Start by marking “Avalon (Avalon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Avalon (Avalon, #1)

Avalon (Avalon #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  3,012 Ratings  ·  537 Reviews
A ragtag group of teenage mercenaries who crew the spaceship Avalon stumble upon a conspiracy that could threaten the entire galaxy in this fascinating and fast-paced sci-fi adventure from author Mindee Arnett.

Of the various star systems that make up the Confederation, most lie thousands of light-years from First Earth-and out here, no one is free. The agencies that govern
Published January 21st 2014 by Balzer & Bray

To ask other readers questions about Avalon, please sign up.

TaranisMoose This book reignited my desire to write. Only because I made it 3 chapters in and was determined to prove that this could be bested, and each chapter I…moreThis book reignited my desire to write. Only because I made it 3 chapters in and was determined to prove that this could be bested, and each chapter I read only told me to keep writing, not like I could do bad if this was great.

Seriously, the book isn't bad, but it's nothing to write home about, at all, unless you're talking about the Firefly parallels (as already referenced on here).(less)
YA Novels of 2014
91st out of 1,533 books — 8,916 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods & Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
155th out of 2,658 books — 15,853 voters

More lists with this book...

Khanh (the Grinch)

This is Firefly fanfiction under different names.

Boy, they weren't kidding when the summary of the book said it is "a great match for fans of Joss Whedon's cult hit show Firefly." There are a tremendous amount of similarities, for one, the plot: a ragtag crew of mercenaries set out into space on a beloved spaceship, only to rescue some siblings on the run---one of whom has a secret. If you have watched the show, you will be able to make a very exact hypothesis regarding the secret. There will be
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I think Avalon is the first book in quite a while that has made me feel really disappointed. Sure, I’ve read some bad books lately but none of those had I expected to turn out to be crazy brilliant reads; therefore not resulting me into being disappointed. However, I had thought Avalon would be a crazy brilliant read. I mean honestly, teenage mercenaries in space? HELLZ YEAH! The word disappointed may be overused yet it’s the only word that can describe what
Actual rating is 3.5 stars - was initially conflicted about this, but since the first half would have amounted to about 2.5 stars, and the second half 4, it evened out to 3.5 stars total.

I have two confessions: one, I am generally not a fan of space operas and novels of the like, so I wasn't sure whether or not I would like Avalon, and two, I have never seen an episode of Firefly. Not one. So I pretty much went into Avalon blind as to exactly what kind of book it would be, since I could probabl
Jul 30, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-releases
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Avalon by Mindee Arnett
Book One of the Avalon series
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: January 21, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

Of the various star systems that make up the Confederation,
Faye, la Patata
When I first read The Nightmare Affair, I instantly became a fan of the author. I enjoyed the storyline, the writing, the humor and the pace in that particular paranormal book, and that's rare coming from me because I rank PNR very low in my preferred genres. Finding out Ms Arnett was going to write a Science Fiction complete with spaceships and interstellar travel psyched me up big time, especially since I favor that the most. If Mindee Arnett was able to hook me line and sinker with a PNR read ...more
Lindsay Cummings
Dec 17, 2013 Lindsay Cummings rated it it was amazing
I FREAKING LOVED IT!! sooo good. awesome unique scifi story, totally perfect for fans of Firefly. amazing characters, awesome plot twists, and I spent 2 nights up in a row reading it. I'm obsessed with it! :)
Elizabeth Norris
Jun 18, 2013 Elizabeth Norris rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Mindee Arnett is an amazing writer.

FIREFLY fans, trust me, you will not be able to read this fast enough.
I'm going to throw eloquence out the window in favor of adapting a slang term for my own reviewing purposes: DAT COVER. I don't even know what that thing is on top, but it's fabulous. When I first saw this book, I didn't even care what it was about. I just knew I needed to get my hands on this beautiful piece of art. Then I read the description, and I needed it even more badly.

I love how the description calls this "a great match for fans of Firefly". It should be more like "this book is basical
Jan 26, 2014 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Sci-Fi books are always a challenge for me. I usually like them, but picking them up is never easy for some reason. I'm guessing it might be due to all the strange tech and worlds that always seem to be in each novel, but usually when I do pick one up I am quite satisfied and surprised at how much I truly do like this genre. Avalon not only held true to this, but it turned out to be one of my favorites among all the other Sci-Fi books on my shelf.

Jeth is a thief, but he is one of the best thieve
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jan 11, 2015 Jaime (Two Chicks on Books) rated it it was amazing
Loved this! It was like Firefly, Pandorum, and all the Star Treks mixed into a book of awesomeness!!!! I can't wait for book 2 :)
Sara (Freadom Library)
Actual rating 4.5 stars

This review was originally posted at

Check out my series review here:

Plot – 4.5 out of 5 stars
action packed, mystery, suspense, minimal romance, themes of family and friendship, plot twists galore, but there was something missing, not 100% sold

Writing Style – 4 out of 5 stars
engaging, entertaining, fast paced, detailed, descriptive, sometime confusing when describing the space travel an
Apr 11, 2016 Kevin rated it really liked it
4,5 Stars

I admit it : I have been obsessed with SciFy lately (Probably because of Red Rising by Pierce Brown) so when I read the plot, i was immediately intrigued. A group of young mercenaries? Count me in !

Jeth Seagrave is the leader of this crew (composed of his very smart sister Lizzie , his alchoolic uncle Milton, and his friends Celeste - a very pretty pilot - ,Shaddy - obsessed with blowing things up - and Flynn - resident mechanic, with a very big stomach - . After that his parents were
Abbe Hinder

2.5 Stars

I have always had a hard time with sci-fi novels, and this one is no different. The book starts off beautifully and kept my attention, but during the middle, the whole story falters and becomes very boring. This also happens for most, if not all of the characters. Their sneaky ways come to a screeching halt, and they are so bland that I would've rather eat original oatmeal. And I hate original oatmeal.

The Malleus Shades are known as one of the best thieves in the galaxy, but all I pict
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Looking for a great sci-fi YA novel but haven’t found it yet? Avalon is the space adventure you’ve been looking for. With space ships, metatech, sci-fi technology, galactic stops and an ultimate villain, I thoroughly enjoyed Avalon for my sci-fi fix.

Jeth Seagrave and his crew work for Hammer, a boss as unscrupulous as they come, because all he wants is to earn his parents’ ship back. The crew is sent away to Belgrave, to find
Dec 20, 2013 Jon rated it liked it
Check out Scott Reads It!
I really had no idea what to expect from Avalon because it was compared to Firefly and I hadn't seen the show yet. After watching a few episodes of Firefly, I realized that Avalon's plot is extremely similar to Firefly's and that so many of the characters from Avalon bear an uncanny resemblance to those from Joss Whedon's popular TV show. I definitely think that fans will enjoy this novel, despite the immense similarities to Firefly.

Avalon starts off strong with an ex
Apr 16, 2016 Alannah rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars.
I read this a while ago and I just thought I'd clarify that this is 3.5 stars, as I'm now reading the sequel. But from memory this book was very enjoyable!
Aug 15, 2014 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nycc13, winter-2014
Let me start this post off by saying how much of love Mindee Arnett, and that everything that she writes will be GOLD for me. I mean, she can do no wrong. I absolutely loved this book. It would seem that lately the popular book trend is books about space. There's These Broken Stars, Avalon, Tin Star and Salvage all this year alone, and I know that I've forgotten one or two. This trend started with Across the Universe and it has only grown from there.

This book was amazing, the love that Jeth felt
Kayla (The Thousand Lives)
Jan 10, 2015 Kayla (The Thousand Lives) rated it it was amazing
And here we have the culprit of my now-two-month-long science fiction obsession: Avalon. When I saw it billed as “for fans of Firefly,” I knew I had found a winner. It had everything I was looking for: space, futuristic technology, crime bosses and heart-of-gold robbers, a wee bit of romance, and a bunch of orphans making a family for themselves. So while Avalon has all the plot devices and character tropes that I can’t get enough of, others may find it annoying and cliché – it all depends on wh ...more
Jeth is a thief, and he’s good at it.
Leader of a gang of teens who work for an extremely powerful man, Jeth is slowly saving his money in hopes of buying back the Avalon – his dead parent’s spaceship, which his uncle lost whilst gambling.
When Jeth is approached by a man claiming to be from the ITA (Interstellar Transport Agency), and offered a deal in which he would get his
Natalie Garside
Teenage space pirate mercenaries take on the same job from the good guys and the bad and head on into the Bermuda triangle of space for the chance to buy back their beloved ship, Avalon from an intergalactic crime boss.

I feel like this story sells itself.

On to fan casting!

Jeth Seagrave - hero, captain, boss, heart of the team.

Could he be Austin Butler? The hair alone could sell me on this.

Lizzie Seagrave - younger sister, optimist, computer hacker, genius.

I basically imagine her as Punky Brewste
Jul 25, 2015 Sandy rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this book. I did enjoy the middle part of the book but I just found myself reading it just to be finished with it. I didn't connect to the characters but I liked the plot and I liked how it ended.
Katie Grace
Feb 24, 2016 Katie Grace rated it really liked it
I liked the first half a lot better than the second half. Rounding it up to a four star read, but it's more like a 3.7 star if you want to get really accurate. xD
Andrew (BritBookBoy)
Feb 27, 2014 Andrew (BritBookBoy) rated it really liked it
I wasn't too sure what to make of this at the start but I ended up really enjoyed this one, especially the second half. Man, did Arnett drop some pretty awesome plot twists in there. Definitely excited for the sequel!
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Firefly? Obvious inspiration. Often fun and amusing, not little character charisma/reader involvement.
Dark Faerie Tales
Dec 21, 2013 Dark Faerie Tales rated it really liked it
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: An action packed novel that is hard to put down, Avalon is perfect for any sci-fi fans.

Opening Sentence: Stealing a spaceship shouldn’t be this easy.

The Review:

Avalon is the story of Jeth, a boy working for a criminal organization, his biggest goal is to buy back his parent’s spaceship Avalon. His parents were killed by the ITA (basically rulers of all known space). When Jeth is given the chance to do a dangerous job and get back the ship as
Giselle (Book Nerd Canada)
An Electronic Advanced Reader Copy was provided by the publisher via Edelweiss for review. Quotes have been pulled from an ARC and may be subject to change.

The beginning was exciting. All the mystery and intrigue of a group of teenage mercenaries and their mission in space? YES sign me up. But after the beginning ended, I was sorely disappointed. It's slow and it dragged on and on. I have no patience for slow plot lines and I need something to hang on to or I will definitely lose interest. This
Tabitha (Pabkins)
3.5 / 5

Rarely a dull moment, Avalon bursts on the scene with a motley crew of teenagers that are actually a seasoned team of thieves working for a notorious crime lord. Now take that and put it into a sci-fi setting with spaceships, ports, high tech, and the the equivalent of a bermuda triangle out there in the black beyond and you’ve got yourself one heck of a thrilling young adult adventure.

Jeth and his team acquire goods (yeah that’s right I’m sugarcoating it) for the crime lord Hammer. He is
Original Link to the review at my blog Le' Grande Codex - here

HAPPY RELEASE DAY!! Presenting Avalon #1 Avalon by Mindee Arnett.

Here is the summary of the book:

Kim (Book Swoon)
Jan 13, 2014 Kim (Book Swoon) rated it liked it
3.5 Stars

Confession: I grew up on shows like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and yes, even Buck Rogers. Movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Star Wars were absorbed by my teenage self like water to a sponge. So yes, I was pretty excited to have the opportunity to read an advance copy of Avalon by Mindee Arnett.

I’m happy to say I enjoyed reading Avalon and liked it’s great sci-fi storyline. I would say that it’s more of an action and adventure driven plot. It’s teen characters have lots of gre

Jan 22, 2014 Rabiah rated it really liked it
Originally posted at:

I was really surprised with how much I enjoyed this one. I didn't know what to expect, and having not read a lot of sci-fi novels, there was not much to go on as I'm not too familiar with the genre conventions either. Anyway, after reading Avalon, I might explore more of this genre! I'm a fan of the Star Trek movies (the new ones... haven't gotten around to seeing the old ones yet!), and this one kind of reminded me of it, so you can
  • Elusion (Elusion, #1)
  • Salvage
  • Scan (Scan, #1)
  • Minders
  • Talker 25 (Talker 25, #1)
  • Extraction (Extraction, #1)
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • House of Ivy & Sorrow
  • Dissonance (Dissonance, #1)
  • Chasing Before (The Memory Chronicles, #2)
  • Burn Out (Burn Out, #1)
  • Illusive (Illusive, #1)
  • Take Back the Skies (Tellus, #1)
  • Tin Star (Tin Star, #1)
  • White Space (Dark Passages, #1)
  • Plus One
  • The Lure
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
YA Author of THE NIGHTMARE AFFAIR, a contemporary fantasy coming March 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan) and AVALON, a YA sci-fi thriller coming Winter 2014 from Balzer+Bray (HarperCollins). Represented by the fabulous Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary. Addicted to jumping horses and telling tales of magic, the macabre, and outer space.
More about Mindee Arnett...

Avalon (2 books)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)

“Stealing a spaceship shouldn't be this easy.” 8 likes
“He didn't know if it was real, if freedom was something you could earn or win after a long, hard fight, or if it was just an illusion. But he decided it didn't matter. Only this mattered. This moment right here, surrounded by the people he cared about. And he realized this was the paradise his parents had meant when they named this ship.” 7 likes