Start by marking “Batgirl/Robin: Year One” as Want to Read:
Batgirl/Robin: Year One

Batgirl/Robin: Year One

(Batgirl)

Here it is: Robin's baptism by fire as dons the costume of Robin, the Boy Wonder for the first time and patrols the night by Batman's side. In his earliest adventures, Robin learns very quickly that what he thought would be fun is actually a matter of life and death.

And in the action-packed origin of the original Batgirl, explore Barbara Gordon's transformation from averag
Published June 25th 2013 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batgirl/Robin, please sign up.
Cduncan I am not very proficient in comic books. I do not believe that there is a Batgirl Year Two or a Robin Year Two. This book was two separate books just…moreI am not very proficient in comic books. I do not believe that there is a Batgirl Year Two or a Robin Year Two. This book was two separate books just bound in the same cover.(less)

Gavin
Mar 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Closer to 3.5 stars, decent enough stories, but not gritty or dark, just sort of this is what happens. Artwork is more Animated Series style so not as realistic as most Batman, but that helps with the throwback subject matter. However, the problem is that for this to be back in the day, there are cell phones and GPS, right next to 1940s Batmobile and 1994 PCs and Fax machines...but isn't Gotham always past meets future? I suppose.

Robin focuses on Two Face and Dick learning his place, narrated by
Jonny Campo
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-comics, batman, mine
This was exactly what I wanted from this book.
I had a great time reading this, I didn't have to sit through another boring robin origin story that we already know. I just got robin year one and his struggles in the superhero game as a brand new sidekick, and to grumpy uncle dick batman of all people. lol.
I'm not so familiar with batgirl at least from the comic book type of view, so the origin story on her side was cool. I really liked how it mixed the back story in with flashbacks and action in
autumn
May 30, 2018 added it
Shelves: superheros
dnf at around 370 pages
the robin half is really cute and fun but the batgirl half has got to be THE most painfully condescending (read: misogynistic) thing ive ever read in my life! it undoes literally every single thing i loved about 60s-70s batgirl - a kickass, non-sexualised, intelligent female superhero who's on equal footing with batman and is capable in her own right. this version of bg has literally none of that going for her. also killer moth is there. not recommended
Gianfranco Mancini
Batgirl and Robin begin

A more than good retelling of the first career days of DC Comics Boy Wonder and commissioner Gordon's daughter.
The Batman Animated series cartoon style art was just perfect for the two throwback stories and added a nice retró touch and feeling to them.

(view spoiler)
Chad Jordahl
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun and entertaining YA book. Light and playful, but also thoughtful at times. Good art. I didn't like the Green Arrow's pages, though. Those sections pushed too far into science fiction territory and were out of phase with the rest of the book
Donovan
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I've been heavy into Batman-exclusive comics and decided to read the sidekicks for a change. Chuck Dixon and Scott Beatty don't disappoint. Strong writing, great characterization, believable dialog. The artwork isn't breathtaking but it's bright and bold pop art that accompanies the writing well. Arguably it's intentionally minimalistic in keeping with the pulp, vintage feel.

Robin Year One: I liked Bruce in this. He wasn't Frank Miller super-huge or stoic or downright evil, but a good balance,
Alenka
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Since there are two stories in this collection, I'm going to talk about them separately.
Robin: If I was rating each story separately I'd probably give Robin: Year One three stars. I enjoyed the comic and, as always, liked seeing Dick Grayson's optimism play off Batman's ridiculous broodiness. However, the story loses me a little when (SPOILER ALERT!!!!) Dick runs off and starts training with a gang from the League of Assassins. Being "fired" by Bruce wasn't really enough for me; even if he's not
Chaitra
Wasn't expecting too much out of it, because even though I don't know much about Batman universe, I know Robin's a kind of a joke. And I've never seen a Batgirl in action. But!

Robin Year One

Dick Grayson grew on me. Batman's a side character, which is expected, but I liked their relationship. The first couple of issues deal with lame villains, but then (view spoiler).
J
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Two great stories collected together, written by Chuck Dixon, who did some magical work with the Bat family during the late 90s and early 2000s. Robin Year One focuses on the relationship between Batman and Robin, as well as the personal development of a teenaged Dick Grayson. Batgirl Year One focuses on Barbara Gordon overcoming prejudice to become her own crimefighter. Both are loaded with future references to Dixon's work on Nightwing and Birds of Prey, as well as seeding the universally love ...more
Jasmiina F
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I just loved this one. The stories were amazing (although I wish Batgirl would have gotten more interesting villains) and I'm so happy I got to read this.
Victoria Hawco
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love my Bat-Children.
Earnest
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dc-comics
Out of the 3 Year One miniseries of the Bat-Family, Batgirl's by Chuck Dixon would have to be the best. It clearly tells the story of how Barbara Gordon became Batgirl in a better way than Miller's Year One where the over-all mood of the piece is dark and gritty while the characters are troubled personas seeking to assuage their inner pain through justice and violence. In contrast, the two Year One of the sidekicks are colorful bildungsromans with the right balance between humor and drama.

When
Blair Conrad
Aug 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Much better than I'd hoped for! The art throughout was quite good, and and fairly stylized.

Having the Robin book "narrated" by Alfred worked very well, as it highlighted the contrast between the way Batman and Robin approached crime fighting, and also allowed us to access a conscious. I've seen too few books of this nature address the morality of having a teen fight crime as he does.
Despite that, many of the scenes with Robin (especially early on) were humorous, and kept the book a little lighte
Adam Fenner
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of fun and a pretty good story to bring the characters to life. I do think that the differences between Batgirl and Robin's origin stories were distinct and I wish Batgirl's story was darker, it felt more like a simple overcoming of her fears and proving herself to peers. While Robin has to overcome both physical and personal challenges to overcome. It almost felt as though the author was afraid to really hurt Batgirl.
Nerdish Mum
Sep 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved reading this. I thought the stories were well done and really enjoyable and fun. If I had to choose which I preferred I would have to say I liked the Batgirl beginnings ever so slightly more. I love Barbara as Batgirl, I love her personality and I loved her stories. A definite recommendation from me.
Diz
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book did a great job of developing Batgirl and Robin. You get a really strong sense of their personalities, and you get a strong feeling for why they are doing what they are doing. The villains are also really well developed. I really liked the clean a simple art-style that is used in this book. This is perhaps one of my favorite comics.
Erin
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
In truth I only read the Robin:Year One side as I own the Batgirl Year One in comic form. I thought this was a dual story format with both superheroes lives as the focus of the tale but it's two separate archs. That being said, I really enjoyed the Robin side and found it particularly insightful on Robin after his parents are murdered and how he copes as Batman's sidekick.
Jaima
Mar 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
dd and I both enjoyed this one. Had a great storyline. Where's the sequel?
Ben Truong
This trade paperback chronicles the very first year of Robin and Batgirl respectively and collects the mini-series Robin: Year One (4 issues) and Batgirl: Year One (9 issues).

Robin: Year One chronicles the tumultuous first year that Batman and Robin had together. Robin had singlehandedly defeated the Mad Hatter and with help from Batman took down Killer Moth and saved Batman's life by helping him take out Blockbuster (Mark Desmond). He was benched for going after Two-Face, but disregarded Batman
Josh Angel
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent "Year One" origin story for Robin and Batgirl. While two separate stories, they read as complete story when read back-to-back. The writing is top notch, with great characterization of both Dick Grayson (Robin) and Barbara Gordon (Batgirl), setting up their relationship effectively without being cheesy. The art is a clean art deco style noir ala Batman the Animated Series, and I found the artist to be an effective story teller.

Robin: Year One is not an origin story per se, but rather a
faatima
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: batfam
This was such an enrapturing read! I blazed through all four hundred or so pages in a day, and am only more eager to dive into Dick and Barbara's respective worlds.

The most striking aspect about these two volumes is the voice. It's interesting that the majority of Robin's volume is narrated by Alfred, especially considering that it hardly deters the story from being told in its best light. Alfred's journal musings are perfectly mirrored in the twists and turns of Dick's first year as Robin. He'
Stacey Adams
Mar 31, 2019 rated it liked it
I would have given 5 stars if it was just the Robin section. I really liked that part. It made a lot of things make sense that I know about Batman and Robin. It filled in blanks, things I never knew about Robin. Very enjoyable read. The part on Batgirl....not as easy to follow. She seemed like a vengeful, spiteful, spoiled child through most of the book. I dig that she was trying to show how just because she's female doesn't mean she isn't as strong or competent as a male. But the way she went a ...more
Max Z
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
With solid art, high-octane action and good characterization this would be a great introduction to the canon.

Chuck Dixon is the guy you go to if you want action and adventure comics. Cinematic street level shenanigans like jumping on moving cars and driving a motorcycle through the subway station are his forte. That's not to say that he's no good in decent amounts of drama either. Robin's story is much shorter than the Batgirl one but is much more dramatic with the character almost walking away
Adam
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
This was honestly probably one of the best Batman graphic novels I've read so far. Funny too since it doesn't focus on Batman at all! I really appreciate the various motivations and insecurities demonstrated by Robin and Batgirl, and I like the way Batman has his own difficulty in accepting them to do the same thing he's doing (primarily because of age and the risk). I always thought Robin seemed like a dumb character next to Batman, but reading Robin and his character here made it all seem *muc ...more
Luana
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pretty big collection featuring the Robin: Year One storyline (4 issues) and the Batgirl: Year One storyline (9 issues). Frankly the Batgirl one coulda been slimmed down quite a bit!

Javier Pulido (on Robin) and Marcos Martin (on Batgirl)'s art is amaaaaazing and I'd read infinitely amount of Batman comics by either of them.

The Robin storyline gets unexpectedly (tho never inappropriately) dark, which I dug quite a lot. Robin gets the shiiiit beat out of him.

I disliked the constant references to
John Mendiola
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's apparently more Year One books outside of Batman

Okay, I get it. Batgirl and Robin are not really that far removed from Batman but it was an awesome delight to see recommendations pop up for a Year One book that wasn't Batman. Seeing a early tale about the early days of Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon's mission for justice was exciting. These 2 stories really flowed together to make this book. Though it may not be the official canon for these characters (or maybe it is - its always imposs
Adam Hošek
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was really looking forward to this book after reading the Dark Victory which, besides it's main plot, serves as a retelling of Robin origin story.

Robin: Year One was good but not that catching I hoped for. On the other hand the Batgirl: Year One was real fun! I really enjoyed it, even the parts with Robin. The relationship between him and Batgirl was fun. Maybe it's because Robin is more mature here (the Batgirl: Year One obviously takes places at least couple years after Robin: Year One). I d
Hannah
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: batgirl
This is just two books bound into one. Batgirl Year one is the latter half. The first half is the best though. Fun, light-hearted self-contained stories featuring Dick Grayson and his development as a character. The easy pacing and dynamic compositions more than make up for the weird shape shifting faces of each of the characters.
Maurice Jr.
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice to see the second and third members of the Bat-family as they learned their way around life in costume. I enjoyed their Year One journeys, in particular watching Batgirl earn Batman's trust, to the point where he allowed Robin to supply her with equipment like theirs and watched her in action to see how she handled herself.
Cduncan
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am not a huge graphic novel fan. I read them. I enjoy them. However, I miss the word play of a novel. I enjoy creating the pictures in my head using the words of the author. I love Batgirl. She is a librarian like me. I liked reading about how Barbara Gordon became Batgirl.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Batman: Long Shadows
  • Nightwing, Volume 4: Second City
  • Batman: Eternal, Volume 1
  • Batman: A Death in the Family
Charles "Chuck" Dixon is an American comic book writer, perhaps best-known for long runs on Batman titles in the 1990s.

His earliest comics work was writing Evangeline first for Comico Comics in 1984 (then later for First Comics, who published the on-going series), on which he worked with his then-wife, the artist Judith Hunt. His big break came one year later, when editor Larry Hama hired him to w

Batgirl (8 books)
  • Batgirl: The Greatest Stories Ever Told
  • Batgirl: Year One
  • Showcase Presents: Batgirl, Vol. 1
  • Birds of Prey: Batgirl/Catwoman
  • Birds Of Prey: Black Canary - BatGirl
  • Batman: Batgirl
  • Batman + Batgirl: Thrillkiller'62
“Costumes. The clothes we wear over who we really are. Or really want to be” 2 likes