Start by marking “The Secrets of Facilitation: The S.M.A.R.T. Guide to Getting Results with Groups” as Want to Read:

The Secrets of Facilitation delivers a clear vision of facilitation excellence and reveals the specific techniques effective facilitators use to produce consistent, repeatable results with groups. Author Michael Wilkinson has trained thousands of managers, mediators, analysts, and consultants around the world to apply the power of SMART (Structured Meeting And Relating Tec ...more
Published October 29th 2004 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Secrets of Facilitation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secrets of Facilitation

Marsena Adams-Dufresne
Jun 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is practical, well-written, and full of examples from the author's experience as a facilitator. I'm preparing to facilitate a meeting under challenging circumstances and this book was exactly what I needed to prepare. He explains everything from setting an agenda to building consensus to managing dysfunction. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is in a position of leadership...at the very least, it would decrease the number of meetings that are a complete waste of time!
Aleksey Roslyakov
Jun 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The review for the book “The secrets of facilitation. The SMART Guide to Getting Results with Groups”, Michael Wilkinson.
The goal of the book: to provide a reader with the comprehensive tool how to lead a group of people on the meeting to the one agreement supported by everyone.
The book main idea: Effective Decision = Right Decision * Commitment to the decision; so you can achieve more effective results when the solution are created, understood and accepted by the people involved.
The value of th
J. Elise
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: meetings
The simple pneumonics really help make many of the tips memorable and useful in day-to-day practice, and really, the true test of any practitioner's guidebook is whether you can use what you've learned.
Nova
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book. Easy, provides practical tips, and uncovers amazing secrets in the world of facilitation
Duong Tan
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Extremely useful for first-time manager, Facilitators & Coaches.
Straightforward, simple, and practical.
Lisa
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
I came across this book when I was preparing to facilitate a cross functional team trying to solve one of the many business critical issues at my company. Although I had training in Lean Six Sigma process improvement techniques, none of my training had ever covered the practical skills needed by facilitators to successfully lead a session. I read this book in less than two days and it offered many practical tips and techniques that I was able to immediately put into practice at my session today. ...more
Amy
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I read this for class. It started out good, but how in the heck is anybody supposed to remember 60 secrets in facilitation. It was a bit overwhelming and daunting just trying to remember it all. However, there is a chapter about questioning skills. It was brilliant. I need to read that chapter, chapter 2, over and over.

p.s. why doesn't a book like this have a stinkin index?!?
Lindsay
Aug 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm lame and I like to read work-related books in my free time. This one was well worth it though. Facilitation is a really difficult skill to master and I think I will be well on my way after reading this puppy.
Meredith
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
In general I have trouble with books that try to teach "soft" skills. However, The Secrets of Facilitation had some good information, specifically surrounding how to begin a meeting and skilled facilitators'
responses to common questions or statements.
Lauren
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this for a graduate course on group dynamics and found that Wilkinson often repeats himself, as well as states the obvious. Some helpful tips, but certainly not a 5!
Rengin Akkemik
Aug 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
fa-cil-i-tate (fe sil'e tat') Latin. Facilis -- to make easy

Ekip yöneten herkesin mutlaka okuması gereken bir kitap.
Greg
Jun 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Brilliant, step by step walkthrough on how to facilitate any group of people towards a common goal.
Sue
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Practical and easy to read
Ayman Khalil
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
very usefull for all in business people
Heather

• Effective Project Management: Traditional, Agile, Extreme
  • English Grammar Workbook for Dummies
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • Power Presenter
  • Perfect Phrases for Customer Service: Hundreds of Tools, Techniques, and Scripts for Handling Any Situation
  • E-Learning by Design
  • Words that Sell
  • Mastering the American Accent
  • Neuro-Linguistic Programming for Dummies
  • Who Are You?: 101 Ways of Seeing Yourself
  • Overcoming Destructive Beliefs, Feelings, and Behaviors: New Directions for Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Michael Wilkinson, professor of sociology and director of the Religion in Canada Institute at Trinity Western University, is the editor of Canadian Pentecostalism: Transition and Transformation.
“Secret #1 The Fundamental Secret of Facilitation You can achieve more effective results when solutions are created, understood, and accepted by the people impacted.” 0 likes