Start by marking “Dark Child (the Awakening): Episode 1 (Dark Child, #1.1)” as Want to Read:
Dark Child (the Awakening): Episode 1 (Dark Child, #1.1)

Dark Child (the Awakening): Episode 1

(Dark Child #1.1)

Kat can run a marathon without breaking a sweat. Catch anything you throw at her. Differentiate blood types by smell alone. And she’s spent years hiding the fact. But secrets from the past have a way of slipping out when least expected … and a simple blood test is enough to turn her quiet life in the shadow of the Appalachian Mountains upside down forever …

Path
Published February 1st 2013 by Momentum

Jenny Schwartz
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued that this was a book to be published in parts. However ... now that I've read the first part I think that was the wrong choice. This is a book that demands devouring all at once. It had elements of Tara Moss's "Blood Countess" style. Very readable.

Episode 1 sets up lots of possibilities. In fact, so many possibilities that it's only Kat's strong and clearly developed character that keeps the story from running in all directions. But it does keep it focussed and moving
Trina
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
*I received a copy of this book from the Author in exchange for an honest review*

Episode 1 introduces us to Kat a 24 year old Pathology Technician. Kat hasn't been feeling herself recently, when she faints in work she decides to have her bloods taken so she can check her own blood sample for anaemia. However her results have many abnormalities and when her boss becomes interested she hides the fact that the unlabelled sample is her own. Her boss remembers reading an article about blo
May 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013, freebies
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk.)
24-year-old pathology technician Kat thinks she’s maybe anaemic when she faints at work, but when she looks more closely at a sample of her own blood, she realises that there’s something more than anaemia going on.

When her boss sees the blood samples she’s working on, things get out of hand, and before she knows it, she’s being offered a job in New York.
Kat doesn’t know why she’s different though, and having never known her
Janis Rocha
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book as a read for review. Episode one gives us an introduction into Kat's life. She is a 24 year old pathology technician. While at work Kat faints and thinks she may be anemic so she gets a sample of her own blood to check out. We learn that there is something very different about her blood. While testing her blood her boss walks in and notices the abnormal sample that Kat thankfully did not label as her own. Through this event her boss remembers a research that was v ...more
Sara.potter
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I LOVED THIS FIRST EPISODE!! It is pretty cool and the directions it could go are endless. I was a bit disappointed to find that the series came in episodes like I love the story it's just there has to be breaks in between reading the story and this has the potential to be a book that you could not put down and it can't be like that since its in episodes
Gillian Murrell
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The way this book has been written I find I have to buy the next book as the story has only just begun. Very sneaky of the author to end the book just when the action starts. I need to know what happened to Kat why is she different and where is her father.
Pol
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
have not read a book like dark child before i have enjoyed it and want to read book 2 now
Annabelle Heath
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The first part is mostly dedicated to the establishment of the main character and the world. There are some tantalising suggestions of a world beyond the ordinary, and plenty of foreshadowing for future events, but as with all 'establishing' sections of books, things are a little slow, and the cliffhanger at the end wouldn't necessarily be enough to have you hanging on for the next instalment. It's not a fault of the writing, which is good, or even the structure - everything is necessary, it's j ...more
Olivia Gavilan
Note: I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Rating: 3/5 stars
Series status: First of five episodes forming a stand-alone novel
Review:
Characters: 3/5 – the characters were average; none fell completely flat but likewise none really stood out as unique or interesting. Mediocre but not bad.
Premise: 4/5 – an interesting take on vampires. Not extremely original but neither overly cliché, standard for a paranormal work dealing with mythological creatures. Kept a sufficient amount of original mythol/>Review:/>
Tami
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in return for an honest review as part of the Read for Review program run by the Never to old for Y.A Goodreads Group.

This first instalment in the episodic based tale The Dark Child by Adina West is a good one. It introduces us to Kat Chanter, a pathology technician, who has always been a little bit different. Drawn to the academic realm at school primarily from self preservation (her physical abilities were well beyond the norm of her class mates)
Sherry
This review and others can be found on my blog, She Has A Knack For It

I received a copy of this book for free in return for my honest review, through the Never Too Old For Y.A. Books Group on Goodreads. However, I received a copy of the book directly from the author's publisher.

In this novella or episode you are introduced to Kat. She lives in South Charleston and works as a pathologist. She hasn't been feeling well lately, so she sneaks a peak at her own blood-work. What she finds isn't normal,
Sarez Tomoan
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This book to me felt like it was bare bones of a story with a lot of words thrown in for good measure. Not that it was exactly bad, it just didn't give me much incentive to continue reading at the start. I didn't feel that I really got to know kat - the main character in this book and I'm not really a fan of hers. Other characters were thrown in without as second thoughts rather than secondary and supporting characters. It was lacking in its flow. There was something that I cant put my finger on ...more
Sasha Hibbs
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
* I received this novel in exchange for an honest review *

4 solid stars to Dark Child!

First let me begin by saying that the cover for Dark Child is absolutely haunting, spine-chillingly beautiful! Kudos to the cover artist/s.

Secondly, what a pleasant surprise for me, while reading, to discover the location for Dark Child is set pretty much in my backyard. Having been a native of West Virginia my entire life, I know the geography like the back of my hand. Charleston is actually abou
Lady
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This serial book must be read in order. This is the first episode.

Kat has always known she was different. Different from her half brothers... Different from her mother... And different from anyone she has ever met. Maybe she is like her mysterious father. She still feels the guilt of his leaving even though he had no cause to even know she existed. The only bright spot in her life is the wolf that befriended her ages ago (she tells herself he is a pet... Some domestic wolfish breed..
Samantha Julmisse
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is not the kind of book that I would normally find myself reading, though I must be honest and tell how it lured me in. Adina did a good job of setting up a plot, though I felt there should have been more of a character development. What I enjoyed about this book was the fact that there really was no set path the book could have taken. You would think it was one thing and then Bam! You were taken down another path you didn't even consider. In this book you may feel like not a lot is going o ...more
Wendy DM
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. What I loved about this book was that I did not have to stop and re read to understand the setting and characters. Many book have too much of this detail and being a busy mom, teacher and reader i honestly do not have the time to re read a chapter or section to truly understand the deep details. Another thing i love about this book is that it is split into episodes and the book is not so long too. She also uses engaging vocabulary that i can grasp and learn from and apply it to m ...more
Purpinkrose
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read4review
I received this book for an honest review.

In this part of the story we meet Kat, who works in a laboratory. Kat starts to notice some strange things happening to her, she starts feeling sick and goes off her food, she heals really quick, so she does a blood test on her self, and notices some weird goings on with her blood.

I wasn't sure about this when I read the synopsis, and wasn't sure about the cover. But I was wrong about both. I am intrigued by the characters, kat what is her s
Trinity
Jun 17, 2013 rated it liked it
I have to give this book a three because, even though I am loving it so far, it cuts off just as the action starts!!

Adina, Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for review! I have already started Episode 2!

I am in love with the background into Kat's life this part of the book offers! This seems like a great beginning to a great story. However, if I would have seen the three books separately, as previously offered and paid for them, I woul
Venetia Green
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some very effective writing here. I particularly enjoyed the intimate description of the Charleston to Appalachian Mountains route. I felt as if I was in the car with the heroine, and the surprise she inflicts upon herself at the end of that journey is a great touch!
I wasn't so keen on the paranormal character, Amarok, and his setting. It seemed a bit cliched in comparison to the fresh and engaging presentation of the workaday heroine.
Warning: Dark Child: Episode One is the first installm
OutlawPoet
Jul 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Solid Popcorn Read

While you certainly can't take it too seriously, Dark Child is an enjoyable paranormal read. It's fast paced and the story has some very exciting elements.

I didn't really understand how, given her history, Kat could be at all shocked that she was different, I enjoyed the discovery. From the point where she tested her blood, I was invested. Though my suspicions as to her origins proved largely correct, I still enjoyed the way the author brought those e
Christina
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christina by: Never Too Old For Y.A. Books Group
Shelves: nook, read4review
I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review. I found myself easily drawn into the story especially, at the end of this episode. The episode opens with the main character Kat fainting for unknown reasons. As the episode develops, the reader is left with a mix of questions and answers that will have you wanting more. I agree with some of the other reviewers that I would rather have a novel than episodes because I felt like I was just starting to get lost in the story when the fi ...more
Bianca
Apr 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hmmm

ok so I'm not quite sure how I feel about this book. it started out good but then it got lost along the way. I kept going hoping to figure something's out but then right in the middle of a conversation. I turn the page and it's about the author. I'm all for cliff hangers but there has to be lead up this was just bam slap you in the face done. I am torn as I want to read the next book to see what happens but at the same time I'm not sure I can handle the lack of feeling and another sudde
Belinda King
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I recieved this book free in exchange for an honest and fair review.

The story started out a bit slow for me. I was wondering where it was going to go. The language was well written and descriptive enough. I think the story took a bit long to get going is all. At the end of this book we are left wondering why there is a group of people supposedly watching over Kat, and how did that come about?
These are just some of my thoughts after reading episode 1.

I did enjoy read
Alex Owens
Jun 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I started reading this, then switched over to the omnibus edition once I finished the first Episode. This episode has some interesting bits, and a lot of foreshadowing, but I didn't really get sucked into the story until the very end.

Now, I can say that from the end of this episode, and on into the next episodes, things really get good. There is all sorts of fantasy/ paranormal goodness going on, and I can't wait to see where the rest of the story takes me!
Jane Tara
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was really enjoying this, so when it ended I moved straight into episode 2. I've got the Omnibus edition now, to finish the series. So far, the series is great. Really well paced, great plot with some interesting and unusual choices. I'll write more once I've finished the series, but so far I'm loving it.
Dina Roberts
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm so tired of supernatural romance, but decided to be a glutton for punishment and read the first few pages of this novella.

I ended up reading the whole thing. It was much better than I expected.

The author seems quite intelligent, and I liked the medical aspect of the story.

I was also happy that none of the dialogue or descriptions annoyed me.

Ciara1973
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
This book was more tell than show. It annoyed me at first until I got use to it. The story was interesting, but it wasn't a full story. Sure it was for free, but you either write a full lenghth novel or a short story. Don't cut into parts and sell them separately. You're only annoying your fans.

I will be reading the rest of this series, but I hope her writing gets better. Show don't tell.
Kae Thomas Hawk
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this episode. It is as simple as that. But, the ending left me hanging. There was so much more I wanted to happen. I will be reading the rest of the episodes for sure. The difference between the two men that are drawn to Kat is very intriguing and I look forward to seeing the outcome.
Rachel Beaver
Mar 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
Fantastic start! Kept me interested the whole time - annoyed only the first 2 segments are available, will wait until June to read the entire story rather than piecemeal.
Mysterious, & has left me wanting more!
Wai Chim
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great start - love the suspense and the build up to what promises to be an intriguing cast of characters. Adina has done an amazing job to draw us into her world and her writing style is perfect for this exciting new medium - looking forward to episode 2.

• Soul Stealer (The Anomaly #3)
  • Magical Redemption
  • Nothing to Fear (Blackbridge, #1)
  • Secrets in Time
  • Hellcursed (The Shadowfae Chronicles, #0.5)
  • This Is Your Afterlife
  • Into the Dark, Vol. 1 (Into the Dark, #1)
  • The House on Burra Burra Lane (Swallows Fall #1)
  • Wild Encounter
  • Dead, Actually
  • Desolation
  • The Skeleton Song (The Hollows, #0.5)
  • Thief of Light  (The Four-Sided Pentacle, #2)
  • A Wizard for Christmas
  • Slimy Underbelly (Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I. #4)
  • Table For Eight
  • A Pretty Mess (Astonvale, #1)
  • Never Surrender
Adina West grew up on a remote property on Australia’s east coast, in country New South Wales. She spent most of her childhood curled up with a book, and her first teenage job was shelving books at the local library, where she was cautioned more than once for reading them instead of putting them away.
Her first stories were laboriously typed up with two fingers on her parents’ old typewriter.

Dark Child (2 books)
  • Dark Child (the Awakening): The Omnibus Edition (Dark Child, #1)
  • Dark Child (Covens Rising): Omnibus Edition (Dark Child #2)