Start by marking “The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1

The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1 (The Sandman Omnibus #1)

4.65  ·  Rating details ·  1,347 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
A New York Times Bestseller!

The Sandman is the universally lauded masterwork following Morpheus, Lord of the Dreaming--a vast hallucinatory landscape housing all the dreams of any and everyone who's ever existed. Regardless of cultures or historical eras, all dreamers visit Morpheus' realm--be they gods, demons, muses, mythical creatures, or simply humans who teach Morpheu
Hardcover, Omnibus, 1040 pages
Published September 3rd 2013 by Vertigo (first published August 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 1

Mark Lawrence
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I read most of the Sandman story as separate graphic novels bought off ebay about 10 years ago.

This Christmas I bought myself the bound 'mega-volume' a very high class piece of bookage that contains the 1st 37 issues of the comic which is half of the 12(?) graphic novels.

Now the thing is that, yes, at the bottom of it all these are comics bound together into a book that's six inches thick... but excellent writing can show up in many media and Neil Gaiman is an excellent writer.

The story we're g
Dan Schwent
Once upon a time, a few years before the turn of the century, I decided I was too cool for super hero comics and read a lot of darker, mature readers only type of stuff. The Sandman was at the front of the pack for a long time. My mom unexpectedly bought me this big honkin' omnibus for Christmas so I've busted it into chunks for reviewing purposes.

Preludes and Nocturnes: After decades of imprisonment at the hands of a group of magicians, Dream escapes and sets about reclaiming what is his...

My n
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am not a reader of comic books or graphic novels. Aside from an early infatuation with Disney's comic books and the glossed pages of the W.I.T.C.H.-magazines, I've never cared for colorful pictures with eventful stories. Comics have always puzzled me, and I have always failed to see their charm. Until now.

Of course it would be Neil Gaiman who changed my opinion, as he always seems to do. These past two years I have been devouring his work; his short stories, epic novels, children's books and s
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars of the sort that are built up by layer upon layer upon layer of playful postmodernism whose grandeur and heft don't fully coalesce in the mind until round about p.500 of 1000.
A lot of the content would have been 4 stars if it had been in smaller chunks. As a whole - or half of a whole - it becomes very impressive. A full Big Book experience, that started to feel like reading a great postmodern novel, but also like watching a really fun, effortless film.

Conversation I was reminded of (1
Bruno Carriço
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lives up to the hype IMO
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
So I've finally read vol.1 of the famous Sandman! I would say this book has had as much hype surrounding it as the Watchmen did and it was no let down.

So the story starts of with some men performing witchcraft and they wish to trap Death, so that they may live forever, instead they trap deaths' older brother 'Dream' or his real name Morpheus. He is imprisoned on the mortal plane for over 80 years and in that time he does not speak to them.

When he is eventually released he goes about repairing
Joseph Cooper
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is so good I have tattoos from it
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Don't need to read the Omnibus. I was there for the complete original series. Thank goodness DC Comics is bringing the series back to relaunch the all new Vertigo
I. Merey
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll get the bad shit out of the way first: this book is ENORMOUS. >__<
It is as hard to transport (or even hold up for any extended period of time) as it is beautiful to look at. I found myself often wishing as I went through that I had a permanent, safe and clean surface I could leave it on and come back to it always, as it is, I am amazed and delighted that the book survived my audience with no chicken nugget splotches or barbecue stains.

That I had to read it in this glorious, but extrem
Emma Gerts
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I realised reading this that I had actually read more Sandman comics than I had thought, but that was many years ago and I enjoyed returning to the world of the Endless. I love the characterisation of the Endless and particularly of Dream. He's the hero, but he's not perfect. He's distant and proud and short tempered and he can be cruel when his pride is stung. But he can be merciful, and he can love. I really enjoyed these stories and look forward to the chance to read the rest of them.
Andy Tischaefer
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Adam Bogert
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I think the fact that I own the omnibuses of this series pretty much covers what I think of the series, no?
Juan Carlos
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love Sandman!!!
Jennifer Juffer
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sheer utter brilliance! Unlike anything you've ever read or visually seen on paper.
A must have for any collector of Gaiman!
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I will start off this review knowing that it's going to be sacrilegious, as the rating I'm giving this is more of a personal one than an overall general acknowledgement.

I do not like Neil Gaiman. There, I've said it. I've read his works from "Coraline" to "Good Omens" to "Stardust"... and, I do not like Neil Gaiman. Somewhere in my brain, Neil Gaiman has been lumped in with and morphed into the literary version of Tim Burton... and, I do not like Tim Burton. If I haven't yet lost all of my nerd
Kat Heatherington
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is clearly the foundation of Gaiman's reputation. I have read many of his novels, and though they were all well-written and enjoyable, they were also all very lightweight (and YES i'm including American Gods and Good Omens in that unpopular but honest assessment!), often to the point of being emotionally flimsy, and i have never understood why people rave about him so much. unless they just wanted 100% pure feel-good brain-candy with nice sentence structure and imagery, and little content. ...more
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is fantastic. Nearly incomprehensible that I had never read any Sandman before, but then again... I was having trouble sleeping for a couple weeks and this was a perfect companion.

These are those magic pages which cause hesitation over every turn... do I rush forward and read the next one now now now? Or do I languish and let this first pass through these stories last longer?

I love myths and stories of explanation and level-shifting perspectives. I love hearing of echoes of gods and storie
Mikey Connor
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The first 7 issues set the story and, while they were decent comics, I was starting to wonder what I had gotten myself into. However after reading issue 8 when you first meet the character death I was finally hooked. This series has some best stories I've ever read and I'm excited to crack open the second volume. It's dark and philosophic nature coupled with bursts of humor and the unexpected and outrageous made me unable to stop reading even when I knew I had things I should be doing.
Maria  D
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was absolutely fantastic to get all the volumes in the same book and read them one after another. Two weeks of pure Sandman - one of the best birthday presents I ever had. Definitely recommended if you're a fan and you like heavy hardcover books.
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This. Was. Amazing. Omg.
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Pratiksha Haldar
Amazing Art work and such great story lines.. Surely not meant for kids. My first graphic novel and I do not regret spending a single buck on this classic!
Seth Steele
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I don't read many comics, (more so in high school) but I'm a huge fan of Neil Gaiman. Spending $90 on this was quite a gamble, but well worth the money in the long run.
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The Sandman comes with a weight of expectation - you can't find out about it without discovering it's reputation as one of the best graphic novel/comic series ever written. There's Gaiman's name and wicked imagination behind it as well. You know it's going to be epic and weird and bursting with mythology. In a world of fingerclick knowledge, expectations play a dangerous game with our true perceptions of a piece of literature. The Sandman perhaps doesn't live up to them, but it also doesn't real ...more
Tim Galbraith
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A while back and a smaller version of me picked up his first comic book. An X-men book drawn by Jim Lee. I had since gone head first into the super hero realm until much later when another fan of comic books/graphic novels told me to read Preacher and Sandman. I had read Preacher at the time and then started reading other things, but only until now had I finally been able to read Sandman.
I don't know why it took so long. This is a dark, enjoyable book with many tales revolving around the Lord o
Matt Bohnhoff
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, comic
Sandman is an amazing run of comics. Gaiman is a masterful storyteller of strange fairytales. I’m glad I’ve finally gotten a chance to read them in their entirety.

I use the term “comic” instead of “graphic novel” because they clearly weren’t written as a single plot. There is a connecting narrative thread but really it’s a collection of separate tales exploring Dream and his siblings. That’s not a bad thing.

My only complaint is with the physical presentation of the comics here. They’re bound int
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: misc
First volume is pretty good, it actually encourages you to keep reading the next volumes... it's a 75 issue long divided into 10 volumes with linked characters and stories, so now i'm reading vol.10 and trying to remember what the hell did this character do or what are these guys talking about, and that is a constant problem i face with sandman, another is that i feel puzzled each time i read it, that i am missing something maybe it's a problem with me ... i came to be certain that sandman is ov ...more
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A few slow issues in an otherwise incredible collection. Gaiman proves his imagination and knowledge of mythology is vast, and his ability to mesh the two works with stunning effect.

There's a laundry list of artists in this book, and they all do their part well; no style seemed acutely out of place.

A beautiful 1000+ page oversized Omnibus; thick pages with absolutely no gutter loss. A thing worthy of purchase.
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel bad giving this only three stars as its clearly a giant in its field - but I'm going to give in and admit I can't really be doing with graphic novels. The story is great and the artwork is amazing, but there's not enough imagination effort required for any of this to stick in my mind - I already can't remember a lot of the earlier stories. I'll get the second volume to see how things end, but I think this genre is going to be limited to post-nights fugue state from now on..
Ω†ß Folk Horror Baby ߆Ω
Neil Gaiman cements himself as the king of pop culture in my eyes. These comics embody everything scifi/fantasy is and everything it should be. The story and the characters and the way everything interweaves with eachother is perfection. My only gripe is that the first few volumes were a little ugly and difficult to follow in terms of space.
bizarre dreams 1 10 Aug 10, 2013 05:00AM
bizarre dreams 1 2 Aug 10, 2013 04:58AM
  • Fullmetal Alchemist (3-in-1 Edition), Vol. 4
  • Under Presure (W.I.T.C.H. Graphic Novels, #7)
  • Lucifer, Book One (Lucifer, #1)
  • The Graveyard Book Volume 2
  • Good Omens: The BBC Radio 4 dramatisation
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1 (Dragon Ball VIZBIG Edition, #1)
  • Skammerens datter 3+4 (Skammerserien, #3-4)
  • Saga #13
  • Age of Shiva
  • Death Note: Black Edition, Vol. 5

The Sandman Omnibus (2 books)
  • The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 2

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Silent Shield (Kingfountain #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Gateway to Fourline (The Fourline Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Scourge of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Nightstalkers (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Book of Truths (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Rift (Area 51: Nightstalkers, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • The Forsaken Throne (Kingfountain #6)
  • Caraval (Caraval, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Rebel Genius
    $6.38 $2.99
  • Time Patrol (Area 51: The Nightstalkers, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Hour (Midnighters, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The King's Traitor (Kingfountain, #3)
  • Fear the Drowning Deep
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Insignia (Insignia, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hollow Crown (Kingfountain #4)
  • Moving Mars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Blood Rose Rebellion
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Great Pursuit (Eurona Duology, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)
    $10.29 $2.99
  • Neverwhere
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Reamde
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Shadow of Empire (Far Star Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Welcome to Night Vale
    $7.49 $2.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Flamecaster (Shattered Realms, #1)
    $4.09 $1.99
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
  • Timequake