Jump to ratings and reviews

Super Center Savior

Using stories, personal examples, and cultural events, Noble helps Christians connect their mission and identity with creative analogies to Wal-Mart. He issues a thoughtful challenge for Christians to rethink, reinvest, and repent of selfishness and nudges the western consumer to commit to a faith-filled, dynamic, and influential lifestyle.

Super Center Savior shows what stores get right, what churches get wrong, and vice versa. It communicates how our world needs churches in which ministry happens 24/7 and the contagious joy that is revealed when Christians quit going to church and start being the church. When believers begin to live for Christ and others every day, and not just Sundays, our churches become as influential and important to our communities as Wal-Mart.

118 pages, Paperback

First published December 18, 2012

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jeff Noble

1 book52 followers
Jeff graduated from high school in 1986 from Pulaski Academy in Little Rock, Arkansas and attended Ouachita Baptist University. He graduated in 1990 with a degree in Communications.

During his stay in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, he and a friend started a graphic design business called AdVantage Advertising, using the experience they had gained from the excellent communications department at OBU. They designed logos, ads, and materials for restaurants, car dealerships and banks across the state and were even featured in a blurb in the AdWeek magazine.

After sensing a call to full-time ministry, Jeff went to Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in the fall of 1991 in Fort Worth, Texas. During that time, he served at First Baptist Church Garland as the young adult minister. Graduating in May 1995 with and M.Div, he moved to Monticello, Arkansas as Baptist Collegiate Ministry at the University of Arkansas at Monticello where he served for eight years.

Feeling guided to start a new church that would reach out to collegians and young adults, Jeff resigned from collegiate ministry and became the church planter of Journey Church in Monticello in the summer of 2003. He pastored there for six years.

Northstar Church of Blacksburg, Virginia called Jeff to be their pastor in May 2009 after the resignation of their founding pastor in 2008. With an emphasis on “Don’t go to church; Be the church,” Jeff has seen Northstar experience blessed growth and transformation in the New River Valley which has three large colleges, including Virginia Tech.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
2 (14%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews
Profile Image for Amy Lawson.
80 reviews20 followers
January 25, 2013
I know Jeff is a pastor, so initially I thought this book would be geared towards ministers, but really, this book is just as informative to anyone who has (or even wants) a relationship with Jesus. That's not to say that this book doesn't have lots to say to those to whom God has entrusted the day-to-day ministry of the local church. In fact, I was amazed at how well Jeff relayed his message to both those who serve the church as an occupational calling and those who may only be weekend attenders. It's hard to communicate effectively to multiple audiences, but Jeff has done that masterfully in this book.

This book uses a comparison to a retail giant that we all have to admit, whether we love or love to hate Walmart, knows a thing or two about reaching its target audience. Jeff ponders ways the church could use Walmart's philosophy to meet the needs of its target audience. And even gives some examples of how the church may be too much like Walmart.

I think what I love most about this book is its practical application supported by God's Word. But this isn't stuffy, over-your-head theology. Even if you've never met Jeff, if you read this book you would feel like you were sitting across a table from him at a Starbucks, talking about living life between Sundays in the places God put us to represent Him. I certainly didn't feel like Jeff was preaching at me, but in several chapters I identified ways that I'm missing out on living out my relationship with Jesus.

This would be a great book to read through with your spouse or another friend or in a small group setting. I highlighted lots of good stuff that I'd love to flesh out with some friends. Jeff even mentioned some other books that I now want to read to add even more to the discussion he initiated. I feel like Jeff started the conversation, but left plenty of room for us to add our voices. Kind of like a brainstorming session where the capital "C" Church gets together to talk about how we can better do little "c" church to make it better represent what Jesus had in mind when he entrusted it to His best friends. How have we followed in the disciples' footsteps and where have we gone off the trail? How do we tear down the walls of our church that keep us looking inward to make ourselves available to those who need what we have the most? I think Super Center Savior offers some great insight on how to begin answering those questions.
Profile Image for Maggie Mattmiller.
1,146 reviews18 followers
October 22, 2013
I LOVED this book! (Let me say my mandatory, I won this for free in a Goodreads giveaway... but still, I would have loved it even if I paid for it!)

I love the analogy of the Supercenters to church- it actually kept me really interested. Each chapter starts with a comparison (and also contrasting points) of how the church could be/should be/is but maybe shouldn't be- like church. As the chapter progresses, it is more preachy and full of Bible verses, but the chapters are quick enough that when my brain starts to feel full, I'm at a new chapter with the light hearted commentary to kick it off. I also love that I can hear the author's voice coming through: it felt like I was talking to a friend (or maybe listening to a FUNNY sermon), but not like I was just reading or studying a Bible on my own. It was very easy to keep going!

I read this in two sittings, but this would be a great Bible study book, as the chapters are quick and each would lend itself to its own discussion. Throughout the book, I kept thinking of people I wanted to share this analogy with or that point with. I definitely struggled with who to recommend the book to first.

Again, it had it's moments where it start to feel a little too preachy or deep (but if you choose to read that kind of book, you sign up for it!) But he also keeps it entertaining and light for the most part! I also love that he's almost apologetic at times as if he knows what some people might be thinking (for example, some people don't like Walmart, so may not like the idea of saying church should be more like Walmart!)

Check it out for yourself! Quick read, and a lot of fun but also valid points! It's definitely a new perspective on faith, church, and what the purpose of Christianity is!
Profile Image for Alaina Stanford.
Author 28 books490 followers
April 24, 2014
I really enjoyed this analogy of Walmart and the Christian way of life. The use of scripture compared to everyday life was thought provoking and inspiring. I write paranormal fantasy and SciFi so people are always surprised to discover I am a devout Christian. Keeping a daily mindset of being in church is key to reducing my stress and helping me overcome hurdles. Well written, well done. I'll look for more from this author.
2 reviews1 follower
February 5, 2013
A very readable thoughtful, engaging analogy of Walmart and the Christian lifestyle. The author emphasizes his points through use of scripture and everyday situations and challenges his readers to develop a mindset of "being the church" on a daily basis.
Profile Image for Chris.
11 reviews
July 8, 2014
Great book!!!
Would definitely recommend this book to all Christians as Jeff really allowed myself to open up and to ask some questions about my walk with Jesus and the Church that are definitely going to grow my relationship with God in the right direction!
Check out a more in depth review on my blog at www.cking1224.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Jeremy Woodall.
10 reviews
September 20, 2019
A very practical but challenging book on the church and our responsibility as the church. Jeff has a great way of mixing humor into the mix to help the reader digest the concepts of this read without feeling preached at.

I also have used this book in some of my discipling relationships. It is great for that as well.
Displaying 1 - 7 of 7 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.