Start by marking “Cliff of the Ruin” as Want to Read:
Cliff of the Ruin

Cliff of the Ruin

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  28 reviews
There are three good reasons why dashing Civil War hero and New York lawyer William Teague cannot tell artist Mae Kendrick he's in love with her. One, she told him he was dull. Two, she is the niece of an important client. Three, she just hired him to find the man she doesn't remember marrying.

As Will unravels this peculiar case, he makes a shocking discovery about Mae's c
Paperback, 2014, 416 pages
Published November 1st 2012 by Abbott Press

To ask other readers questions about Cliff of the Ruin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cliff of the Ruin

Tahlia Newland
Cliff of the Ruin is historical fantasy with complex undercurrents, spiritual depth and many surprises. It takes us from post revolution America, across the ocean to Ireland and into the lair of the Shee (the Sidhe). The story begins like a straight historical novel. Mae lives with her aunt and uncle, and their children, Aaron, a young man, and Charlotte, still a child. All of them are keen to find a husband for twenty six year old Mae, but after a broken engagement, she isn't particularly inter ...more
Karen
I loved this book. It has, at it's heart, wonderful characters you bond with and feel for. It is a mystery; a fairytale; a love story. Set in the late 1800's, post civil war, this story takes you from the small farm town of Stillwater, NJ to the bustling streets of New York City, and across the seas to a magical Ireland. The main character, Mae, is caught up in a whirlwind of adventure in trying to solve the mysteries of her past, while dealing with a few mysteries of her present as well. Willia ...more
Rabbit {Paint me like one of your 19th century gothic heroines!}
Disclaimer: This ARC was given to me for free in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley.

The writing was beautiful, and the story was wonderfully plotted. A little slow, but worth it.
a_tiffyfit
Review: 5 out of 5 stars

Boy, I have really had a string of excellent books lately. I feel so very lucky! This book was one of those where I smile as I turn the final page (or thumb my kindle in this case) and let out a satisfied sigh, heart happy about the romance, the story, and my little reader’s trip to the past.

Ms. McKernan’s book starts us off in New Jersey, post-Civil War, introducing us to the Kendrick family and Mae, the protagonist of this story, and William Teague – Civil War hero, la
Awesome Indies Reviewers
Cliff of the Ruin by Bonnie McKernan is an awesome historical fantasy with complex undercurrents, spiritual depth and many surprises. It takes us from post revolution America, across the ocean to Ireland and into the lair of the Shee (the Sidhe). The story begins like a straight historical novel. Mae lives with her aunt and uncle, and their children, Aaron, a young man, and Charlotte, still a child. All of them are keen to find a husband for twenty six year old Mae, but after a broken engagement ...more
Jenny Q
I feel bad tossing this aside after a hundred pages in the face of all these glowing reviews, but I am just not feeling it. It's all over the place and confusing. And I am not liking the heroine's flighty behavior. Maybe I'll give it another go one day, but for now, there are too many other books on Mount TBR calling my name.
Liane
Loved this book!! So well written it felt as if I was there in the midst of the characters. The plot was complex with many interwoven side plots. The suspense kept me wanting to read on....this was a great book!! I highly recommend it!!
Kelley Thomas
Fantastic characters with a plot that kept me guessing!
Brenda
4.5 This is the first book I have ever won!! Thank you Bonnie McKernan and Goodreads!!

Here are the things I really liked about this book:

The story line was super interesting. I love it when I can not guess the ending and this one had lots of fun surprises in it, right up to the last pages.
I enjoyed learning more about Irish folklore and history. I thought McKernan did an excellent job in her research. I appreciated her bibliography at the end for the literary references she made throughout the
Page (One Book At A Time)
I was really excited for this book. The setting of America, Ireland, and add in a touch of folklore just sounded so promising. I'm happy to say this was a fantastic book.

I wasn't sure what to think of Mae at first. When we are first introduced to her to her she's an aging spinster with very little hope of marrying. I always find that intriguing and wanting to know circumstances indicating why. When she meets Will, I knew we had a potential match but that it was only a portion of the story. When
Kathleen Kelly
Cliff of the Ruin is a story that tells the tale of Mae Kendrick, who lives with her aunt and uncle in New Jersey and finishes in Ireland. Mae hires lawyer Will Teague to help her find her elusive husband, she knows she is married but does not have a lot of memories regarding this. She and her brother go along with Will to Ireland to investigate the disappearance of her husband for the purpose of obtaining a divorce and to find her father who abandoned her when she was young.

Ireland is full of m
Carmen
Goodreads win! 4.5 stars

Cliff of the Ruin is a Historical Fiction novel filled with Irish fairy folklore and many surprises and quite some laughter. The book was sort of long and a bit draggy in the beginning, but once you get to the climax, the reading is much smoother. There were moments of confusion for me because I don't know much about Irish folklore's, but as you read along, you kind of understand a bit more.

This novel was about Mae, a girl who thought she was just another ordinary girl,
Sue Gibson
It's not often you come across a novel laced with Irish poetry and fast-paced action, but Bonnie McKernan gifts the reader with both in perfect balance. The book starts out in rural New Jersey and from there we join feisty Mae and the unflappable Will as they travel back to Ireland on a mutual quest.

As I read on, the story unfolded like a lush Hollywood movie. McKernan paints a cinematic backdrop that feels as real as the shining dew on the grass and the harsh sea wind against your cheek.

Mae is
Compulsion Reads
It’s 1879, and at nearly twenty-six years of age, Mae Kendrick is fast on her way to becoming an old maid. Despite her beauty and the continued love and support of the aunt and uncle with whom she lives, Mae cannot seem to find a suitable…suitor. That is, until Mae sets eyes upon the handsome and utterly charming Kieran McCree. Kieran seems intent on wooing Mae, and his allure is hypnotizing in more ways than one.

Enter William Teague, a handsome yet reserved lawyer who survived the Civil War wi
Meg - A Bookish Affair
3.5 stars. "Cliff of the Ruin" has so many of the elements that I really love in a book. There are interesting characters with interesting backgrounds. There's an interesting historical setting and time. There's even a little bit of magical realism thrown in (one of my very favorite elements). All of these things came together really well in this book and made for a very interesting read.

This book did start out a little bit slowly for me. It takes awhile for the story to really get going but onc
Star (The Bibliophilic Book Blog)
Mae Kendrick lives with her aunt, uncle, and cousins on a farm in Stillwater, New Jersey. She isn’t interested in a relationship or marriage, but wants to focus on her painting instead. She’s steadily reaching an ‘old-maid’ age while her friends, few as they are, are getting married and starting families. Yet, when Mae meets Kieran McCree while he’s out fishing on her uncle’s land, she’s oddly smitten. At the same time, Mae’s uncle has invited William Teague, a New York lawyer, to meet Mae and s ...more
Pat
In the beginning, I thought Cliff of the Ruin was going to be a conventional romance novel with a headstrong heroine choosing between different beaus. But the book quickly turned into much more with its themes of the haunting past and the importance of faith and family. I found the characters intriguing and the settings realistic. The Celtic folklore elements blended well with the rest of the plot and added much to the depth. All in all, a very enjoyable read.
I received a complimentary copy of t
Linda Sims
HAUNTING

filled with interesting characters and an intriguing plot the author has created an haunting and atmospheric read. Set in the late nineteenth century.
Mae Kendrick has a slight problem she's married but has no memory of it, hoping to discover the truth she enlists the help of William Teague a lawyer and war hero. William is immediately drawn to the beautiful Mae, but she doesn't think much of him. In fact she thinks he's rather dull.
Their journey takes them from America to Ireland. Much
Delicious Strawberry
I was hooked into this book from the beginning. I absolutely love historical fiction, and that is not a genre that is easy to pull off. However, the author does it with flair and grace, not getting just the technology right, but how men and women were expected to act in this period, and the legal rights women had. The story itself is intriguing and well-written, and the ending took me for a complete loop.

Not that I am saying the ending was over the top, but I can tell you that most parts of the
GONZA
Strange story with a twist that I tought at the beginning was not for me, started slowly and involved, maybe, fayries, but nothing was really at it seemed and the charachters became interesting so, in the end I couldn't put down the book, and it was ok because I really enjoyed this book.

Strana storia che all'inizio non pensavo mi sarebbe piaciuta, primo perchè l'inizio è veramente lento, poi ad un certo punto anche le fate e insomma....ma i personaggi poi diventavano sempre più interessanti e la
Claire
Review published at Bitches With Books. To read, click the link!

Excerpt:
I have mixed feelings about Cliff of the Ruin. I didn't dislike the book, at all actually but it took a great deal of goading to finish it. I don't know why this is so, I had some minor issues with the characters but in general it was an average read. So why did it take me all of 3 months to finish? And why did I dread having to do so?

Name
Amanda Phillips
I found Cliff of the Ruin a bit tedious to start but a chapter in, I didn't want to put it down to go to bed. This book kept me interested until the last page between wondering what on earth was going on to the Irish fairy tales told throughout the book. I loved the characters and the folklore made the story even better. There were a few times during the book that I couldn't follow the story because it kept skipping around between characters but I quickly figured out what was going on. On the wh ...more
Sue
This is a romance in the best possible sense of the word. There is a bit of fantasy, mystery, love, humor--the only thing lacking was a plane ticket to Ireland! I got absolutely lost in the story. There are twists and turns to the plot I won't spoil, but be assured it keeps the pages turning. Ms. McKernan's writing is polished and assured, someone to watch. I would recommend this book to fans of Daphne DuMaurier, or to anyone who enjoys romantic adventures.
Becca
I was enjoying this book, as it has likeable characters and an interesting plot.
With that said, I couldn't get past the first 1/3 of the book. It just kept dragging on and on. I think it would have been a much better story if some of the filler had been edited out. I might revisit this book one day, but I have to give it up for now as I am just not enjoying it anymore.
Angelique Grathwohl
I was initially hesitant when I saw all of the themes that were included in this book, it was a romantic fantasy with a little bit of a lone-ranger cowboy complex? But then I dove into the depths of Irish folklore and a farm not too far from where I actually grew up, an soon realized that this book for much more than the sum of its parts.
Nancy
More romance than mystery. Diversion but not the best book you will ever read.
Shannon Doty
Great book. Great Characters!
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Karen Davies
Karen Davies marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
  • Earthquake Storms: The Fascinating History and Volatile Future of the San Andreas Fault
  • Mania: The Story of the Outraged and Outrageous Lives That Launched a Cultural Revolution
  • A Different Kingdom
  • Throat of the Night (The Angelaeon Circle, #3)
  • The Marijuana Chronicles
  • Roses Have Thorns: A Novel of Elizabeth I (Ladies in Waiting #3)
  • Somewhere Beneath Those Waves
  • The Vegan Cookbook
  • Supercell
  • The Huaca
  • The Fatal Crown
  • I Can't Be Good All the Time: An Anne Taintor Collection
  • Tam Lin
  • Once upon a Dyke (New Exploits, #1)
  • Mistaking the Sea for Green Fields
  • Los Señores del Narco
  • The Book of Lilith
  • Home
Bonnie McKernan started her career as an advertising executive before making the unconventional switch to copywriting years later. She's lived on three continents and draws from her travels to write historical romantic adventures that, in her words, "blend lighthearted amusement with themes you'll want to chew on."

Recipient, Writer's Digest Mark of Quality award for Cliff of the Ruin.

She also writ
More about Bonnie McKernan...

“Less thinking. More trust. Breathe.” 4 likes