Start by marking “Becoming Human (Exilon 5, #1)” as Want to Read:
Becoming Human (Exilon 5, #1)

Read Excerpt

Becoming Human (Exilon 5 #1)

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  1,698 Ratings  ·  224 Reviews
A VENDETTA. A DESIRE FOR FREEDOM. A SECRET THAT WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING.

In 2163, a polluted and overcrowded Earth forces humans to search for a new home. But the exoplanet they target, Exilon 5, is occupied.

Having already begun a massive relocation programme, the World Government on Earth sends Bill Taggart to monitor the threat level of the Indigenes, the alien race that
Published December 18th 2012 by CreateSpace (first published December 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Becoming Human, please sign up.

Matt
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine a world, 150 years from now, without wars, reigned by a single World Government, where global warming is a thing of the past and food comes from machines called replicators.
Nice, huh?

Unfortunately this world is inhabited by 20 billion people, the World Government is corrupt, sunlight hardly reaches the surface anymore making it cold as hell, and the air is only breathable through filter-masks filled with some gel.
Not so nice anymore.

Fortunately there is another planet just 2 weeks trave
Carol.
Free today on Amazon for kindle.
Dianne
In the future, through overuse, over abuse and over-population, Earth has become toxic to human life. Light years away, exoplanet Exilon 5 is discovered to be a plausible place to relocate humans to. Only problem? It’s already inhabited by another species. Solution? Force the indigenous population to die, or adapt to the changes necessary to support human life. Or, just maybe, they will learn to adapt and hide underground, seeking ways to learn about the invaders. Maybe they have grown smarter, ...more
G.G.
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to buy the book and give it a chance after reading the reviews (where it was sold). My EReader is full of free books from promotion but this one caught my attention. I hadn't read a sci-fi in a while so I thought, Why not?
Although a little bit hard to follow at times when the author moves from one character to another to introduce them I understood that at some point it would fit together. It was just hard to remember everything.
The author did an amazing job with the Indigene Stephen,
Curtis Macon
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story...but the writing/execution wasn't there for me. I'm interested enough to continue with the trilogy. I hope that now that one story is under her belt, Ms. Green will develop a bit more as a writer. I noticed that even as the 1st book progressed the writing got better. It was, however, rough for the 1st half of the book. There needed to be more character development and I felt as if I was missing background info on the story universe. There was a lack of description of setting ...more
This book has a lot of different character perspectives.

I have a general rule, that I will only allow tolerate this kind of thing from George R.R. Martin, because he gives me no choice, even if I skip all the chapters starting with Theon, to read all the chapters starting with Tyrion instead. Tangent = over.

So we have, Bill, Stephen, Jenny, Ben, some guy and his parents, a pilot, the guy that has a crush on the pilot, some evil Government/Corporate staff, so on, an so forth. I have just listed
Jenny Clark
Very interesting and quick paced. The POV switches did get slightly annoying at times, but there were not too many of them and they all came together except for the one with the air control guy, whose name I have forgotten after twenty minutes.
The second half was much better than the first. There are still quite a lot of loose ends, but there are two more books so we shall see how they tie up.
The corrupt government was nothing really new. It was almost another "Big Brother is watching" plot, but
E.K. Carmel
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I won a copy of Becoming Human by Eliza Green when the author guest posted on a blog I read. I had never heard of the author but liked her "voice" in the post and thought the book sounded interesting. It's the first of what I understand is a planned trilogy and I think it's very good for a first publishing effort. Ms. Green is an indie author and I was impressed by the level of professionalism here - the cover was beautiful, the copy editing was superb, and I only had a small quibble with the co ...more
Jill
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fiction
I've been on an urban fantasy kick for a long while now, and I found it refreshing to read something in my friendly old genre Sci-fi. In the story, the earth is dying, having been overrun and destroyed by humanity. The "world government" has terraformed a new planet and is shuttling people to it slowly.

This book follows several characters. It follows Bill, a high level government official who thinks the natives of the planet killed his wife. It follows a few natives, and a few characters back o
Eydís
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-review, sci-fi
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved it.

The story is written from several points of view, both on Earth and Exilon 5, and personally I loved these sneak peaks into a not too distant future; each character giving their unique flavour and adding to the big picture.

The characters were believable, each with their own distinct personality; driven by their goals for the future or demons of the past (or present).

It pleased me that even though halfway into the novel I
Jessica
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really good book. A great break from all the young adult novels that I have been reading lately. It was written well and the book kept me intrigued the whole time. I think because I have read George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series I was able to follow all the different point of views and characters a lot easier. All the characters added something different to the story and I loved how it was starting to all tie together towards the end. That was done well especially with the ...more
Brittany
Check out my blog to see Reviews of Books and Movies as well as Recipes and DIY projects

I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.

Becoming Human (the 1st book in the Exilon 5 Trilogy) is written by Eliza Green. Admittedly I was surprised that this was written by a woman, from the first 1/3 of the book, I had the feeling that it was written by a man. Considering that the story is told predominantly through the eyes of men, I must commend Eliza on capturing the essence of man
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}
Honestly, this is not a genre I usually read. No, correction. This is not a genre I usually enjoy. But I did! I enjoyed this book! Surprisingly so.

So, in this book the earth is dying. It's overrun and destroyed by humanity. The 'world government' has terraformed a new planet and is slowly bringing people to that planet. It has several POV's, both on earth and Exilon 5 (the new planet). And each character mattered and had their own voice!
We have Bill, a high level government official who doesn'
Krazykiwi
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Becoming Human: The Exilon 5 Trilogy, Book 1 Hard to review this book. I think my score would be more a 3.5, but I like to support indie authors, so an extra half.

There's a LOT of exposition. Too much, I think. There are a million POV characters, to the point I lost track of who was who several times. There are so many story threads it's hard to follow, and the entire first 2/3 of the book feels like world building, backstory and in some places, filler. And yet...The story is great, many of the
John Picha
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi
Insightful, and intriguing tour of the future

After poisoning the Earth, humanity packs up it's societal baggage and takes off for the stars. "Becoming Human" explores the middle history of humanity's future in a "grass is always greener in space" tale told from two planet's points of view. On Earth, characters go about their daily business while living in an ecological crisis. On Exilon 5, colonist of a New World Order attempt to make the environment more habitable for themselves, while forcing
Paddy O'callaghan
This novel cost me an entire day beacuse, like Magnus Magnusson, I started so I finished. I had no choice, I simply couldn't tear myself away. Terrific tome, brilliant book, spectacular story, call it what you will,I don't care, as long as you follow my advice, and buy it.

I suppose it smacks a little of legacy Star Trek, but is not in anyway derivative, and although I'd especially recommend the book to Trekkies/Trekkers, I see no reason that those who despise the franchise wouldn't love it as we
Mariam Kobras
Dec 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because of the twitter stir it was creating, and I have to say I'm not sorry I did! In fact I liked it so much that I bought the paper copy after first downloading the kindle version. In a way, the story reminded me a bit of Mary Doria Russell's "The Sparrow", which I also loved very much. Both books deal with misconceptions, the otherness of Alien societies, and how to deal with differences. Who is human – and who is MORE human?
I'm looking forward to the next installment!
Chanda Barrick
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. There was a major plot twist at the end that was a total surprise but explained Stephen's reaction to information he obtained earlier in the story. I would definitely like to know what happens next!

The only complaint I had about the story is the number of characters. While I understand the point in telling the story from the voice of various characters, I honestly had a hard time keeping up with who was who and who did what.

Overall though, I enjoyed reading this book!
Karen
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The premise and world-building of this book are very solid, and the characters compelling. I'd liken it to a sci-fi Game of Thrones--a futuristic world told from many different points of view. As a reader, I would have liked to see more of some characters (Stephen and Laura) and perhaps less of some others. But I think it offers a wonderful build-up to what comes next in the series, and I look forward to the next installment!
Nicky
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually hesitate to try new authors and instead stick with the ones I know but as this was offered to read and review (through read it and reap)and it sounded good I gave it a go.

I really enjoyed it! Great story, characters you really like and a good pace - no boring or dragged out chapters.

The only disappointment was that it ended! Can't wait to read the next one and would highly recommend this book. If you like futuristic sci-fi novels you will enjoy this one.
Vanessa
May 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Very intriguing plot but I found the story poorly developed and superficial, the characters shallow and dull. I was never invested in the story or the characters which is a shame because it's a really good sci-fi plot.
Peter
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
No spoilers here. I was a little thrown off during the character development as the story jumped around to different main characters and locations, but it came nicely together and I enjoyed the suspense and mystery of it all. It's hard to resist a good conspiracy.
Caitlin McColl
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. A lot! And I haven't read pure sci-fi in a long time, and so this was great. And i'm so glad the 2nd book was just released in December, because I can continue the story! If you're a sci-fi fan, I highly recommend this book! :)
Heather
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I was immediately invested and could not put the book down. I've been reading a lot of after Earth ends books lately and this was one of the more engaging ones.

I can't wait to read the next one!
Peg
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The abrupt ending was a bit jarring (yes, it's the first in a series, but still). I'm looking forward to the other books. It's an intriguing storyline.
Joanna Marie
won a copy of a book yey and i can't wait to read this.
June
This is an indie book published in the science fiction/dystopian genre. It is not quite the usual dystopian ya fare we have been treated recently. There are true scientific facts woven into the plot which makes the story plausible. In the far future, humans have managed to pollute the Earth to the point where life on Earth is fated for destruction. The only hope is space exploration which has found a suitable exo-planet called Exilon 5. The planet is Terra-formed but there appears to be an indig ...more
Jessica McDermitt
Intriguing storyline and professional, clean inside with no issues with the writing! But the ending, I felt, lacked tension...it started great and then kind of flatlined. :-( It seems to be a common problem...
Khristina
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow at first, but good!

It took me a while to get into the story, but once I did it got very interesting very quickly!
Lauren
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-blog
Some years ago humanity began settling a new planet so that they could leave the polluted shell that was Earth and once again feel the sun on their skin and breath without respirators. They terraformed their new home, built cities, and started shipping in colonists and animals. The planet is a perfect place for humanity to start again, or would be if not for one minor issue. The planet’s natives, the Indigenes, aren’t happy with their aggressive new neighbors and want their home back from the be ...more
  • Humanity's Last Chance (The Eden Project, #1)
  • Escapement (The Neumarian Chronicles, #1)
  • Girl Under Glass (Glass and Iron Series, #1)
  • Origins
  • The Lead Cloak (The Lattice Trilogy, #1)
  • The Sundered
  • The Ruins Of Mars (The Ruins of Mars, #1)
  • The Change (The Bachelor Battles, #1)
  • The Blemished (Blemished, #1)
  • Fallen
  • Xbestia: Book One Xenofreak Nation
  • Exodus (Exodus Trilogy, #1)
  • Mr. Ruins (Ruins War, #1)
  • Saving Mars (Saving Mars, #1)
  • Dark Waltz (Praestani, #1)
  • The Forever Gate Compendium Edition (The Forever Gate #1-5)
  • First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, #1)
  • i2
Eliza Green tried her hand at fashion designing, massage, painting, and even ghost hunting, before finding her love of writing. She often wonders if her desire to change the ending of a particular glittery vampire story steered her in that direction (it did). After earning her degree in marketing, Eliza went on to work in everything but marketing, but swears she uses it in everyday life, or so she ...more
More about Eliza Green...

Exilon 5 (3 books)
  • Altered Reality (Exilon 5,  #2)
  • Crimson Dawn (Exilon 5, #3)

“ESC had nothing to do with setting taxes or chasing down tax evaders—that was the World Government’s job.” 0 likes