Start by marking “Margaret of the North” as Want to Read:
Margaret of the North

Margaret of the North

A sequel to Elizabeth Gaskell 's North and South and its retelling in the BBC miniseries of the same title, Margaret of the North returns the focus on Margaret and how she—intelligent, independent-minded, passionate about her own concerns—curbs a niche and an identity for herself within the repressive constraints of Victorian society. Gaskell wrote Margaret Hale as a chara ...more
Published December 15th 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published April 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Margaret of the North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret of the North

David Gregory Lloyd
The romantic classics follow a rather simple recipe. Man and woman meet. There is immediately an underlying attraction, but before they can act upon it, events lead them astray and they grow to despise each other, even more so because of the sexual tension which haunts them. But, in the end, it is true love which conquers all and our hero and heroine join together in a passionate embrace, ensuring us that they will live happily ever after.

There is something smugly satisfying in reading such a ha
Xenia
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fourth sequel to Elizabeth Gaskell's North & South that I read. I enjoyed it very much which surpised me. My most favorite thing about the book is the love between John Thornton and Margaret Hale which is constant. It never faltered, not even once. That aspect, I think, is very important to the story and honors Elizabeth Gaskell. Anything less would have ruined the book for me and I probably would not have finished it. Unlike many romance novels of today the hero and heroine get ...more
Sevinar
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Note: THIS REVIEW IS FROM MY BLOG AND IS BASED ONLY ON THE VERY FIRST 7500 WORDS. IT IS HERE BY REQUEST TO HELP PEOPLE UNDERSTAND WHAT THIS NOVEL IS REALLY ABOUT AND THIS OBNOXIOUS CAPITAL LETTERING IS SO NO ONE OVERLOOKS THIS FACT.

Title: Margaret of the North
Author: EJourney
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Margaret-of-the...

Characters:
5/5
Erm okay, before I review this, I'd just like to admit to the world that I have a subscription to Netflix and well, you know how Netflix stalks your preferences?
Kat
Mar 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, other
Second time I read this book.
Of course, I am a big fan of both the novel and the mini-series - so much, that the novel set the inspiration for my master's thesis.

First and foremost, I originally and now started reading this book to get more of Margaret and John. When it comes to their love, their passion, and the way they simply belong together, this book is beyond perfect. On more than one occasion, I read with a big smile on my face, and a sigh every other minute. The author created a truly s
Susan Frances
May 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Author E. Journey strives to create a sequel to Elizabeth Gaskell’s novel North and South in the vane of authors who have attempted to write a sequel to Margaret Mitchell’s Gone with the Wind. Similarly to authors who have continued the relationship between Scarlet O’Hara and Rhett Butler after he walks out of Tara, Journey’s book Margaret of the North provides subsequent chapters to Margaret Hale and John Thornton’s story.

The narration focuses on the experiences of Victorian Age maiden Margaret
Rhee
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure

I enjoyed this book. It took me longer to read than books normally 2x as long. I'm not sure if it was because of the discourse (no spoilers), the writing style, or what. It seemed perhaps longer than it should have been. I think tho that Margaret was perhaps more true in some weird way to the original North and South, same with Hannah Thorton, not sure about John, alas.
Rich
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First, a disclosure: I am related to the writer. But I did do my dissertation on married women's reactions to changing social possibilities, a strong theme in this book. So, I do have something to say although I did balk at reading this novel, at first. I don't get much into romances. But I did relent and was surprised to find this novel engaging.

This novel is more than just a romance. It also tries to further develop some of the complexity of Gaskell’s original novel. Margaret is more independe
Indie Kindle Blitz
E. Journey’s Margaret of the North is an engaging sequel to Elizabeth Gaskell’s North and South. The story of Margaret and John’s romance from North and South is one that really engages readers and leaves them wanting more. Journey has fulfilled that desire with her book. Readers who enjoyed North and South will find reading this sequel to be a distinct pleasure.

Journey brings a freshness and vitality to Gaskell’s characters. Margaret is every bit as compelling a character as she was in Gaskell’
Deba
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This seams to be a continuation of "North and South" by Elizabeth Gaskell. E Journey does bring a harvested extension and vitality to the characters. I found the transition between reading Gaskell and reading E Journey to be a rather interesting follow-up. Margaret is a compelling a character as she was in Gaskell's book "North and South". Tis a compelling story of love, honor, fear, pain and the strength of the characters we read about in that book are carried into this book. This book kept me ...more
Kristin
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was ok
When I first received this Goodreads Giveaway, I was concerned at reading the back cover: "Your guilty pleasure. An enduring romance." I thought maybe I had stumbled upon erotica or something. The dedication perpetuated that concern: "...we find it not only in longing, aching gestures and smoldering eyes;..." Thankfully, the book is not that way at all, but it is way over the top when it comes to gushy prose and description. I am not the right audience for this book. I love Jane Austen and her a ...more
Christina (SteepedinBooks)
The writing in this story is quite lovely and heartfelt, but I spent most of my reading time waiting for something to happen, for some drama to unfold. There were a few things that added to the plot - family tensions, mostly - but not much in the way of external drama or conflict. Most of the book is just John and Margaret being happy. Over and over again. I'd rate the plot and lack of conflict a 2/5, but the writing style bumps it up a notch for me.
Marcia
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Terrible!!! I hate the time I lost reading this book. the author changed the personalities and behaviors of the characters. Margaret and John were unrecognized. They were well-resolved for all the moment were unsure about the feelings of others.

Positive point for the passage of the time. View prosperous mill and grown children was very cool.
Sue
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gaskell
I loved this novel for the most part. I've always loved these characters. I felt they evolved and changed and matured as all of us do. I loved the honeymoon in Paris, the sights, scenes, childhood memories. The reunion with Frederick and his wife was lovely. Mr Thornton relaxes a little. The struggles with mrs. Thornton are accurate...things change when ones children get married.
Diana Donnelly
Mar 05, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a Goodreads win. Believe this was a sequel and if that is so my rating perhaps isn't fair. I thought the book was very well written but for me it tended to drag. It's an historical romance which takes place in England.
Tina
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Closure

Selected this version of a possible ending to the book North and South. It followed the excellent BBC mini series with Richard Armitage and was a satisfying happily ever after ending to the story for those that want to imagine more.
Claudia Harrington
This book is a continuation of the movie North and South. I expected a better from this book, but it was ok. some of the content of the book didn't mach the period or the characters in the original book. But writer did a very good job writing a good story.
Genevieve
Decent N&S sequel. Not the best but not the worst.
Donna O'neill
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it, big fan of Elizabeth Gaskell's North & South, great suquel
Michaela
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it
A bit boring, although it deals with the problems between Margaret and Hannah. Like Trudy Brasures novels more, as they show the love between John and Margaret more openly.
Betty King
Very good read, a little dry in places but it all leads up to good.
Miriam
Jul 01, 2013
Cheryl Wilcox
Oct 02, 2016
Cori
rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2014
pea.
Oct 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Heart for Milton: A Tale from North and South
  • Raoul (The Angel of Music, #1)
  • Jane Eyre's Husband - The Life of Edward Rochester
  • Before the Dawn
  • The Soldier's Sweetheart (The Larkville Legacy #7)
  • The Gold of Mansa Musa
  • The Journey
  • Wounded But Not Scarred (New Adult Rockers, #2)
  • Behind the Rake's Wicked Wager
  • Feline Lovers
  • For All the Wrong Reasons
  • Darcy's Dilemma (A Fair Prospect, #2)
  • No Return: A Contemporary Phantom Tale
  • Love Birds: Beyond Death
  • Mr. Darcy's Letter: A Pride & Prejudice Variation
  • Mass Extinction Event: The Complete First Series (#1 to 8)
  • In Honor Bound (The Chastelayne Trilogy, #1)
  • Finding Refuge