Start by marking “Textual Encounters: The Christine + Jake Affair (Textual Encounters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Textual Encounters: The Christine + Jake Affair (Textual Encounters, #1)

Textual Encounters: The Christine + Jake Affair (Textual Encounters #1)

3.39  ·  Rating details ·  390 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Katie discovers an unlocked iPhone in the back seat of a taxi. But instead of turning it in to the driver as lost, she decides to keep it for herself.

Outside of the usual clutter you would expect to find on a smartphone, what captures Katie's interest is the single conversation she finds on the phone's secure text messaging service, a three-month dialogue between a woman w
Published December 10th 2012 by QuoteStork Media Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Textual Encounters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Textual Encounters

Splage
Review posted to: Swept Away By Romance

3 Stars
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Heat Barometer: 2 out of 5 flames

If you are looking to try something “out of the box”, this could be it. It is a whole different twist to a traditional romance book between a hero and heroine. It comes alive through Katie, a person on the outside looking in as she reads the text of intimate conversations that take place over three months through a phone she finds in a taxi. It was very exciting to hear the initial meetings
Heidi
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked the premise of this book and it sounded interesting when I came across it. Not my usual full-on steam/romance but still a different read.

Katie finds an unlocked iPhone on the back seat of a cab and proceeds to read a conversation that goes on between two people(Christine & Jake). From their initial accidental first text, a relationship blossoms. It is written in text form over a series of days and months.

I enjoyed the read and it had a few twists along the way. There is a cliff hang
Beth
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 What Just Happened Here? Stars

This book came highly recommended by my friends at www.theindiebookshelf.com. After reading it I wonder if they like me or just like to torture me.

Katie finds a cell phone in the back of a cab. She thinks about turning it over to the driver, but then decides that she deserves it more than the orginal owner. As she is scrolling through the apps, she finds a text conversation that has been going on for months. So naturally she reads it. Yeah I would read it too. No
Leslie
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Wow, this is one of those books that sucks you in; and immediately!! The storyline is refreshingly unique, which is a huge plus for me personally, and the writing flowed with believable ease. This new author is one to watch as he tells his story mostly through witty text messages between Christine and Jake, but their relationship becomes much more than just texting. The connection between these two is an emotional and sexy ride for the reader, and yet another reason I hated to even temporarily p ...more
Christina
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-2014
Katie catches a taxi and quickly finds an iPhone left in the back seat by the previous occupant. At first thought, she wants to hand it to the driver to put in the lost and found, but her curiosity gets the best of her and she quickly decides to see what secrets the phone holds. Besides, she has wanted an iPhone for a while…if the previous owner didn’t care enough to watch after the phone, Katie would be more than happy to.

Textual Encounters is an incredibly fast, easy read. It is told mainly in
Aussie Jo
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
I am on the fence with this.

I have read sample after sample of rubbish for the last week then stumbled upon this. It kept me interested and it was quite good but I don't have the urge to buy the second one. It was well written and I always love text messages in books as they have the potential to say so much in a compact way and be quite witty.
Spoiler alert!
I think whilst the format was good the actual meetings and conversations they had and moments shared when they met in Canada or NYC could ha
Shanyn
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Communication. It’s often the factor that makes or breaks a relationship. And it’s probably the hardest thing for people to learn. Luckily in this day and age there are not only a plethora of modes of communication, but there are also many different levels of acceptable communication. There’s electronic communication, face-to-face, nonverbal, gifts, writing – there are tons of ways to convey your thoughts to those important to you, no matter the message. But regardless of the myriad of ways we a ...more
D
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I have not come across such a 'smart' book since Tarryn Fisher's The Opportunist.
Based entirely on the texting conversations between the two primary characters, Textual Encounters is brilliant. There are not many books that base their entire story without any inner monologue. Therefore, you are left with the dialogue alone to convey meaning, feelings and tone. Throughout the conversations, which occur over a three-month span, you find yourself adding to your list of questions and not being able
Kate Givans
Dec 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
If I’d been shopping for a new book, I probably would have passed this one up. Generally, I stay away from novellas because I prefer longer stories. And if it were left up to me to classify Textual Encounters, I’d place it in the chick lit romance genre – definitely not my genre of choice. But I am so honored to have been one of the first people to ever read it.

Textual Encounters definitely has a lot of things going for it: it’s original, the characters are very likable and the writing style of
Heather
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this book and am going to try to keep 1 and 2 straight in my head as I write up my review because there is a huge difference in how I feel about the characters in each book.

In Textual Encounters we have Katie – who to me seems a tad self-entitled – finds a iPhone in the back of a cab. Instead of doing the right thing, trying to find the owner, she takes it as a sign from the universe that she is supposed to have an iPhone instead of her old phone. At her age and in med school she should
Lisa
May 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I need to admit that I've had this on my Kindle for months and finally got around to reading it. Are you looking for something different to read? This may very well be that book. Talk about 'coloring outside the lines', this book is all about not being the norm.

You start with Katie finding an unlocked iPhone in a cab one day. She starts snooping and finds a 3 month dialogue between what started out as strangers. Christine and Jake start their relationship with a text to a wrong number, but in 90
Jessica Leonard
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a FREAKING brilliant way to write a book! Morgan is a genius...he will deny it, but don't listen to him!

What would you do if you found a phone abandon in the back or cab. And not some junky flip phone an iPhone, the one you have been wanting for months. You contemplate with your morals and then it beeps with an incoming message. Would you read it?

Katie was faced with these same decisions. Feeling that no one would have "misplaced" an iPhone if they truly treasured it they would have checke
Ellen Faith
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd been in a bit of a book slump, not being able to really get into a book properly, reading bits at a time here and there. And then I decided to read Textual Encounters.....

From the second the text messages started, I was hooked. It was like something clicked inside my brain, I just wanted to know more of the story of these two people and whether they would get the happy ever after they deserved.

Jake was a loveable guy, if not a bit of an intense control freak at times, but his heart was in th
Isabel
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a nice surprise :)

Someone finds a smartphone left in a taxi, and (lucky!) is unblocked, and what it is any reader's dream: there is inside a real story between two people (I guess is like finding an original painting in an antique shop). This would be the 21st Century version of an epistolary novel, and even better because it's fast paced and straightforward, without the long divagations and ramblings that actual letters would have.

The fact of being written as text messages got me hook
Liz
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, phoneromance
Ever want to read the texts between two lovers? This is a voyeuristic novella with a cliffhanger.

Katie finds an iPhone in the back of the cab and wants to keep it, but then decides after seeing a couple of texts come through that she wants to read the texts between "Jake" and "Christine".

This relationship is interesting to watch "progress" but these two hardly know each other and as the texting continues, it's clear that there's more than meets the text between these two lovers.

I liked this bec
Books On Fire Tours
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I tell you the more books I read by Author Morgan Parker, the more of a fan I become! In my opinion this man is nothing short of a genius and his books are so different, captivating and unique that authors must NOT read them!!! Any author will immediately feel like they are wasting their time and could never compete with this neuveau, contemporary author! He puts the best to shame with his simple formats, hilarious writing style yet in such an absolutely unique way, that is mesmerising.
Textual E
Tiana Dalichov
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!

Morgan was kind enough to provide me with an ARC copy to read and honestly review, and I must say...I was pleasantly surprised by this. I've never read a book like this!

Textual Encounters was a novella that focuses on a young woman named Katie who finds an iPhone in a taxi cab and then proceeds to read the messages between the phone's owner (Christine) and a man named Jake. As readers, we're in the same boat as Katie trying to figure out the relationship between Christine and her Mr.
Rhonda
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I would never have thought that reading a book made up of text messages would pull me in like this one did, but it did. In fact, I had trouble putting it down so that I could live my life as I wanted to just sit in my chair & vegetate reading it until the conclusion.

The text messages between Jake & Christine are priceless. Each day (chapter) I wanted more from both of the characters. Would they commit to each other or just keep up the text messaging & hookups?

The ending kicked me in
Martin Skate
Nov 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book. Textual Encounters reels you in from the very start, it awakens the voyeur in all of us, who wouldn't want to read these texts! Parker has taken such a cool take on the romance tale and injected it with a fresh perspective on the boy meets girl story. This book is surely very popular with the texting & internet generation, and reminded me of the first few times that I was introduced to texts, chat rooms, and the messenger tools that are now so common. The pace of the story ...more
CrazyDaisy
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I know, it's about time I've gotten around to finally reading Morgan Parker's books. I'm SMH wondering what took me so long and why didn't I make more of an effort? I can now say that I'm OFFICIALLY a fan of MP!

I was a little hesitant when I saw the format of the book but I quickly forgot about my hangup because I was sucked in right away. I read it in one day while hanging out by the pool. Yup, it makes a great pool/beach/wherever read.

I really loved how I was able to connect with the cha
Manda Crowley
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
I don't know how I feel about this. Well I guess I do because I gave it four stars and I zipped right through it without putting it down. I loved the idea of the text message of the story. I got to the ending....if you haven't read it yet STOP HERE!!!

...and I'm confused by the end! The mystery of all this. Who the F is Christine? The entire hospital scene and then fast forward to Katie and Jake...I'm so confused. I suppose I will now be reading the sequel and hoping for some answers. In the mean
Lisa Olsen
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When I first came across this book, I thought it was a cute gimmick, but how interesting could it be when told almost exclusively through text messages? Cut to a couple of hours later when I'm still paging through this sucker, trying to figure out the twists and turns Morgan Parker takes us through. Not only did he capture my interest, he had me instantly ponying up to buy the next one. If you're looking for a quick, fun read and an interesting peek into a modern day romance with enough surprise ...more
Penny
Oct 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
5 Bright Stars for Originality

When I first read the blurb about the book, I thought the concept of someone finding a cell phone and reading the text messages of a couples burgeoning romance was intriguing . I was a little skeptical if a book consisting of just text messages and no actual physical interaction could work. I was pleasantly surprised! Not only did it work it was effing perfection. It had a little of everything humor, romance, intrigue, suspense ! I highly recommend this book if you
Michelle
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. This is such an original, interesting idea for a story line. Not only is the whole thing basically written with no internal dialogue -- just simple text messages, but it's also told from an outsider's perspective. So she's trying to figure out the story right along with the reader.

It's a quick read that sucks you right in. I couldn't put it down, and toward the end - Bam - everything seems to turn on its ear! Thank goodness that the second book is out already because there is no way
Megan
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a refreshing and unique concept! I enjoyed the format of this book so much. Maybe I'm a closet voyeur! The text messages seemed so intimate, even more than the actual meetings between the characters. While I didn't love Katie, I probably would have done the same thing after discovering a phone in a cab. I really wanted Jake to win the girl in this one.

It was definitely fun and witty. A quick and engaging read!
Lariza
Jun 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: challenge
Good premise though the story got somewhat confusing for me with all the texts! Jake and Christine's relationship began in an unconventional manner and progressed very quickly over the course of texting. It was apparent from the beginning both were hiding things and I wanted to find out more!! Katie was engrossed in their relationship and was falling for Jake-- that is sure to make the next book quite interesting. Overall I did enjoy the story I just want all the questions answered!
Carissa
Dec 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Interesting concept, but I feel the emotions of the book were lost because the reader never witnesses any physical interaction between Jake and Christine. I also had a hard time determining who was sending each text. If you're looking for something different and a fast read, this book may be for you. I read it in one sitting in about an hour. I may read the second book just to see what happens, but I am not in any rush to do so.
Andrea Mcbride
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this story! So exciting I just wanted to see how it was going to end! And it's a really different storyline! The only problem I had with this was the text messages. They got kinda confusing! They need names by who's texting who! I was getting confused ! Who lived in Toronto who lived in New York? ( I figured it out half way who lived where) and It got better towards the end ! But if there were names with the text it would have been so much easier to read!
Lesley
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Jake loves Christine(well that is her name now) - I love how they meet by a mixed up text message. Katie finds Christine's phone in a cab and reads the developing love story between Jake and Christine - however things happen that keep pulling them apart - what is Christine's story??? Katie wants to find out and truthfully so do I - can't wait for the next book!!
  • Doubles
  • Trust Me
  • Let It Go
  • When I Look to the Sky (Rock and Roll Trilogy, #2)
  • Sweet Cider
  • A Part of Me (Philadelphia, #2)
  • Watching Her (Watching Her, #1)
  • Fulfillment and Attainment (Temptation, #3 & 3.5)
  • Hidden Depths
  • Toxic (Better Than You, #1)
  • One Too Many Men
  • Manhunt
  • It's In His Kiss
  • Bluffing the Devil (Nuhra Saga, #1)
  • The Space Between (Space, #1)
  • Pearl
  • Above Rubies (Rockland Ranch, #2)
  • Pieces of Truth (Pieces of Lies, #2)
Morgan Parker is the pen name for a shy and introverted former banker. Given the nature of his former career and his unique childhood upbringing in a trendy, white-collar town West of Toronto, Mr. Parker made up plenty of stories to stay employed and to avoid the responsibilities of adulthood. His novels are a product of those stories.

Mr. Parker believes that all great novels involve realistic cha
More about Morgan Parker...

Textual Encounters (2 books)
  • Textual Encounters 2 (Textual Encounters, #2)