Start by marking “Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong” as Want to Read:
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong

Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  2,345 Ratings  ·  202 Reviews
The basis for the upcoming major motion picture The Program directed by Stephen Frears (High Fidelity, The Queen, Philomena), starring Chris O'Dowd as journalist David Walsh and Ben Foster as Lance Armstrong.

When Lance Armstrong won his first Tour de France in 1999, the sports world had found a charismatic new idol. Journalist David Walsh was among a small group covering t
Published December 13th 2012 by Atria Books (first published November 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Deadly Sins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Deadly Sins

Catherine Howard
(3.5 stars, Kindle)

Having not known what a peloton was a few months ago (and having never watched a minute's worth of cycling before the Olympics), the Lance Armstrong doping scandal has had me on a bit of a Tour de France/professional cycling book binge of late, and SEVEN DEADLY SINS by David Walsh, one of two Irish journalists (the other being Paul Kimmage) who refused to buy the Armstrong fairytale, is my latest.

The problem with this book is that, while fascinating, its writing was obviously
Bob Mayer
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally. The crazy man has been exposed. He's not just crazy, he destroyed people's lives. I did a blog post about six months ago suggesting Lance Armstrong wasn't exactly a saint and got savaged so badly in the comments section, I withdrew the blog.

It would be just bad if he only affected himself. But he hurt many people. He accused people of things that weren't true while lying through his teeth.

What is interesting is Walsh's motivation for getting started on Lance-- his own personal trauma an
Stephen Huntley
Jan 23, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Infuriating book. I was keen on it, given the positive reviews, but the first time I tried to wade through it I managed to page 115 and gave up. I felt it had been mis-sold; rather than a revelatory investigative piece on Armstrong it was a yawn-fest of an autobiography on a weak and untalented writer who clearly saw himself as some campaigning vigilante super-hero who was far superior in ability, ethics, personality and clean-living than any other journalist alive. Having just read the superb T ...more
Marykay Pogar
Jun 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really hard to follow and given to sudden,inappropriately inserted moments of snark. Not worth reading unless you'd rather know more about why David Walsh is the bravest, most fearless sportswriter ever than how Lance Armstrong's doping was finally exposed.
John Martin
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The media needs people like David Walsh to keep the bastards honest. Lance Armstrong did not just commit sports biggest fraud, he used spin, lies, charm and marshmallow-soft people in the media and officialdom to destroy people. The whole episode was sickening. Walsh was like a dog with a bone, frustrated by a legal system that worked against him, but refusing to be muzzled and refusing to give up his bone. He only had to think back to the words of his late young son for inspiration. His son dar ...more
Alaina
Apr 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
The obvious first: this book needs more editing. It has extensive grammar problems, including missing commas and tense shifts, that make it somewhat hard to read. That, combined with the slow start, almost made me give up. I'm glad I stuck with it though. The story picks up after the first few chapters, and once I was involved in the story the grammar didn't bother me as much.

As someone who became interested in cycling primarily because of Lance, I was shocked reading this book to realize how mu
Jack
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport, non-fiction
David Walsh at his angry best. He brings up to date his tale of the vendetta waged against himself and Paul Kimmage by Armstrong until their vindication in 2012. A very honest account of an extraordinary investigation, giving full recognition to all those who did not believe the Armstrong myth that suckered so many people.

This would be a five star review but for two things.

First, it lacks an index which is a major no-no for a non-fiction book.

Second, Walsh has a much better book on the same su
Nichiless Dey
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cycling
David Walsh's Sisyphus has finally emerged victorious over his eternal struggle with the boulder - half man, half media - named Lance Armstrong. Beautifully written, shocking, occasionally heartbreaking, often resulting in the 'ah, of course, now that makes sense' sigh, and a vindication, indeed beacon of hope, to all real journalists eking a living out there in the nether world that professional sport has become. Ask the questions that demand asking, without fear. Cycling is a truly great sport ...more
Georgie
Sep 07, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographical
This is definitely not what it seems. I was expecting a Lance Armstrong biography-style book with focus on doping and his outrageous behavior. Unfortunately, it's more of an autobiography of the journalist author and poorly written. I gave up after 250 pages because I saw no improvement unfortunately.
Luana
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Professional cycling has always exercised an "omerta" and it has played a significant role in the endurance of a drug culture. But more than a code of silence is at work here and it is not coincidental that the Sicilian word has become so associated with the peloton, because when a rider breaks the code, he can expect a mafia-like response."

Questo libro ruota attorno alla ricostruzione di una, se non della, frode sportiva più clamorosa della storia. David Walsh è un giornalista irlandese, grand
Roger
Oct 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
David Walsh, or the "little Troll" as he was referred to by Lance Armstrong, has written quite a bit on both Armstrong and doping in sport - famously, he co-authored L.A. Confidentiel, which in 2004 laid out the doping case against Armstrong pretty much as has been admitted by him early this year (after both the authors and sources of that book suffered legal harassment from Armstrong for years).

Seven Deadly Sins is a more personal work by Walsh, and is the story of his journey to prove that Arm
Rachel72
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fic, sport
This was really interesting, and Walsh is an engaging writer. It's not just an account of a couple of journalists' determination to expose doping in sport, but a sobering illustration of the power of the popular image of some sporting heroes. I knew little about what led to Armstrong's eventual exposure other than what had been reported in the mainstream media here, nor did I have any appreciation of how much courage it took for those who did speak out in the face of serious obstacles. At times ...more
Alan Hamilton
Jun 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic book and a truly rivetting read, even if you know nothing about cycling.
It presents the author's lengthy pursuit of Armstrong in fine, very readable detail and confirms Armstrong as a cheat and a liar long before the US Doping Agency case. It describes the lengths that powerful people go to to suppress the truth and how easy it is for lawyers to silence the 'trolls'.....especially in the UK.
It normally takes me a few weeks to read a book, but I got through this one in a coupl
Steph
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nbhs, read-2016
An entertaining read, following Walsh's investigative journey into Lance Armstrong's Tour de France success. I felt I was in trusted hands with David Walsh's journalism background and found myself at different times amused and appalled. I want to give this book to everyone who thinks that just because athletes pass their drugs tests that means they're not cheating.

After finishing the book I went and checked out Armstrong's twitter profile. I was pretty sickened to see that he still has "7 X TdF
Fran
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Walsh's fascinating account into one of the biggest sporting frauds ever is never anything less than fascinating. Lance Armstrong whose biography I devoured long ago will forever be a source of disappointment but after reading this, which details all the bullying, the lies and his horrible attitude towards fellow riders and the press, I realise that I got off very lightly. David Walsh who was always mocked for not believing deserves eternal credit for sticking to his guns and my thanks go ...more
Ankur Maniar
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good book written in a witty style by a journalist who was good enough not to loose his senses for thirteen years while the Lance Armstrong saga unfolded. David Walsh comes across as a genuine sports lover and especially a die hard cycling fan.. The investigation and the perseverance shown by him is extremely commendable. He is quite candid about his personal life during this time and shows us how a journalist with integrity has to work against all odds. Your impressions about Lance Armst ...more
Rob
Mar 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a disappointment. David Walsh has a point when he claims sports journalists are often 'fans with a typewriter'. There definitely is a need for a more critical approach.

Walsh is a critical investigator, but unfortunately he retains the style of a sports writer. Rather unstructured, elaborate and heroic prose. In this case the hero is Walsh himself.

Walsh only sings one theme, and has filled at least three books with it.

Not the ultimate book on modern cycling, that would be Tyler Hamilton
Jen Welch
Excellent investigative journalism and written in an engaging way. The structure fell over a bit though. It had the feeling of being rushed to publish Owen the story broke and that the well written parts were a rehash of his previous book. It still paints a picture of how rife doping was and the extent of the lies that had to be told. It is great that the author pursued the truth to a point, although it seems his obsession was almost to the point of stalking.
Couldn't put this down. Very compelling story on a number of levels and reveals a little of what it is like to be a sports journalist. Some of the writing could be tightened up, but this is a mix between the author's very personal story and the Lance Armstrong story.
Tracey Redmond
Apr 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The rise and fall of Lance Armstrong. Whats not to love! If you love cycling books (warts and all!) this ones for you.
Robert
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One if best sports books ever read. Reading it after event and story came out how did he ever get away with it!!
Journalism at its best
Tom
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Incredible summary of Lance Armstrong and the doping that tainted the tour de France in what was supposed to be a drug free tour post 1999. Walsh first met Armstrong in 1993 and was one of the few journalists who didn't turn a blind eye to what should have been apparent to anyone with a proper understanding of cycling; the culture of doping in cycling was continuing with Armstrong its driving force. Walsh struggled to get the truth out there for thirteen years and fell foul of Armstrong's bullyi ...more
Andrew Roberts
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport
An important, interesting and complex story that is told in a way that is disappointing in its lack of structure, references and overall clarity: all the more surprising from a journalist. It feels like the publication of this book was rushed after the USADA verdict, and there are many questions left unanswered at the time of writing, the biggest one being the state of cycling (i.e. cleanliness) post-Lance.
On the positive side, hearing from an Armstrong skeptic who held that position all along,
Dan Cohen
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sport

This is an excellent book. It's not just that the story (primarily, Walsh's pursuit of the truth about Lance Armstrong's performances and how they were achieved through doping) is good. It's also that the writing is good. And lastly, the way that the author puts just the right amount of himself into the book, whilst ensuring that some of the key characters (the Andreus, the Lemonds, Emma O'Reilly, Steven Swart, Floyd Landis, Paul Kimmage, and other journalists and campaigners against doping) and
Sandie Buto
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, cycling
The hardest rock to swallow is not that Lance doped, but that he was so immoral and aggressive in trying to prevent others from sharing their truth. Did that part of him come from wanting to win or was it there all along? He left a lot of bodies in his wake- I hope that if he ever has regrets of what he has done to the sport of cycling, he was also consider what he has done to the others that loved the sport as he did.
Jill
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the journalist that would not give up on the Armstrong story even though his newspaper lost a libel case against him.

Hearing all about it from his side, realizing how many years this spanned, and giggling at his very Irish sense of humor was great.
Andrew McCarthy
An odd book with weird tangential tales. Interesting to read how the investigation came together but needed to read less about the journalist.
tommycarroll
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant read.

The relentless pursuit of the truth by author is finally rewarded in the end . Investigative journalism at its best. The truth will out in the end.
Malcolm
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sad book for everyone involved but all credit to David Walsh for determination to find the truth. If you want to know the facts this is the book!
Nadia Hanif
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
uncover the truth, recommended!
  • Racing Through the Dark
  • How I Won the Yellow Jumper: Dispatches from the Tour de France
  • A Race for Madmen: The History of the Tour de France
  • The Climb: The Autobiography
  • We Were Young and Carefree: The Autobiography of Laurent Fignon
  • The Secret Race: Inside the Hidden World of the Tour de France: Doping, Cover-ups, and Winning at All Costs
  • Cycle of Lies: The Fall of Lance Armstrong
  • Boy Racer: My Journey to Tour de France Record-Breaker
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • Eddy Merckx: The Cannibal
  • The World of Cycling According to G
  • 23 Days in July: Inside the Tour de France and Lance Armstrong's Record-Breaking Victory
  • Riis
“There are only two types of people in Ireland... Those who watch The Late Late Show. And there are those who have been on The Late Late Show.” 2 likes
“The good people sleep much better at night than the bad people. Of course, the bad people enjoy the waking hours much more.” 0 likes