Start by marking “Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity” as Want to Read:
Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity

Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  224 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When BIC, manufacturer of disposable ballpoint pens, wanted to grow, it looked for an idea beyond introducing new sizes and ink colors. Someone suggested lighters.

LIGHTERS?

With an idea that seemed crazy at first, that bright executive, instead of seeing BIC as a pen company—a business in the PEN “box”—figured out that there was growth to be found in the DISPOSABLE “bo
Published September 10th 2013 by Random House (first published January 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking in New Boxes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking in New Boxes

Brittany
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book via the Goodreads First Reads program.

I liked how this book showed that you should embrace the right ideas. It also shows that it's a wonderful idea to explore your surroundings - see what's out there that could inspire you.

All in all, a great book!
Jim Razinha
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
In 2000, I was in grad school at Texas A&M and got an email from the XO of the Navy ROTC unit we were administratively attached to: "Your boss is in town tonight...might want to think about going." The "boss" he was referring to was Rear Admiral Lou Smith, Commander of Naval Facilities Engineering Command and Chief of the Civil Engineer Corps (CEC), who was talking that night at the local Society of American Military Engineers. So, my two CEC cohorts also in grad school and I uniformed up an ...more
Paul
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Your company makes buggy whips. It has always made buggy whips. Sales have been flat for the past several quarters. As CEO, what, if anything, are you going to do about it?

First of all, doubt everything about your company (but not to the point of paralysis). Put everything about your company, and your view of the market, under the microscope. Don't assume that anything about your company will stay the same in the future. Next, you need to look around and consider your options. It's normal to kee
Shilpa
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
For years we have been told, “Think outside the box”. According to Luc De Brabandere and Alan Iny, strategic consultants at The Boston Consulting Group, there is one fundamental flaw in thinking in this manner: It is difficult! So, in their new book Thinking In New Boxes, the duo teach you five essential steps to spark the next big idea.

“You can’t even think without boxes, so don’t even try.”

You need to use a range of existing mental models to simplify things. Your mind relies on pre-existing
Martin Hernandez
Me gustó, pero no me encantó. Los autores proponen una manera "nueva" de romper los esquemas preconcebidos que han crecido con nosotros, para poder explotar la creatividad y encontrar ideas refrescantes e innovadoras. Es una extensión del clásico "pensar afuera de la caja", sólo que en lugar de ver la caja desde afuera, lo que se busca es crear cajas nuevas, desafiantes e inspiradoras.
Algunas de las técnicas que presentan son muy interesantes y fáciles de implementar, pero aplicar al pie de la l
Bruno
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very refreshing "management" or "innovation" book, for two reasons: first it takes the "long" approach, and therefore avoids all the pitfalls of short-sighted marketing "ideas" or short-term incremental improvements. It asks specifically to instill doubt into one's thinking: what about if your company disappears in ten years, what if it gets 70% market share. How do you get there, what can happen?
Secondly, it also offers a rational and thinking approach to thinking, especially to criti
Wayne McCoy
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Thinking in New Boxes: A New Paradigm for Business Creativity' by Luc de Brabandere and Alan Iny is one of the better, more focused books I've read on business creativity. Instead of talking in broad, vague concepts, it gets to practical matters right away.

The usual thinking for creativity is to think outside the box, but doing that is harder than it sounds. It's better to recognize the boxes that we find ourselves in. The constraints we assume or place on our businesses, and then find new boxe
Ariana
Aug 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received this book as part of the Goodreads Giveaway.

This book is written professionally and in a way that the average person can understand. The authors define the words they use often in a way that makes sense and the examples provided for their theories and explanations are very understandable. The examples provided are both hypothetical and real world, and as such are very helpful in explaining the steps that are required to do what is outlined in the book.

I liked how it manag
Taylor Ellwood
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
In this book, the authors throw out the cliche of thinking outside the box and argue that we are always thinking in boxes but that we can choose what boxes we think in and can move from box to box to enhance our creative and problem solving skills. The authors also map out a process and use case studies to demonstrate how the process works.I particularly enjoyed their approach to using scenarios to help a business get out of its own way. I think this book is a must for business owners and busine ...more
Sharon
Sep 29, 2013 rated it liked it
I absolutely agree with the premise of the book. People have so many companies. Just because things have always been thought of in one way, doesn't mean that it is the right way, the best way or the only way.

Sticking to old ways of thinking is the death of progress. Rethink everything. Everything.

I did find the book to be more of a "how-to" rather than an overarching book of insights. If you are like looking to redefine a business or an approach, I encourage you not to take the box you are in at
Luke Thompson
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-book
This book breaks down creativity into five steps:

1. Doubt everything. Challenge current perspectives.
2. Probe the possible. Explore all options.
3. Diverge. Generate as many new ideas as you can, even if they seem crazy.
4. Converge. Evaluate & select the ideas that will drive results.
5. Reevaluate . Relentlessly.

Great case study about BIC pens --> lighters --> razors: re-framed themselves from pen company to a disposable product company
Alex Devero
May 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
It’s exceedingly difficult to see beyond our own limited perspective. But we’ll have to if we want to think creatively. To stimulate creative thinking, we must constantly challenge our worldview – the “boxes” that encapsulate what we believe to be possible – and apply methods that keep our subconscious from sabotaging us.
Philip
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very insightful book that forces a reader (or a listener ;-) ) to start thinking… differently. The main premise of the book is an idea that human thinking is compartmentalized, but to start thinking differently, we need not to “get out of the box,” but rather define different boxes where the new concepts can find home.
Jenine
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing, It went in depth explanation of how to approach your problems, opportunities and people around you. It is not just a great business book but a book to guide your decisions in life overall. The facts supported the idea quite well and an easy read. This a pure gem, every person's must read. LOVED it!!
Yogi Saputro
Amunisi berpikir kreatif ala konsultan BCG. Idenya bagus, dengan kemungkinan implementasi luas. Karena kemungkinan implementasi luas, penjelasan dalam buku ini tidak ada nilai praktisnya. Yang menarik cerita-cerita betapa "wah" dunia konsultan berpikir kreatif. Bab atau subbab tidak ada artinya. yang paling penting mungkin justru ada di satu dua paragraf saja.
Katie Rodemich
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won the book in a goodreads giveaway and if I hadn't I probably wouldn't have gotten the chance to read it. Reading , Thinking in New Boxes was both inspirational and practical. It was comprehensive, step-by-step guide to sharpening one’s wits in order to harness creativity in the workplace. Definitely a book I recommend!!
Ariadna73
Sep 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Very good and super-interesting description of the five steps to be more creative and think in ways you never have thought before. Is a very interesting books for black belts and leaders, because it gives plenty of ideas for brain activities and development exercises.
Patty
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Fascinating look at how to re-think your company, what it really does, what it could be doing and how to re-energize all of that. Details of how to do this but also plenty of real and made up examples.
Sha Hafez
Apr 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
كتاب عادي على أحسن تقدير. لم أشعر بالاستفادة؛ فالخطوات المذكور نظرية وغير واضحة تمامًا من الناحية التطبيقية، وبالتالي يصعب توحيدها على مختلف أنواع الأعمال التجارية. الكتاب في معظمه نماذج لقصص نجاح وفشل مؤسسات عريقة، وهذا الجزء كان جيد من رأيي لكنه لا يصب في موضوع الكتاب.
Lamsouth
Jul 29, 2014 rated it liked it
some nice thoughts about new ways of thinking but not all that practical for selling purposes.
Julien Steel
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book on innovation and creativity.
James
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the company fables and the convergence / divergence processes for creativity.
Jeff Bobin
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A step by step process to help you and your organization think in new ways.

We all think in boxes and learning to stretch, move outside and enter new ones is critical.
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Sithu Kyaw
Nov 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Three Rules: How Exceptional Companies Think
  • Leaders Open Doors: A Radically Simple Leadership Approach to Lift People, Profits, and Performance
  • Nothing Is Impossible: 7 Steps to Realize Your True Power and Maximize Your Results
  • Great Work: How to Make a Difference People Love
  • A Team of Leaders: Empowering Every Member to Take Ownership, Demonstrate Initiative, and Deliver Results
  • Red Thread Thinking: Weaving Together Connections for Brilliant Ideas and Profitable Innovations
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, and Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • Leadership Transformed: How Ordinary Managers Become Extraordinary Leaders
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Leadership and the Art of Struggle: How Great Leaders Grow Through Challenge and Adversity
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • Think Like Zuck: The Five Business Secrets of Facebook's Improbably Brilliant CEO Mark Zuckerberg
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage