraj Shah
Niraj Shah marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2015
Lauren marked it as to-read
Terry Roberts
Terry Roberts marked it as to-read
Moath Danon
Moath Danon marked it as to-read
Mahesh Balaji
Mahesh Balaji marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Jeff Bobin
Jeff Bobin is currently reading it
Sep 28, 2015
Bryan marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Deepak Bisth
Deepak Bisth marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Tony Sheldon
Tony Sheldon marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Greg Roth
Greg Roth marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Attif marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Redesigning Leadership
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • The Maker Movement Manifesto: Rules for Innovation in the New World of Crafters, Hackers, and Tinkerers
  • Red Thread Thinking: Weaving Together Connections for Brilliant Ideas and Profitable Innovations
  • Think Like Zuck: The Five Business Secrets of Facebook's Improbably Brilliant CEO Mark Zuckerberg
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
  • Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • A Team of Leaders: Empowering Every Member to Take Ownership, Demonstrate Initiative, and Deliver Results
  • Leadership Transformed: How Ordinary Managers Become Extraordinary Leaders
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence
  • SmartTribes: How Teams Become Brilliant Together
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence
The Forgotten Half of Change: Achieving Greater Creativity through Changes in Perception La Valeur Des Idées: De La Créativité À La Stratégie En Entreprise O Lado Oculta das Mudanças Pensiero magico pensiero logico Petite Philosophie Des Histoires Drôles