Start by marking “The Hobbit, Part One” as Want to Read:
The Hobbit, Part One

The Hobbit, Part One

(The Hobbit #1 of 2)

Smaug certainly looked fast asleep, when Bilbo peeped once more from the entrance. He was just about to step out onto the floor when he caught a sudden thin ray of red from under the drooping lid of Smaug's left eye. He was only pretending to be sleep! He was watching the tunnel entrance!

Whisked from his comfortable hobbit-hole by Gandalf the wizard and a band of dwarves,
Published August 30th 2012 by HarperCollins Children's Books (first published September 21st 1937)

Start your review of The Hobbit, Part One
Aishu Rehman
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great book for anyone of any age. However, more importantly the message of being willing to face your fears really hits home. I LOVED IT!
Rocco Zeno
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
***The Hobbit is a fantasy novel written by J.R.R. Tolkien, the same author responsible for the well known 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy. The story takes place in an alternate world of magic and dragons referred to as 'Middle Earth'. Our Main protagonist is a hobbit named Bilbo Baggins who loves nothing more than peace and quiet, that is unexpectedly drug on an adventure by a wizard named Gandalf with a group of dwarves. The story takes place on this adventure, and the hardships the group enduress ...more
Alicia
My first audiobook! The Hobbit is one of my all time favourite books, and I really enjoyed listening to it. The narrator did a fantastic job!
Alexandra Lydia
Aug 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
This may be sacraligeous, but I must say: this book is indulgent in the worst ways. Never have I ever wanted to read an eight pages long description of every bush along a path, and yet that is exactly what Tolkein delivered. This book could be summarized swiftly, and yet it remains a long, painful tale of a hobbit on an adventure. While fantasy, it forces you to experience Bilbo's tale on EXACTLY Tolkein's terms, rather than let you colour in moments with your own imagaination, thus drawing you ...more
Robert Parsons
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I watched the film first. I thought the film was long but there is so much more in the book.
I had to take notes so I didn't lose where I was. A great book though and I love Lord of The Rings
Hadar
I know people love "the Hobbit", but I couldn't finish the book. I'm not a big fan of fantasy or Sci-Fi books - I prefer watch those stuff as a movie rather than read them. I'll probably watch the trilogy sometime, when I'm in the mood for that. Glad I gave it a chance though, it's good to break your limits, try something new, but I don't believe in reading something just bc everybody else read it and loved it. Every person is different and love other things than his companions and friends, and ...more
Murtaza Kuwarawala
Apr 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Finally, after a long time started with Hobbit. The first part of the story deals with how a hobbit named Bilbo befriends certain dwarves and starts on an adventure of a lifetime. The second part takes on the new twists and turns which would ultimately lead the base for the book LOTR. Though a Children's book, this book hooks you unto it like a charm. Do not miss it if you can.
Millie Hodgson
May 27, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book was sooooooo old-fashioned so it got really boring
Emma Voelpel
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you heard a weird noise while reading this book, that was me chewing the bed out of sheer boredom, good book though
Cynthia Young
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the audio version
Jocelyn
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Isobelle Sevrance
Dec 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Tons of fun to read ace book👍
Nawid Adelyar
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
I picked this book up from a book store in Coventry and decided to give it a go as a way to keep myself entertained during busy exam season. I wanted to try my luck at fiction books and heard have heard that the books by Tolkien are great. Had I really enjoyed this book, I would have been prepared to read the rest of the Lord of The Rings books, but I am not so sure having finished The Hobbit and feeling dissatisfied.

The book started off nicely and I was engaged with most of the first half. Afte
Ethan Villanueva
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bilbo Baggins lives a quiet, peaceful life in his comfortable hole at Bag End. Bilbo lives in a hole because he is a hobbit one of a race of small, plump people about half the size of humans, with furry toes and a great love of good food and drink. Bilbo is quite content at Bag End, near the bustling hobbit village of Hobbiton, but one day his comfort is shattered by the arrival of the old wizard Gandalf, who persuades Bilbo to set out on an adventure with a group of thirteen militant dwarves. T ...more
Le Le
Mar 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I thought it was a really nice book. It all started with the wizard Gandalf bringing some dwarves to the hobbit Bilbo Baggins' doorstep. They wind up in an adventure for gold, something Bilbo has never done once in his sheltered life. During their journey, some of the dangers they encounter are trolls and goblins, but aided by Gandalf's friends and acquaintances like the eagles, they survive the journey. Now I'm still not sure what's going to happen next, I'm still not finished reading it.
Andrea Sirois
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was not much of a fantasy reader (let me say again, WAS not) and I was recommended this book.
It is definitely a book a child could read, I got it done pretty quickly. Not only because of how cute/interesting the story is, but I could just not put it down! Everytime I would stop reading it for the day, I'd look forward to the next because you never knew what was going to happen. The characters are perfect, the story line flows- it is just a genuinely good book for anyone to read.
Tanvi
Dec 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Does this really need a review?

The story is pretty enjoyable & easy to follow through & ends right after they escape an elven King.
Unlike other Tolkien, it is less descriptive in comparison & probably will be really enjoyed by children & adults alike. The language is also simple, yet creates these beautiful worlds.

Looking forward to reading part 2.
Lily McLeod
Apr 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
This is really the most boring book I’ve ever read.
Normally I love fantasy but I hated this book so much, even though I was actually kinda excited to read it because it sounded interesting but I was disappointed with the first chapter, but I kept reading hoping it would get better but it didn’t
Abi Collins
Apr 09, 2020 rated it liked it
Kinda disappointed, ngl. I expected great things from this book, yet it wasn’t that entertaining. It was an effort to finish tbh and I got very bored.
Liawèn
Love the story, love the voice but I can’t help it, the movie has worked its way into my heart and mind...I can only see Martin Freeman, Richard Armitage and Ian McKellen before my eyes when I listen to the Hobbit. It took some time getting used to different voices but thy are fitting. I especially liked the Riddles in the dark and the company’s time at Beorn’s. Now on to the last adventures!
Jay.B
Nov 04, 2019 is currently reading it
"'You are come to the very edge of the Wild, as some of you may know. Hidden somewhere ahead of us is the fair valley of Rivendell where Elrond lives in the Last Homely House. I sent a message from my friends, and we are expected.'" (Tolkien 46).

This is significant because the elves were very helpful to Bilbo and saw the leader of the group of elves, Elrond, he was a true leader, we were as strong as a warrior and as wise as a wizard. after that, Bilbao got he help from Elrond, he was able to t
Ciana Armstrong
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It is a good story and they use good words. I think that the last bit of the book was good because I think it would make people want to read part 2. Overall I really like this book and would recommend it to some people.
Rutika Yeolekar
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful read. The Hobbit is imaginative and comforting. Each character is written so well that you start seeing the world through Bilbo's lens. Honestly, this is my favorite book of 2020. I almost wish I had read it a long time ago.
Nico
Dec 16, 2019 added it
JosiePosy3
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I like The Hobbit. It was a fun book. I liked the dwarfs and the wizards. I liked the part with the dragon because it had lots of jewels on it.
Sharon
Mar 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have put off reading this book for years due to the movies and the popularity of them. I wish I had read this book much sooner. Now I have to read the 3 Lord of the Ring Books.
Tyler Benson
It was fantastic
Alaura
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book made my heart happy! Such a beautiful adventure story. Super fun and easy to read. Love Love LOVE!
Eryn
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
love love! Whimsical adventure, beautiful language, and adored reading passages describing the elements of nature.
Mickela Davis
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very much loved this one. Much better than the movie.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
North Greenbush P...: Any Hobbit fans out there? 1 4 Mar 17, 2020 06:03AM
Elizabeth Terpening Review 2 3 10 Jan 27, 2020 07:34AM

• Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1)
  • Eragon (The Inheritance Cycle, #1)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • A Game of Thrones #1
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5, Part 1)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • Twilight (Twilight, #1)
  • Angels & Demons (Robert Langdon, #1)
  • The Great Gatsby
  • Twilight: The Complete Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, #1)
  • The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)
  • 1984
  • The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English

The Hobbit (2 books)