Start by marking “Avalon (Avalon, #1)” as Want to Read:
Avalon (Avalon, #1)

Avalon

(Avalon #1)

Of the various star systems that make up the Confederation, most lie thousands of light-years from First Earth-and out here, no one is free. The agencies that govern the Confederation are as corrupt as the crime bosses who patrol it, and power is held by anyone with enough greed and ruthlessness to claim it. That power is derived from one thing: metatech, the devices that ...more
Published January 21st 2014 by Balzer & Bray

YA Novels of 2014
1,544 books — 9,143 voters
City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareThe Blood of Olympus by Rick RiordanThe One by Kiera CassCress by Marissa MeyerDreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor
Can't Wait Books of 2014
2,428 books — 15,730 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies

This is Firefly fanfiction under different names.

Boy, they weren't kidding when the summary of the book said it is "a great match for fans of Joss Whedon's cult hit show Firefly." There are a tremendous amount of similarities, for one, the plot: a ragtag crew of mercenaries set out into space on a beloved spaceship, only to rescue some siblings on the run---one of whom has a secret. If you have watched the show, you will be able to make a very exact hypothesis regarding the secret. There will be
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

I think Avalon is the first book in quite a while that has made me feel really disappointed. Sure, I’ve read some bad books lately but none of those had I expected to turn out to be crazy brilliant reads; therefore not resulting me into being disappointed. However, I had thought Avalon would be a crazy brilliant read. I mean honestly, teenage mercenaries in space? HELLZ YEAH! The word disappointed may be overused yet it’s the only word that can describe what
Blythe
Actual rating is 3.5 stars - was initially conflicted about this, but since the first half would have amounted to about 2.5 stars, and the second half 4, it evened out to 3.5 stars total.

I have two confessions: one, I am generally not a fan of space operas and novels of the like, so I wasn't sure whether or not I would like Avalon, and two, I have never seen an episode of Firefly. Not one. So I pretty much went into Avalon blind as to exactly what kind of book it would be, since I could probabl
Alyssa

Book One of the Avalon series
Publisher: Balzer + Bray
Publication Date: January 21, 2014
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

A ragtag group of teenage mercenaries who crew the spaceship Avalon stumble upon a conspiracy that could threaten the entire galaxy in this fascinating and fast-paced sci-fi adventure from author Mindee Arnett.

Of the various star systems that make up the Confederation,
Faye, la Patata
When I first read The Nightmare Affair, I instantly became a fan of the author. I enjoyed the storyline, the writing, the humor and the pace in that particular paranormal book, and that's rare coming from me because I rank PNR very low in my preferred genres. Finding out Ms Arnett was going to write a Science Fiction complete with spaceships and interstellar travel psyched me up big time, especially since I favor that the most. If Mindee Arnett was able to hook me line and sinker with a PNR read ...more
Lindsay Cummings
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I FREAKING LOVED IT!! sooo good. awesome unique scifi story, totally perfect for fans of Firefly. amazing characters, awesome plot twists, and I spent 2 nights up in a row reading it. I'm obsessed with it! :)
Karen’s Library
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Decent sci-fi read reminiscent of Firefly but without all the great wiseass remarks. I enjoyed the reveals and twists and look forward to seeing how it all ends up!
Elizabeth Norris
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Mindee Arnett is an amazing writer.

FIREFLY fans, trust me, you will not be able to read this fast enough.
Annie
I'm going to throw eloquence out the window in favor of adapting a slang term for my own reviewing purposes: DAT COVER.  I don't even know what that thing is on top, but it's fabulous.  When I first saw this book, I didn't even care what it was about.  I just knew I needed to get my hands on this beautiful piece of art.  Then I read the description, and I needed it even more badly.

I love how the description calls this "a great match for fans of Firefly".  It should be more like "this book is b
⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess)
Well that was one fast paced and exciting book! What a ride, I loved it!!

I had this on my tbr for quite a while and went into not really knowing what to expect - but I for sure didn't expect this. I've barely read a book as action packed as Avalon, and I loved it! I loved the pacing of the story, there was always something going on, and omg these PLOT TWISTS! I didn't see half of them coming! This book managed to surprise me several times and that's something I'm looking for in a book.
Crystal
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
Sci-Fi books are always a challenge for me. I usually like them, but picking them up is never easy for some reason. I'm guessing it might be due to all the strange tech and worlds that always seem to be in each novel, but usually when I do pick one up I am quite satisfied and surprised at how much I truly do like this genre. Avalon not only held true to this, but it turned out to be one of my favorites among all the other Sci-Fi books on my shelf.

Jeth is a thief, but he is one of the best thieve
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this! It was like Firefly, Pandorum, and all the Star Treks mixed into a book of awesomeness!!!! I can't wait for book 2 :)
Sara (Freadom Library)
Actual rating 4.5 stars

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Check out my series review here: https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/...

Critically
Plot – 4.5 out of 5 stars
action packed, mystery, suspense, minimal romance, themes of family and friendship, plot twists galore, but there was something missing, not 100% sold

Writing Style – 4 out of 5 stars
engaging, entertaining, fast paced, detailed, descriptive, sometime confusing when describing the space travel an
Debbie Narh
good

2.5 Stars

I have always had a hard time with sci-fi novels, and this one is no different. The book starts off beautifully and kept my attention, but during the middle, the whole story falters and becomes very boring. This also happens for most, if not all of the characters. Their sneaky ways come to a screeching halt, and they are so bland that I would've rather eat original oatmeal. And I hate original oatmeal.

The Malleus Shades are known as one of the best thieves in the galaxy, but all I p
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review appears on Happy Indulgence. Check it out for more reviews!

Looking for a great sci-fi YA novel but haven’t found it yet? Avalon is the space adventure you’ve been looking for. With space ships, metatech, sci-fi technology, galactic stops and an ultimate villain, I thoroughly enjoyed Avalon for my sci-fi fix.

Jeth Seagrave and his crew work for Hammer, a boss as unscrupulous as they come, because all he wants is to earn his parents’ ship back. The crew is sent away to Belgrave, to find
Jon
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Check out Scott Reads It!
I really had no idea what to expect from Avalon because it was compared to Firefly and I hadn't seen the show yet. After watching a few episodes of Firefly, I realized that Avalon's plot is extremely similar to Firefly's and that so many of the characters from Avalon bear an uncanny resemblance to those from Joss Whedon's popular TV show. I definitely think that fans will enjoy this novel, despite the immense similarities to Firefly.

Avalon starts off strong with an e
Lindsay
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Faster than light travel through metaspace by drives or gates has allowed humanity to spread through space. However, the metaspace technology is controlled by the ruthless and tyrannical Interstellar Transport Authority (ITA) whose cruel practices have made a fertile ground for criminal organizations. A young crew of spaceship thieves led by Jeth Seagrave works for the crime boss Hammer Dafoe. Jeth hopes to one day afford to buy back his parent's spaceship Avalon from Dafoe and works towards tha ...more
gabi
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
So…this was really cool. I just wasn’t as into it at the beginning, because it took awhile to really get going. Also, some things were just too simple and easy.

Almost all the star systems is under the control of the agencies of the Confederation. It is they who control metatech the devices that allow people to travel great distances in a short amount of time. It is what the star systems have come to rely on to survive. And it is one of the main reasons that the agencies are so corrupt. Jethro Se
Kayla (The Thousand Lives)
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
And here we have the culprit of my now-two-month-long science fiction obsession: Avalon. When I saw it billed as “for fans of Firefly,” I knew I had found a winner. It had everything I was looking for: space, futuristic technology, crime bosses and heart-of-gold robbers, a wee bit of romance, and a bunch of orphans making a family for themselves. So while Avalon has all the plot devices and character tropes that I can’t get enough of, others may find it annoying and cliché – it all depends on wh ...more
Sarah Elizabeth
Oct 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jeth is a thief, and he’s good at it.
Leader of a gang of teens who work for an extremely powerful man, Jeth is slowly saving his money in hopes of buying back the Avalon – his dead parent’s spaceship, which his uncle lost whilst gambling.
When Jeth is approached by a man claiming to be from the ITA (Interstellar Transport Agency), and offered a deal in which he would get his
Natalie Garside
Teenage space pirate mercenaries take on the same job from the good guys and the bad and head on into the Bermuda triangle of space for the chance to buy back their beloved ship, Avalon from an intergalactic crime boss.

I feel like this story sells itself.

On to fan casting!

Jeth Seagrave - hero, captain, boss, heart of the team.

Could he be Austin Butler? The hair alone could sell me on this.

Lizzie Seagrave - younger sister, optimist, computer hacker, genius.

I basically imagine her as Punky Brewste
Lainey
Mar 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I really loved this book. I've recently been getting more into the YA SciFi genre and really interested in space and this book was a great great introduction to the galaxy aspect. This book follows Jeth Seagrave who is the leader of a heist team. Him and his crew work for one of the biggest and most dangerous crime lords in the universe. They steal spaceships and the technology that is inside of them - metadrives. Of course, there is one job, that changes everything.

Jeth was an incredible h
Andrew (BritBookBoy)
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I wasn't too sure what to make of this at the start but I ended up really enjoyed this one, especially the second half. Man, did Arnett drop some pretty awesome plot twists in there. Definitely excited for the sequel!
Sandy
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was ok
I didn't really like this book. I did enjoy the middle part of the book but I just found myself reading it just to be finished with it. I didn't connect to the characters but I liked the plot and I liked how it ended.
Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews)
Firefly? Obvious inspiration. Often fun and amusing, not little character charisma/reader involvement.
Alex B.
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Holy Mother OF JETHRO. Yes, Mindee, Yes
Kend
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction

Okay, let’s face it: other people have done a fantastic job in reviewing this book, and in unpicking the tightly threaded parallels to Joss Whedon’s Firefly + Serenity universe.  All you have to do is scroll through the reviews on Goodreads to find both excellent plot and character deconstructions.  I won’t even touch that, but I’d like to address another element of the book’s appeal: how it fits into the ever-broadening scope of Young Adult literature.

The five complaints I hear most often about

Kimberly (Book Swoon)
3.5 Stars

Confession: I grew up on shows like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, and yes, even Buck Rogers. Movies like 2001: A Space Odyssey and Star Wars were absorbed by my teenage self like water to a sponge. So yes,  I was pretty excited to have the opportunity to read an advance copy of Avalon by Mindee Arnett.

I’m happy to say I enjoyed reading Avalon and liked it’s great sci-fi storyline. I would say that it’s more of an action and adventure driven plot. It’s teen characters have lots of

Aparajitabasu
Original Link to the review at my blog Le' Grande Codex - here

HAPPY RELEASE DAY!! Presenting Avalon #1 Avalon by Mindee Arnett.

Here is the summary of the book:

Bayram F
Actual rating: 4.5

Release Date: January 21, 2014
Publisher: Balzer and Bray
Page Count: 432
Genre: Sci-Fi/YA

I was really really excited to read Avalon when I found out about it and since it had come out two weeks prior I immediately bought it. It completely lived up to my expectations and I enjoyed every single second of this sci-fi book about space mercenaries. People have compared Avalon to the TV show Firefly but I can't judge anything about that since I have not seen that show, however if it is

• Salvage (Salvage #1)
  • Riverkeep
  • Blackout (Blackout, #1)
  • The Leveller (The Leveller, #1)
  • Vortex (Insignia, #2)
  • Of Metal and Wishes (Of Metal and Wishes, #1)
  • Catalyst (Insignia, #3)
  • A Wicked Thing (A Wicked Thing, #1)
  • Origins (Summoner, #0.5)
  • Pulse (Pulse, #1)
  • Skyborn (Seraphim, #1)
  • Renegade (MILA 2.0, #2)
  • Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: Book 7-- A Detailed Summary About This Book Of J.K. Rowling! And Much More!! (Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows: ... Book 7, Paperback,Novel,Dvd,Movie,Summary)
  • The Heroes of Olympus Books 1-4 CD Audiobook Bundle (The Heroes of Olympus, #1-4)
  • Harry Potter And The Order Of Phoenix: A Summary About This Novel Of J.K Rowling!! (Harry Potter And The Order Of Phoenix: A Detailed Summary-- Book 5, Box Set, Novel, Rowling)
  • Tales of the Slayer: Tales of the Slayer; Tales of the Slayer, Vol. II
  • Dark Tracks (Order of Darkness, #4)
  • Academy 7
YA Author of THE NIGHTMARE AFFAIR, a contemporary fantasy coming March 5, 2013 from Tor Teen (Macmillan) and AVALON, a YA sci-fi thriller coming Winter 2014 from Balzer+Bray (HarperCollins). Represented by the fabulous Suzie Townsend of New Leaf Literary. Addicted to jumping horses and telling tales of magic, the macabre, and outer space.

Avalon (2 books)
  • Polaris (Avalon, #2)

News & Interviews

“Stealing a spaceship shouldn't be this easy.” 9 likes
“He didn't know if it was real, if freedom was something you could earn or win after a long, hard fight, or if it was just an illusion. But he decided it didn't matter. Only this mattered. This moment right here, surrounded by the people he cared about. And he realized this was the paradise his parents had meant when they named this ship.” 8 likes