Start by marking “Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)

Origins: The Fire

(MILA 2.0 0.5)

Heart-stopping and electric, MILA 2.0: Origins: The Fire contains a short prequel story and an excerpt to MILA 2.0, the first book in a riveting Bourne Identity–style trilogy by Debra Driza.

Mila can't remember anything before the fire that took her father's life. It's normal to have some memory loss after traumatic events, but Mila doesn't remember if she's ever learned to
Published January 8th 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Origins, please sign up.

Start your review of Origins: The Fire (MILA 2.0, #0.5)
Wendy Darling
Download this freebie short here: http://t.co/4ciPh7YR

3.5 stars This does exactly what these freebies are supposed to do: whet your appetite for the book. This one does so particularly well in setting up an immediate and exciting action sequence; showing the protagonist's character, smarts, and values; providing some context for her background and relationships; and finishing with a great (if you didn't already know the premise) surprise. It also showcases strong, descriptive writing.

My only
Kayleigh {K-Books}
Wow. I have to say for something so very short I am real impressed with it. This novella is only 15 pages long but it is so good and really sets the scene for the upcoming novel Mila 2.0
I personally cannot wait to read more after that short prequel novella. It did exactly what a short novella should do, it set the scene for the novel and really grabbed your attention and left you wanting more. I am so glad I have Mila 2.0 to start straight away. Cannot wait to find out what happens next!
Armina
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-reads
Actual rating 3.5 stars.

Strong, impressive writing. Too short. Excellent finish(great surprise if we didn't already know the premise)! Fulfills it's purpose to stir our appetite for book 1 perfectly.
Gabrielle Carolina
Even though I'm predicting that MILA 2.0 will hit big in the YA world and become a reader favorite this year, I'm worried it's not exactly my book as the writing style- first person present tense- always wears on me. Even though the style is meant to add to the tension and pressure of the scenes I always feel distracted by it, because either the character is feeling too much in a situation, and the narration is distractingly over dramatic, or I feel as if the character is zoning out from ...more
Cindy
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading this novella and it was great!

The actual novella is really only 12 pages and the rest is about 7 chapters of Mila 2.0 but this is so good!

From what I've read, it's like a YA Terminator.
The story is pretty interesting but what really captured my attention were the characters. They were fleshed out and I want to read more about them.

Plus, I really want to know what happens next!

I will definitely be reading Mila 2.0, eventually.
I just have to graduate. And find a job. And
Jill booksandescape
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Origins: The Fire by Debra Driza is a prequel novella to the MILA 2.0 series by Debra Driza. In this story, readers experience Mila's memory of the fire that she often remembers in the first book, MILA 2.0. This story is very emotional and gives readers a greater insight on Mila's memories.
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2014
I'm sorry, but she should really know that you should NEVER GO INTO A BURNING BUILDING!
Not a good example to be setting there Mila.
Books
Mar 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed-2013
I downloaded this novella from Amazon for free a few days ago, and it must be the shortest short story I’ve ever read on kindle. No seriously, it’s short! The entire story of Mila reliving a memory of her trying to save her parents from a house fire, comprises an entire 15 percent of the kindle version of this novella. The rest of the 85 percent that’s left are the first few chapters of Mila 2.0 – a Bourne Identity-style trilogy.

Debra Driza’s debut, Mila 2.0, has been receiving a lot of hype
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Origins: The Fire is a very shot prequel to Mila 2.0 but even though it is only about 15 pages long it certainly packs quite a punch! If I hadn't already been wanting to read Mila 2.0 this would have convinced me I needed to. I don't want to go into too much detail because it would be so easy to spoil the story for you but this is Mila's memories of the night of the fire that killed her father and it was edge of your seat stuff. It feels like you're right there in the fire with Mila, struggling ...more
AH
1/19/13 - Kobo free download. Also available for free on Amazon and other online bookstores.

I often wonder why publishers do this. This is essentially a 15 page prequel to MILA 2.0 and contains the first 7 chapters of the book. I know it is to entice readers to purchase the book, however a 15 page sample of the writing only made me more confused about the plot. All I know is that there was a house fire. I did not continue to read the preview chapters as I have the ARC of the book.

So based on the
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I just bought Mila 2.0 and thought I would read this novella first. Yes, it is very short, but I did find it interesting. It is basically a story about Mila and a house fire she was in.

I didn't read the chapters from the book since I just bought the ebook for my kindle.

My only complaint (other than the length) would be that while it sets up the story, it doesn't really give the reader any idea what the book Mila 2.0 is about. So not sure if readers are meant to read this before reading Mila 2.0
Ivana
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, to be completely honest, I didn't get much from this novella. I've had my eye on Mila 2.0 for a while now, but if the purpose of this novella was to get us excited about the book, I'm not sure it succeeded. Not with the writing, nor the story...

The actual novella is only fifteen pages long, the rest is a few sample chapters from Mila 2.0. I like these much better. Instead of this novella, better read a sample from Amazon or such.

Not bad, but rather pointless if the sample chapters do it
Feb 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freebies, read-2013
(Source: Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)
Really short story about a girl who is trapped in a house fire, and gets out, only to realize that her parents are still trapped inside. Also contains several chapters from the forthcoming full-length novel Mila 2.0.
An okay short intro, but I wouldn't call it essential reading.
6 out of 10
Yolanda Sfetsos
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-story
Wow. I grabbed this for free the other day and decided to check it out.

It's actually a prequel short story but it packs quite the punch. It's atmospheric, tense, fast-paced, and totally sucked me in. And that ending... OMG. I'm going to have to buy the book now.

Great short story! Couldn't put it down.
Michelle
Very quick read that explains a lot of thing for the series itself. I liked visiting this world again and really can't wait to pick up the final book in this series next year.
Origins: The Fire is a quick, and dramatic read, but is one that also leaves you wanting to pick up the first book again.
Brooke (The Cover Contessa)
This was a nice little introduction to MILA 2.0. Although I have to say you wouldn't really understand why this is necessary if you haven't read book #1 first. I do love Driza's writing. It's very clean. I think she goes into way too much description, tho and it actually makes it harder to picture what is happening. But this is short and sweet and to the point.
Book Sushi
It was a short novella, only a few pages. It also had some excerpts of Mila 2.0 but I didnt read it as I am waiting for the full book to come out.

Mila wakes to a fire in her home, how the fire started, we dont know but she finds courage to try and locate her parents and save herself but it ends on a cliffhanger...so wait and see what happens in the full book! RD 12 March 2013.
Megan
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a short prequel to Mila 2.0, which I yet haven't read. I don't know if reading that first would have helped or not, but I am curious to see where the story goes...especially with the way it ended.

Lottie Eve
A great freebie that makes me excited for Mila 2.0 The The protagonist is smart and the writing it great. I hate how short it is though. Only 16% of the Ebook. The rest is an excerpt from the full novel
Melissa (The Reader & The Chef)
Wow, this novella was way too short. But it sure gripped my attention. And then I loved the long excerpt of Mila 2.0 (first 7 or 8 chapters). Now I need to get myself the book. FYI, I already love Hunter :D
Lisa Mandina
As another person on here said, really short! Probably as short as the one that went with the Chemical Garden series by Lauren DeStefano. So, I liked it, but it was really disappointing that all it was, well, was pretty short and didn't really tell anything extra.
Kim at Divergent Gryffindor
While the author did an amazing job in writing this blood pumping prologue, I do believe that creating another book for something this short is hugely unecessary. This prologue could have been included athe start of the first book because it was just a chapter long.
Amber
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, 2013, young-adult, own
This was an intro into Mila 2.0. Quick read and informative.
Mischa
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
It was good. Just too short.
(anyway THAT COVER OMG)
Brenda
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nook, ya
This is a very short story, but a remarkably good teaser for what promises to be an exciting YA series.
Wendy-Lynn
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This prequel sample was great. Can't wait for the actual book to come out in March.
Ronda
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Woah!!!!! WTF!!!!!

I didn't expect that - I NEED MORE!!!

Robert Negut
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is a strange choice, to add a preview of the first actual book in the series consisting of its first no less than seven chapters, out of 40, after a very short story. It makes it difficult to decide what to comment on, but I'll go with the whole package just as it is and say it doesn't have much going for it. The writing's all right, I guess, but the short story doesn't actually seem to say much, generating more confusion than anything else, and that preview actually needs to be this long ...more
old account (rl)

This certainly did its job in making me want to read Mila 2.0. The writing was fantastic. There was plenty of action and I was certainly engaged. It didn't feel rushed or downplayed in the slightest despite its rather short length. In the end I rather enjoyed it, but found that the protagonist was a little bit stupid. I mean if you know that most people only have three minutes to escape a fire before they die of smoke inhalation, why would you go back in? It seemed like a really stupid
Myndi
This was an interesting look into Mila's "memories." I was a little disappointed there wasn't more, there is a preview for the first book which takes most of the pages listed. But it was cool for what it was.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Roar and Liv (Under the Never Sky, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Free Four: Tobias Tells the Divergent Knife-Throwing Scene (Divergent, #1.5)
  • Portrait of a Starter: An Unhidden Story (Starters, #0.5)
  • Wash Out (Anchor Point, #7)
  • Heat Trap (The Plumber’s Mate, #3)
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • Loving a Warrior (Loving a Warrior #1)
  • Killer Within (Killer Instinct, #2)
  • Sink or Swim (Anchor Point, #8)
  • Blow Down (The Plumber's Mate, #4)
  • Her Halloween Treat (Men at Work, #1)
  • Broken Protocol (Smoke & Bullets, #2)
  • Shift's End (Smoke & Bullets, #3)
  • Laughter in the Rain & Engaged to the Single Mom: A 2-In-1 Collection
  • Lock Nut (The Plumber's Mate Mysteries, #5)
I'm the author of the MILA 2.0 series and the owner of the messiest purse on the planet, aka: the black hole of doom. I think bow ties are cool and when I grow up, I want to be Veronica Mars.

I rarely check my account at Goodreads, so if you need to get in touch with me, try twitter or Debra at debradriza.com.

MILA 2.0 (3 books)
  • MILA 2.0 (MILA 2.0, #1)
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
  • Redemption (MILA 2.0, #3)