Start by marking “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles II: Creatures & Characters” as Want to Read:
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles II: Creatures & Characters

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles II: Creatures & Characters

(The Hobbit Chronicles #2)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Chronicles, Creatures & Characters explores the amazing cast of heroes and villains, beasts and beings that populate Middle-earth in the first chapter of Peter Jackson’s film adaptations of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Hobbit. Richly illustrated with behind-the-scenes photographs, digital renders and film stills, this comprehensive book goes s ...more
Published April 4th 2013 by HarperCollins (first published April 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Hobbit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hobbit

Ruben (BooksVlogs) Arauz
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult-fantasy
Final: 3.90

Es una experiencia pasada poder leer este libro de las películas de "El Hobbit" especializada en sus criaturas y personajes.

En lo personal, la magia es aún más grande cuando puedo apreciar todo el trabajo que se tuvo que hacer para realizar estas maravillosas películas, lo importante que son los detalles y, como pueden afectar todo una saga si se comenten pequeños errores.

Si eres fan de La tierra media, te lo recomiendo, sino sería una pérdida de tiempo, porque son MUCHAS páginas.
Emma Rose Ribbons
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really amazing and absolutely no repetition from the first book, it's all new material and fascinating as usual. These books should be required reading for anyone who watches The Hobbit.
Sam B
This book is about the Creatures and Characters of the first Hobbit movie.
The whole book is written in quotes by people that worked on the movie. There is so much that went into making this movie and this book gives us a glimpse of that.
This book is also full of beautiful pictures both from the movie and behind the scenes.

I would recommend this book to any fans of these films and will be reading the 5 other books in this series!
Parka
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
( More pictures on my blog )

The first Hobbit Chronicles book looks at the art and design. This second volume looks at how these characters are then created, through make-up or digitally.

You get to see Bilbo, Gandalf, dwarves (again), Thorin, orcs, trolls, eagles, giants, goblins and their king, oversized rabbits, Radagast's hedgehog friend, Stone Giants and the Gollum. Oh, no dragon, not yet.

The book's filled with highly detailed pictures, film stills and behind-the-scenes photographs. There
Alexis Drake
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: btb2018read
Bellissimo secondo volume sulla realizzazione della trilogia cinematografica della Hobbit: rimango ogni volta stupita dalla passione e dall'impegno di ogni singola persona che ha lavorato magari mesi per realizzare un oggetto di scena che magari alla fine non è stato neanche utilizzato o ripreso.
Adoro in special modo vedere le foto e i costumi della Contea, bellissima nei suoi colori estivi.
Ho imparato poi moltissime sui tessuti e sui capelli, e sulla realizzazione delle parrucche!
E adesso mi ma
Rubén J. Araúz
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Final: 3.90

Wren
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely fascinating and I adored all the backstory and little details the actors put into their characters, all the quirks and feelings you didn't get to see during the films. Such a great resource for any fan and highly entertaining.
somnomania
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully done; I wish these were available for Lord of the Rings! There's so much information packed into these books, and I was delighted to find that most of it was not stuff I'd already learned from watching the DVD extras. There were only three or four typos/typographical errors, pretty par for the course, and it certainly didn't detract from the experience at all! The fold-out extras in each one are lovely as well; Thorin's map (complete with glow-in-the-dark runes), Bilbo's contract, th ...more
Renee
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: filmmaking, tolkien
The first Hobbit film was on Xfinity On Demand recently, and became my comfort watch through the month of December. It powered me through the mountain of freelance work that was due before my winter holiday; somehow the constant blood-soaked roar of orcs and dwarves suited my frame of mind (ah, Christmas!).

I am a middling LotR/Hobbit fan; bigger than some, but nowhere near Stephen Colbert levels. But I like Middle Earth, and I LOVE film-making, and have always been incredibly impressed by the ar
Julie
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
(Full review here.)

I am always happy to read about movie making stuff, especially when it's Tolkien related. But. Do I want to read approximately 500 pages about the dwarves? Do I want to read any amount of pages about goblins? Do I want to see huge close-ups of the Goblin King? The answer to all of these questions is no. No, I do not.

I mean, it's a well made, good looking book. The creature and character scale at the back was very cool, and I always like movie making tidbits. But there was so
Jeff Lanter
Dec 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is another really beautiful book from WETA. While the first volume focused on concept art and production, this was more about the characters and a little more behind the scenes/making of. The images they've selected are large and very beautiful. Many are from the actual movie, but the behind the scenes ones are generally interesting as well. There is a surprisingly large amount of text in this book, including interviews with the actors and key animators, producers, etc. Some of the actors h ...more
Michael Alexander Henke
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, fantasy
Whereas the first volume this series was a rather broad look at the making the film, this second volume is much more focused. Creatures & Characters covers its subject in exhaustive depth. Reading through the book we are treated to a tour of the creation of the various Dwarves, Hobbits, Elves, Orcs, Wizards, Trolls and other creatures that appear in The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. The book gives tons of details on things like the wigs that were used and how they were made, the prosthetic ...more
Jerry
Jun 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm giving the book 4 stars based upon the photos and art work-5 stars, but I was a bit disappointed by the text-3 stars. The concept and layout were great, and the idea to have different actors, designers, artists, and computer effects wizards give their takes on the creative aspects of the movie was fine. The problem I had was that many of them ended up saying the same thing: "We used some CGI here, we used all digital here, etc, etc."

I did enjoy the book, and will also buy Chronicles I, and
Rose
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Filled with interesting quotes from the cast and supporting staff, this book has tons of behind-the-scenes knowledge of how the creatures and characters were created for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. This book had less photos and more quotes than the first chronicles book. As much as I enjoyed reading this one, the first book had a better layout and more interesting information. My favorite part was the Comparative Size Chart in the back of the book that shows everything from wargs, orcs, g ...more
Shaxar
SO AWESOME. I love these behind-the-scenes kinds of books; getting to see all the hard work and creativity that goes into a film like this is amazing, not to mention all the inside views from the various artists, engineers, and actors. I especially liked reading Richard Armitage's comments. He was very insightful and clearly knows a lot about Tolkien's world, and as a serious Tolkien fan, I really loved that.

I love this film anyway, and learning all these things about it just makes me love it mo
Chris
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
As everyone knows, I love all things Middle Earth, and get every book with behind the scenes info on Peter Jackson's take in the movies. Thus, I have the first 3 of these very nice books to add to my collection, and this was the 2nd of two based on the Unexpected Journey (for the Hobbit). As before, there is not much to say. Lots and lots of interesting info on how they developed the characters, wigs, makeup, digital effects, etc. with a hint at the end of Smaug the Dragon (nothing in this book ...more
Jeni Enjaian
This book is my favorite out of the three published so far. As the title suggests, this book details what went into creating all of the characters. (I can't wait for the fourth book to see what went into creating Smaug!) While I may disagree with Peter Jackson's interpretation of the book at times, I can only marvel at the depth and complexity of the creative process to produce the amazing cinematography of the Hobbit. Any Hobbit lover should definitely do whatever it takes to own this book, the ...more
Maja Kron
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This had everything I wanted, and the photographs were beautiful. The whole layout of the book was amazing, and I got to know a lot of details and small things other characters did (epescially some of the "minor" dwarves), which I've never noticed while watching the movie. I'm definitely gonna rewatch it soon and look for all that was mentioned!

I'm looking forward to buy another book by the same author and in the same "series", this was so much better than I expected and I loved it so much!

Narariel
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned
I really enjoyed this book & the closer look at the various characters & creatures of the first Hobbit movie. I feel the book is able to go into more detail than some of the DVD documentaries as well as giving a voice to some of the non-department leaders. There are some somewhat technical details, but they are put into layman's terms & don't overshadow the book overall. I particularly enjoyed the section on the animals of movie, like Radagast's birds or Sebastian.
Kate
Dec 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is so comprehensive on the these various characters that it is truly incredible. I felt it dragged a little when it came to the talk on the dwarves, as some of that had been detailed in the first chronicles book. But mostly I liked returning and reading other aspects, motivations, and even history of the races of Middle Earth seen in the movie so far.
Nicki Markus
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another gorgeous book, The Hobbit Chronicles - An Unexpected Journey Creatures and Characters focuses, as you might expect, on the work done by the Weta team bringing the various characters of Middle Earth to life. From Hobbit feet to goblins, not a thing is missed out in this wonderful companion book to the film.
Jenny
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cassie Hawkings
Having always loved behind-the-scenes special features, I was excited when I discovered this book. A behind-the-scenes look at how Middle Earth was bought to life by Peter Jackson, the cast and crew of The Hobbit Trilogy is an exciting thrill ride for all who love anything and everything film. Loved the foreword by Andy Serkis.

5 stars.
Stephanie
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This is more of a props book than art and design like the other two chronicles books, and has movie stills/promos rather than art, so I don't care about it as much.
Alyssa
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Jam-packed with beautiful photos and interesting stories, tidbits, and anecdotes from the cast and crew. A fine addition to the Tolkien shelf.
Jocelin
May 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: art, coffe-table
This was a great book. The art work shows the masterful craftsmanship it took to create the characters in "The Hobbit".
Carina
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all of the behind the scenes stuff we got to see in this book. Especially all of the commentary from the actors.
Nikki
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent addition the the movie.
Sherrie
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book!
Ashwise
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantasitc look at the art concept at the hobbit....not as good as the first one though.

• The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - Official Movie Guide
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Visual Companion
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings
  • The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films: A Comprehensive Account of Howard Shore's Scores (Book and Rarities CD)
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Annual 2013
  • The Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook
  • The Art of Avatar: James Cameron's Epic Adventure
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode I—The Phantom Menace
Daniel Falconer joined Weta Workshop in 1996, shortly before The Lord of the Rings. With a degree in graphic design, majoring in illustration, Daniel has an enthusiasm for world design and the development of imaginary cultures and creatures as a means to tell stories. He also has a deep knowledge of Tolkien's Middle-earth, thanks to an avid interest in the books and associated materials, which fre ...more

The Hobbit Chronicles (7 books)
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles I: Art & Design