Start by marking “Stella Makes Good” as Want to Read:
Stella Makes Good

Stella Makes Good

Can mother-of-two, Stella forge a new life for herself after the end of her marriage? A funny and insightful novel about love, friendship and the quest for happiness.
Published January 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Stella Makes Good, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stella Makes Good

Start your review of Stella Makes Good
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
In the northern suburbs of Sydney, three friends Stella, Carly and Jesse are having a quiet drink. Stella, amicably separated with two teenagers has her eye on handsome single dad, Doctor Mike, while (married) Carly has had too much to drink and is flirting outrageously with one of Mike’s friends. When Jesse heads home early to relieve the babysitter of her twins because her husband calls to say he is working late, Stella reluctantly follows Carly to a party with Mike and his mates but the women ...more
Lizzy Chandler
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who enjoyed Christine Stinson's Getting Even With Fran.
I can count on one hand the number of Chick Lit or contemporary women's fiction I've read that hasn't been written by friends, so I wasn't sure what to expect from this novel. That said, I found myself quickly swept up into the world Heidke created and caring about her characters' fates.

Although it is ostensibly Stella's story, it is actually an ensemble piece, tracking the lives of Stella, her friends and their families. While Stella is the most well adjusted - despite being faced with, initial
Marianne
Nov 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From an advance uncorrected proof copy
Stella Makes Good is the 4th novel by Australian author, Lisa Heidke. Stella Sparks, librarian and mum of two teens, is amicably separated from her husband Terry, even though he left her for the voluptuous Amanda. They remain friends, both caring about their kids, and Stella even looks out for Terry’s mum, June. Stella’s closest friends, Jesse, another librarian, and Carly, a stay-at-home mum, wish they were as together as Stella seems to be. But Jesse’s hu
Bree T
Stella and her ex-husband Terry are on excellent terms, even though they’re separated and Terry is now living with another woman. Stella is philosophical – their marriage had run its course, they had realised they had nothing to talk about with each other once their children were removed from the equation. She’s happy to maintain a friendly and communicative relationship with him, encouraging her children to visit him, even though they aren’t too happy that Dad is shacked up with another woman. ...more
Lauren K
Stella Makes Good is contemporary women’s fiction set in Sydney’s northern suburbs. Stella Sparks is the mother of two kids, recently separated from her husband, Terry who has just moved in with a younger woman. Stella is not bitter about the divorce and is happy looking after the kids, caring for the mother-in-law, hanging out with her two friends Carly and Jesse, working in the local library and dodging dates with the good-looking doctor Mike from her son’s school.

Carly is a partier,
Stephanie Ward
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways, australia
What fun to read a book about...
a) likeable characters (I want to be best friends with Stella and, if he wasn't interested in my new BFF, date Mike),
b) familiar territory (North Shore Sydney is like my backyard being that I live in Sydney CBD), and
c) contemporary antics (lots of coffee and wine drinking as well as modern day mom/womens issues).

Stella Makes Good is the story of three friends, Stella, Carly and Jesse, and their respective families. Each has their own struggles, but they stick t
Robin Riedstra
May 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I love about Stella Makes Good is that it is Chick Lit (I do not use that term in a disparaging way, I happen to think there is nothing wrong with reading or writing stories for women and am a little bit "shame on you" about people who think there is something bad about that), that has an older female lead. It isn't your standard mid 20's woman coming to terms with finding her way for the first time, it is an older woman who thinks she has lost everything and then gets her groove back.

I do
Chel
Jul 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
where do i start? well I like most of the characters, a lot, that's why I want to know them more and have a more thorough view of their story. But, reading this book is like watching a movie teaser. It won't give you the whole events and backstories, only the highlights. Sometimes its convenient cause i won't have to endure a very long ramblings of one of the characters, but most of the time, its unsatisfying.
In short, I would really like it to have more of its individual story going on especial
Stacey Taylor
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and managed to read it in virtually one sitting! Lisa described the characters in such a way that you felt real emotions for them as if they were a real person; someone you knew. I fell in love with Stella and envied the way she dealt with the recent separation with her partner Terry, I felt pity for Jesse and despised her husband Steve (especially after the climax of their story! What kind of man enjoys wearing a nappy and a dog collar?!) I really enjoyed how there we ...more
Carrie
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was very fun, entertaining Chick Lit. It tells the story of three Australian women who are there to support each other through problem marriages and other issues.

I enjoyed this story and I look forward to reading others by the same author!

(I won this book on First Reads. Thanks, Goodreads!)
Matthew Morgan
Mar 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-read
I quite enjoyed this book, it's not what I would usually read but the humour and situations presented kept me reading.

I'd defineatley reccomend this to anyone who like chick-lit, chick humour.

(Won through first-reads)
Janine
A better read than I thought it would be.
Kate and Carson Drew
The latest book from Lisa Heidke, with each passing book she gets better and better I do urge any reader to read all her books you will fall in love with them .
Juanita Kees
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'm a Heidke fan... review to follow soon. ...more
Nicki
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though it wasn't entirely believable (2 hot doctors all over a pair of housewives, one of whom has a drinking problem, oh please), this is an easy to read book that does draw you in.
Though I couldn't quite believe the Steve storyline, it certainly was a unique twist I don't think I've read in a chick lit before. Ugh. I couldn't stand the man!
The females were well written. Stella was maybe too good to be true with her forgiveness and acceptance of Terry, but that's the worst I could say. I real
Lyndee
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through goodreads first reads a few months ago and only just got around to reading it. Man was I shocked! A brilliant book that is certainly not what you expect! There were twists and turns around every corner and I loved this book from start to finish! Beautiful plot development and intriguing, well formed characters. Add this book to your to read list! You will not be disappointed!!
gemsbooknook  Geramie Kate Barker
Won this Through Goodreads First Read.
I really enjoyed this book. It was fun and witty. The characters were well developed and easy to relate to. Really well written book. Glad I got the chance to read this one..
Shelley Kowalski
Jan 28, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Would have given it 0 stars if I could! Awful!
Amy

• Tell Me Three Things
  • Because You're Mine
  • Untitled Summer 2020
  • Sunset Beach
After growing up in Brisbane, I ran away to Sydney, via London, and worked in book and magazine publishing. After many years living in the inner west, I was surprised one morning to wake up and find myself married with three children and living on the North Shore.

I’m not one of those people who’ve always wanted to write a novel...okay, I am one of those people. But it wasn’t until a few years ago