Start by marking “The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1

The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1

(The Sandman Omnibus #1)

A New York Times Bestseller!

The Sandman is the universally lauded masterwork following Morpheus, Lord of the Dreaming--a vast hallucinatory landscape housing all the dreams of any and everyone who's ever existed. Regardless of cultures or historical eras, all dreamers visit Morpheus' realm--be they gods, demons, muses, mythical creatures, or simply humans who teach Morpheu
Hardcover, Omnibus, 1040 pages
Published September 3rd 2013 by Vertigo (first published August 27th 2013)

Start your review of The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1
Mark Lawrence
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read most of the Sandman story as separate graphic novels bought off ebay about 10 years ago.

This Christmas I bought myself the bound 'mega-volume' a very high class piece of bookage that contains the 1st 37 issues of the comic which is half of the 12(?) graphic novels.

Now the thing is that, yes, at the bottom of it all these are comics bound together into a book that's six inches thick... but excellent writing can show up in many media and Neil Gaiman is an excellent writer.

The story we're g
Dan Schwent
Once upon a time, a few years before the turn of the century, I decided I was too cool for super hero comics and read a lot of darker, mature readers only type of stuff. The Sandman was at the front of the pack for a long time. My mom unexpectedly bought me this big honkin' omnibus for Christmas so I've busted it into chunks for reviewing purposes.

Preludes and Nocturnes: After decades of imprisonment at the hands of a group of magicians, Dream escapes and sets about reclaiming what is his...

My n
Rikke
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am not a reader of comic books or graphic novels. Aside from an early infatuation with Disney's comic books and the glossed pages of the W.I.T.C.H.-magazines, I've never cared for colorful pictures with eventful stories. Comics have always puzzled me, and I have always failed to see their charm. Until now.

Of course it would be Neil Gaiman who changed my opinion, as he always seems to do. These past two years I have been devouring his work; his short stories, epic novels, children's books and s
Antonomasia
5 stars of the sort that are built up by layer upon layer upon layer of playful postmodernism whose grandeur and heft don't fully coalesce in the mind until round about p.500 of 1000.
A lot of the content would have been 4 stars if it had been in smaller chunks. As a whole - or half of a whole - it becomes very impressive. A full Big Book experience, that started to feel like reading a great postmodern novel, but also like watching a really fun, effortless film.

Conversation I was reminded of (1
Bruno Carriço
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lives up to the hype IMO
Cheese
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
So I've finally read vol.1 of the famous Sandman! I would say this book has had as much hype surrounding it as the Watchmen did and it was no let down.

So the story starts of with some men performing witchcraft and they wish to trap Death, so that they may live forever, instead they trap deaths' older brother 'Dream' or his real name Morpheus. He is imprisoned on the mortal plane for over 80 years and in that time he does not speak to them.

When he is eventually released he goes about repairing
Joseph Cooper
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good I have tattoos from it
Christopher
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don't need to read the Omnibus. I was there for the complete original series. Thank goodness DC Comics is bringing the series back to relaunch the all new Vertigo
Brandon St Mark
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-manga, dc
I think where this book shines the brightest is when Gaimen explores concepts like the Endless and Lucifer closing Hell down for good. The rest of the stories weren’t bad, but they just weren’t really good either.

I’ll still continue with the series, mainly for glimpses of the Endless because I think it’s such an interesting idea, but the other stories are of little interest to me, really. Also, I want to read Sandman Overture and Death: The High Cost of Living.
I. Merey
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll get the bad shit out of the way first: this book is ENORMOUS. >__<
It is as hard to transport (or even hold up for any extended period of time) as it is beautiful to look at. I found myself often wishing as I went through that I had a permanent, safe and clean surface I could leave it on and come back to it always, as it is, I am amazed and delighted that the book survived my audience with no chicken nugget splotches or barbecue stains.

That I had to read it in this glorious, but extremely cu
Emma Gerts
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I realised reading this that I had actually read more Sandman comics than I had thought, but that was many years ago and I enjoyed returning to the world of the Endless. I love the characterisation of the Endless and particularly of Dream. He's the hero, but he's not perfect. He's distant and proud and short tempered and he can be cruel when his pride is stung. But he can be merciful, and he can love. I really enjoyed these stories and look forward to the chance to read the rest of them.
Phoebe Jeziel
May 16, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: graphic-novel
Sandman has always been one of my favorite comics and it has been YEARS since I first read it. I've been way over due for a purchase/re-read. After deliberating, I bought the omnibus bind-up of the books and I am very excited to delve back into this world! I read the absolute edition last time and I remember the binding being a mess, which is why I went with the omnibus this time. Guess we'll see!
Adam Bogert
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I think the fact that I own the omnibuses of this series pretty much covers what I think of the series, no?
Jonathan
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I first read Sandman I was by no means a comic expert. Oh of course I knew about the Alan Moore's, Garth Ennis', Frank Miller's etc etc of the comic book world. And I knew how to clearly avoid the trash too. And yet Sandman was something that always eluded me. So when I finally did get a chance to pick up a copy at my college library I was blown away. The minute attention to detail that is always called back upon, the existential discussions that number every arc, a main character who is bo ...more
Jsrott
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The first time I read this series was the annotated editions, published only in black and white. Reading it again in color, and being able to see where the dozens of plot lines fit together, makes for what seems like a completely novel experience. This is truly a seminal work, one that if it isn't, should be the standard by which graphic novels are compared. I've already ordered volumes 2 and 3.
Jennifer Juffer
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sheer utter brilliance! Unlike anything you've ever read or visually seen on paper.
A must have for any collector of Gaiman!
Thomas
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The Sandman comes with a weight of expectation - you can't find out about it without discovering it's reputation as one of the best graphic novel/comic series ever written. There's Gaiman's name and wicked imagination behind it as well. You know it's going to be epic and weird and bursting with mythology. In a world of fingerclick knowledge, expectations play a dangerous game with our true perceptions of a piece of literature. The Sandman perhaps doesn't live up to them, but it also doesn't real ...more
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I will start off this review knowing that it's going to be sacrilegious, as the rating I'm giving this is more of a personal one than an overall general acknowledgement.

I do not like Neil Gaiman. There, I've said it. I've read his works from "Coraline" to "Good Omens" to "Stardust"... and, I do not like Neil Gaiman. Somewhere in my brain, Neil Gaiman has been lumped in with and morphed into the literary version of Tim Burton... and, I do not like Tim Burton. If I haven't yet lost all of my nerd
Kat Heatherington
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is clearly the foundation of Gaiman's reputation. I have read many of his novels, and though they were all well-written and enjoyable, they were also all very lightweight (and YES i'm including American Gods and Good Omens in that unpopular but honest assessment!), often to the point of being emotionally flimsy, and i have never understood why people rave about him so much. unless they just wanted 100% pure feel-good brain-candy with nice sentence structure and imagery, and little content. ...more
dusty.rhodes
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is fantastic. Nearly incomprehensible that I had never read any Sandman before, but then again... I was having trouble sleeping for a couple weeks and this was a perfect companion.

These are those magic pages which cause hesitation over every turn... do I rush forward and read the next one now now now? Or do I languish and let this first pass through these stories last longer?

I love myths and stories of explanation and level-shifting perspectives. I love hearing of echoes of gods and storie
Saul the Heir of Isauldur
This is some of the best literature I've encountered. It has everything, almost literally. It draws from a wide range of folklore and legend and, somehow, weaves it all together into a cohesive and coherent universe. The titular Sandman, named Morpheus usually but known also by a lot other names, is very cool in design and character. He's a little morose, sulky and clearly angry after having been trapped for seventy-odd years. He's also a lot angsty, but among the surrealism that's going on, it ...more
Maria  D
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was absolutely fantastic to get all the volumes in the same book and read them one after another. Two weeks of pure Sandman - one of the best birthday presents I ever had. Definitely recommended if you're a fan and you like heavy hardcover books.
Jake Nap
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Neil Gaiman sets out to prove how incredible of a comics writer he is in this series and he really accomplishes it. Each story is endlessly creative, the characters are extremely interesting and it all comes together in this brilliant little package of perfect comics.
Pratiksha Haldar
Amazing Art work and such great story lines.. Surely not meant for kids. My first graphic novel and I do not regret spending a single buck on this classic!
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This. Was. Amazing. Omg.
Seth Steele
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't read many comics, (more so in high school) but I'm a huge fan of Neil Gaiman. Spending $90 on this was quite a gamble, but well worth the money in the long run.
Brian Lueck
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the coolest thing I have ever read.
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
It's a toss-up between this version of the collection and that of the Absolute collection, but either way, you're set.
William Fricke
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
COUCH FACTOR (1-5): 🛋️🛋️🛋️🛋️🛋️

Wow! At over 2000 pages, The Sandman delivers some sweet dreams.

As a fan of Neal Gaiman, I love being thrown into his worlds, drifting through page after page, getting to know the characters and the scenes. Witnessing how each artist carries on the vision of the Sandman book after book, panel after panel, really helped me to appreciate the form of the graphic novel. Gaiman's tale weaves through comic after comic, connecting storylines and characters into one seamle
Breña
[deutsche Rezi siehe unten]

A fantastically narrated story with characters from mythologies, history and pop culture as well as - of course - Gaiman's imagination. I liked the stories with a plot that spanned several parts best, but the short narratives also fit into the big story arc and give depth to the characters and the world.

Gaiman has mastered this genre too and could rely on the performance of various talented artists. I rarely didn't like a style, mostly style and narration complement ea
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
bizarre dreams 1 11 Aug 10, 2013 05:00AM
bizarre dreams 1 2 Aug 10, 2013 04:58AM

• Sweet Tooth: Deluxe Edition, Book Two
  • Sweet Tooth: Deluxe Edition, Book Three
  • Lucifer Omnibus, Vol. 1 (the Sandman Universe Classics)
  • Berserk Deluxe Edition Volume 1
  • Locke & Key, Master Edition Volume Two
  • Locke & Key, Master Edition Volume Three
  • Hellboy: The Complete Short Stories Volume 1
  • Hellboy Omnibus Volume 2: Strange Places
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)

The Sandman Omnibus (3 books)
  • The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 2