Start by marking “Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem” as Want to Read:
Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem

Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem

We've all heard it. We've all said it. All too often, busyness gets the best of us.

Just one look at our jam-packed schedules tells us that we know how hard it can be to strike a well-reasoned balance between doing nothing and doing it all.

That's why Kevin DeYoung addresses the busyness in this book, and not with the typical arsenal of time-management tips, but with the bib
Published September 23rd 2013 by Crossway Books (first published September 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Crazy Busy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crazy Busy

Start your review of Crazy Busy: A (Mercifully) Short Book about a (Really) Big Problem
Mark Jr.
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
What do you get when you put together a gifted, kind of techie young communicator from the culturally conservative end of the neo-Reformed spectrum with a contemporary topic like our culture's crazy busyness? This book had the feel of one that wrote itself—to take nothing away from that young communicator, Kevin DeYoung. He said all the things he was expected to say and yet managed to hold my interest the entire time. He also managed to write a Young, Restless, Reformed self-help book. And it ac ...more
Cindy Rollins
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
I gave this 3 stars, not because it is not a worthy read but because I want to keep my scale realistic. This was not a book to compete with most of my 4 star books. It was worth the time to read and it was helpful as a chat with a friend might be but it was not profound nor was it classic material. It was a solid 3 star book. I liked it.
Phil
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
The best thing about this book is that it is short. Well, actually, the best thing about this book is that it is good, true, helpful, insightful, down-to-earth, realistic, challenging, and encouraging. And short!

DeYoung helpfully brings a biblical analysis of the possible causes of busyness that we all would do well to ponder. He also explains that there is some busyness that is unavoidable outside the convent and cloister.

The section on the role of technology and the internet on our increasing
Nikki Kamp
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Concise, practical. Really good and succinct. I SO relate to DeYoung on his disposition and struggles. Really good to read as I’m trying to distribute time well and prioritize time.
Rebekah
Feb 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a short and practical book, written by an author who admits he doesn't have it all figured out. Because of the author's personal struggle with busyness, he chose to write this book as a find to find solutions and share them with the rest of us. I enjoyed the practical tips and suggestions and wrote out a list of the takeaways I hope to apply to my life. I am glad he ended the book encouraging the reader to make their walk with God their first and foremost priority. Strengthening my walk ...more
Caleb
Oct 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
In his timely book, DeYoung has a necessary talk with us. Many different questions could lead a believer to this book. Is technology dangerous? Should I work for more efficiency in my work, or should I start saying "no"? Is there a Christian view of sleep? Isn't there some busy-ness that's necessary? What does the Bible actually say about all of this? DeYoung addresses each of these questions from different angles in a series of relevant talking-points. He speaks like a good pastor, which means ...more
Douglas Wilson
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Some really good observations about a really common problem.
ladydusk
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Own.

This was helpful in considering business and countering it and remembering our need for it. It took me more than a year to read as it got stuck on the shelf because I was so busy.

This was worth reading and had good, pastoral instruction.
Andrea
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This tiny little book packs a good punch to our idea that we are "too crazy busy." Learn too take your to-do list to God and make sure you are doing what matters most.
Ivan
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a "mercifully short" and wonderfully helpful book for a busy guy like me.
DeYoung wants rejects the "busyness as usual" mindset, arguing that a life of constant chaos is far from what God intends. He offers a way forward between doing nothing and doing everything. He writes as one who is trying to “figure out things I don’t know and work on change I have not yet seen.”

One early reviewer states it like this: “Fantastically helpful, humorous and holy. This book is the link between Drucker,
Joel Rockey
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kevin DeYoung is such a practical and helpful author. I personally needed the message of this book. Excellent.
Angel Beeson
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"So much of our busyness comes down to meeting people's expectations..... This is actually a form of pride and narcissism" this book is a helpful exhortation to understanding the the dangers and root causes of our busyness and a practical tool in how to fight against it.
Mark
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short book with a few thought provoking chapters.
Casey
Oct 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Pg 117: “Making consistent time for the Word of God and prayer is the place to start because being with Jesus is the only thing strong enough to pull us away from busyness.” This is so comforting—knowing I am not strong enough to fix myself but Jesus is! I’m so thankful we can pray for more desire to pray and more desire for God’s word. We are so weak, but thankfully He is strong.
So many excellent points in this book. I’m so thankful for the points on the “P’s.” I’m so guilty of people pleasing
Madison
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
DeYoung's book on busyness is one that I think many Western Christians would do well to read. It is, indeed, mercifully short. But it addresses some of the key ways that our minds have been shaped by the world that cause us to live lives of meaningless tasks. He counters this by providing some healthy ways to be busy, and some healthy ways to (actually!) rest from our work.

My one complaint about this book is that it sometimes felt overly general (to the point that I actually disagreed with some
Matthew Baldwin
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I believe the last 2 chapters of the book panned out to be most impactful. What we come to is not a demonization of busyness and glorification of rest. Rather, a conclusion that we are supposed to be busy in the Christian life and it is how we handle this busyness that is crucial. "It is possible to be incredibly busy and feel amazingly stressed yet accomplishing very little. On the other hand, it is possible to live your days in a flurry of hard work, serving, and bearing burdens, and to do so ...more
Samantha
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: devotional-ish
You can tell this is written by a pastor with all his alliterated points. It's not like reading some pastors sermon notes but like reading a sermon written down with all the points, sub-points, and rabbit trails not sure how it it all ties together or where he's really taking you.

I picked this book up to read after hearing Mystie Winkler talk about it on her podcasts and after taking her e-course. I think I had higher expectations because of how highly she speaks of this book.

It was OK. Not li
David
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly accurate, necessary, and freeing book. Too many of us overestimate our own power, responsibility, ability, availability, and motivation for our activity every day. This book is a great start down the path of understanding how to control our schedules instead of letting our schedules control us.

Above all this book shows us that our schedules tell us what our soul values, and they will also help or hurt our souls. This book challenges the pride in all of us, but frees us up to live wit
Rebekah Johnson
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“You can borrow time, but you can’t steal it...The busyness that’s bad is not the busyness of work, but the busyness that works hard at the wrong things.”

This is the first Kevin DeYoung book I’ve read and I hope it’s not the last. Witty, candid, and packed with Biblical insights to help diagnose the wrong kind of busyness. And in the last chapter, Kevin points the reader to “the one thing you must do” (i won’t give it away 🙂). Great stuff!
Chris Collier
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thought the book was fantastic. It’s not about how to be more efficient so you’re less busy. It’s not about how to change your calendar so you do more things even better. It’s about what in our heart pulls our attention away from the life that sits in front of us. What is distracting us all the time? What expectations are we placing on ourselves or accepting from society to meet some standard? DeYoung points you to your design to be ministered to by God through Jesus.
Cherry Goh
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first Kevin DeYoung book I have read and I regret not knowing his books sooner! This is one of the best books I have read in a long long time.

‘Crazy Busy’ packs a punch in this deceptively short but insightful book. I especially benefitted from Kevin’s analysis of the ‘Different faces of pride’ and this was helpful as a base for self-reflection. This book is practical and acknowledges the busyness that we all face day in day out, and offers a way to avoid the pitfall of being ‘crazy’
Ben Rogers
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
BRILLIANT BOOK. Best work-life book of the year so far.

Some thoroughly life-changing knowledge here.

Highly recommended.

5/5
David
Jan 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Crazy Busy! That’s the cry of many people I know. Just this morning, I had breakfast with one of the men from my church. He said, “I’m Crazy Busy!” So, Kevin DeYoung’s book by that title, Crazy Busy! is a short book that does not solve all our problems, but points us in the right direction.

DeYoung’s book focuses on three dangers to avoid and then seven points to consider to “de-busy-fy” your life. Three dangers to a too busy life are these. 1) Busyness can ruin your joy, 2) busyness can rob our
Bill Martin
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: busy Christ-followers
Shelves: christian
Nothing earth-shattering here. Just honest. I find the vulnerability of Kevin DeYoung one of the most helpful features of this short book. Readers are invited into the struggle of a pastor who opens both his study and his home to us for a refreshing glance "behind the scenes" at the over-busy life of a popular leader in the midst of his fragmented life. The stance of fellow struggler invites us to put down our defenses and get honest with our own lives.

Far from self-indulgent, De Young does his
Rosie
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is practical and short, something I'm sure many busy folks are grateful for. The author recounts his own experiences with busyness and the need for this type of book for himself. There are practical solutions and steps one can take to help get a handle on busy schedule. As a busy college student I definitely plan on utilizing the tips presented in this book. A great start on studying about time management.
Brian Taylor
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
"The antidote to busyness of soul is not sloth or indifference. The antidote is rest, rhythm, death to pride, acceptance of our own finitude, and trust in the providence of God." (p. 102)

This book was helpful and contained some thought-provoking ways to think about busyness. See below for a quick overview of each chapter's main point. (I've put a star "*" next to the ones that I found the most insightful. If you don't have enough time to finish the book, I would suggest reading just chapters 3,
Leah Good
I've been wanting to give this book a try for about a year--ever since several of my Goodreads friends read Crazy Busy and Just Do Something and gave the books rave reviews. When I found Crazy Busy for 99 cents on Kindle, it was a no brainer buy.

I liked this book for it's simplicity and brevity. Chapter Four and the topics related to it rubbed me a bit of the wrong way (talking about different things Christians can get involved in and encouraging Christians not to feel pressured to be active in
Jason Brubaker
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
The timing of this book is spot on with the onslaught of iPhones, social media, etc. There are a lot of very accurate diagnoses to the main problems plaguing American society today. I didn't feel a flow to this book and the outline was a little hard to see a progression from A to Z. My biggest complaint is with chapter six. DeYoung cites only one "expert" in this field (maybe two don't quote me) and surprisingly argues for the somewhat inconsequential role of parenting. I take a major objection ...more
Allison Anderson Armstrong
Sep 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book and an easy read - I love this guy's writing. He's so Biblical and balanced, and takes everything into consideration when he writes, but doesn't make it too wordy. He cuts to the chase, is honest as he does it, gives realistic solutions and then ends his book. I'll read any of his books any day. This one in particular was a great challenge for me as I apparently like cloaking myself in business and then taking pride in it - not sure what there is to be proud about, but pride co ...more
Kate
Mar 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Is it sad that I finished this book on busyness a month ago and am only now getting around to reviewing it? Because....I've been busy.

DeYoung's book is pertinent, clear, thoughtful, and practical. My biggest take-away: Sometimes God has called you to a season of busy. Jesus was busy. But he prioritized perfectly. And I won't prioritize perfectly, but I can make priorities based on what I believe God is calling me to do. It may be a busy and rich life, and that's fine. Boundaries, saying no to th

• Do More Better: A Practical Guide to Productivity
  • Caring for One Another: 8 Ways to Cultivate Meaningful Relationships
  • Coronavirus and Christ
  • Finally Free: Fighting for Purity with the Power of Grace
  • The Trellis and the Vine: The Ministry Mind-Shift that Changes Everything
  • None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
  • The Gospel Comes with a House Key
  • Zeal Without Burnout: Seven Keys to a Lifelong Ministry of Sustainable Sacrifice
  • In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character
  • Side by Side: Walking with Others in Wisdom and Love
  • Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Plan for the World
  • Gentle and Lowly: The Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers
Kevin DeYoung is the Senior Pastor at University Reformed Church (RCA) in East Lansing, Michigan, right across the street from Michigan State University.

News & Interviews

“Busyness does not mean you are a faithful or fruitful Christian. It only means you are busy, just like everyone else. And like everyone else, your joy, your heart and your soul are in danger.” 10 likes
“J. C. Ryle observed, “A man may preach from false motives. A man may write books, and make fine speeches, and seem diligent in good works, and yet be a Judas Iscariot. But a man seldom goes into his closet, and pours out his soul before God in secret, unless he is serious.” 7 likes