Start by marking “Morgarten (The Forest Knights, #2)” as Want to Read:
Morgarten (The Forest Knights, #2)

Morgarten (The Forest Knights #2)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  309 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
MORGARTEN (Book 2 of The Forest Knights Duology)

This action-packed conclusion to The Forest Knights series picks up where ALTDORF left off.

A small force of peasants from the forest regions surrounding Lake Lucerne, rise up against their Austrian overlords in the 14th century. Outnumbered seven-to-one by the battle-hardened Habsburg army, they have little hope.

A daring moon
ebook
Published November 2012 by UE Publishing Co.

To ask other readers questions about Morgarten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morgarten

Lucian
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yep, it was as good as the first book, Altdorf. Mysteries revealed, wars fought, good prevailed. I burned through this in two days, work days mind you. And for those co-workers who may read this review, I did not read all day at my desk. Only at lunch.
As a lover of historical fiction it was refreshing to read about another part of medieval Europe for a change. I hope there is more to this story but for now I will certainly pick up the authors other books as well.
William Breckenridge
Good read.

Good story line that moves along well. Author does a good job of keeping to facts of history. Plenty of excitement to keep you interested until the end.
†Ðawn†  has reading burn-out.
++Spoilers++

This is the conclusion of the first book, and you must read that first. This is not a stand alone

(See my review for Altdorf (book 1) https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)

The writing is pretty good, but still lacked something emotionally. I believe it is his characters. They were well defined, but lacked depth. I also think this author tried to accomplish something epic in a mere 2 books. This could have been a superior work if he spent the time to add more details, especially wit
Catherine Nobles
Having read both Altdorf and Morgarten, I concluded that fhe author is an excellent storyteller and his research exquisite. There is so much that could be said about these books, like details of the stories and characters, but I leave that to others. I loved reading the books

I appreciate historical novels featuring locales and eras about which little has been written. I could be wrong, but I am not aware of other novels which enlighten readers about Switzerland's struggles to keep it's independe
Cheryl M-M
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again Swift has delivered a great reading experience. This sequel to ALTDORF (The Forest Knights} picks up where we left the main characters at the end of book one.
Set in medieval times with a great balance between fiction and historical fact, this book certainly doesn't disappoint when it comes to keeping the reader interested and involved in the story.
It was intrigueing to see the way the romantic triangle evolved, only to come to sudden halt, due to certain visions and misinterpreted dre
Jelios Ataliakrouso
Outnumbered seven-to-one by Leopold's the battle-hardened Habsburg army and the elite horseback force(forgot the name) Our own battlehardend holy land warrior/sailor/healer is dressed for war, despite his initial opposition to the rebellion against Habsburg.
The romance, like the book before is very childish, but the scenarios of this godlike Tom, makes some serious inhuman odds.
The fighting despite inhumanly possible was fun, and the ending answers some questions regarding Tom, and also props
Johan
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second book in Swift's 'The Forest Knights' series. Following on from 'Altdorf', Swift engagingly tells the story of how the Swiss farmers and townsmen of Uri, Schwyz and Unterwalden - without the help of Zurich, Basel and Lucerne - faced the military might of the House of Habsburg.
An entertaining, and educational, David versus Goliath tale, with a dash of ancient spirituality thrown in for added zest.
Really enjoyed it.
KateMarieTM
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the first in this set, I would rate four and a half. I realize with historical fiction regarding a singular event, there is a limit to how far such a story may continue. Morgarten is a well written novel interweaving an excellent cast of very likeable...well some not so much... characters in and around the Battle of Morgarten. I found I would be happy to read more about them, even if only in a totally fictitious tale.
Matt schmm
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent story I'm dying for more

I hold these two books of the forest knights up at the top of my list with the oathsworn, Robert low. And saxon tales bernard Cornwell. I love the backstory of the characters and the memorys of Thomas. I couldn't stop reading this . Can't wait for the prequels an hope for sequels. Although it is completely original and different I would compare it to braveheart if I was to put it in a category or robin hood.
Michael
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

I downloaded the first book in this series because it was free and quickly purchased Morgarten as soon as I finished. The author created believable fleshed out characters. Pair that with a great story and you have a series that I look forward to visiting again in the future.
Erik Orrantia
Apr 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I did enjoy this story and I needed to get closure on Part I, I didn't find the writing to be as sublime. It wasn't the same transport to the past as the first. I don't think the editing was as good, either. A definite downgrade from the first, but a worthwhile read nonetheless.
Brian Turner
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Follows straight on from the events in Altdorf.
After capturing the fortress at Habsburg, Noll & Thomas have to form the people into a fighting force
to hold on to it.

Well written characters, and good battle scenes that keep you turning the page to see what will happen.
Jerry Mercer
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding Story

This continuing story from book one holds the reader's attention with action and a good plot. The dialogue, settings, and descriptions are well-written. It fills in a period that is of interest to many readers.
Don Fisher
Jul 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally, an ending!!

I was somewhat disappointed with the endings of the first two books but this one finally brought it to an end. I found the history and the story blended well. It was enjoyable reading.
Hate2beLate
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own-this-one
Yup, the second book is just as wonderful as the first. So worth the time. I read it in a day. I just couldn't help myself. Well done J.K., well done.
Jun 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the sequel a little more than the first book, it was well written with a good pace, a great battle scene at the end and a thoughtful ending.
Danielle Hoffman
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book flowed much better than the first. It is just too bad that you have to get through the first book in order to appreciate the gem that is the second! :)
Maxan Russell
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Page Turner!!!

A brilliant sequel to Book 1. All of the loose ends were tied up really well. A super great read!!!
brandon shafer
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another winner

Well written, quickly becoming my favorite author. Hurry up with more. I'm out of words so I'll type gibberish thanks
Sally
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thomas Swyzer and Noll build an Army of peasants to defend their lands against the Germans of the Holy Roman Empire. Circa 1300s.
robert p robinson
Paul Shane Comerford
Jun 29, 2016
Philip Haydon
Sep 01, 2016
  • A Knight To Desire (The Brotherhood of the Scottish Templars, #3)
  • Defiant Passion
  • Reclaimed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #4-6) (The MacKays, #1-3)
  • Highland Seer (Highland Talents, #2)
  • Heart's Ransom (Heart and Soul #1)
  • Eden-South (Eden, #3)
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
  • Heart of the Dove (Dragon Chalice, #3)
  • A Knight's Reward (Knight's, #2)
  • The Pagan's Prize (Captive Brides #3)
  • A Spell Cast Volume One (Seven Spell stories, #1)
  • Beneath A Highland Moon (The Highland Moon #1)
  • Devil Black
  • Blood and Treasure (Romancing the Pirate, #1)
  • The Crimson Castle
**Join the mailing list and be the first to know when J. K. publishes something new! http://eepurl.com/hT8zU

J. K. Swift lives in a log house well off the beaten path in central B.C., Canada. He is the author of "The Forest Knights" novels, which are set in medieval Switzerland. He has worked as a school teacher, jailhouse guard, Japanese translator, log peeler, accountant, martial arts instructor,
More about J.K. Swift...

The Forest Knights (2 books)
  • Altdorf (The Forest Knights, #1)