Start by marking “Fear Week” as Want to Read:
Fear Week

Fear Week

Adrian Thorby is about to experience a week of embarrassing and comic incidents. But he's scared. It's 1962, the week of the Cuban missile crisis, and the world is threatened by nuclear war. He's a science-fiction fan who fears he will never live to see a futuristic world of high-technology, including space travel and robots, and will never have a girlfriend. He knows he h ...more
ebook
Published September 15th 2012 by Smashwords Edition

To ask other readers questions about Fear Week, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear Week

Heather Domin
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars — to be reviewed in the Historical Novel Review Online indie section. This isn't my usual type of story, but I'm glad I took a chance on it; I really, really liked this.
Trish at Between My Lines
Fear Week is a YA book that has a unique setting during the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962. It makes you think of how much the world has changed in the last 50 years but at the same time it makes you acknowledge how timeless teenage problems are.

My Recap :

Set over a single week, this book is Adrian’s thoughts and fears and daily life during the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962. He has all the normal worries and problems of a 14 year old boy however he also has to cope with the very real possibility of
Ana
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received this book for free from the author/publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

When it comes to historical fiction, I really like books that are set in periods that other books don’t really cover. This is the first time I’ve read about a book set during this time, and it was really interesting because I honestly don’t know a lot about the Cuban missile crisis, or about the United Kingdom in the 60s. Or about the 6
Kayleigh Meade
Aug 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, ya-books
I was sent Fear Week by Andrew McBurnie, the author, in exchange for an honest review. The plot appealed to me as I'd never heard of, let alone read anything about the Cuban missile crisis, and I wanted a chance to learn about that and the Cold War.

The story centres around Adrian Thorby and the events that happen to him over the week of the Cuban missile crisis. His age is never mentioned, but I'd put it at around 13. The tension between America and Russia is affecting Hull in 1962, but those ar
Jo Barton
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is an interesting and well written coming of age story. Adrian Thorby is a typical teenager; he has his head in Science fiction stories, but at the same time fantasises about the pretty girl he sees riding her bike to and from school. But this is 1962, and the Cuban missile crisis is about to rock the world, and suddenly the fear of a nuclear event is very real. This story narrated throughout the eponymous ‘fear week’ echoes the fears of many people who thought that the world was about to e ...more
Nicki Markus
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fear Week is an enjoyable read that for me really captured a moment in time in the lead character's life. Adrian's 'voice' feels very natural and realistic and avoids most pitfalls that creep in when an adult writes a teenage protagonist. This is a piece about character rather than plot and as such it works very well.

The prose flows nicely throughout the book and the dialogue is believable and well considered.

This book is well worth a read.

I received this book as a free e-book review copy from
Wanda
Christina West
marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
Andrew McBurnie
Sep 04, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition