Start by marking “When God Intervenes: An Extraordinary Story of Faith, Hope, and the Power of Prayer” as Want to Read:

4.48  ·  Rating details ·  100 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"She'll never make it through the night."

When Dabney Hedegard was six weeks pregnant, doctors discovered an eight-inch tumor embedded in her chest. She was diagnosed with cancer and opted to postpone treatment until further along in her pregnancy. This marked the beginning of a ten-year battle against cancer, cardiomyopathy, mitral valve prolapse, pulmonary embolism, acute
Published July 1st 2013 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published June 21st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about When God Intervenes, please sign up.
Shawna Pray to God, I bet he'll send you one, but if that doesn't work, try a book store, library, or amazon.com.

Am4u ❀ ~ AprilMarie4u ~ ❀
I'd recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading religious testimonies.

This book is basically an autobiography about the author's, Dabney Hedegard, personal journey with her faith while going through numerous medical problems. The author does also include her own personal story with common real life struggles that many people could relate to, like marriage & financial problems.

Overall this book is a well written, fast, & easy read that will have your emotions all over the place.

Orbs n Rings
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
More than a story about miracles. An incredible journey of faith.

When God Intervenes is an amazing memoir and the most inspirational story I have ever come across in my years of reading memoirs. The nightmare for Dabney Hedegard begins while pregnant with her first child at the age of 25. Now diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma Dabney has to decide whether to save herself or her unborn child. In this powerful and moving memoir Dabney takes the reader through her life as she battles not only with ca
Ann
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Somehow reading true stories gives me the impression that my reading is more significant or productive. This type of reading provides me with both the benefit of experience and the sentiments, which I am sometimes left with after having read such sort of books.

In general, after reading the back cover as reference, you sort of think you know or guessed what your in for. Actually, this is not quite what you will be getting in this case. Hedegard writes brilliantly and honestly, all the while going
Hilary
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When God Intervenes by Dabney Hedegard is an absolutely amazing testimony of one woman’s triumph over the death-sentence placed upon her by multiple diagnoses of cancer and other insurmountable health issues. I found myself completely absorbed by the end of the first page. So much so, I read it straight through in one sitting, sometimes crying, sometimes rejoicing out loud as I saw the Hand of God revealed in one spunky little lady’s life.

The testimony of God’s faithfulness in the midst of devas
Kathryn Svendsen
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, biography
This was an amazing book about an amazing journey. Imagine finding out when you are six weeks pregnant that you have an eight-inch tumour (Hodgekins lymphoma) inside your chest. You have to make a decision about whether to abort the child and begin treatment right away, or wait until the baby is born. In the meantime, the tumour could kill you. That was the choice given to Dabney Hedegard.

This book was a well-written chronicle of the ten-year long journey that God took Dabney on. She should have
Blessedmomfxs
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dabney Hedegard has an amazing story. She defied death again and again, and recognized that God’s providential hand was instrumental in the miraculous events. Most people in Dabney’s situation would be shaking their fist at God, asking “Why me?” and having a royal pity party. She was diagnosed with Hodgkins when she was only 25 years old -- and also SIX WEEKS PREGNANT -- and her daunting medical trials were only just beginning.

Dabney’s story is rich with details. As an RN, I cringe when I read
C.E. Hart
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-nf
Wow. This truly is a can’t-put-it-down book! The first page sucked me in, turning pages as quickly as possible to see what happened next. It took me through a myriad of emotions, and made me reflect on my own life.

The first chapter, dealing with Dabney’s symptoms and diagnosis is breathtaking! I put myself in her place, in her life, and making the difficult decisions she had to make.

Don’t ever doubt there is power in prayer. Never ever.

I really enjoyed this book, not only for the story, but fo
Emanuela
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ce e mai minunat decat modul in care Dumnezeu intervine si Slava Lui care`o descopera celor ce`L cauta. Mare Dumnezeu avem!
What`s more wonderful than the way God intervenes and His Glory that He reveals to those who search for Him. What a Great God we have!
Melanie
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book isn't bad, I just really think the author would have benefitted from collaborating with a more experienced author. The overall story is pretty amazing and inspiring, it's a shame because told well, this could've been an amazing book.
Yiya
Jul 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When Dabney and Jason thought that their marriage would fall apart, they had pretty concerning and happy news: growing in Dabney’s body, there were a tumor and a baby… The diagnosis kicks off a rollercoaster of events so drastic that often seem impossible to bear; so much pain and hope mixed together and the story of a woman who refused to give up and chose to grow closer to God along with her husband, despite the most dreadful and challenging circumstances. In a nutshell, this book is Dabney’s ...more
Lizzie
May 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It’s not very often I use the term “inspiring” or “an inspiration” but "When God Intervenes" and Dabney Hedegard are just that.

When author Dabney was only six weeks pregnant, doctors found a football-sized tumor in her chest which sparked a ten-year battle with her health that included four near-death experiences.

If you don’t believe in God or are struggling with your faith right now, I dare you to read this book. I promise it will change you. I have never been so touched by a book as I have thi
Jennifer Clausen-greene
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and amazing story of letting God control your life, against all odds. keeping your faith, hope and eyes on Him for guidance in all things, no matter how fearful you might be or how unexpected life might become. This was am amazing, uplifting story or love and sacrifice. Beautifully told, you will not be able to put this book down. I laughed, cried and my heart was overfilled. The faithfulness to God of this family is inspiring. Dabey's willingness to continue to serve God through all h ...more
Leah
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is not just another story of a woman surviving cancer. This is not just another story of God stepping in and performing miracles.

Dabney Hedegard faced death many times. When I say faced death I mean she was at the state where her next breath most likely would be her last. Six weeks into her first pregnancy an eight-inch tumor embedded in her chest was discovered. With abortion not an option she'd consider, treatment was postponed until she had progressed in the pregnancy. This was the begin
Soleil
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When God Intervenes is a remarkable story about Dabney Hedegard. She writes her personal story of when was six weeks pregnant and was diagnosed with cancer at 25 and decided to postpone the treatment until after her first pregnancy. This marked the beginning of ten years battling cancer, cardiomyopathy, mitral valve porlapse, pulmonary embolism, acute pneumonia, kidney failure, respiratory failure, and heart failure. Ever time Dabney was given less than a 30% chance of surviving, and twice docto ...more
Leemarie J. Morales
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads, reviewed
Review for:

I could not put this book down once I started reading it! I took it with me to read on my walk home from my son's school, on TV commercials, bathroom breaks, before going to bed, while my husband was driving, you get the point. I really enjoyed reading Dabney's testimony, how honest she was with readers about her fears, doubts, and sadness among other feelings and personal life details she shared. Yes,
Suzette
May 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Truly inspirational! I went through my own battle with cancer yet I still can not even imagine going through all the many trials that Dabney Hedegard did. Her journey begins as she battles cancer while pregnant! Dabney's story kept me reading well into the night. I couldn't put the book down. Her vulnerability is very refreshing as she shares all.
Patricia Weitzel
Wonderful story of God's love

A great read. I sat and read the whole book in one day. God is all powerful and all loving. This family has a wonderful story to remind us all of that love.
Mary
Sep 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing Story

This story is a testament to the power of God and his deep love and faithfulness. Here is a woman who trusted The Lord, but struggled with believing God that she would be healed.
Time after time He proved to her and to all those around her, that He is able.
Libby
May 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Wow what a great story of God's intervention in a woman's life with many health challenges we get to see walk with her through them coming through in miraculous ways in answer to prayer yet she still has to go through each instance. Very encouraging.
Belebe
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What an awesome testimony! Dabney is an amazing lady with such strong determination and love for God and her family! She battled cancer and other life-threatening diseases and illnesses for 10 years! This story is also a great testament of the power of prayer! Praise and glory to God!
Frans Karlsson
Nov 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, christian
A story of how God helped Dabney and her family through her sicknesses.
Trina Duvall
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-read-wins
Good reads win!

A good read if you are into religious testimonies. Not my biggest thing.
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book. A true testament to knowing that we should not doubt God's work in our lives!
Teri Fox
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a great book of faith, hope and perseverance. Loved the book.
Linda
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
What an inspiring story! This woman went through experiences many would liken to Hell on Earth, and not only survived, but thrived, through her faith and the support of friends and family.
Jenny Schiralli
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just simply beautiful!

I loved reading this sweet story of God's love and the power of prayer. it was such an encouragement to me.
Jessica
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A faith building story of healing
Emily Jenkins
Dec 09, 2016
Linda
Oct 26, 2013
connie jo matry
Apr 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Named By God: Overcoming Your Past, Transforming Your Present, Embracing Your Future
  • More Glimpses of Heaven: Inspiring True Stories of Hope and Peace at the End of Life's Journey
  • The Eyes of the Heart: Seeing God's Hand in the Everyday Moments of Life
  • Heaven for Kids
  • Hell Is Real (But I Hate to Admit It)
  • The Ultimate Prescription: What the Medical Profession Isn't Telling You
  • I'm No Angel: From Victoria's Secret Model to Role Model
  • Be Daring (Acts 13-28): Put Your Faith Where the Action Is (The BE Series Commentary)
  • Saved Without A Doubt: Being Sure of Your Salvation
  • The 13: Fall (The 13, #1)
  • If You Have a Craving, I Have a Cure: Experience Food, Faith, and Fulfillment a Whole New Way
  • Which None Can Shut
  • Beyond Ordinary: When a Good Marriage Just Isn't Good Enough
  • Miracles Are for Real: What Happens When Heaven Touches Earth
  • Heaven Hears: The True Story of What Happened When Pat Boone Asked the World to Pray for His Grandson's Survival
  • My Emily
  • Can I Be Sure I'm Saved? (Crucial Questions, #7)
  • 24/6: A Prescription for a Healthier, Happier Life
Dabney Hedegard is a writer, speaker and professional patient. At age 25, while 6 weeks pregnant, Dabney was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Her decision to keep her child marked the beginning of a decade-long battle against cancers, pulmonary embolisms, Cardiomyopathy,and 7 other life-threatening illnesses.

In addition to writing for The Good News Newspaper, Dabney is active in social media an
More about Dabney Hedegard

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Loudest Voice in the Room: How Roger Ailes and Fox News Remade American Politics
  • The Storm of War: A New History of the Second World War
  • The Art of Power
  • Through My Eyes
  • A Brief History of Everything
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The World's Religions, Revised and Updated (Plus)
  • Leonardo's Notebooks