Start by marking “John Carpenter's Starman” as Want to Read:
John Carpenter's Starman

John Carpenter's Starman

He came to observe life on earth - that's what happens when a peace-loving alien takes the friendly invitations we send into space seriously. But the U.S. Air Force shot down the starman's ship, and now he has to clone the body of a human being just to stay alive. Armed with a smattering of earthly lore (how to say hello in Chinese, the Stones "Satisfaction") collected fro ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 280 pages
Published December 14th 1984 by Warner Books (first published 1984)

Jack Hansen
One of my favorite lines of all time came from this book, "You are at your best in the worst of times." I probably paraphrased that because it was recalled from the endless depths of my memory. The gist is the same, however. I thank Starman for this inspiration in my life which I have shared many times as a nurse.
Brian
Jul 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The book is very good, but it could go further, possibly into another book with the baby and possible future.
P.S. Winn
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great story of an alien come to earth and tries to enlist the help of a recent widow to get him out of trouble. I liked the story and the time it was written in.
D. E.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent novel turned into a fantablous movie. I watch this movie once a month whether it on TV our not.
Jeff F
Aug 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is better than the movie because it didn't have Karen Allen in it.
Michelle
I remember the Starman movie scaring me when I first watched it. I was probably relatively young at the time and the whole scene when the 'alien' changes from a baby, to a young boy, to Jeff Bridges, quite freaked me out. But now it's one of my favourite films.

I originally bought the book as a Christmas present, but decided I simply had to keep it for myself, as I hadn't known it existed before that point. Written by the same author who did the novelisations of the first three Alien movies, Ala
Indah Threez Lestari
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Filmnya rilis 25 tahun yang lalu, saat pemeran utamanya, Jeff Bridges, masih sangat muda (jauh lebih muda dari profilnya di film Iron Man apalagi Crazy Heart XP). Aku menonton filmnya di salah satu tayangan film minggu siang tahun 90-an, entah TVRI atau RCTI, and I love it.

Ceritanya sederhana tapi indah, tentang alien cinta damai dalam misi mengobservasi kehidupan di bumi. Untuk dapat beradaptasi dengan kondisi bumi, ia mengkloning tubuh manusia dari sejumput rambut seorang pria yang sudah menin
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: sci-fi YA
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: genre
The Starman's ship is shot down after responding to Voyager's 1977 invitation to 'come see us sometime'; and then, after crashing, he clones the body of a beautiful young earth woman's husband. He elicits her aid to return him to his pick up point, and their trip across the country becomes an epic of inter planetary true love. Sigh! I loved the movie so much seen it 30 times! So of course I had to have the novelization! One of my all time faves as a young one!
Victor Orozco
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not bad. Basically when you read it you get a very simple and look behind the thoughts of the 'Starman' as he journeys to the planet. I like how Alan Dean Foster adds some details here and there, but he does remove some things in order to present it better.

I really enjoyed the ending, which was as powerful and emotional when you watch the original film. B-
Babete
Mar 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O filme também é fantástico! ( O Homem das Estrelas )
Leslie
Feb 19, 2008 rated it liked it
It's like watching the movie all over again. And I loved the movie.
Warren Rochelle
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish there was a sequel. I know, I know, there was a TV show, but I don't recall it really explored in depth the potential of the starman's son.
Marc Mcdonald
Read this in the 80's after the movie came out.
Jami
Aug 22, 2009 added it
Back in the 80's I read many, many movie adaptations. I don't know why.
Roxana
Sep 03, 2014
Linda Williams
Feb 23, 2014
Scott
rated it did not like it
Jun 08, 2016

• The Touch of Your Shadow, The Whisper of Your Name
  • Forbidden Passion
  • The Day the Earth Stood Still & Other Classic SF Novellas
  • Clark's Law
  • The Warrior Within (Terrilian, #1)
  • Slave for Two (Soul Match, #1)
  • Blood Oath
  • Laertian Gamble (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, #12)
  • The Way of the Warrior (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Widow of Saunders Creek
  • Elephantasm
  • Miracle Monday
  • In the Beginning (Babylon 5)
  • A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering
  • Iron Butterfly
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more