Start by marking “The Sound and the Furry (The Complete Hoka Stories)” as Want to Read:
The Sound and the Furry (The Complete Hoka Stories)

The Sound and the Furry (Hoka omnibus)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
A complete and unabridged collection of Anderson's Hoka stories.
Published 2001 by Science Fiction Book Club

To ask other readers questions about The Sound and the Furry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sound and the Furry

Hank
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Humor in SF/fantasy is difficult. I say this after having read a number of works that have attempted it. Often the jokes fall flat, or are quickly dated.

Having said that, this collection by Anderson and Dickson is a true classic. This is at least the third time I've reread the short stories in this collection, and the second time I've read the novella "Star Prince Charlie" also included in the book. While there is some datedness in the tropes, the effect is that it reflects old school space oper
Jeff
Jan 05, 2010 rated it liked it
The Hokas are an alien species who resemble teddy bears. They love human culture and love to imitate characters from books, movies, etc. Alexander Jones is a diplomat who is guiding the Hoka along until they can become full-fledged members of the Interbeing League.

These stories are good and they are amusing but they are probably best taken in small doses.
Lynn
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Hoka from Toka are a furry bundle of fun!

While the first two short stories in Hokas Pokas! were okay, by FAR the most fun to be had in this book are the shorts in Hoka! Hoka! Hoka! I was originally introduced to the adorable little fuzzballs via Joy in Mudville in the grouping offered in The Infinite Arena (compiled by Terry Carr), a collection of sci-fi short stories. I adored the Hoka so much I wanted to read more about them, so imagine my pleasure when I found out the complete Hoka storie
Foxtower
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: entertainment
A collection of three "Hoka" books, while cost effective, lowered the overall rating.
The first book, "Hoka,Hoka, Hoka" is HILARIOUS! Laugh out loud funny! FIVE STARS! I'm still chuckling when I think about the space patrol adventure.
The second book... more of same but not so much. An "OK'
THe Third book.. Prince Charlie... only had one Hoka as a minor character, and definitively a good kids story. Good, but nowhere near the joy of reading the first book.
I was so hoping the series would expand and
Stephen Simpson
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
The stories from Hoka! Hoka! Hoka! are excellent, humorous light science fiction stories, and well worth a 5-star rating. The stories in Hokas Pokas don't measure up (especially Star Prince Charlie), but they aren't horrible. Unfortunately, they close out this book, so it leaves me with a sort of flat feeling about the work as a whole (even though I have long loved Hoka! Hoka! Hoka! and will re-read those stories over and over in the future).
George
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you have never read any of the Hoka stories, you owe it to yourself to do so. Gordon Dickson and Poul Anderson both wrote stories based on the bear-like Hoka, and they are all very good. This particular edition, The Sound and the Furry, is out of print, but you can usually find one for sale on Aazon or EBay. Buy it and you won't regret it. Very funny, and very fun to read.
Carmen
Lynne
Aug 28, 2012
D
Sep 21, 2008
Goodreads Librari...: Format Missing for ISBN 0739416839 2 11 Sep 30, 2013 05:55PM
Goodreads Librari...: Missing Publication Date for ISBN 0739416839 2 154 Sep 29, 2013 08:56PM
Pseudonym A. A. Craig, Michael Karageorge, Winston P. Sanders, P. A. Kingsley.

Poul William Anderson was an American science fiction author who began his career during one of the Golden Ages of the genre and continued to write and remain popular into the 21st century. Anderson also authored several works of fantasy, historical novels, and a prodigious number of short stories. He received numerous a
More about Poul Anderson...

Hoka (4 books)
  • Earthman's Burden (Hoka, #1)
  • Star Prince Charlie (Hoka, #2)
  • Hoka (Hoka, #3)