Start by marking “The New Personality Self-Portrait: Why You Think, Work, Love and Act the Way You Do” as Want to Read:

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  255 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
The New Personality Self -portrait  is the only guide to personality types based on  the American Psychiatric Association's  just-published official diagnostic system -- the DSM  -IV -- and written by one of today's  leading personality researchers. A long-time  backlist bestseller in its previous edition, it has now  been completely updated to include all the  fascinating ...more
Published November 7th 2012 by Bantam (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The New Personality Self-Portrait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Personality Self-Portrait

Katya Kean
While not as useful to me as Please Understand Me 2, it did fill in another dimension of personality typing that couldn't be covered by the Meyers-Briggs type. I found it very useful in understanding people and myself better, having more compassion, and just not letting some things get to me as much.
Emily
Nov 16, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Is it stupid for me to say that I wasn't blown away by this book because I wasn't too happy with what it told me I was? I mean it was accurate, just a little depressing.
Lizzy
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVE LOVE LOVE----------learned SOOOOOOO much about myself and others through this book....its like a bible for me. I swear its beaten up so bad.
Andrea Norton
Every now and then, a book comes along that blows you away in all of your "awesome book" criteria. Those books are rare, though; very few and far between. But, when you do find one, you love it so much that you want to buy one for everyone you know.

This is one of those books for me. I've read plenty of personality books - they're fun and easy. I've been disappointed with quite a few of them and I've greatly enjoyed others. New Personality Self Portrait is at the very top of these books - I abso
Jim Dooley
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have long pursued these personality test books with a jaundiced eye. Even Myers-Briggs left a lot of room for wide open interpretation...in a sense, allowing me to be whoever I wanted to be.

Imagine my surprise when I found the analysis of me in this book to be dead-on accurate. I'll admit that it needs to be seen as a snapshot of my life at the given time when it was taken, but it gave me a wealth of information that I have been able to use for further investigation.

I especially enjoyed the ad
Dominique
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Introspective People
A Very Good Book that allows You to Understand Yourself

[Note: Review transitioned from Barnes & Noble website]

I like this book, I started getting curious about my personality, people are always telling me that I am too serious. There are 14 different personalities and it talks about each one of them, you take a test at the beginning of the book and you score yourself on a chart. They recommended you read the personality chapters in the order of your strongest personality traits. I wish it we
John Orman
Interesting book, comes with a questionnaire and chart to help you determine your personality style in many situations. Also tips on how to deal with people with differing styles, and how to tell when traits descend into personality disorders!

From Leisurely Style ("California Dreaming") to Aggressive ("Top Dog"), the book nails us all, with attendant personality disorders from passive-aggressive to sadistic.
Penny
May 22, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this one ages ago but just stumbled upon it again. It's sort of nice to find a possible explanation (and possible validation) for some of my quirkier personality traits. It's also interesting and humbling to see how letting a couple of traits go too far might push one over the edge into a disordered state. Maybe it's a good thing my #1 and #2 scores appeared to be in direct opposition to each other. :)
Pam
Nov 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: life-changing
I've taken a few personality tests, but never one so detailed. I found the information useful and the layout of the book makes it very reader friendly. It's an interesting and informative peek into why we behave the we do.
Kayla
Jul 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a "self help" book that my therapist wanted me to read. I do, however, think everyone should read it. I agree that "You cannot read this book without attaining a deeper and clearer understanding of yourself and the people you care about." ~Herbert Pardes, M.D.
Nancy
This description of multiple personality traits and their associated disorders described so many people I know.. I was disappointed that I couldn't figure out how to take the test for myself on the Kindle version of the book.
Kevin
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
recommended for exploring your own traits, and getting to know other's with clarity, so that we can better listen, interact, and care for one another. Based on the DSM IV, good to be more aware of how our 'normal' is the shallow side of different disorders.
Trudi
Dec 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, 2008
Interesting and fun...I think I've landed firmly in the "Leisurely" personality type...is that just a polite way of saying lazy? Meh...I can live with that :-)
Jordan Coch
Great
Kiara
Aug 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this one. It surprised me how on target the personalit test seemed. It helped me view some of my personality traints more positively.
Nor Sofiah
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i do love this boook.
Carroll
Aug 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended by my counselor.
Nicole
Sep 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, well written, and accurate.
Brenna Marie Lee Spoehr
Jun 03, 2013
  • The Meditative Mind: The Varieties of Meditative Experience
  • The Informed Heart
  • Beyond the Brain: Birth, Death, and Transcendence in Psychotherapy
  • Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work
  • Feminine Psychology
  • Telling Yourself the Truth
  • The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry
  • Dying of Embarrassment: Help for Social Anxiety and Phobia
  • Food Chaining: The Proven 6-Step Plan to Stop Picky Eating, Solve Feeding Problems, and Expand Your Child's Diet
  • Relationships: How to Make Bad Relationships Better and Good Relationships Great
  • Mending the Soul: Understanding and Healing Abuse
  • Sex in Human Loving
  • Altered States of Consciousness: A Book of Readings
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • When Perfect Isn't Good Enough: Strategies for Coping with Perfectionism
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • The Bipolar Child: The Definitive and Reassuring Guide to Childhood's Most Misunderstood Disorder
  • Right Hand, Left Hand: The Origins of Asymmetry in Brains, Bodies, Atoms and Cultures

Nonfiction Deals

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • Forks Over Knives: The Plant-Based Way to Health
    $14.95 $2.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis
    $13.99 $1.99
“We seem historically to be more comfortable with others who are similar to us rather than different—same” 0 likes