Start by marking “Batman and Robin, Volume 2: Pearl” as Want to Read:
Batman and Robin, Volume 2: Pearl

Batman and Robin, Volume 2: Pearl

(Batman and Robin (2011) #2)

After the events of Batman and Robin, Volume 1: Born to Kill, its obvious that Damian has a long way to go before hell be accepted into Gotham Citys crimefighting family. Will Damian ever be able to live up to the standards that Nightwing, Red Robin and Red Hood set before him?

After a battle with the former Robins, can Damians convictions stand up to a confrontation with
Published June 11th 2013 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman and Robin, Volume 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman and Robin, Volume 2

Start your review of Batman and Robin, Volume 2: Pearl
Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: It does the monster mash, dishing out freakshow foes as feral backdrop and foils to Robins baby-step domestication.
Sam Quixote
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
The second volume of Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason's New 52 Batman and Robin should really be called Robin as its almost entirely made up of short stories about Damian Wayne. But it's these brief, ineffectual vignettes that also makes this not as good as the first volume (pretty much the story of the New 52 second volumes) though it has its share of good/bad moments.

The first chapter is the #0 issue where we see Damian being born/raised by Talia Al-Ghul, a story readers of Grant Morrison's
Joseph
This week with the Shallow Comic Readers Buddy read: Batman!

description

Like most people, I found that this volume was not quite up to par with the preceding one. It starts out strong with the Zero issue, and focuses on Damian's "origin" and his relationship with his mother before he was handed over to Bruce Wayne. It's very well told, the art is solid, and allows the reader to know a good bit more about Damian and why he is the way he is.

Then we get into the problem of Damian trying to set himself as being
James DeSantis
Jan 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Really enjoyable, just disjointed.

We start off with Damien's origins. It's similar to Morrison's take except get a little bit more of a inside look at Damien's views. I also really dug the fact you see Damien always thought his father special yet never shows him that when he meets him.

The whole new bad guy, I even forgot his name, is forgettable. He's basically dying and wants Batman to suffer. Nothing new here. What helps these issues is Damien making his mark on the other Robin's from the
Donovan
Jul 25, 2014 rated it really liked it

"Damian, I'm proud of you."

Now that I've read this twice, I can definitively say this is another great volume in The Damian Show, featuring Batman. We learn more backstory on Damian and his intense training, fighting his mother Talia Al Ghul on each of his birthdays. And there is more tenderness and humor to balance out the heavy.

Firstly, Patrick Gleason and Mick Gray are amazing. I want to frame their artwork. Secondly, there's a lot packed into this volume with various villains and even some
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
I don't know what it is but this run just doesn't have the same appeal the Morrison run did to me (I know, I can't believe I'm saying that either). Perhaps it's because Bruce is a lot more distrustful and less understanding towards Damian than Dick was towards his brother. Even in this book, Dick is the only one that truly understands Damian.

This does emphasize the chip on Damian's shoulder: this is a kid that has been forced to prove himself his entire life. His mother wouldn't even tell him
Scott
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a handful of reasons I liked this volume just a little more than its predecessor -

1. The Damian origin / solo mission double-shot that opens the book.
2. The dialogue during the 'family' portrait sitting scene at the manor, with the Robins bickering (sounding like biological brothers) and Wayne's brief heartwarming insistence on Alfred's inclusion.
3. The augmentation suit - watch out, evil-doers !
4. The past and present Robins kicking ass as a team on the streets of Gotham - there is
Jesse A
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Another strong volume in this series. Between this series and Snyder's I'm really coming around to Batman!
Chris
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Unlike it's predecessor Born To Kill, Pearl offers a handful of different storylines rather than one consistent narrative. This leads to a few bumps in the road as things progress, but the key strengths of the series hold this volume together.

Damian strikes out on his own in Pearl, the book opening with a #0 issue that looks at his regimented upbringing with his mother Talia and the League Of Assassins. His strict training and indoctrination help make his feats in the present more believable in
Nico
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Well... Damian is a little shit, but we already knew that, didn't we? Arggggg, and I love him. Ridiculous freaking piece of moody, childish, turn-at-the-flick-of-a-switch, insane, miscreant child that he is. I wasn't sure if he was going to be able to redeem himself there, but he managed it. I don't think - well actually I know - Bruce even thought he was gong to.

I am a little pissed that Damian completely got away with everything that happened with the past Robins. Have I mentioned he's a
RG
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved Damians back story, I loved the interactions between the older previous robins but the villain Terminus was so lame that it really hindered the story. The first volume was much better.
Koen
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Okay, that augmentation suit was awesome! :p

Batman and Robin keep on kicking ass in this issue...
Only strange to see Batman stepping out of the shadows though... Saw it happen just once before in one of the crisises.. Not his style, but he still delivers!

At first I didn't like Gleason's art, at all.. but it grew on me... Lot's of interesting details in it... But still not the best in the business according to me..

Overall view: very happy with this one. Let's hope they can keep up the pace...
Shannon
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
It's all about Damian trying to prove himself to the Bat Family.

Very nice artwork.

OVERALL GRADE: B minus to B.
Gavin
Mar 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
There's some repetition here, due to the Night of the Owls storyline, so one of these stories I've already read (Damian has to save a dude from one of the Talons - decent story, but already read this - had I paid for the book I'd have been irked). The #0 story tells how Damian wanted to know his father, but wasn't able to until he could defeat his mother in combat on his birthday (took him until his 10th) which takes up to the first meeting of Father and Son.

Now the rest of this kicks off, with
Joshua Adam Bain
Apr 11, 2014 rated it liked it
When I first read this I really enjoyed it. Second time round, not so much.

After the first volume of Tomasi's run on Batman and Robin I was very optimistic. The previous book was full of heart and had a great story. This however, was a bunch of short stories that were completely forgettable.

The first story is Damian's origins, something which has already been told in Grant Morrison's run back in 2007, but hey it wasn't bad so I'll let that slide.

The second, and my personal least favourite, is
Sheida
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
There was a severe lack of coherence in this volume. The plot just jumped all over the place.
Vanessa ♛Queen Alchemy ϟ Novel Nerd Faction♛
This review MAY contain spoilers. Read at your own risk.

I really enjoyed this volume. I liked Damian much more in this volume. At least towards the end. He was way more respectful and he and Bruce even shared a tender father/son moment at the end. It was quite endearing. I liked the undertone of Damian trying to prove himself to the other Robins. He challenges them and has to come out on top. I really liked what Dick told him in the end. And I am glad that he was the one to do it.

I didn't
Mike
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: completed-series
These are rather odd stories of Bruce and Damian Wayne as Batman and Robin in The New 52
Jenny Clark
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
Pretty good, decent characterization and art, but all kinda disjointed stories. Batman and Robin's dynamic is the most interesting part.
Justyn Rampa
I just re-read this volume in single issue form and I LOVE IT!!! Damian is such a great character and I will kick anyone in the face that says otherwise.

Peter J. Tomasi gets a little closer to his wheelhouse in this volume telling shorter stories with slightly fantastical elements.

The Zero Issue...in which we get a sense of Damian's upbringing with Talia, his training with the League of Assasins, and little bit of his humanity. This builds up to the first time Damian meets Batman in "Batman and
Blindzider
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Another solid venture with just a couple small missteps.

The first issue in this volume shows some of Damian's upbringing with his mother Talia, and just what she put him through. Pretty amazing and sad at the same time.

The second issue was a crossover with the Court of Owls storyline. It wasn't bad, but seemed to mess up the flow of the regular story thread.

The next few issues started off really well: Damian starts trying to prove to the other Robins that he's the best but then that all ends
Chris Lemmerman
Not quite as fun as the first volume, mainly because it doesn't bring the focus on Batman and Robin properly until the final arc.

The Zero issue opens this volume, which flashes back to Damian's training under Talia Al Ghul. It's nice to see this side of his life explored a little more, and also that Damian wasn't always a little crazy. The panel of Damian with Batman's cowl on his head is both adorable and chilling at the same time.

Then comes issue 9 which is your generic Talon vs. Bat-Family
Zila_ShadowWolf
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Damian can be described with one word: annoying. But I'm starting to like him; I guess he's kinda growing on me. I'm really liking this series a lot :) It was so cool how it had all the robins together! And Zombies!!! :o
Relstuart
Nov 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: dc
A strong volume with good characterization though with a wider focus this time. We see some background on Damian as his mother has him trained and his interaction with the other Robins.
Christopher (Donut)
I just see Tomasi riffing on Morrison's "Batman and son" concept, and coming close.
(Missed it by thaaat much.)

Lamely conceived villains like Terminus and the "Eat to live" zombies get two issues each, and that's a blessing, but there's a lot of exposition left to the reader's imagination. Confusing overall.

Volume three is already on deck, but I feel like I'm just checking the boxes.
Morgan Kelley
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read for Robin fans: you get all four in one comic and Damians character growth is great. ...more
Tony Laplume
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
You really need to read this one.

Some of the biggest buzz around Batman comics in 2013 was generated when Robin died again. The last time this happened was in 1988 when the second Robin, Jason Todd, was killed by the Joker in "A Death in the Family." Famously (or infamously), Jason's fate was left in the hands of the fans, who were given a chance to vote on whether or not he should die. They chose to let him. In the 2013 equivalent, the victim was Damian Wayne, son of Batman and Talia Head,
Batastrophe
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc, batfam, new52, read-2016
Another great volume from Tomasi. I think this new version of Batman and Robin is becoming one of my favorite comic series that I've read. And the key to that success is character development--the writers make sure to take Damian on a journey of emotional growth in each scene that he's in, and it really helps this series shine. My personal favorite section was issue #9, mainly for this panel:

description

I think this perfectly captures the essence of Damian's character at this point--he feels slightly
Wing Kee
Jun 17, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars

Good pieces surrounded by poor villains and tie ins.

The first arc was very strong, it introduced the relationship dynamic between Bruce and Damien and have is enough world building to make it fun. So, the fact that this arc is nowhere near that level is a bit disappointing.

World: Gleason gets to really show his stuff this arc as both Terminus and the Zombie thing are just what he was born to draw. Gruesome, creepy and full of bodily fluids and pieces flying everywhere. The term gritty
Anna
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
More like 3.5 Stars for this one. The fights and the villains were my least favorite parts (I found them kind of lame to be honest), but there were some parts I really enjoyed, such as the portrait sitting. Also, really liked the competitive dynamic between all the Robins (past AND present), including Damian's little challenge. Nightwing just giving him the trophy and telling him he didn't have to try so hard had me going, "Awww!" That last panel with the Father/Son moment was great as well. ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Batman Incorporated, Volume 1: Demon Star
  • Batman – Detective Comics, Volume 2: Scare Tactics
  • Nightwing, Volume 2: Night of the Owls
  • Batman & Robin, Vol. 3: Batman & Robin Must Die!
  • Batman & Robin, Vol. 2: Batman vs. Robin
  • Batman, Volume 4: Zero Year: Secret City
  • Batman, Volume 3: Death of the Family
  • Batman: The Dark Knight, Vol. 2: Cycle of Violence
  • Nightwing, Volume 3: Death of the Family
Peter J. Tomasi is an American comic book writer, best known for his work for DC Comics.

Batman and Robin (2011) (7 books)
  • Batman and Robin, Volume 1: Born to Kill