Start by marking “Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood of the King (Khirro's Journey, #1)

Blood of the King

(Khirro's Journey #1)

A kingdom torn by war. A curse whispered by dying lips. A hero born against his will.

Khirro never wanted to be anything more than the farmer he was born to be, but a Shaman's curse binds him to the fallen king and his life changes forever.

Driven by the Shaman's dying words, Khirro's journey pits him against an army of the dead, sends him through hau
Published September 27th 2012 by Best Bitts Productions (first published February 23rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Blood of the King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood of the King

Ann Noell
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adventure, magic, betrayal, who is friend or foe? This is the journey of Khirro, a simple farmer who must find the strength within him to become a warrior. This is not a HEA, it is gritty and raw - violence and murder - dragons and giants - blood magic and undead soldiers. An excellent adventure! Looking forward to book 2 Spirit of the King.
Autumn Birt
Jan 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of epic fantasy
This is an adult epic fantasy that grabs you from the first page and holds your interest beyond the ending (thank goodness there is a sequel!). Mr. Blake creates a world that while holding to traditional fantasy elements (swords, castles, dark forests, and magic) is unique in its problems and the predicaments of the main characters.

I won’t say there weren’t times I didn’t want to shake the lead character, Khirro, and tell him to open his eyes and get a backbone, but he does grow as the story pr
Steven Montano
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 out of 5 stars.

Bruce has concocted quite an entertaining epic fantasy yarn. All of the elements are there: a reluctant young hero, dark magic, an enchanted blade, a heroic quest, giants, political intrigue, undead...even a dragon! Bruce has a nice way of making all of these elements seem fresh and new without having to go and reinvent them, and a large part of that has to do with his very grounded writing approach and straightforward storytelling style.

There are some truly memor
Wanda Hartzenberg
Aug 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley for review.
I was first attracted to the book by the compelling cover.
From the first page the book had me enchanted. Our main protagonist is a flawed hero one that shows real growth as his quest takes on life.
The world building was excellent and the plot twists came as a surprise and a delight.
Would I read more by this author?
Naturally.
If fantasy is your poison then read this.
WaAr
megan jade
Very good

About blood of the king
Mirrors journey book1
I like ready this book because love horror and this very good
Michelle
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good book

I wish you would just read this book yourselves and write your own review on this novel yourself and I really enjoyed reading this book very much so.Shelley MA
Thistle
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
(Book received for free for review from Best Bitts Productions.)

Before I say anything else about this book, let me first say that I enjoyed it. I got it for free for review, but you can get the ebook for only $1.99 at Amazon (linked above); it's more than worth that. I have a lot to say, some of it negative, but overall it was quite an enjoyable read. Never before have I described a book as a "romp", but that fits this one -- I feel like I was a member of the party off on an adventur
Amanda Miller /A Bookaholic's Fix: Feeding the Addiction
Blood of the King is a riveting story filled with twists and turns. It has a little bit of everything that makes high fantasy great- kings and knights; loyalty and betrayal; magic in various forms: curses, necromancy, illusion, blood magic, shape-shifting; monsters: undead soldiers, giants, dragons; prophetic dreams; even a cursed land filled with dangers at every turn. The story follows the epic tradition- a hero is called to action, there is a time when he resists but eventually, he sets out o ...more
Thaddeus White
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story, unsurprisingly, follows a chap called Khirro. He’s an ex-farmer who joined the army. His heart’s in the right place but his military aptitude is, er, sub-optimal. Unfortunately, the battle he’s in goes badly. Due to a combination of blind luck and patriotism he manages to save the King (in a manner of speaking), but has to travel to the fearsome Necromancer to have him fully restored.

The book, especially early on, moves at a fast pace, which I rather like. The author’s als
Angelica Lichtner
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love good written epic fantasy and it can be hard to find a fantasy book that pulls you in and is well written and well developed. "Blood of the King" is one of the best new fantas books I have read in a very long time. As a reader you get pulled in from first page you are stuck until the very last page and there you feel like you want more, you need more.

The writing style is very nice and works good for this story and the writing style and the language helps to pull the book and the story fo
J.R.
Apr 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Bruce Blake is a solid writer, his short stories are evidence of that. So how did this competent short-form author fair with the scope of a larger work?

Blood of the King is a solid book with a cowardly protagonist. Said protagonist watches the king die and through unfortunate circumstances is thrust into a quest to deliver his titular blood to a place it may be reborn.

As this quest commences, Khirro is gradually accompanied by a number of fellow protagonists in the classi
Kyra Halland
Interesting, grown-up take on the Farmboy with a Destiny - Khirro, the farmboy in Blood of the King, is accused of getting a girl pregnant, and then bundled off into the army (instead of being forced to marry her? There are hints there's more to this than seems apparent at first!). Anyway, he's at war and (literally) stumbles across the wounded king, who dies, and Khirro is recruited to deliver a vial of the king's blood to the Necromancer, hopefully to be brought back to life.

That's
Stacey
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this is an ARC review given in exchange for an honest review
so what happens when a farmer is told to follow three men on a journey that turns out to be one of the four men but gain one other but who is the man truly friend or foe,
also can they save the kings soul his lifes blood . and can Khirro trust whom he befriends . and who is one who can fly and why was he cursed or was he born that way . and who is the woman they find in their mist when thy save her from men who wanted more than was req
Lana Axe
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Blood of the King is an epic fantasy novel for adults. It has a tendency to be very violent and contains some adult themes, so I wouldn't recommend it for young adults. Khirro is certainly a reluctant hero. I truly wanted to slap him at some points. It's one thing to be afraid, but this guy really tried my patience at times. That being said, he comes across as real. Mr. Blake has done well in creating this character and keeping his actions consistent.

I was a little disappointed in th
Cynthia Ogg
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a PHENOMENAL intro to this series! From the moment I cracked the spine of this book, I was hooked. I honestly picked it up because I thought the cover was incredibly interesting and, having read other books by Bruce Blake, I knew I was in for a ride of epic proportions. As usual, Mr. Blake did NOT disappoint!

Khirro's journey is a staggering one, and from his first breath, I knew that I'd be in for some major crazy. There are so many awesome details about this world woven into th
Sarah Hallgren
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't expecting much since I got this free from Amazon as a deal, but as soon as I started reading it I was hooked!
The characters and the story are very interesting and before I even finished the first, I bought the second book in the series too!

Overall its a book that I would recommend to anyone who likes fantasy. I think the main character is incredibly likable too. One of the best things I liked about this book was how the main character had "something" to guide him in hi
Cody Martin
Dec 26, 2012 rated it liked it
After reading On Unfaithful Wings, I was looking forward to Blood Of The King. For the most part, I wasn't disappointed. The story, a fantasy quest, has a good twist with the protagonist, Khirro, being cursed to complete it. He is bound to the king's blood and has to deliver it to the necromancer. He is compelled. Or is he? I found this book intriguing, with likable characters who aren't cut and dry and not always whom they seem to be. The story takes interesting twists, with enough common fanta ...more
Maxine
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Khirro, a farmer conscripted into the army, finds himself cursed to carry the blood of the fallen king to an ancient necromancer who can restore the king. On his journey, he is accompanied by the usual suspects: the warrior, the harlot, the dwarf, in this case, a midget, the mage, and an elf or rather a shape-shifting warrior. It is a long journey across dangerous country and they are hunted by others who want the blood either to destroy it or to use it for their own purposes.

It is i
Julie Powell
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Khirro, a farmer, is plunged into war and feels like an unworthy soldier, however, events force his hand into the unexpected - a journey deep into the unknown on a seemingly impossible task. His past is a mystery and one that may not be all he thinks it is.

It's great to see his development and how he tackles each problem and the differences it makes to him and the others he meets. The consequences of his actions (and that of others) will change lives forever.

This superbly written ta
Psnyder
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favs
Love this story. A farmer drafted and made into a warrior, and not a good one at that. This poor man is roped into saving the king, only to watch him die and see his blood magically transfered into a vial. Oh no, now this poor man in part of the quest to restore the king...

Of course, things go down the tubes for him. All his allies are now dead, and he is cursed by the Shaman to continue the quest.

He meets several people along the way that want to help him finish his task
Patrick Holt
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
(This review was copied from my Amazon.com review.)
I was very pleasantly surprised by this book. The story was fast paced and action packed, and the characters deep and real. There were plenty of plot twists that kept me guessing throughout the story. I did manage to put the pieces together and sort of guess at the end results for the big twist near the end, but many of the other turns left a positive impression. I will definitely be reading the second and third books of Khirro's journey.
Jackie Hensley
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
It took me a long time to read this book becuase reality kept getting in the way but from the middle on it hard to let life do that. This story is very "Lord of the Rings" in that a farmer is thrust into a life which he percieved to only be stories from his childhood. Full of magic and myths, it's loaded with suprises and it seems no character is safe (lots of loss). Looking forward to the next book, starting it this afternoon!
Steve Thomas
Sep 07, 2013 marked it as dnf
I ended up stopping this one about a third of the way through. This one's on me, though. When the premise involves an undead army invading, and a quest to bring a sample of a dead king's blood to a necromancer, I really have no excuse for being surprised when things took a turn for the grimdark.
Fredrick
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable read!

This is a well written book with interesting characters and a storyline that grabs and holds your attention. It left me wanting more not because of unanswered questions about what I had read but because I can't wait to find out what Khirros future holds.
Jonathan Lin
Jun 27, 2013 rated it liked it
It's alright. Little bit predictable and a little bit flat. Nothing that makes you want to put the book down but nothing that really makes this novel stand out above others.

Worth reading if your to-read shelf is running a bit dry but nothing I'd put on a bucket list.
Mark Carl
Jun 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but it wasn't one that made me not want to stop reading. There were things in the book that were not explained very well or I simply missed them. That being said, I liked the main character and I would like to finish the series.
Malaka
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I really liked this book but couldn't give it 4 stars because it took forever to get through, I'm not really sure why that was since the book is well written and the story interesting. It's a great adventure, which is always fun. I might try the second in the series.
Rebecca
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
Should have skipped the last couple scenes. It felt more resolved earlier. Mostly interesting, although quite dark. But more polish would be nice.
Jason Murray
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Not a bad read - but the ending left a little to be desired.
Tammy Sowards-Sanchez
Jul 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: arc
i couldnt get into the story
Indie Book Club: August 2013 Fantasy BotM: Blood of the King 26 22 Sep 08, 2013 12:19PM

• Empyreal Fate
  • Broken (ShadowLight Saga, #2)
  • Burning Shadows (Order of the Krigers, #2)
  • Anomaly of Blaze (The Fireblade Array, #3)
  • Vulture (The Ferryman + The Flame #3)
  • Windswept : The Hightower Trilogy, #2
  • The Underground Witch (Incenaga, #2)
  • Defiance (The Priestess Trilogy, #1)
  • The God King (Heirs of the Fallen, #1)
  • 7 Folds of Winter
  • Beyond the Iron Gate: Zara's Journey (The Lost Kingdom of Fallada #0.5)
  • Heir of Hope (Follower of the Word, #3)
  • Broken Stone (Souls of the Stones, #3)
  • Caprion's Wings (The Cat's Eye Chronicles, #3.5)
  • Diary of the Displaced - Omnibus (Books 1-3)
  • The Golden Cage (A Dance of Dragons, #0.5)
  • Emily's House (Akasha Chronicles, #1)
  • Midwinter
Bruce Blake lives on Vancouver Island in British Columbia, Canada. When pressing issues like shovelling snow and building igloos don't take up his spare time, Bruce can be found taking the dog sled to the nearest cafe to work on his short stories and novels.

Actually, Victoria, B.C. is only a couple hours north of Seattle, Wash., where more rain is seen than snow. Since snow isn't reall

Khirro's Journey (3 books)
  • Spirit of the King (Khirro's Journey, #2)
  • Heart of the King (Khirro's Journey, #3)