Start by marking “Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem” as Want to Read:
Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem

Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem

We've all heard it. We've all said it. All too often, busyness gets the best of us.

Just one look at our jam-packed schedules tells us that we know how hard it can be to strike a well-reasoned balance between doing nothing and doing it all.

That's why Kevin DeYoung addresses the busyness in this book, and not with the typical arsenal of time-management tips, but with the bib
Published September 23rd 2013 by Crossway Books (first published September 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Busy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Busy

Start your review of Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem
Darla
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Five-plus stars for this one! So glad I read it. A succinct and life-changing book. Highly practical and super short, but packed with a message that will benefit so many. What are you waiting for? You have time. It is only 118 pages.
Mark Jr.
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
What do you get when you put together a gifted, kind of techie young communicator from the culturally conservative end of the neo-Reformed spectrum with a contemporary topic like our culture's crazy busyness? This book had the feel of one that wrote itself—to take nothing away from that young communicator, Kevin DeYoung. He said all the things he was expected to say and yet managed to hold my interest the entire time. He also managed to write a Young, Restless, Reformed self-help book. And it ac ...more
Cindy Rollins
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I gave this 3 stars, not because it is not a worthy read but because I want to keep my scale realistic. This was not a book to compete with most of my 4 star books. It was worth the time to read and it was helpful as a chat with a friend might be but it was not profound nor was it classic material. It was a solid 3 star book. I liked it.
Phil
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The best thing about this book is that it is short. Well, actually, the best thing about this book is that it is good, true, helpful, insightful, down-to-earth, realistic, challenging, and encouraging. And short!

DeYoung helpfully brings a biblical analysis of the possible causes of busyness that we all would do well to ponder. He also explains that there is some busyness that is unavoidable outside the convent and cloister.

The section on the role of technology and the internet on our increasing
Dan Schofield
Mar 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Far out.

Busyness is the smoking of our generation, except it may literally be worse.
It can be all-consuming, socially devastating, emotionally draining and spiritually crippling.

I've never smoked, but I've heard it's incredibly difficult to quit. I have been busy, however, and I find it very difficult to quit being busy. I can sometimes 'be good' and slow myself down and be more intentional with my time. But I often 'relapse' into a cycle of saying "yes" to everything, not prioritising what's
Douglas Wilson
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some really good observations about a really common problem.
Nikki Kamp
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Concise, practical. Really good and succinct. I SO relate to DeYoung on his disposition and struggles. Really good to read as I’m trying to distribute time well and prioritize time.
Caleb
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
In his timely book, DeYoung has a necessary talk with us. Many different questions could lead a believer to this book. Is technology dangerous? Should I work for more efficiency in my work, or should I start saying "no"? Is there a Christian view of sleep? Isn't there some busy-ness that's necessary? What does the Bible actually say about all of this? DeYoung addresses each of these questions from different angles in a series of relevant talking-points. He speaks like a good pastor, which means ...more
James Bunyan
Nov 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Typical of everything that is good about DeYoung as a writer.
Punchy, thoughtful, practical, concise, engaging, prevents you from feeling unnecessarily guilty and helps you to love Jesus more and serve him better.
Should definitely use with busy people!
Best one I know out there on this topic.

Useful quotes
“Pride is the villain with a thousand faces” pg 35
Carissa Carns
May 12, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Basic, but good. I especially liked the parenting chapter.

“Busyness does not mean you are a faithful or fruitful Christian. It only means you are busy, just like everyone else. And like everyone else, your joy, your heart and your soul are in danger.”

“Jesus understood his mission. He was not driven by the needs of others, though he often stopped to help hurting people. He was not driven by the approval of others, though he cared deeply for the lost and the broken. Ultimately, Jesus was driven by
ladydusk
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Own.

This was helpful in considering business and countering it and remembering our need for it. It took me more than a year to read as it got stuck on the shelf because I was so busy.

This was worth reading and had good, pastoral instruction.
Andrea
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This tiny little book packs a good punch to our idea that we are "too crazy busy." Learn too take your to-do list to God and make sure you are doing what matters most. ...more
Elizabeth Denton
Jun 14, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Scarily applicable and fantastically encouraging.
David
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Crazy Busy! That’s the cry of many people I know. Just this morning, I had breakfast with one of the men from my church. He said, “I’m Crazy Busy!” So, Kevin DeYoung’s book by that title, Crazy Busy! is a short book that does not solve all our problems, but points us in the right direction.

DeYoung’s book focuses on three dangers to avoid and then seven points to consider to “de-busy-fy” your life. Three dangers to a too busy life are these. 1) Busyness can ruin your joy, 2) busyness can rob our
Ivan
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a "mercifully short" and wonderfully helpful book for a busy guy like me.
DeYoung wants rejects the "busyness as usual" mindset, arguing that a life of constant chaos is far from what God intends. He offers a way forward between doing nothing and doing everything. He writes as one who is trying to “figure out things I don’t know and work on change I have not yet seen.”

One early reviewer states it like this: “Fantastically helpful, humorous and holy. This book is the link between Drucker,
Casey
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pg 117: “Making consistent time for the Word of God and prayer is the place to start because being with Jesus is the only thing strong enough to pull us away from busyness.” This is so comforting—knowing I am not strong enough to fix myself but Jesus is! I’m so thankful we can pray for more desire to pray and more desire for God’s word. We are so weak, but thankfully He is strong.
So many excellent points in this book. I’m so thankful for the points on the “P’s.” I’m so guilty of people pleasing
Rebekah
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a short and practical book, written by an author who admits he doesn't have it all figured out. Because of the author's personal struggle with busyness, he chose to write this book as a find to find solutions and share them with the rest of us. I enjoyed the practical tips and suggestions and wrote out a list of the takeaways I hope to apply to my life. I am glad he ended the book encouraging the reader to make their walk with God their first and foremost priority. Strengthening my walk ...more
Jonathan Roberts
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2022, own, 2015, pastoring
Read in 2015. Sadly I sped through it and it did not do much for me. (This was completely my lack of focus nothing to do with the quality of the book)

Reread in 2022 and WOW! What a difference this book has made in me this time around! Tempted to start it over again. The last two chapters really blessed me and are thoughts I will return to again and again. Highest recommendation
Angel Beeson
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"So much of our busyness comes down to meeting people's expectations..... This is actually a form of pride and narcissism" this book is a helpful exhortation to understanding the the dangers and root causes of our busyness and a practical tool in how to fight against it. ...more
Madison
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
DeYoung's book on busyness is one that I think many Western Christians would do well to read. It is, indeed, mercifully short. But it addresses some of the key ways that our minds have been shaped by the world that cause us to live lives of meaningless tasks. He counters this by providing some healthy ways to be busy, and some healthy ways to (actually!) rest from our work.

My one complaint about this book is that it sometimes felt overly general (to the point that I actually disagreed with some
Matthew
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I believe the last 2 chapters of the book panned out to be most impactful. What we come to is not a demonization of busyness and glorification of rest. Rather, a conclusion that we are supposed to be busy in the Christian life and it is how we handle this busyness that is crucial. "It is possible to be incredibly busy and feel amazingly stressed yet accomplishing very little. On the other hand, it is possible to live your days in a flurry of hard work, serving, and bearing burdens, and to do so ...more
Samantha
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: devotional-ish
You can tell this is written by a pastor with all his alliterated points. It's not like reading some pastors sermon notes but like reading a sermon written down with all the points, sub-points, and rabbit trails not sure how it it all ties together or where he's really taking you.

I picked this book up to read after hearing Mystie Winkler talk about it on her podcasts and after taking her e-course. I think I had higher expectations because of how highly she speaks of this book.

It was OK. Not li
David
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly accurate, necessary, and freeing book. Too many of us overestimate our own power, responsibility, ability, availability, and motivation for our activity every day. This book is a great start down the path of understanding how to control our schedules instead of letting our schedules control us.

Above all this book shows us that our schedules tell us what our soul values, and they will also help or hurt our souls. This book challenges the pride in all of us, but frees us up to live wit
Rebekah Johnson
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“You can borrow time, but you can’t steal it...The busyness that’s bad is not the busyness of work, but the busyness that works hard at the wrong things.”

This is the first Kevin DeYoung book I’ve read and I hope it’s not the last. Witty, candid, and packed with Biblical insights to help diagnose the wrong kind of busyness. And in the last chapter, Kevin points the reader to “the one thing you must do” (i won’t give it away 🙂). Great stuff!
Chris Collier
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thought the book was fantastic. It’s not about how to be more efficient so you’re less busy. It’s not about how to change your calendar so you do more things even better. It’s about what in our heart pulls our attention away from the life that sits in front of us. What is distracting us all the time? What expectations are we placing on ourselves or accepting from society to meet some standard? DeYoung points you to your design to be ministered to by God through Jesus.
Pamela Kilzer
Apr 19, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Another great book by Kevin DeYoung! I appreciate DeYoung’s succinctness in writing more than anything. He says what he needs to say and lets it stand on its own two feet, rather than droning on and on, constantly repeating his point. This book is the perfect book for busy people who want to learn a few quick tips about how to be more effective and less busy. I tucked away a few golden nuggets that I hope to implement within my own life. Loved it, highly recommend!
Cherry Goh
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Kevin DeYoung book I have read and I regret not knowing his books sooner! This is one of the best books I have read in a long long time.

‘Crazy Busy’ packs a punch in this deceptively short but insightful book. I especially benefitted from Kevin’s analysis of the ‘Different faces of pride’ and this was helpful as a base for self-reflection. This book is practical and acknowledges the busyness that we all face day in day out, and offers a way to avoid the pitfall of being ‘crazy’
Ben Rogers
BRILLIANT BOOK. Best work-life book of the year so far.

Some thoroughly life-changing knowledge here.

Highly recommended.

5/5
Eric Durso
Jan 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
Bill Martin
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: busy Christ-followers
Shelves: christian
Nothing earth-shattering here. Just honest. I find the vulnerability of Kevin DeYoung one of the most helpful features of this short book. Readers are invited into the struggle of a pastor who opens both his study and his home to us for a refreshing glance "behind the scenes" at the over-busy life of a popular leader in the midst of his fragmented life. The stance of fellow struggler invites us to put down our defenses and get honest with our own lives.

Far from self-indulgent, De Young does his

• The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness
  • The Wisdom Pyramid: Feeding Your Soul in a Post-Truth World
  • Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God
  • Brothers, We Are Not Professionals: A Plea to Pastors for Radical Ministry
  • None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
  • Side by Side: Walking with Others in Wisdom and Love
  • Not Yet Married: The Pursuit of Joy in Singleness and Dating
  • Untangling Emotions: God's Gift of Emotions
  • Rejoice and Tremble: The Surprising Good News of the Fear of the Lord
  • Rediscover Church: Why the Body of Christ Is Essential
  • A Scent of Water: Bringing Life Back to the Christian School Movement
  • Surviving Religion 101: Letters to a Christian Student on Keeping the Faith in College
  • A Theology of Biblical Counseling: The Doctrinal Foundations of Counseling Ministry
See top shelves…
Kevin DeYoung is the Senior Pastor at University Reformed Church (RCA) in East Lansing, Michigan, right across the street from Michigan State University.