Start by marking “Kauai Stories: Life on the Garden Island Told by Kauai's People” as Want to Read:
Kauai Stories: Life on the Garden Island Told by Kauai's People

Kauai Stories: Life on the Garden Island Told by Kauai's People

Take home the joy of Hawaii in this collection of 50 inspiring, humorous and touching stories about life in the happiest state in America told by people of the island of Kauai. Feel the ocean spray as residents share their love of surfing, canoe paddling and strolling along secluded sun-drenched beaches, often making the only footsteps in the sand. Learn hula from women wh ...more
Published October 1st 2012 by Write Path, LLC (first published September 19th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Kauai Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kauai Stories

Start your review of Kauai Stories: Life on the Garden Island Told by Kauai's People
Carrie Westmoreland Kurtz
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy stories about real people's lives. It is interesting to read about different people in the same area, how their lives might be similar or different. If a story makes you feel like you were there, it is a good story!

I planned on waiting until the weather got a little warmer to read this book. I wanted to be able to picture myself in Kauai because, maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time reading a book about a hot climate when it is snowing outside! Anyways, I picked this book up
Rachel Ramey
Dec 14, 2017 rated it liked it
It was fair. I enjoyed hearing the hx of the island but I can't help but think some of the stories were cherry picked. Anyhow, It was fun and interesting. I liked hearing more about the people than the current mass amounts of tourism. I enjoyed the different topics and the book painted a beautiful picture.
A.D. Morel
Oct 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I like this book. Pamela Varma Brown did a good job of presenting the stories of peoples' lives on a beloved Hawai'ian island, with plenty of reminiscences of a time when sugar agriculture was the dominant activity.

Now we see the bones of the sugar plantations, remnants of days gone by. But in this book, the feelings and struggles of the workers become accessible to us. I'm especially grateful that Ms Brown explained about pidgin Hawai'ian in such a clear way. Her little introductions to the rea
Blaine
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A great touchstone to Kauai's past and a map-of-sorts that reveals how the island came to affect its inhabitants. A great read for all. It is funny, touching, and poignant at the same time. If you like Ronald Takaki, anthropology, or a means to reconnect and remember, you can't go wrong with this collection.
Judah Freed
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever been to Kauai or plan to visit, this diverse collection of personal stories from island residents makes this sweet effort by Pam Brown the "must read" book of the year.
Ellen Siem
Jan Beiting
Jan 27, 2014
John Johnson
Jun 17, 2017

• Our Crime Was Being Jewish: Hundreds of Holocaust Survivors Tell Their Stories
  • The Return Journey
  • The Year of My Miraculous Reappearance
  • Memoirs of a Gas Station: A Delightfully Awkward Journey Across the Alaskan Tundra
  • Second Hand Heart
  • The Shell Seekers
  • The Book of Separation
  • Tug Boat Life
  • The Storyteller
  • The Aviators (Brotherhood of War, #8)
  • The Captains (Brotherhood of War, #2)

News & Interviews

Award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa’s highly anticipated new book, Once I Was You: A Memoir of Love and Hate in a Torn America, arrives...