Start by marking “Any Other Name (The Split Worlds, #2)” as Want to Read:
Any Other Name (The Split Worlds, #2)

Any Other Name

(The Split Worlds #2)

Cat has been forced into an arranged marriage with William - a situation that comes with far more strings than even she could have anticipated, especially when she learns of his family's intentions for them both.

Meanwhile, Max and the gargoyle investigate The Agency - a mysterious organisation that appears to play by its own rules - and none of them favourable to Society.
Published May 28th 2013 by Angry Robot (first published May 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Any Other Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Any Other Name

Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/07/28/...

Any Other Name is the second book of Emma Newman’s The Split Worlds series, and things are certainly getting very interesting. I read this one as part of the SF/F Read Along group, and as you can imagine, the last month has been filled with much intense and spirited discussion over the characters’ outrageous actions and other unexpected surprises in the story.

While I’ll be keeping plot details to a minimum without going
Kaitlin
Jan 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
TW: Rape & Abuse

This is even better than the first book in the series. I loved getting to know Cathy and the other characters. I really felt that she was developed and improved as the story went, and she stood up for herself in some really horrible situations. Cathy has fast become a favourite character for me and she's definitely someone I admire and sympathise with.

I also really enjoyed the questions of hierarchy in society. This book has two characters challenge one another directly ove
Freya
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
FINALLY finished this book! It is a good book, I just wasn't in the right mood for it while I was reading it :(

proper review to come :)
Kathy (Kindle-aholic)
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Note: This is a book 2. I am going to try to be as spoiler-less as possible, but if you haven't read book 1, Between Two Worlds, then don't read this review. And go read book 1, it was excellent.

Middle books are not usually my favorites - I fully realize their importance, they just usually aren't the books I like best in the series. Any Other Name was fantastic and is high on my list of Best Middle Books in a Trilogy. I liked book 2 more than book 1 (and I really enjoyed book 1). Part of the rea
Alice
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5

TW : rape, abuse, torture

I want to give this 5 stars, if I was only following my instincts and the way I enjoyed this story it would be. But there's a plot point here that scares me and I don't know how it ill be resolved... I hope it's done well, I really want to thrust Emma Newman for this, I'm just not sure yet. So I'll see what happens next.

However, how dare you make me love a character and then make him do that ? WHY
Lynn Williams
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Any Other Name is the second book in Emma Newman’s Split World series which brings to us the separate worlds of the Fae (Exilium) and the modern day (Mundanus) – split by the Nether world where aristocratic families, rivals for power and position, still live in a world in a bubble or timewarp. A world where the people, fae touched, barely age. They hold to old traditions and are not affected by the modern world to which they are anchored.

In the first insta
Leah
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
*Copy received in exchange for an honest review*
*Thank you Net Galley and Angry Robot Books*
*If you haven't read Between Two Thorns, don't read this review*

Ahhhh, I loved this book! This one was even better than Between Two Thorns and I adored that one! There is nothing to dislike about this series. The book covers are beautiful, the content is amazing and the author is a wonderful person. So helpful and has all the time in the world for her fans.

Any Other Name picks up where Between Two Thorns
Christal (Badass Book Reviews)
See this review and others like it at BadassBookReviews.com!

I really enjoyed Emma Newman's "Split Worlds" debut, Between Two Thorns, but I absolutely loved Any Other Name. It expanded on the wonderful fantasy world and showed new depths to all its characters. I highly recommend this novel to all lovers of fantasy, both traditional and urban.

Cathy was a very fun character in the previous book, but she is especially strong here. I loved seeing her shine in Nether London society. It was so interest
Timothy Pecoraro
Aug 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My expectations from the first book, Between Two Thorns; were completely blown away by Any Other Name. I have rarely seen a better second book in a series or such improvement over the first. Which was quite a good book in it’s own right. Without the slow start of the first and some of the more general world building accomplished. This book allowed the reader to enjoy the characters we were familiar with from the first book. Really getting into some excellent scenes and story. The pacing in this ...more
Wayne McCoy
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
'Any Other Name' by Emma Newman is the second book in the Split Worlds series. I first found out about this series in a series of weekly short stories that got sent out by the author. This book takes place after the first full volume, not the stories.

The series takes place between our world and the world of the fae. In that world, there are warring factions and families. This story has lots of characters and story threads that continue on from the last time.

This time Catherine has been forced in
Fran Jacobs
Jun 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Usually the second book in a series is the weakest. It's filler. It's taking the reader from A to B. But that really isn't the case here. The plot is fast moving and it, and the characters, are engaging.

Cathy is the most complex character i think. A feminist, a girl who wants to live her own life, be with the man of her choice, forced into a victorian esque society where everything is decided for her by her father and then her husband. She moans about it a lot, inwardly, maybe a bit too much, an
imyril
If Between Two Thorns left me wondering how much worse a world can get – from the perspective of a clever, independent, modern woman – then Any Other Name is a resounding answer of ‘a whole lot and then a bit more’.

I think I'm on 3.5 * for this instalment - I've enjoyed it more than the first as the characters (notably Cathy) have started to come into their own, but WOW it managed to find my rage triggers and give my rant mode a thorough work-out.

This isn’t a book I’d recommend as an entry po
Tara
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. It's so addictive in a way I can't explain. There was not a single point I found my mind straying when reading, no point I had to backtrack to reread passages from both lack of understanding or distraction. I plowed straight through until I could no longer, until daily responsibilities called me to tend to them instead.

Our primary characters grow and change according to circumstances, they face tragedy and challenges that push them beyond the limits of what they expect.

Even t
Joanne Hall
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fiona
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Sara Norja
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Again, enjoyable! A quick read. I really enjoy how everyone gets so soothed by tea in these books. Something I can relate to. :D

However there were some things that I found more frustrating, some of them continuing on from the first book too:

(view spoiler)
RubyNibs
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Because the author shows promise, I read this book immediately after the first in the series, hoping to see tighter writing. To that fancy, I say, "Dream on, Self!"

Again, more fun fantasy elements spoiled by a growing rant on the oppression of women. (Emma, your fantasy could be something, if you'd only drop the political nonsense. Or, if you must write historical fiction in a fantasy world, then please do study the history so you get it right.)

Sloppy plotting. Any Other Name is yet another Emm
Alleyne Dickens
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading the first book in this trilogy, I was only reading a few chapters at night before going to sleep. That ended when it snowed and I really sunk into the Split World. I inhaled it and purchased the 2nd book yesterday. I finished it his afternoon (after sitting up until 3 last night). And even though I promised myself not to do it, I've already downloaded the 3rd book.

Many of the things I quibbled about in my review of Between Two Thorns were indeed resolved (or are on their w
Wealhtheow
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
In the early 1800s, a number of powerful fey lords created a bubble world for their favorite humans to live in. Centuries later, the descendants of those favorites live on in pampered golden cages. Catherine managed to escape the magical world long enough to attend university and live a life of her own, but when she came of age, the fey pulled her back in. Now she's been forcibly married to a near-stranger and is desperate to avoid being his wife. And her husband Will is desperate to become the ...more
Joel Mitchell
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
This book follows the continuing struggles of Catherine Rhoeas-Papaver as she is forced back into the social maneuvering and political intrigues of the regency era-esque “fae-touched society” that operates parallel to our own.

I really wanted to like this book, but was bored through much of it. The main plot points were certainly interesting but there are pages and pages of moping, acting bewildered, agonizing, soul-searching, schmoozing, and philandering that occur between things that actually m
JJ
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Still absolutely loving this world though the pacing was a bit off here. Lagged a bit in the middle, and some information was introduced late that could have come much sooner and kept the tension up in the middle. But the characters are well rendered and very complicated. Enjoying how much I sympathize with some, thinking they are good, find out they might not be, then think they are again, then discover they aren't. Perhaps too much 'will they, won't they' between the newly marrieds, and defini ...more
Paul Trembling
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With the main aspects of the 'Split Worlds' already established in book one of the series, 'Any Other Name' lacks some of the wow factor of the first book. A lot of characters and situations are familiar. However, there is still plenty of new things to discover, new players introduced, new levels of mystery and intrigue to explore.

One of the things I particularly liked was the way in which things introduced in low-key in book one take on new significance now. This way of developing the plot over
A.C. Lillywhite
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
On average this one rates higher than the first book in the series, and I am baffled. Don't get me wrong, I really liked it, a lot, actually, but compared to the first book in the series, it was disappointing. It's much more Will's story than I wanted. And Will's interesting enough. But, a lot of really great plot points for Cathy crop up early on, but then the book ends with most of those promises for her arc being dropped about 3/4 of the way in. I'm hoping that it's only a pacing issue and th ...more
Crystal Reynolds
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mieneke
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2013, 2019
One of my favourite books this year, if not my favourite so far was Emma Newman's Between Two Thorns . It's no great secret that I think Emma is fabulous and that I love her Split Worlds, so it should come as no surprise that I loved Any Other Name. What I hadn't expected was the direction the book took and the twists Newman added to the story. Discussing the book will inevitably give spoilers for the first one, so be warned. If you want to remain unspoiled clicking away now would be advisable. ...more
Debby Kean
Feb 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Disappointing, the more so because I have just finished a book by the same author, Weaver's Lament which was excellent!
By contrast, this is confusing, and the viewpoint character, the female one, is an infuriatingly self-centred whining drama queen with no sense of proportion and a foul mouth. (probably because in book 1 which I have not read she spent years in our 21st century world of casual sex, media and self indulgence.
Jo
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy, magic, pub-2013
I found it a struggle to remember the first book properly as it had been so long since I’d read it. I’m not sure if that’s because the first book just didn’t stick in my mind or if the tie backs just weren’t good enough.

It was ok but the set of characters still seem very separate and because of that the action felt quite jumpy between them. But it was also a nice fun read.
Liz
Aug 03, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Mixed feelings about this one. The world that Newman has created is fascinating, with modern day and Faerie and the Victorian-ish Nether all juxtaposed. However, the characters are all awful to each other -- everyone seems to be magically drugging everyone else to get what they want -- and that's not very enjoyable to read.
Chris
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook
Well I don't think the series has gotten any better. It was a quick enough read, but all the major characters are starting to come a big unhinged and doing very morally questionable (or downright reprehensible) things. I don't think I can say I would recommend this to anyone, but I'm going to read the third one to see how it ends.
Imani
Jul 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Damn!

There she goes again with her endings! Just Damn!!!

Where's my third book library!!!!

(Now I really to rest my eyes bcuz I've been reading this for almost twelve hours straight and I need to rest my feels now!)

• Skulk (Skulk, #1)
  • Student Bodies (Poltergeeks, #2)
  • She Returns From War
  • Grains of Truth (The Truth Be Told #1)
  • Moonset (Legacy of Moonset, #1)
  • One Great Year
  • Portlandtown: A Tale of the Oregon Wyldes
  • Deadly Diamonds (Knight and Devlin #4)
  • Emilie and the Sky World (Emilie, #2)
  • Turbulence
  • The Book of the Crowman (Black Dawn #2)
  • The Weight of Souls
  • In the Moors (A Shaman Mystery, #1)
  • Follow the White Rabbit (Beautiful Madness, #1)
  • Secretariat Reborn
  • Lawless & The Devil of Euston Square: Introducing Campbell Lawless
  • The Woken Gods
  • Letters From a Murderer (Finley Jameson & Joseph Argenti #1)
Emma Newman writes dark short stories and science fiction and urban fantasy novels.

'Between Two Thorns', the first book in Emma's Split Worlds urban fantasy series, was shortlisted for the BFS Best Novel and Best Newcomer awards.

Emma's latest book, Planetfall, is a standalone science fiction novel published by Roc.

Emma is a professional audiobook narrator and also co-writes and hosts the Hugo-no

The Split Worlds (5 books)
  • Between Two Thorns (The Split Worlds, #1)
  • All Is Fair (The Split Worlds, #3)
  • A Little Knowledge (The Split Worlds, #4)
  • All Good Things (The Split Worlds, #5)