Start by marking “Room 732” as Want to Read:

Room 732

Have you ever walked into a hotel room and wondered who stayed there through the years and what took place before you entered? In her debut short story collection, Merle Saferstein captures the essence of the famed Hollywood Beach Hotel and brings to life the characters that have crossed the threshold of Room 732.

Set against the backdrop of Florida’s Atlantic Ocean, Room
Published December 21st 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published December 13th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Room 732, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Room 732

Patricia J
Jan 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Room 732

Ever said “Boy, if these walls could talk…”? For Ms. Saferstein they do. Identifying significant periods in the history of our time, corresponding with significant changes to this landmark building, she uses pieces of the life story of imagined guests of Room 732 as a vehicle to take her reader back through time enmeshed with our experiences and how we were in those periods, teasing out buried and/or forgotten memories, experiences and feelings. Each chapter is a separate short story yet
Jocelyn Lee
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
As a psychologist I was struck by how Merle R. Saferstein masterfully weaves important psychological themes into each story, imparting essential life lessons on grief/loss, trauma, depression, stigma and prejudice, divorce and the murky waters that are interpersonal relationships. The power of human connection permeates the pages and pulls for empathy and compassion for the characters and their journeys. That we can find pieces of ourselves in these stories reveals skillful writing incorporating ...more
Tracy Antol
Jan 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
I did not like this book. I was expecting so much more with a 5 star rating. I should check the number of reviews before I make that assumption. With only 6 reviews, its easier to get to a 5 star rating.

I don't know if it was the writing or the character development. The concept is solid but the stories are not compelling. I didn't care about a single storyline. I almost cared more about the hotel. I am a South FLorida local so it was interesting to get that kind of fictional history, but the bo
Ruth
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful collection of short stories woven together by the inhabitants of "Room 732" in Florida's acclaimed Hollywood Beach Hotel.

Stretching across decades, the historical timeline depicts the economic, social, and cultural issues that faced the characters crossing the room's threshold.

The books many themes will resonate with most anyone: bonds between mothers and their children, loss, legacy, religion and faith, wartime America, sisters, marriage, love, and friendship.

Great for a book clu
Danica Harris
Apr 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Won this book on goodreads giveaway. I was intrigued by almost every story except for the bubble school....I skipped that entry. I thought each character and story was great otherwise. I had a hard time reading a secondary character telling a story and then having the first person interrupting with a one or two sentence thought on that piece of story. It didn't flow for me. I would have enjoyed it a lot better without the "thought" interruptions, could not get past them for some reason.
Jodi
Aug 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: whydidibother
I was so excited to read this book as it is set in hollywood Florida and centers around a loved landmark. The book is so poorly written...it was a HUGE disappointment (with the exception of it being set in Hollywood)
Lauren Kaplan
did not like
gj indieBRAG
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that ROOM 732 by Merle R. Saferstein is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells a reader that this book is well worth their time and money!
Rocky
Chelle Dohrmann
Jul 23, 2013
Aemi Tucker
Sep 03, 2014
Since 1974, I have been writing in journals and have accumulated 345 volumes. One of my life goals is to read all of these journals and take highlights from them based on approximately fifty topics. While I have begun this project and have completed over two hundred, I still have a long way to go. In the meantime, occasionally I include some of the excerpts in other writing that I do.

I have spent