Start by marking “Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, #1)” as Want to Read:

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

(Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  880,310 ratings  ·  59,317 reviews

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of curious photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wa

Paperback, 1st paperback edition, 382 pages
Published June 4th 2013 by Quirk Books (first published June 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, please sign up.
Mommooshka It is an adventurous book with frequently scary or disturbing sections. I'd compare the scariest portions to the Dementors and Boggarts in Harry…moreIt is an adventurous book with frequently scary or disturbing sections. I'd compare the scariest portions to the Dementors and Boggarts in Harry Potter. So use that as a measure of whether you'd be fine with reading this book.(less)
Sharon My two cents is that Emma initially went through the loop as part of the routine of making sure the loop stays open (like what Mar said), and when in…moreMy two cents is that Emma initially went through the loop as part of the routine of making sure the loop stays open (like what Mar said), and when in the house, she probably realized something was amiss and suspected an intruder and probably hoped for a split second that it could be Abe.

I think.... well that's what I got out of it and I think I'll stick to that :) (less)

·  880,310 ratings  ·  59,317 reviews

Start your review of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, #1)
Crystal Starr Light
Hi! I'm tired of defending myself for what I wrote on this stupid book. So I thought I would do a favor to all you super-fans out there that want to read a negative review of their favorite book (WHY??!?), and just hide it with spoiler tags. So now, if Goodreads hasn't goofed, you can just see this review and move on. Focus on reading books that you like instead of hunting down negative reviews for your favorite book. Or writing a review why you liked this book. You know, the reason we are all on Good ...more
Tatiana
Let me tell you a secret, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is actually:

(I don't think what follows is a spoiler, but am marking it as such anyway as some people think it is.)

(view spoiler) ...more
Rick Riordan
Nov 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been getting a lot of well-deserved attention for the way it incorporates unusual antique photographs into the narrative. The premise: Jacob grew up on his grandfather’s stories about his own childhood during World War II. Supposedly his grandfather escaped the Holocaust by taking refuge on a Welsh island, at an orphanage that catered to children with strange powers. The grandfather even has photos to prove it. As Jacob grows up, he loses faith in his grandfather, and assumes the s ...more
Zoë
May 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edit on January 9th, 2016: I haven't thought about this book since I read it in July and I really have no interest anymore in reading the rest of the series.
----------
It definitely was a slow moving book, but the plot really held my attention and I loved the use of the pictures. Sometimes I felt like he tried a little too hard to make the pictures perfectly fit into the story which made it a little awkward to read, but they still made the reading experience more interesting. The book real
Christine Riccio
Really enjoyed this!! Here's my booktalk! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9IEq... Can't wait to read Hollow City =D
Emily May
When I was a child, one of my favourite things to do was to look through pictures in books - children's picture books, colouring books, etc. - and tell stories in my mind with them.

For example, a picture of two children holding hands would start this story of friendship, which would then grow with every picture, introducing grander stories and dragons, unicorns, whatever the pictures gave me.

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children reminds me of that.

This story, for me, feels completely disjointed and messy. It is evidently framed around this marvelous collection of creepy, vintage photographs, but the story is not smoothly incorporated. It reads like you can imagine the author viewing each image and trying to find a way to fit it into the plot of the book.

Here's a weird image of a girl smoking a pipe and peeling potatoes, how can I make that part of the story? Here's a creepy picture of some twins in clown outfits, how do I add that to the book?

And if you're thinking of reading this as a creepy book for Halloween - it is not scary at all. The narrative never delivers an atmosphere deserving of the photography. It's all a bit bland and never becomes anything more than a standard paranormal tale about teens/children with special powers.

Additionally, the narrator - Jacob - is simply not a character I like to read about. I hate it when rich, privileged narrators constantly wallow in their own self-pity for no good reason. Here, he says:
If I never went home, what exactly would I be missing? I pictured my cold cavernous house, my friendless town full of bad memories, the utterly unremarkable life that had been mapped out for me.

What??? He is from a ridiculously wealthy family and has two loving parents and lives in a huge house. He did have a part time job, but he took it for granted and spent his time showing up late and deliberately shelving things wrong because he wanted to be fired. He also did have a best friend, but his friend not surprisingly walked out after this exchange:
“What are you, my mom?”
“Do I look like I blow truckers for food stamps?”

I did not like him at all. Some unlikable characters are unlikable in a complex and interesting way, but Jacob is just a spoiled, entitled and selfish brat.

Add that to the simplistic, yet messy, storytelling and this book was completely disappointing. I'm also tempted to say it "reads like a middle grade" book, but that would be an insult to some of the fantastic middle grade books I've read recently. It just reads like a not very good book.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Youtube | Store
Wigs
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't even.

The poor execution of a good idea is just so upsetting to me.

The main problem with this book is that the entire time I was reading I felt like a high school English teacher grading a student's paper, when in fact I am not a teacher or anyone who majored in English or writing. If I am simply a normal reader thinking this, then who the hell was working as the editor?? Did they not bring up these issues? Clearly the several peo
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
This is just one of those books whose hype I don't really "get." I read this years ago when it was newly released, and was thoroughly unimpressed. Upon my second reading of this book, my opinion remains unchanged.

A few creepy pictures and some weird people do not a horror tale make, and honestly, that's all the story is. It's a book about stories, and too much attention is focused on the telling of those stories instead of developing the actual plot. As a result, the tale fell flat for me. It wa
Giselle
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started with a bang. It was very creepy, exciting and really intriguing, but it all went downhill from there. Once the mystery around the house was explained - which was fairly early and without any nuance - it became a very boring and almost childish story, which I didn't expect at all.

One thing I can say I enjoyed was the photographs- they're scattered throughout the book, all black and white and remarkably creepy. They add a nice eery touch to the story and gives it a really unique
Nick
Nov 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

I wanted to like this way more, and I really tried to. As a huge X-men fan, I kind of went into this book with such high hopes and expectations. The book as a physical copy is done extremely well, the details, the creepy pictures, the way it is written is breathtaking. Sadly the story disappointed me so much. In the last few pages I didn't even care about any of the characters anymore.

I really wanted to like this.

Was it worth reading ? - I can't say for sure.
Will
Felicia
This is kinda like uh...a hipster Harry Potter. Not a bad thing! I liked it a lot. There are tons of cool vintage photographs that lend the air of a turn of the century freak show. I loved the world and the vibe though.
Lola

Miss Peregrine’s School for Peculiar Children is no horror story.

This is precisely why I decided to give this book a go. Horror is my never-go-near genre. It represents for me what Lord Voldemort represents for the students of Hogwarts: infinite nightmares. So when I read that this bestseller steers clear of the nightmarish stuff, I couldn’t have been happier.

No creepy, eerie, ominous atmosphere. When you do sense a bit of that, 1- it never lasts too long and 2- it feels so forced that it ends up being dul
Annalisa
Sep 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Annalisa by: Barnes and Noble

Have you ever played that game where one person starts a story and stops mid-sentence and the next person in the circle has to pick up the story? That's how reading this book felt, only instead of jumping from disjointed person to person, it jumps from disjointed photograph to photograph.

Too bad because it started off fantastic. I loved the writing, the humorous way Riggs has with descriptions, and the old-fashion carny photos were a nice touch. I especially love
Alejandro
A peculiar reading indeed!

This is the first book in the trilogy of the same name than the title of this very book.

THE PECULIAR X-MENISH

We cling to our fairy tales until the price for believing them becomes too high.

This was a book hard to rate, since it provoked some contradictory feelings.

I enjoyed a lot the concept of creating a new “world to be discovered” in an era where it’s supposed that everywhere was already explored, along with such unique (for not saying “particulars”) characters/>
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
This was amazing and I enjoyed it immensely.

I actually grabbed this book because I loved the movie.

description

And I watched this movie because, yes, I love anything fantastical and magical...

...but mostly, I watched it because I adore Eva Green…

God, I love her.

description

...and I will literally watch any movie she’s in.
Because, as I said…obsessed.

Isn't she fierce?

Anystalker, after watching the movie – which I don’t even know why I loved so much, I j
Jun 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every so often a book comes along that is pure magic, and "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" is one such book. Part fantasy, part adventure, part eccentric photo collection, this is a story that will enthrall and enchant teens and adults.
Jacob is the sixteen year old narrator, and he is intelligent, funny, realistic and perceptive. He is very close to his secretive grandfather, who used to tell him fantastic tales of his youth, and the children's home where he grew up. These tal
Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters
Audiobook......and Physical Book!!! BOTH!!!

Wow...I had no idea what I was missing!!!! I think it's wonderful!!! The AUDIOBOOK made the difference for 'me'. I've had the hard copy for a couple of years--but kept putting it off. The print is small in the book - and jumping around looking at the pictures without having read the story didn't mean anything 'yet'. NOW THEY DO!

So, I started with the AUDIOBOOK. I can't imagine anybody not being drawn into the story immediately. I was almost in tears b
Wendy Darling
I did a fun thing last week! I was invited to the Tim Burton handprint ceremony in Hollywood and a screening of the MISS PEREGRINE movie.

More photos and event recap on the blog. http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2016... Winona Ryder was there, and it was kind of strange to see her again after seeing STRANGER THINGS so recently, heh.

I really enjoyed the film, btw! And now I must acquire a copy of the book to read.
Hazel (Stay Bookish)
Seeing this book when I entered the bookstore one time, the peculiar cover truly piqued my curiosity. I didn't buy it that instant though or the time after that and the time after that. Although it was on my "to-read list", I wasn't a big fan of supernatural stories (this is what I assumed the story to be about) and so reading this wasn't one of my top priorities. I knew I had to read it some point in time to finally cross it off the list and when I heard about the Ransom's book signing, I knew ...more
Darth J
So I bought the trilogy in hardcover at B&N, hoping to dive into this series head first. It came with a bunch of cards:

So I'm a little disappointed that the cover of the book doesn't match up with the tone for much of it. It was written too modern and I felt like it was a mismatch to have such classic photography throughout. I kept looking back to the cover while reading like:

Second most of the characters are just plain boring. Jacob has the gift of seeing monsters... lame. He's a pretty flat character to begin with, despite having a backstory. He falls in ~like~ with his grandpa's old gf who can conjure flames in her hands, but I think that's pretty squicky. There's a boy who can make golems with animal hearts, and a girl who can animate topiarys, but all in all the kids are dry and dull.

Now, Miss Peregrine was an interesting old broad (yes, I'm using old timey slang, deal with it). She can turn into a bird and can manipulate time. Also, was I the only one who saw her as Dame Maggie Smith the whole book?

All in all, not a great book but not a bad one either. I've heard the second and third ones are better and since I already plunked down the cash for them, I'm going to go ahead and read them.
Madeline
It was...fine?

I liked the inclusion of old, weird photographs throughout the book, especially the way they were placed - you would read an offhand description of something odd, turn the page, and there was the photo showing exactly that. I liked that part, and the photos were always a pleasant surprise, even though I spent way too much time trying to figure out how they had been faked.

But there were just too many stumbling blocks for me to really enjoy this book. The biggest and mos
Kai
Apr 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016

A boy, a death, a monster in the shadows. Everything leads to a far-away island with an abandoned orphanage. Here it is for the boy to uncover secrets and threats he couldn't have possibly imagined.

What took me so long to read this? Probably the fact that someone else snatched this book away from me whenever I was at the library.
Rigg's first novel was fascinating and had an intriguing dark t
Fabian
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Booo...! The dude's a photography collector not a novelist.

Very disappointed not only in reading this nicely-packaged "novel", but to learn that Tim Burton is directing its celluloid equivalent. GAG. Will someone use good novel material already!

After my time with it--in which the reader silently prays that more photos will be included, less prose--I am left like a kitten rolled around in thorns. Too many to pick at, I guess I find the biggest fault (a biggie) in the incon
Jo
WARNING: This review may contain excessive (and possibly incorrect) use of the Welsh language. Diolch.

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
Woaaah. Also, the sequel is going to be bendigedig!

High Points.
TERRIFYING. Originality. Kick-ass taids! Creepy but adorable children. Fairy tales… or are they? WW11. Cymru. Culture and heritage. Time-travel. Crumbling old houses. League of Gentlemen-esque locals. Ghosts, spooks and fire-throwers, OH MY. And, my favourite part of this book, the beautiful photos. Looking at the/>High
Charlotte May
“If all the suns but ours collapsed tonight, how many lifetimes would it take us to realise that we were alone? I had always known the sky was full of mysteries – but not until now had I realised how full of them the earth was.”

I thoroughly enjoyed this mysterious fantasy!
Jacob’s grandfather always used to tell him stories about his childhood. About a children’s home filled with kids who all had wonderful and strange capabilities; from invisibility and super strength to having two mouths or a
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

It doesn’t hurt me to say that I have watched the movie before I read the book. What hurts me to say is that even though I loved the book, I enjoyed the movie way more. But I am not here to compare the book and the movie, because I loved them both in a different way.

‘’I had just come to accept that my life would be ordinary when extraordinary things began to happen.’’

Jacob was raised by his grandfather, who told him stories about the amazing house he used to live in, and all the childre
Will Byrnes
My grandfather had described it a hundred times, but in his stories the house was always a bright, happy place—big and rambling, yes, but full of light and laughter. What stood before me now was no refuge from monsters, but a monster itself, staring down from its perch on the hill with vacant hunger. Trees burst forth from broken windows and skins of scabrous vine gnawed at the walls like antibodies attacking a virus—as if nature itself had waged war against it—but the house seemed unkillable,
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. True story: I've always liked to draw, and when I was a kid I loved the party game where people draws a random scribble on a piece of paper, and then you pass your scribble to someone else and they have to create a drawing based on your scribble:

description
I totally ruled at this game, and am still willing to take on all comers.

So, this bo
Reading Corner
I still have mixed feelings about this book and I can't really make my mind up on the rating so I've decided on 3 stars.The book was sort of all over the place and gives a false image.I naively presumed that the novel would be creepy from it's cover and title but it definitely wasn't.Although,the pictures themselves appear creepy and sinister, the story is not.

For me,the pictures were the best part as they're gripping and alluring but the story is awkwardly written around them and mo
J.L.   Sutton
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mystery begets mystery as the world of Miss Peregrine and her orphanage for peculiar children takes shadowy shape. I was immediately intrigued by how the story unfolds (through vintage photographs). The atmosphere works nicely with our protagonist's search for answers on a remote island off the coast of Wales where most of the action takes place. After a beginning (which quickly drew me in), it took some time for me to get caught up in the story again. It was a fun read. The ending left plenty o ...more

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Speak
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Other Worlds
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Cardturner: A Novel about a King, a Queen, and a Joker
  • The Light (Morpheus Road, #1)
  • His Dark Materials (His Dark Materials #1-3)
  • The Madness Underneath (Shades of London, #2)
  • The Shattering
  • Bruiser
  • Far Far Away
  • Wonder Show
Hi, I'm Ransom, and I like to tell stories. Sometimes I tell them with words, sometimes with pictures, often with both. I grew up on a farm on the Eastern shore of Maryland and also in a little house by the beach in Englewood, Florida where I got very tan and swam every day until I became half fish. I started writing stories when I was young, on an old typewriter that jammed and longhand on legal ...more

Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children (6 books)
  • Hollow City (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #2)
  • Library of Souls (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #3)
  • A Map of Days (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #4)
  • The Conference of the Birds (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #5)
  • Unknown (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #6)
“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.” 2879 likes
“We cling to our fairy tales until the price for believing in them becomes too high.” 1901 likes