Start by marking “Any Place I Hang My Hat” as Want to Read:
Any Place I Hang My Hat

Any Place I Hang My Hat

Amy was barely born with a spoon in her mouth let alone a silver one. Her mother abandoned her before her first birthday and her father, a small-time crook, was in jail more time than he was out. Raised by her flaky and slightly felonious grandmother, Amy worked hard and managed to get scholarships to boarding school, then Harvard, then the Columbia School of Journalism. ...more
Published February 27th 2007 by Pocket Star (first published January 1st 2004)

Start your review of Any Place I Hang My Hat
Janet
Aug 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked Susan Isaacs. She is witty & funny & writes great dialogue. Most of her humor is wonderful sarcasm - a personal favorite. But she overdoes it to the extreme in this book - she's just not content to write one witty, sarcastic remark at a time. Even the smallest observation that has nothing whatsoever to do with the story merits sometimes 5 or 6 comments - each good in its own right but it gets annoying. The story itself is a good one but it too is overdone. Almost ...more
Jill
Feb 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book captures in an unexpected way the intersection between what we want from the people we love and our ability to trust them to give it to us. It's nuanced in an unusual way so that you're right with the narrator.

[I also finished it in the hours of our car ride home, despite four other awake people distracting me. That is the measure of a good book, right? heh, heh:]
Ptreick
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-reads
I'm giving this three stars because really, the writing is good. Isaacs is queen of the one-liners and witty observations, none of which I could remember five minutes later. And the story ended up the way it should, in my mind -- a love story without any sap or melodrama.

That said... the central plot line (even that is difficult to really say -- is it Amy and John, or Amy's search for her mother?) was drawn waaaaay out with information that in no way seemed necessary. Lots of information about
Farahjoan
Jun 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
Maybe I'm a cynic. I found this at a used book sale, signed, and gave it a go. I thought I'd relate to it, despite the chick-lit feel to the plot. The main character is a writer who had a rough start, but has a strong will and work ethic. And yet I didn't end up wanting to relate to her at all.
Usually, if I don't like a main character I have a hard time finishing the book. I made myself finish the book.
For starters, the first few chapters include startling spelling and grammatical typos. What
Bethany
May 29, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book well enough. It was a nice "finding myself" story with a a cheesy love story thrown in, minus a lot of the cheese and a bit of real-life relationships-are-not-always-awesome thrown in. You meet the main character after her rags to riches conversion from daughter of a criminal turned Ivy League educated gorgeous journalist, which is admittedly hard to relate to for us "normal" people. The first person perspective is nice, and the writing style is very detailed. Although the ...more
Rhonda
Jul 30, 2010 rated it did not like it
Amy Lincoln, the main character,in "Any Place I Hang MY Hat", is a smart young woman who has made her way in the world. She is plucky and flawed. Even though Issacs is wonderfully talented and has a great way with modern description and insight into the life of the single women, however,I never really got immersed in the plot. I always felt like an outsider and kept thinking that the story could have been told in half the time and been twice as engaging. This book was not for me.
Amy
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this book quite well. How is it that I've been picking books that all seem to have a common thread of being grateful for what we have and looking at the positives in life?
Armelle
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Smart, successful Amy Lincoln has made her way out of poverty, but as she nears 30, she realizes she's brought an awful lot of emotional baggage with her on her journey out of the housing projects of New York.

Finally realizing that she'll never get free of her past - and attain what she really wants: a loving family of her own - Amy goes looking for (dare I say it?) closure by seeking out the mother who abandoned her.

I liked it. The emotions and issues were real, but the tone was light enough
Susan Schimmel
May 27, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the second Susan Isaacs book I have read and it will be my last. I was very happy to finally read the last page of a novel that seemed full of filler narrative. Some of the characters are just too gratuitously ludicrous. A farting, spitting boss - really? A handsome, loving crook of a father now been kept my a ‘sugar mommy’ who believes him to be twenty years younger than his actual age; a spoilt rich girl best friend who has a deep interest in couture clothing and whose parents are so ...more
Georgina Lacayo
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I feel that now Young Adult isn't doing it for me anymore, I'm venturing into Adult Fiction, or Fiction in general. This book is a really good choice. I'm almost never wrong when I pick books. I almost always end up liking them all. This one was amazing. Amy Lincoln is a relatable character. Isaacs did a good job at writing a story about a woman who's reflecting over her life and finding gaps and bumps and just wanting to fix everything up. The story is emotional and dramatic, also beautiful ...more
Hollie
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
What started out as a 3.5 turned into a 4 for me by the time it was over. I do not like to give up on books and I am glad I stuck it out with this one. It was a bit of a struggle for me for a little while.
Barbara
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: chick-lit, novel
Amy Lincoln is a young political reporter in NYC, covering the democrats leading up to the 2004 Presidential election. This first person narration is generally compelling, often amusing, and sometimes touching only occasionally bogging down in the topical or veering too close to the maudlin.
Kathy
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
maybe it was bad timing to read this right after The Glass Castle, a true story or horrific child neglect, but this tale of an abandoned child growing up to be an uber-intellectual snarky woman just fell flat.
Mary-Ellen
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I rarely cry reading, but this one got a tear or two out of me. The theme of abandonment and longing to belong are poignant- and made more so by where I am in life's journey.

Already a fan of Susan Issac's Shining Through, I am planning on adding her novels to my reading list
Alicia
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed Isaacs' somewhat snarky narration style, I felt that the book was a little too cliched, especially the ending.
Becca Holwick
I was not intelligent enough to catch most of the references so it was dragging.
Valerie Bradley
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't love this book, but it was easy to read and had some good characters
Mairzi
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
It just never seemed to get started and I felt no connection with any of the characters.
Deborah
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one made me laugh and cry some tears
Robin Mansfield
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
Great book. Great read. Totally enjoyed it.
Kayleigh Applegate
Jan 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Overall decent read, main character was relatable but felt disorganized at times.
Jane
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Fluffy read; good for vacation. Main character has very tough childhood, finds it difficult to commit as an adult. Nevertheless, she finds true love. Ok – very fluffy.
Gerri Farmer
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book could not keep my attention. Could not finish it.
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, read-2017
This was a light, fun, summer read for me. I enjoyed it, and it didn't require a lot of effort, which is sometimes exactly what you need.
Rhonda Soukup
The first book I've read by this author is the story of a woman who was abandoned by her mother. Her in-and-out-of-prison-again father and grandmother raised her. She is a writer for a magazine in NYC and uses her connections to find her mother. This book kind of dragged in the middle. The author went off on wity tangents that maybe were just a little too intelligent for me to follow.
Margaret
Dec 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
I almost put this one down to move on to something more interesting because I just couldn't get drawn in to the plot right away. The reader first meets main character, Amy Lincoln, on assignment for In Depth, the cerebral magazine that offers no photos, only "in depth" articles about current events and political happenings. She is at the fund-raising event in the private home of newly declared Democratic candidate for presidency--Senator Thomas Bowles. She has spent several days with his ...more
Kathryn Gifford
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this one and I struggled to finish it. The writing wasn't bad. I just didn't care much for the story. Kind of a bummer. It does have a pot of gold under the rainbow when it ends. Not my favorite by far!
loves
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Typically, I gravitate towards mysteries, so this book is outside my preferred genre, but it's fun to mix things up sometimes. I have great respect for intelligent writing, and Susan Isaacs is brilliant. In fact, I'd venture to say she added more witty quips and metaphors than necessary while weaving this yarn. She's funny and clever, but I skimmed over a lot of these analogies and side bars trying to get back to the plot. The narrative covers the post-college, pre-marital stage of life of an ...more
JBradford
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I have become very fond of Susan Isaacs because of her saucy heroines, who seem to live the good life that I missed out on by being born before the sexual revolution really took hold. This one is about an interesting character, Amy Lincoln (no relation) whose mother abandoned her as an infant, after her father was sent to jail. Amy managed to climb out of poverty because of an inherent high intelligence and now is a writer for a very posh NYC magazine, enjoying strange friends and very much in ...more
Rose Kelleher
The writing style is witty and engaging, and there's a mystery to solve, and a romance, all very skillfully tied together. But don't look for complexity or depth here. Just do what you're told and root for the plucky, virtuous heroine, whose few endearing "flaws" are the result of having had a rough childhood, whose success in life is entirely due to her own wonderfulness, and whose suffering has always been caused by other people: other, lesser, people whose flaws are not easily attributable to ...more
Madison County NC...: Didn't love this strong resilient woman 1 2 Feb 17, 2020 08:18AM

• The Widows (Kinship #1)
  • Kiss Me First
  • This Was Not the Plan
  • The Printed Letter Bookshop
  • Surfside Sisters
  • Under Occupation (Night Soldiers, #15)
  • Three Women At The Water's Edge
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • Never Come Back
  • Allies
  • Fault Lines
  • One Hundred Shades of White
  • Tower
  • Sleep No More
  • Survival of the Fittest (Alex Delaware, #12)
  • Dark Eye (Susan Pulaski, #1)
  • Νυχτερινή Αφροδίτη
  • Slip of the Knife (Paddy Meehan, #3)
Susan Isaacs is the author of fourteen novels, including Compromising Positions, Shining Through, After All These Years, and As Husbands Go. Her newest novel, Takes One to Know One, will be published in October 2019. She is a former editor of Seventeen and a freelance political speechwriter. Susan is chairman of the board of Poets & Writers and a past president of Mystery Writers of America.