Start by marking “Chasing God: One Man's Miraculous Journey in the Heart of the City” as Want to Read:
Chasing God: One Man's Miraculous Journey in the Heart of the City

Chasing God: One Man's Miraculous Journey in the Heart of the City

Chasing God  is Roger Huang's gritty, heartfelt story of obedience to God's call to follow Him into the heart of the city. That mission can inspire you!
 Leaving behind his abusive home in Taiwan, Roger  discovered both the American Dream and his French bride, Maite. A dramatic event took place before his very eyes and prompted Roger to rethink his future and his
Published September 1st 2013 by David C Cook

To ask other readers questions about Chasing God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing God

Start your review of Chasing God: One Man's Miraculous Journey in the Heart of the City
Don
Jun 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Book Review of Chasing God by Roger Huang

A compelling story of the authors life to date which begins as he waits naked, in a darkened room with two of his brothers to be savagely beaten by their father. Huang details an amazing account of leaving Taipei for the streets of San Francisco where he leaves his abusive home to live on the streets and make his own way in life. On a rare visit to his the street outside his fathers grocery store, he runs into the young woman who steals his heartand whom
Jeff Smith
Jun 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing book.

This should be a required book for every Christian as it shows how we don't have an excuse for doing the work of the Lord.

Roger Huang and his wife Maite were immigrants who had such a heart for the poor and homeless community in San Francisco.

The book shows an interesting journey of one man who came from a broken and rough family situation to loving God. In the process of serving God, he didn't have the perfect life as he still suffered from the childhood pains but God used
Heather Fineisen
This was an uplifting story of man finds a greater purpose one day and does much good. Roger Huang has set up ministry in the Tenderloin in San Francisco, a rough and tough place. Food, education, and spirit are needed in in many places and Huang works to provide here. There is a lot of good fortune and money that shows up when needed, and the narrative seems a bit incomplete. This will especially appeal to readers with an interest in the area, although it may lead to more questions than answers ...more
Roger Huang is a pretty amazing man and God is using him to do amazing things. I enjoyed reading about his work.

So why only three stars? Having everything in first-person, present tense was distracting and a bit annoying. Also, there are multiple times where there are flashbacks within flashbacks.
christianchicklit
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, general
Amazing things can happen through one person and the power of prayer!

This is the story of Roger Huang and the ministry that he started in the Tenderloin district in San Francisco. Huang suffered significant abuse at the hands of his father in Taipei as a child. After coming to the States and witnessing a young boy beaten by bullies in the Tenderloin district, Huang was so distraught that he hadnt come to the boys aid and set out to find him. In the process, his heart was burdened to help others
Amanda
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, biography
This was a fantastic book. What an encouraging story that Roger shares from being an abused immigrant, to a man impacting thousands of lives in the Tenderloin district in San Francisco. His life is bathed in prayer and fasting, as his strong faith in God causes him to take risks and do large work that normal people, without the power of God behind them, would not be able to accomplish.
At the end of the book, he has a short reference about prayer and fasting and why and how to do it.

After
Susan
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So inspiring! Several ministers from my church have taken college students to the Tenderloin area to help minister to the people in this area and it has radically changed their lives.
Mitchell Lee
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book changed my life! Throughout the book, Roger details his life, including some chapters that were quite difficult to read about, such as his relationship with his parents. It is abundantly clear that he had his heart broken, bringing him to the Lord. Roger writes very clearly, and in such a way that I felt like I was growing up with him and walking through his life. I wanted to cry with him, rejoice with him, and hug him at times.

Going into it, I didn't know that much about fasting.
Debbie Boquist
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This story of one mans faith journey is an easy read, but it challenged me deeply. Roger put his faith in action, and through the power of prayer and fasting he witnessed miraculous break throughs ... God is plowing through spiritual barriers and bringing down strong holds .
I need to consider how my own prayer life will be impacted by the message of this book.
Ken Weatherl jr
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just obey

An example of obedience, you dont have to understand what Gods after (often cant understand) but just obey and Hell show you what hes up to. Thank you Roger for obeying.
Denise Ballentine
Huang has an amazing story to tell, and one that everyone should hear. I was inspired and encouraged by his passion for those living in the distressed Tenderloin District of San Francisco, especially the young people. Fast, but fascinating read.
Jimreese
May 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Be inspired by Gods faithfulness

It is powerful to see how Roger and his family chased after God to serve others and how God did amazing things to allow him to serve the poor in such powerful ways. God is the great restorer!
Todd Baker
May 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing story of God's work in and through a submitted man

Pastor Huang is an inspiration. Reading about his life has given me new clarity on what it means to be a Christian. I am so excited to lead a mission team to San Francisco next month to work with City impact!
Becky Hubbert
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evocative

I loved this book! It is simple and powerful and authentic. It is God working in and through a very special man (made special by God). This book inspires me.
Adele
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the best writing, but a great story about making a large impact in Tenderloin. One man with a mission who altered so many lives - extremely impressive.
Owen
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
If you want to be encouraged, read this memoir. Roger's life has been completely transformed and God has used him to to mighty things for the city of San Francisco.
I feel conflicted about this book. While it is very compelling and inspirational, it is written in a disjointed and scattered way which detracts from the power of the story. The strongest part of the book is the first half where Roger tells how Jesus brought him out of abuse and tragedy into light and hope and amazing ministry, and this part was the most compelling in my opinion. The second half talks at length about God's miraculous provision for Roger's ministry to the poor of San Francisco, ...more
Charles
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just stepped out of an adventure. At least that is how I feel after reading Roger Huangs book Chasing God.

His book is both biographical and instructional. As he learned lessons in his walk with God, he explained the how and why things happened as they did. I say it was an adventure because his experiences show how the Christian life is just that. There is no standing still, no status quo, no biding time until the Lords return. Being a Christian should entail intense waiting in faith,
Gary B
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, read-2014
A fantastic book describing God's activities through Roger Huang and his family in San Francisco. The predominant part of the story is the initiation, growth and challenges of City Impact and of how God continually works in and through and with Roger and Maite and their family to demonstrate His love to the people of the Tenderloin section in the city.

Theologically most of the growth and change comes through prayer and fasting. One thing that struck me was where Roger says he doesn't fast
Jinna
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's crazy to be getting to know the people you read about in a book. I was attracted to Pastor Huang's church due to the families that were leading it. After a bit of suburban bubble church trauma, I was floored by the life of these people walking out what they proclaimed to believe. They really do exist! They are truly contagious and their love for the Tenderloin makes the TENDERLOIN contagious too! Now that's crazy.

Then I heard his story through this book and all the faint bits and pieces
Carol
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been sponsoring a student at ACA for a couple...maybe three...years. I happened across this book from Book Shout and was excited to read more about the ministry and Roger Huang.
It's exciting to read about his journey of faith in action. I only gave 4 stars because of the literary lack. The man, the ministry, his faith and our God certainly deserve 5. Not to mention his wife. Can I assign 6 stars to her?
Nellie
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an account of City Teams Ministry which serves in the Tenderloin area of San Francisco. It chronicles the story of Roger Huang who started the ministry. He writes about his conversion to Christianity. It tells how he became involved in shining God's light into the darkness of the Tenderloin. There are numerous stories of miraculous answers to prayer. This is a book that will encourage your faith. It will inspire you to press into God to see where He would like you to serve.
Tiffany Taylor
Oct 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some things only come through prayer and fasting!!!

This book is an amazing model of how sacrificial living for the advancement of the kingdom allows one to witness Father God do the impossible. Such a rich source of testimonies that'll leave you convicted yet humbled and inspired. Roger and Maite's intimacy with God and submission to His Lordship are so apparent through the pages of this book and are an encouragement to all who are pursuing the deeper things of God.
Linda Callahan
Sep 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book came to me at the perfect time. I am in the process of developing a ministry and the details here of his journey helped me navigate my own frustrations and challenges. Anyone in ministry should read this book.
The reason I did not give a five star was, for me, there was too much family stories.
But the passion of this man is powerful.
Chris Lee
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Literally a must-read in my book. I'm an exceptionally slow reader but I couldn't put this one down. It's very real, honest, and exhilarating. I think Roger Huang really "gets it" when it comes to serving the poor, and many of the events of his story recorded in the book are nothing short of miraculous.
Roger Miller
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A modern-day George Mueller story. This is a simple testimony of what a big God can do with the normal man. It also grow your faith that God can move any Mountain. As a bonus gives practical examples the power Of prayer and fasting. And in this was the section on fasting. Anyone wanting to make a difference for the kingdom of God needs to read this book.
Steve
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I admire his courageous commitment to act out the faith he knew in his heart and ultimately experienced. I feel a little bit "less than" after reading about him while also feeling a deep sense of gratitude for my God's ability to target those most willing, to live out their faith. God is certainly with him. Amen to that!
Lori
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inspiring book which displays how God transforms through the obedience of His people. Although each chapter moves quickly and reveals God's faithful answers to the author's prayers, I imagine the waiting on God for timing and resources was much more difficult than the book could include.
andrea gayle
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One man's journey toward finding his spiritual path through the establishment of several different ministries -- all based on Christian doctrine. Many of the anecdotes were moving (some brought me to tears).
Rachel
One of the most moving, inspiring, engaging, and accessible books I have ever read. Recommend highly! Beware, however, as Roger will give you a peek into a life without certainty, a life without reservation, but a life fully God's. This has changed me.

• Letters to the Church
  • The Boy Between Worlds
  • Until the Final Hour: Hitler's Last Secretary
  • Empire in Black and Gold (Shadows of the Apt, #1)
  • Symphony of Danger
  • Autism in Heels: The Untold Story of a Female Life on the Spectrum
  • The Expert System's Brother
  • War Girl Ursula (War Girls #1)
  • Brave, Not Perfect: Fear Less, Fail More, and Live Bolder
  • Made Things
  • At Home In Exile: Finding Jesus among My Ancestors and Refugee Neighbors
  • The Smartest Kids in the World: And How They Got That Way
  • The Art of Rest: Faith to hit pause in a world that never stops
  • Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach to Finding God's Will
  • Precious Little Things
  • The Seat Beside Me
  • Use of Weapons (Culture #3)
  • We Are Never Alone: Reassuring Insights from the Other Side