Start by marking “A Lady of His Own” as Want to Read:
A Lady of His Own

A Lady of His Own

(Bastion Club #3)

In A Lady of His Own, the seven members of the Bastion Club have served loyally in the perilous service of the Crown. Now they've banded together to support one another through their most dangerous mission of all: getting married.

When Charles St. Austell returns home to claim his title as earl, and to settle quickly on a suitable wife as well, he discovers that experience
Published January 2nd 2013 by Avon (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Lady of His Own, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lady of His Own

Sammy Loves Books
3 "Slow Burn" stars

Charles St. Austell, Earl of Lostwithiel returns home and finds himself face to face with his first love, Lady Penny.

Lady Penny is 29 years old and has embraced spinsterhood. She gave her virginity to the only man she ever loved at the age of 16. He was 20 years old, naive, and about to leave to join the war. 13 years later, she is face to face with her only love. He's back from the war and is on a mission to uncover a French spy.

Another enjoyable read, but not all consuming.
Jessica Kayuha
Wow, I was quite shocked to discover that the author finally chose to write a book where the woman wasn't a spinster virgin. Just a spinster. Can't have it all, I guess.

I am increasingly finding myself wanting to go through these books with a red pen and edit out half of the words. I thought maybe it was my imagination, but I started to really pay attention, and the author repeatedly repeats herself three times within a sentence.

I picture her with her thesaurus program open, she picks a word or
Helio
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a nice mystery piece set in 1816, where I could skip over the sex scenes. I liked how they tried to solve a number of puzzles including the murders and also if the male protaganist would figure out what the female lead was looking for. The resolution on what was going on with the pillboxes was a bit wimpish. There are some other aspects that were unsatisfactory (or I simply missed some crucial bit of information) but discussing them would amount to spoilers. Also the year 1816 was the Y ...more
lisa
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carolyn
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Plot with gratuitous sex.

Good Plot with gratuitous sex.

While I realize these books have to have sex to sell, and god knows I. am not a prude, in this story the steamy sex gets in the way of a good story. Page after page after page, then a few pages of story, then they are at it again. Luckily I can skim quickly to get back to the story, but really...Anyway, I enjoyed the plot, and would have given the book a 5 star had I not been bored by all the gratuitous sex. I probably will not bother t
Chitra *CJ*
"A Lady of His Own" is the story of Charles and Penny.
Basically a second chance romance with a couple who drifted apart after an amorous consummation 13 years ago- filled with murder, mystery, and rekindling of sparks.
I felt this one stretched a tad too long, the suspense was below average and the characters not overtly likable.
As usual good lovemaking scenes, but I struggled with this one..and really hoped at times the couple communicated more in the past so this book could be avoided.
Safe with
Elaine
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book really annoys me. I think Laurens is a hit or miss for me. This one has some intrigue going on but we can't get to it for the page after page of making out and almost sex. And really the sex is just not that good. Ms Laurens, give up the sex and get on with the story!

I find myself just wanting to give up or skim through it!

I finally finished this! Sorry, I can't recommend this one!
Denae
Yes, Stephanie Laurens, we get it. The people in your book have lots of sex, with varying degrees of anatomical unlikelihood and violation of basic physics. But must there really be so many long and repetitive descriptions? Your plots are actually somewhat interesting. I know it's a romance, but bloody hell, woman. It's ridiculous.
LaFleurBleue
May 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-histo, e-book
I really liked this book much better than the previous in the series.
The spying investigation was surprisingly different and took a divergent path from the previous, which I liked.
I especially liked both main characters and the way they tread around the other, mostly trusting him/her though not with their inner feelings or thoughts and finally learning to put their past aside. The heroine was older than usual at 29, definitely not a meek miss, but never stupid or too impulsive. She was a perfect
jenjn79
Kate
I think I might be giving up on this series? The books just drag on much longer than they need to which means the plot becomes monotonous. Also, I was annoyed by Penny's insistence that she get to go everywhere and do everything Charles got to do. A nice idea in theory, but he is a trained soldier and spy and a huge dude on top of that...perhaps being an equal means recognizing that each of you has their strengths? I don't know. It's too bad, because I was looking forward to eventually getting t ...more
Helene Harrison
Review - This was my favourite Bastion Club novel so far. I also really liked how the storyline continued from the last novel. Sometimes it just seems as if too much happens over too short space of time, but this one didn't feel like that. I also loved how quickly the characters settled into the relationship so it allowed the mystery element of the story to flow more freely. It worked really well. I really loved Charles St Austell and Penelope Selbourne; it seemed as if they belonged together, w ...more
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Charles and Penny have known each other since childhood, were close to each other's families, and were one time lovers. She's loved him for 13 years since before he left for the military and now with him back home as the earl and trying to uncover a mystery of a french spy in the area, they are spending lots of time together and are getting closer and closer. Murders happen, the culprit is unveiled and stopped, family pasts are cleared up, both find and admit to love this time, and they both inc ...more
Lori McD
3.5-4 stars
(Library ebook)

What makes this book different from the others in this series is Penny and Charles. In this case, they're childhood friends and sweethearts. When she was 16 and he 20, she was in love with him and deliberately seduced him, leading to a tryst in the hay. But that tryst didn't end well for either - Penny, because apparently Charles was a bit rough and losing her maidenhead very painful; Charles, because after the event, Penny was convinced he didn't love her and never cou
LailaBC
This is the third installment of the Bastion Club series. This time it follows the story of Charles St. Austell, Earl of Lostwithiel who returned to his home town in Cornwall to escape the tedious atmosphere of London and his gaggles of female relatives who were too enthusiastic in helping him look for a suitable bride for him. So there in his own home the Abbey Hall he contemplated what qualities he wanted in his future wife.

~ He wasn't going back to society until he had a firm and definite vis
Joyce
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
I absolutely love Stephanie Lauren's Bastion Club series. This book features Charles St Austell and Lady Penelope Selborne. Both characters were very likeable. I would like to have seen more of the other members of the Bastion Club. While this book is part of the Bastion Club series, it can be read as a stand-alone.
Sheila Melo
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Addition to Bastion Club Series

A LADY OF HIS OWN is the third novel in the Bastion Club series about men who operated as spies during the war and have returned to England to seek brides. The Bastion Club is their refuge from the matchmakers of the ton. A LADY OF HIS OWN is about Charles St. Austell, Earl of Lostwithiel. He returns home and encounters is one-time love, Penny Selborne. Charles realizes that Penny would make the perfect wife if he could convince her.

I really liked Charles and
Wendy Tavenner
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished the 3rd book in the series and loved it!!! It was hard to put down just to go to sleep!!! Just love her writings!!! In this installment you have 2 previous lovers Charles and Penny who have been apart for 13 years. Charles was a spy living in France for most of the time while Penny was home turning down offers after offers. With her father and brother now deceased she is investigating and following her distant cousin Nicholas. She thinks her family was involved with some kind of tr ...more
Kay Bolton
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star
Review taken from my Blog Post #144 in August 2011, after borrowing the book from the local library:

After years as a spy in France Charles St Austell, Earl of Lostwithiel, returns to London and launches himself on to the marriage mart .... however he is quickly disillusioned by the sweet young misses and their mamas, and hies back off to Cornwall to work on a case for Dalziel.

Before he went into the army he had had spent an unforgettable afternoon with his childhood friend, Lady Penelope Selbour
Bronwyn Rykiert
The foremost reason I like this Bastion Club series is that the women are not the "teach me" types of other Laurens' novels. The Bastion Club women are assertive, intelligent women with a great deal of self-determination and lives of their own. No wonder they appeal to the Bastion Club men!

I like Penny because she is tall, resolute, and wants equal participation in her relationships. Charles is confident, secure, and wants a partner. Perfect match! Their chemistry is obvious from the start, and
Christine
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Retreating to his country estate to investigate a possible threat to her majesty, Charles St. Austell, Earl of Lostwithiel, stumbles across his childhood friend, and onetime lover, Lady Penelope Selborne. Penny is somehow involved in the nefarious plot and Charles is determined to learn her role and reconnect with her. Penny isn't sure what to think of this older Charles and what follows is a decent tale of spying and loving.

This book focused more on the mystery than the romance and it was a ni
Jean
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of the Bastion's Club Series so far although I'm reading them completely out of order.

What I like about this novel is that it is well written. The intrigue, the romance and character development is woven together nicely, seamlessly. While the female character is still stubborn and overly so at times, Penelope is not bratty but generally down to earth for the most part. Charles as is well balanced as well. He is a nice change from the others who just want to avoid society all
April
What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

I adore this whole series and can not wait to see each man get his lady. It is a bit formula with the alpha male who is often chased finding a lady he wants and being forced to pursue her. But formula works that why we love it!

Each book has an add but of intrigue that draws you in. And Stephanie Laurens knows how to deliver the steam!!

I am currently on a Regency k
Diana
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snigdha Prakash
It took me 2 weeks to finish this book.
Two entire weeks.
It never took me so long even in the 4th grade.
Granted that I was a little busy in between but that never stopped me before.
The plot had promise but it could not execute it well at all.
I love second chance romances and I wanted to love this one so much.
It started out great but I lost interest entirely somewhere down the line and it made me want to abandon the book.
It could have been much better because the author has so much more in her tha
Jan
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: keeper
Returning home after working undercover in France for more than 13 years, Charles St. Austell, Earl of Lostwithiel, is tired of subterfuge and superficiality. Now earl after the death of his father and two older brothers, he retreats from London, the season, and the marriage mart to return to the Abbey, his ancestral home. Dalziel, mysterious man of intrigue and the Foreign Office, has asked him to confirm rumors of someone in Cornwall trading secrets with the French.

After midnight, his first ni
Susan Ross
I find Stephanie Laurens hit and miss. I love some of her books and others just drag-like this one. I ended up skimming most of it because of the constant sex. I like sex scenes but, OMG, enough is enough already. And then there's the internal dialogues that go on and on and on about does he/she love me, etc. etc. and a misunderstanding from years ago that is never really explained.

And then, when Charles finally asks Penolope to marry her, she won't answer because she's not sure of his motivati
Kayla Holthe
I tend to think her books are similar to Amanda Quick, but Stephanie’s so dang wordy. It drives me nuts and gets super boring. I had to take a break and read a few books in between because it was getting so tedious. She could take all that extra flowery crap out, cut the book down by a quarter then we’ll be talking.
Kem
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great plot, great characters, perfect closure. I like the Bastion guys a lot. They all need strong women by their sides and that's what they are getting. The paths they take are exciting and dangerous.
Dawn Chandler
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always Stephanie Lauren's was great.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• My Scandalous Bride
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • The Devilish Pleasures of a Duke (Boscastle, #6)
  • One Night of Sin (Knight Miscellany, #6)
  • Let It Be Love (Effingtons, #11)
  • No Man's Mistress (Mistress Trilogy #2)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie

Bastion Club (8 books)
  • The Lady Chosen (Bastion Club, #1)
  • A Gentleman's Honor (Bastion Club, #2)
  • A Fine Passion (Bastion Club, #4)
  • To Distraction (Bastion Club, #5)
  • Beyond Seduction (Bastion Club, #6)
  • The Edge of Desire (Bastion Club, #7)
  • Mastered By Love (Bastion Club, #8)