Start by marking “Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library” as Want to Read:
Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library

Linux System Programming: Talking Directly to the Kernel and C Library

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Write software that draws directly on services offered by the Linux kernel and core system libraries. With this comprehensive book, Linux kernel contributor Robert Love provides you with a tutorial on Linux system programming, a reference manual on Linux system calls, and an insider’s guide to writing smarter, faster code.

Love clearly distinguishes between POSIX standard f
Paperback, 2, 429 pages
Published June 5th 2013 by O'Reilly Media (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Linux System Programming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Linux System Programming

Arun
Jun 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cs
I really loved Love's Linux Kernel Development (LKD) book (I have read it couple of times) and I read this book in delirium immediately after I gobbled up the LKD book. This books can be kept as a reference on Linux system programming and one has to go to it periodically to check up facts while doing coding. In a way it is most helpful when u have a computer handy so u can type the example programs side by side while u read from the book (I didn't do it that way!). From my own investigation ther ...more
Paul Ivanov
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful way to dive into systems programming and start getting a handle on the standard things the kernel does for you. Though Linux is in the title, Robert Love does a good job of covering the commonalities and departures from other unix-like systems out there. Parts of the book read a bit too much like man pages (I tended to mostly skip the paragraph long descriptions of each possible errno that can be set by each new call - that'd be useful as a reference, but not on your initial read-thr ...more
br
Jan 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

"В наборе компиляторов GNU (DNU Compiler Connection, GCC)"

Качество перевода, количество опечаток и отсутствие редактуры удручает. По возможности избегайте книг, изданных издательством "Питер".
Lehaleha
Oct 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It started well, became a bit boring to the end, but it's book about API after all, not exactly action-packed topic :) It does its job well.
Murray Cumming
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tech
This book was a great chance for me to become more familiar with a lower level of Linux programming, which I usually manage to avoid unless absolutely necessary. I've gained a sense of the APIs used by system level software, such as daemons and services. I've also realized what extra tricks are available even to a regular application that wants to ask the Linux kernel to optimize for its own behaviour when dealing with large amounts of memory or lots of I/O.

After the excellent introduction, it b
Dee
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Highly readable, entirely useful.

O'Reilly books tend to have a very high standard of clarity and general smartness and accuracy. This book was no surprise.

With nonfiction and technical writing it is always a pleasure to find what you were seeking and then to find some more, which you didn't even know you wanted to know.

As an intermediate programmer who is interested in systems programming in the C language, I am utterly satisfied by this book
Edward Llewellyn
A very readable book for a programming manual - he not only goes over the API, but has well thought out suggestions as to when or how you should use particular programming interfaces, as well as which ones are most portable.

He also gets into some of the internals of the latest Linux version so you can write efficient programs for your applications.

Jun 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very clear, if sometimes excessive look through systems programming on Linux. I think many of the individual functions and flags that weren't being discussed in-depth could have been left for the reader to dig through the man page.

Other than that, I definitely recommend it.
Alex
Jul 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Almost no fluff, very detailed and at the same time not that huge in confront to Rich Steven's book. Great syscalls and low level linux design explained from one of the kernel devs. Linux Kernel Development is another his book which is already in my reading queue.
Paul
Nov 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Странная книжка: подробно разжёвываются очень очевидные вещи вроде известных по K&R вызовов, которые есть в стандарте, в то время как более специфические моменты рассказаны вскользь. Перевод корявый. Примерно через год надо будет перечитать, т.к. для запоминания одного прочтения мало.
Tudor Ștefănescu
some good insights about the internal stuff that happens behind the standard library calls.
Sherif Shehab
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's the best book ever when It comes about Linux internals, stuff like Multi threading, timers, IPC is perfectly explained in this book.
Kirill
Mar 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linux, programming, unix
Для новичка в Linux типа меня по-моему вполне дельно, пусть и слишком много пересказов манов
Knr
Mar 29, 2017
Sebc
Nov 18, 2014
Robert Love
Mar 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Apr 23, 2018
  • Learning Python
  • Classic Shell Scripting: Hidden Commands that Unlock the Power of Unix
  • Code Simplicity: The Fundamentals of Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99