Start by marking “Minnie's Diner: A Multiplying Menu” as Want to Read:
Minnie's Diner: A Multiplying Menu

Minnie's Diner: A Multiplying Menu

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  123 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
"The concept of doubling goes down easy in this combination of multiplication facts, rhyme, humor — and diner food." — THE HORN BOOK

Down on the farm one morning, Papa McFay orders his sons to hop to their chores. But from Minnie’s kitchen wafts a smell that gets the boys itchin’, and one by one, they succumb to the call of that sweet aroma. Each brother arrives at Minnie’s
Published July 10th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Minnie's Diner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minnie's Diner

Kalisha Mohammed
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Prior to reading this book, I will explore the idea of double with my students to ensure that the concept of double as an exact replication of a set is understood. I will illustrate this by having several different sets of items and asking my students to “Make it a double!” by creating another set exactly the same and then adding them together to get the double. For example: “Here are 4 dinosaurs. Make it a double! That’s right 4 more so we write 4 + 4 and double 4 is 8 so we write 4 + 4 = 8.”Ne ...more
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stared-books
Very good! Amazing actually!!! This book is great for kids just starting out learning multiply because it is fun and your kids can read along as well! Perfect for early learners and for anyone too.
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a story of counting and multiplication. The story itself is fun, and makes logical sense, that each kid is getting double the amount of his little brother. I like the way how John handles characters. The father never show up i the first few pages, we saw his giant shadow, and immdediately was imagining the size of their father. While his show up at the end of the book makes it totally a hoot.

This book would work very well for the purpose of teaching simp,e meth. While a small concern is
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: skylar
Loved this multiplying book! great read for young children .
Rebecca Tversky
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
This is the new favorite at our house - fun and silly, with math involved.
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: skylars-shelf
Cute multiplication story.
An introduction to multiplication, this picture book is based on a simple concept: each of five brothers, twice as large as the next younger one, place an order at Minnie's Diner doubling that of the next younger sibling. The drawings are colorful and cartoonish, but the simple, silly story is fairly forgettable. Still, children will swallow the basic multiplication table presented here while enjoying the humorous visuals. For ages 4-7."

CIP: "Rhyming tale of five boys and their father who forget
Mandy J. Hoffman
Apr 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
This book is hysterical and so much fun to read!

It is a short but fun story about 5 brothers who live on a farm. There father tells them they can't stop to eat until the chores are done. But one-by-one they smell the delicious food from Minnie's Diner and one-by-one they wander down to the diner for some food. The menu multiplies as each brother goes to eat.

Minnie's Diner is not only a funny story with funny pictures, too, but my kids enjoyed the little bit of math that is worked into this tale.
Shani Cooper
This story helps readers understand the foundation for multiplication. A teacher could play a multiplication game after reading this story to their students. The following game was introduced by my professor, Dr. Smith. The multiplication game requires two student volunteers. The two students cannot look at their cards but show them to the rest of the class. The class tells them what the product of the two numbers are. The students face each other and have to guess their number. The student that ...more
Hend Alalwani
Feb 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Age Rang: 5-8
Personal reaction:
-I like this book because it makes children learn about the double concept. The pictures are amazing, and those pictures describe the story very well. However, I do not like it because it is poor in vocabulary. They use simple word like “ big sniff, hungry, and taste good.”

-Read aloud for children from age five to eight.
-Discuss with the children the double concept. Also, this book would be a good resource for introduction to multiplication concept.

The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
A story in counting and multiplication. Papa McFlay has many sons who help him out on the farm. Today he declares that no one will get to eat anything until their chores are done, but one by one the boys head to Minnie's Diner for a quick bit. Every time a new son shows up he orders twice what the earlier brother order.

Illustrations are really fun!
Jennifer Bryant
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fun book that gets multiplication involved. Kids can laugh along with the humor, yet can also answer math questions throughout the book. The concept of doubling is the focus. This book is also a great read along. Fun rhythm.
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
I would use this book to teach multiplication. It vividly shows students multiplication doubles facts and allows students to see the concept through clever rhymes and easily understandable words. This book would be great to introduce multiplication to 2nd grade.
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining tale that teaches about the power of doubling, or in other words the exponential growth of two. The narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are very humorous. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Hye Eun
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
Farm boys get hungry and every time each boy goes into the diner, he wants double of that. So 1 times 2 equals 2. Then when you double that, you get 4 then 8, and 16. This book would be good for teaching multiplication. I could have students act out the story using counters as food. Grade 2-3
Apr 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Not a bad introduction to the basics of multiplying by two or doubling. The preschoolers enjoyed the rhyme but the higher math but have been lost on them. They were simply understood that the bigger the brother the more food. The illustrations were cartoonish but clear.
Jul 17, 2012 added it
Great story to demonstrate multiplication and doubling. I would use this story in the classroom by reading it first and then allowing the students to act it out to see if they came up with the same results as the book. This is great way to have fun with a difficult concept.
Rachel Deboer
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This was a cute book that is both fun and educational.
Naomi Blackburn
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Another kind of math book. This one on multiplication. The illustrations made this fun learning. Still I found it to be just ok. While cute, it didn't have that wow factor.
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This silly tale about doubling had me chuckling as I read. This would be a great lead into a lesson about multiplication patterns or using known facts to solve more difficult problems.
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Will definitely be using this one next year when we start learning doubles!
Thanks Ms. Lehman!
Feb 08, 2013 rated it liked it
I felt this was more about doubling numbers than multiplication per se, so the title is a bit misleading.
Hayley Imbler
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I feel that this book taught the concept of doubling in a fun way! It would be a really good introduction to doubling in a math lesson, or just to read at home!
Sharlene Spencer
Nov 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book has comical illustrations and a singsong rhythm. A humorous lesson in multiplication.
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Multiplication book with doubles
Lauren Hahn
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: information, math
Rhyming book for multiplication. Would be fun to introduce exponents because of the doubling. Makes me think of the double the penny every day for a year activity.
Jan 27, 2015
Oku Dotwana
Jul 27, 2015
Dec 15, 2013
Feb 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dayle Ann Dodds is the author of numerous picture books for children, including THE SHAPE OF THINGS, TEACHER'S PETS, THE GREAT DIVIDE: A MATHEMATICAL MARATHON, and MINNIE'S DINER: A MULTIPLYING MENU. A former elementary school teacher, she lives in Carmel Valley, California.
More about Dayle Ann Dodds...