Start by marking “Specky Magee (Specky Magee, #1)” as Want to Read:
Specky Magee (Specky Magee, #1)

Specky Magee (Specky Magee #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  266 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This is a great book by former football great Gary Lyon and author Felice Arena. It is about a young boy, passionate about football. Although football plays a great role in this story, it also talks about the emotional aspects. Specky is on the search for his biological parents, after his parents tell him that he is adopted. It is a great book for children who love footbal ...more
Published March 27th 2002 by Angus&Robertson (HarperCollins) (first published 2002)

Ben Langdon
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it
A good idea. There's definitely a need for books on AFL, especially targeted at kids aged 8-12. I enjoyed the story well enough, and I could see how the parts written by Lyon (tips and strategy etc) work in the format, but I think it needs something more. Seemed a bit straight-down-the-middle. I'll keep reading the series to see how it develops.

Edit: I'm a high school teacher and I have to say that the Specky Magee books are easy to see around the school. They are well-loved and read by Year 7-8
Josh Treeby
The book I am reviewing is the first of 7 books, Speck Magee.

Specky Magee is a 12 year old boy who's number one passion is football. He is 12 years old and he goes to Booyong High. He play footy for his school team with his best mates Danny and Robbo.

The genre of this book Is one hundred percent sport. But, it is mixed in with a bit of love as well. He finds himself in a tight knot where he has to choose between one thing or the other. This book is absolutely great because everybody loves a go
Cody Connell
Specky Magee is one of the best novels I have read. The book is written by Gary Lyon and Felice Arena. Gary Lyon is a famous former footy player and was recently on the footy show on channel 9. The book is one of 8 books and the first one which was specks magee was made in 2002 and the last one was produced in 2013. The story is in order from the first book introducing the characters and the last one is concluding the story, so you would have to watch them in order of first to last. The genre of ...more
Melissa
Oct 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
My 13 year old has been bugging me to read this book for years, and I've finally read it. As someone who doesn't like AFL, or any sport, I wasn't sure that I'd like this book, but I did.

It's the story of Simon 'Specky' Magee. By accident he discovers something huge that explains why he loves footy and his family doesn't. Throughout the story, there are hints and tips about AFL that are helpful to explain the footy terms to someone who doesn't know about footy.

I enjoyed this book much more than I
Aston Short
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It really awesome that he tries to find his dad.
Maddy custard
Mar 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Don't you hate it when I nice read that's not supposed to be full of metaphors, symbolism or any of that fancy stuff is totally beaten in reviews? I mean, this book is a kids book for starters. It's not supposed to be the next To Kill a Mockingbird, and it's not trying to be.

Anyway, it's a great read especially for kids who love footy. I am probably getting too old to read these novels, and I don't know if a new one is coming out or not ever, after the Battle of the Young GUns. Apparently there
Apr 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Had to read this for children's lit. By about the third chapter I was bored SENSELESS and could not go on. I find footy a dull enough game to watch, let alone have described in agonizing detail. And to add insult to injury there were GAME TIPS and ADVICE FROM AFL PLAYERS and other such gems of wisdom studded through the text at regular intervals. I mean, I can see how it would appeal to a huge number of footy-obsessed aussie kids and that's great if it gets them reading, blah blah, but in my opi ...more
Caitlin
Specky is a gifted football player and the star of his high school football team, but he feels like his parents and sister hardly notice. His family don't care about football. In fact, he can't help notice he has hardly anything in common with his family at all.

After finding a photo of himself as a toddler dressed head-to-toe in Geelong Cats clothes, he starts to become suspicious - they're not telling him something... but what?

A great book with lots of tips about how to play great football. Th
Nat Frankli
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
the first specky magee is about a young boy who loves footy he is one of the most talented players in his side becuase of his awesome marking ability, but his dad and family dont like watching him play he doesnt know where he got his love for footy from when one day he finds a photo of him dressed up in footy gear, so he investegates, he is not pleased in what he finds!
Bryan
Aug 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book appeals to all those who enjoys AFL, usually for teenagers between our age. Written by Gary Lyon & Felice Arena, it entails the story of a young kid named Specky and his football career. It gives the audience real life insights into the life of footy players and what they go through. It's a really pleasant and fun book to read.
Oliver Burnell
Sep 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
The first specky magee book to be written, it was a very sporty book with lots of aussy life in it, but ofcourse there were hugeissues for specky to solve, i have now finished the 2nd which i couldnt wait to read after the first one.

Great book for teen readers into sport
Chandler Liang
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it
A good book for children who love sport and footy.
Denis
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
beast
Flynn Ross
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
good book. sequels are definetely better than the first one.
EvanG
  • Deadly, Unna?
  • Toad Away (Toad, #3)
  • Writing Clementine
  • The Ruby Talisman
  • Horse Trade (Saddle Club, #38)
  • Jumping Fences
  • Tara: Learning to Fly (Dance Academy, #1)
  • New Guinea Moon
  • The Girl from Snowy River
  • Freaks of Greenfield High (Freaks, #1)
  • Thai-Riffic!
  • Losing It
  • Emily Eyefinger (Emily Eyefinger, #1)
  • Nona & Me
  • Creepy and Maud
  • White Crane (Samurai Kids, #1)
Felice Arena is one of Australia’s much-loved children’s authors. His books have topped bestseller lists and won several awards, including six Australian Children Choice Book Awards. Some of these include the action-packed bionic series Andy Roid, Wish, Whippersnapper, Sporty Kids, the enormously popular Specky Magee series and most recently his thrilling WW2 middle grade novel, The Boy and the Sp ...more
More about Felice Arena...

Specky Magee (9 books)