Start by marking “Fibonacci's Liber Abaci: A Translation into Modern English of Leonardo Pisano's Book of Calculation” as Want to Read:

First published in 1202, Fibonacci's Liber abaci was one of the most important books on mathematics in the Middle Ages, introducing Arabic numerals and methods throughout Europe. Its author, Leonardo Pisano, known today as Fibonacci, was a citizen of Pisa, an active maritime power, with trading outposts on the Barbary Coast and other points in the Muslim Empire. As a youth ...more
Published November 11th 2003 by Springer (first published 1202)

To ask other readers questions about Fibonacci's Liber Abaci, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fibonacci's Liber Abaci

Start your review of Fibonacci's Liber Abaci: A Translation into Modern English of Leonardo Pisano's Book of Calculation
Malcolm
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mathematics
Detailed and time consuming but certainly worth the time. By my reckoning a book that shared wisdom and shared techniques that actually changed the world.

Often people think what we know now is recent knowledge and that we , as current custodians of the world are so clever, and getting cleverer.

Well that maybe, however having read Liber Abaci (as a novice in mathematical historical development), there has clearly been great wisdom right back beyond my reckoning.

We are only able to read about thos
Tyler
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Whew. I am finished. Some very interesting algebraic problems towards the end there. I liked the geometrical solutions, but I did find that some were flawed. As such, I applied Al-Khwarizmi's method to many of them, as he did not, and I found the correct answer to some where he actually had an answer significantly different than the correct solution.

That being said, I will definitely keep this book with me. At times, I realize now how important the two major different options (Almuchabala and pr
A.K. Klemm
Dec 27, 2019
Terry
Nov 20, 2011
Ross
rated it did not like it
Jun 13, 2015
Camilla Rose
Nov 05, 2014
Faviola Alarcón cornejo
Dec 01, 2014
Leonardo Bonacci (c. 1170 – c. 1250)—known as Fibonacci, and also Leonardo of Pisa, Leonardo Pisano,Leonardo Pisano Bigollo, Leonardo Fibonacci—was an Italian mathematician, considered as "the most talented Western mathematician of the Middle Ages."
Fibonacci introduced to Europe the Hindu–Arabic numeral system primarily through his composition in 1202 of Liber Abaci (Book of Calculation). He also