Start by marking “Sticking Points: How to Get 4 Generations Working Together in the 12 Places They Come Apart” as Want to Read:

This is the first time in American history that we have had four different generations working side-by-side in the workplace: the Traditionalists (born before 1945), the Baby Boomers (born 1945-1964), Gen X (born 1965-1980), and the Millennials (born 1981-2001).

Haydn Shaw, popular business speaker and generational expert, has identified 12 places where the 4 generations t
Published August 1st 2013 by Tyndale Momentum (first published July 22nd 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Sticking Points, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sticking Points

Start your review of Sticking Points: How to Get 4 Generations Working Together in the 12 Places They Come Apart
Beth Peninger
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, THIS. What a great, and important, read. I really want to gift the executive team with copies and ask them to read and discuss - with a cross section of generations of course.
A friend of mine brought this book to my attention some time back. She had heard a summary talk on it and found just the 45 minutes she heard fascinating. And it IS fascinating.
Anything that starts with the fact that we have, for the first time in history, 4 generations working together in the workplace makes for fasc
Isabella Colosimo
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sticking Points by Haydn Shaw focuses on the melding of generations within the workplace. He discusses a five step process to apply to the twelve ‘sticking points’ that generally tear generations apart. These sticking points tend to lead to misunderstanding, irritation, and stereotypes that hinder teamwork. There is a large focus on differing attitudes toward work hours, texting, social media, and respect. Before reading this book, I didn't realize that different people don't get along at school ...more
Jared Nelson
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Enjoyed the perspective and comparison among the four generations currently in the workplace: Traditionalists (born before 1945), Baby Boomers (1946-1964), Generation X (1965-1980) and Millennials (1981-2001).

The book was well organized and easy to read. The first 8 chapters (of 19) were by far the best, since the author continued to provide new information.

Chapters 9-19 were largely redundant comparisons on specific workplace topics and very general characteristics of the 4 generations. I was
Matt
Oct 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Good summary of generational differences and strategies to overcome them. Almost humorously tailored toward clueless baby-boomer era managers who don't realize that the world has changed, and will continue to do so! :) ...more
Karen
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, 2017
This book should be required reading for all adults. I cannot get enough of my "learn on" in generational differences. The information is relevant...fascinating...and spot on!! Understanding generational differences is invaluable for those who lead people, but it also serves the same level of importance to anyone who interacts with people across the generations (read: ALL OF US).

Whereas Haydn Shaw's other book, Generational IQ, focus's more on how generational differences impact the church, Stic
Sara
Feb 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-for-work, 2018
I read this for my work as a director of lifespan religious education for a church. While the introduction and first few chapters of the book stated several times that the generational issues in the book would be applicable in non-profit and family settings, in reality the rest of the book almost exclusively approached the sticking points with business examples. So I was a bit disappointed about that.

However, there is some good advice and good context to be found here, particularly in the ghost
Maria
Shaw is a business consulting, helping companies deal with the fact that for the first time they have 4 generations working together. He lists 12 sticking points and why the generations see these issues differently. Things like managing one’s own time, texting, social media, organizational structure, and of course, clothing preferences, and more.

Why I started this book: Was looking for a short book to fit into the breaks during family time.

Why I finished it: Fascinating to read and fun to talk a
Smh624
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book for my work. The overall concepts presented are very useful so the book is worth skimming for that reason alone. I found actual analysis to be too generalized and the generations are not defined and characterized consistent with my experience. It also is odd to me at this point that the author thinks the "traditional" generation is presence in the workplace. You have to be 75 to be in this category. I think generational differences are real and being conscious of them will make ...more
Heather Stock
Dec 14, 2018 rated it liked it
A good read that discusses the melding of generations within the workplace. Shaw discusses a five step process to apply to the twelve ‘sticking points’ that generally tear generations apart. For the first time in history, there are four generations in the workplace at the same time: Traditionalists (those born before 1945), Baby Boomers (1946-1964), Gen Xers (1965-1980) and Millennials (1981-2001). Good read for anyone that interacts with people across multiple generations.
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that I listened to on Audible, then decided I had to have it in print because there are so many resources in it. Great book that made me re-examine my own generational preferences versus needed processes. I don't tend to subscribe to generalizations of this sort but found myself unable to argue with the information presented here. I think it will be helpful moving forward and would highly recommend this book :) ...more
Steve
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Clear way to look at 12 different parts of most business cultures, looking at each from the perspective of the four generations currently working (traditional, baby boomer, generation x, millennial). I really like that there are charts for each topic that can be referenced in the future.

Bottom line: communication, listening and being willing to try co-worker's ideas is a good way to address generational ideals and input.
Karrie Flegal
Apr 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I really appreciated this book’s perspective on the different generations. It is applicable not only for the work place but also life- family, church, friendships. It surprised me at times with the reality of how much of a Millennial I am, but also it helped me realize how many of my frustrations are the results of generational differences that I can be better equipped to understand and now navigate.
Edward Bellis
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well done

Heydn flexed his intellect with this book. His razor sharp understanding of the differences in generations is profound. His motivation clarity is insightful. His descriptions spot on target. Seeing differences as opportunities, recognizing their power, and leveraging their assets gives this book the 5 star rating. Well done. Well done!
Karla G.
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great book. I found myself not wanting to put the book down, not rushing to read it. I found myself making notes and understanding myself and those around me. This book will have you opening discussion from all walk styles. I found myself being compassionate and sympathetic to those around me. This book is worth buying and keeping.
David Kemp
I found this a very enlightening book. Easy to read but substantive.

We have two choices in life. We can stand still and expect people to come to us on our terms, or we can decide to practice Servant Leadership and start leading people from where they are. This book provides practice insight and instructions to achieve the latter choice.
Bill J Marion
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every leader formal or informal should read this book

I enjoyed how Shaw points out that this isn’t just an issue between boomers and millennials.! It’s between all generations. We do have more in common than we have in differences. Great book!
Bryan Reeder
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book to follow up Generational IQ. As a persons who works with many millennials, I found Sticking Points to be extremely insightful. I would recommend this book to any leader that is working in a multi-generational setting.
Quinn
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book on four generations (although there are now five) with a strong message: we can ignore, negotiate, force, or help them grow. Spoiler alert: the first three don't work. The rest of the book is an in-depth review of how values change, but authority lags behind. ...more
Monica
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating and insightful look at the four generations in the workplace. Gave me helpful ideas and turned on several lightbulbs!
Jul 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
This was very good and insightful. It did drag on a little longer than it needed to. But overall, it was a worthwhile read!
Brian Heckber
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

If you work, this is a must read to help understand the generations in the workplace. Well-written with great sources and practical application.
Roy
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bit formulaic and dated but still interesting and useful.
Kalie
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Read this book for a class. It’s a little dated especially reading it during the time of Coronavirus. I do think there are some useful ideas for working with different generations effectively.
James
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
For the first time in history, there are four generations in the workplace at the same time: Traditionalists (those born before 1945), Baby Boomers (1946-1964), Gen Xers (1965-1980) and Millennials (1981-2001).   Each of these generations grew up with  experiences that shaped their ideology,practice and assumptions. Traditionalists (or Builders) came back from World War II and built  many of the major companies and still lead many of these organizations. Boomers entered the work force and climbe ...more
Kati Grabham
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for leaders/team members trying to lead and succeed in 2017. I recommend thus must for my friend who are military leaders - especially those over the age of 35.
John Nichols
Jul 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
In Sticking Points, Haydn Shaw opens our eyes to a common source of conflict in today’s workplace. We have 4 generations attempting to work side by side: the Traditionalists (born before 1945), the Baby Boomers (born 1945-1964), Gen X (born 1965-1980), and the Millennials (born 1981-2001). Each generation employs their own preferred forms of communication. Problem identification and resolution differ across the generations and each group expects something different from the work experience. Shaw ...more
Richard
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
With the economy the way it has been and people living longer, we have four generations that could be working together. How in the world can we get them, with their own ideas of work-habits, to work effectively?

Haydn Shaw believes he has the answer. He has compiled a list of twelve aspects of work where these generational differences can unravel a job. Then he provides ideas on getting the success a job needs.

The first three chapters set the stage as it discusses the difficulties of leading the
Janet Reeves
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Traditionalists.
Boomers.
Gen Xers.
Millenials.

If you find the similarities and differences between these generations intriguing, irritating, or both, you will enjoy reading Sticking Points by Haydn Shaw. Shaw wrote this book to help the four generations currently in the workplace understand each other better, so that they can work together more effectively, leveraging each other’s strengths instead of complaining about traits each finds perplexing in the other. He compares communicating with someo
Jeremy Runk
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book as part of a group at work. This is one part of many training's and informational sessions focused on creating a better and more rewarding work culture. I think this book and training session is going to be the most fruitful of all the sessions we've done. The book was certainly worth the read as an individual, but the the most impact is going to be felt by the majority of the company reading the book as one.

The book is split into basically two parts:
Part 1: a summary of the m
William
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
In my possession are various books, each one profiling one generation. Several hundred pages would have to be devoured in order to grasp the four generations currently in today’s workforce. What Haydn Shaw does is address these four generations in summary form in one 288 page volume.

He begins by giving various anecdotes from his teaching seminars to employers and managers. Traditionalists and Boomers complain about the younger generations and Generation X’ers gripe about the Boomers above them

• Evidence Not Seen: A Woman's Miraculous Faith in the Jungles of World War II
  • Keep It Shut: What to Say, How to Say It, and When to Say Nothing at All
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • The Adventures of Robin Hood
  • Gospel Treason: Betraying the Gospel with Hidden Idols
  • Brandraising: How Nonprofits Raise Visibility and Money Through Smart Communications
  • Charity Case: How the Nonprofit Community Can Stand Up for Itself and Really Change the World
  • What Great Brands Do: The Seven Brand-Building Principles That Separate the Best from the Rest
Haydn Shaw is a leading expert on understanding generational differences and transforming negative work environments and employees. He is a full-time speaker and consultant for FranklinCovey specializing in leadership, execution, and personal productivity methodologies. Before that, he was a minister for nine years and has a seminary degree. Haydn has worked with more than 1,000 businesses, not-fo ...more